Is film editing better on Mac these days, or better on PC...

Is film editing better on Mac these days, or better on PC? Does professional film editors (not “content creators”) actually edit films on a Mac anymore?

Attached: image.jpg (1280x720, 438K)

Everything is better except gaming

ubuntu

>edit film on Windows 10
>tight deadline because the last two directors got fired and the last one called for last minute reshoots
>get an unskipable Windows update
>shit doesn't boot up because MS broke something again
>lose hundreds of million dollars because you missed the blockbuster season

most of em probably migrated to PCs because Apple hasn't refreshed their workstation line up for the past 5 years

>implying film studios use consumer version of Windows

>Everything is better except OSX and the hardware.
Fix'd

in the pro version you can pause updates for 30 days

Audio work still is pretty much the best on Mac.

Yeah and? What if they kept pausing because work had to be done? This is a prime example of an OS getting in the user's way.

>implying film studios use any version of Windows

Is that supposed to be a positive point?

>Is film editing better on Mac these days
No. Unless if you're a Final Cutfag. In that case, end yourself.
>Does professional film editors actually edit films on a Mac anymore?
They do because it's what their retarded employers forced on them.

Windows always feels like it's working against you. Doing anything done on that piece of shit is almost impossible.

>shit doesn't boot up because MS broke something again
literally never happened to me in 20 years

Not even some sort of update loop when it tries to update but fails, so tries again and so on?

Not him but also no. Have you ever used a Windows os that wasn't downloaded from pirate bay?

>downloading Windows instead of getting a clean iso and activating it
Also not like I even had too many issues with it personally outside of that update loop back on 7; but tons of friends who never touched pirated stuff did so almost annually; plus there are always news of some conflict with antivirus or other shit software killing the whole thing during update.

I was gonna say it's not, but then I remembered that "PC" means "Windows 10" so I'd have to say it's better on Mac

DaVinci Resolve is cross platform so it doesn't matter what you use as long as it stays out of your way. Since Mac is very limited hardware wise and windows is a pointless financial loss and doesn't stay out of your way, Linux > Windows > MacOS.

>>implying film studios use any version of Windows
they do. like most creative companys these days. since the adobe suite is fully available on windows the toc is way lower with the same or better performance.

t. works at a multimedia publishing house

>Yeah and? What if they kept pausing because work had to be done? This is a prime example of an OS getting in the user's way.
system administrators use non-work-hours to distribute updates to machines. do you really think they give employees the user rights to maintain their machines on their own? there's something like "wednesday at 3am we will roll out updates so no one will even notice".

Film studios don't use adobe, idiot.
t. Editor

Anti virus is built in now and works perfectly, if you're idiot enough to install third party bullshit like that you should expect to get problems.

You're wrong you know, I've seen quite a few films in cinemas that specifically reference premier as their editor in the credits. It's not that common but big budget movies do get edited in premier.

And how is a normal user supposed to know that? And more importantly, why is the shit so unstable that legit 3rd party software would break it?

Seen it for smaller stuff and when I worked for TV they used it too but don't recall any big studio doing that.

Depends on what you're using.
They're fine for premier pro, especially if you're loading footage off external drives (Properly implemented thunderbolt 3) or over network.
Also works well in the sense that I can push stuff over to another machine with media encoded and it'll just werk.
I'm not saying there aren't faster machines, I'm sure you could build them and do so cheaper, but as far as an off-the-shelf machine goes that, if I ever have trouble with I can drive to a shop, have totally replaced, bring back home, and wirelessly restored from a backup within an hour, nothing else matches.
Does windows even have a proper full-system backup program yet?

I use a Sony Proxy Editor and it fucking sucks ass on Windows 10

>Does professional film editors (not “content creators”) actually edit films on a Mac anymore?
why on earth would it ever matter?
cargo cultist fanboys are pure cancer.

That's odd. I've never seen anything with non-indie budget being worked on in adobe products.

lol everyone uses avid. but they're happy with their machines from a while ago. also, editors routinely go on unemployment between Hollywood projects. t. worked in hollywood

You are retarded as fuck, if you can't change some settings, just wow.

So I have a question. A co-worker of mine is raving that Macs are the best for 'Creatives' (aka Graphic, film, and audio designers) but cant list a reason beyond "It's just built for it" which sounds like hot garbage. I understand that systems can be a hindrance to any workplace (Updates, Antivirus, downtime ext.) but I cant find a reason why Mac is better then PC (no Win10 but any OS). Anyone have a reason on why Mac is 'better'?

Attached: dobson.jpg (800x619, 185K)

>I cant find a reason why Mac is better then PC
on a optimization level like hardware or software (OS to Program efficiency)*

Whoops forgot that part

its literally built for retards who dont understand how computers work, it auto-updates for them, has a strong wifi connectivity so they can skype call their other retard friends at coffee shops, and has easy-to-install drivers for all their drawing bullshit
and all they have to give in return is a fuckton of daddy's money and their personal privacy

For a consumer this makes sense. But what about on an enterprise level? Is it really just culture that has Pixar use mostly Macs? I'm sure it is but for the sake of information.

There is nothing different in windows go kys you have never used Windows.

It's all bullshit reasoning.The hardware is only capable of so much,regardless of any magical optimizations.

For me its audio drivers, Logic Pro, not dealing with fucking windows 10 bloat. If windows wasn't such a pile of shit i'd probably consider switching to Cubase especially since Pro Tools support is improving, but Logic is really fucking comfy.

There's zero bloat if you buy hardware with decent ASIO drivers. Now trying to record professionally using WASAPI and ASIO4All is a but much

Any serious film editor exclusively use supermicro.

As far as I'm concerned the audio subsystem in os-x used to be much better than the one in Windows, specially in terms of audio latency for example.

That is a valid reason to use Macs in professional audio editing I guess. Talking about graphical design I really don't see a reason unless they somehow have better color profiles and screens in general? But I'm sure you can just get a good quality screen for your PC.

Keep in mind that I've heard that osx and Window's audio subsystem is now of par quality so this might be just a historical reason.

Wait...they have decent video editors on linux now? That was the only thing not making me switch.

If you need anything more than GNU OpenShot, then you are probably a card-carrying Adobe Creative Cloud subscriber.

((( P.S. the card is a credit card )))

Attached: clip-overview.jpg (928x741, 110K)

Almost no professional TV or film editing operates on Mac, it's all Avid ecosystems on Windows. There's plently of solo editors working on Mac still but once you enter into things with more than a couple of people working on them it still has to be Avid. The ecosystem can be run on Macs but once you hit the scale that even a small budget TV series would be on (a couple of editors, edit assists, DIT's, online editors, grading etc etc) then it's always Windows as its easier to maintain and cheaper for parts etc.

I've been working in post production for about 5 years now at a TV broadcast level so if anyone has questions just shoot.

Though Adobe is making pretty good headway into the top tier professional edit suites they're still the exception rather than the rule. Personally I'd prefer to edit on Premiere but it doesn't scale well and it still can't match the capabilities of Avid to have a load of people working on the same project and footage at the same time.

So what's stopping people from VMing some Mac OS these days anyway?

>720 24p
ah the power of poorfags.

Mac.
There isn't anything decent on windows, unfortunately.

come back when you know what you're talking about

I know more than you and all of Jow Forums combined.

Show me one single program available on windows today that can compare to Final Cut Pro, oh wait you can't.
There was Sony Vegas but it's defunct now.

What do they use then

Avid

Any pro editor that was on Final Cut 7 abandoned it after X was released as it removed a lot of the features they needed. It's impossible to export any edits in XML or OMF/AAF to sound mixing or grading without unreliable 3rd party programmes. Its fine if you're making Youtube videos but terrible for anything above that.

then what would you suggest people use today?

Some apps like Logic and Sketch only work on macOS.

I use Transmit all the time and there's not a alternative on Windows that comes even close to it

Attached: 1559182730841.jpg (700x875, 135K)

>it auto-updates for them, has a strong wifi connectivity so they can skype call their other retard friends at coffee shops, and has easy-to-install drivers for all their drawing bullshit
And that's how a decent OS should work out of the box.

If you're a solo editor and comfortable with Final Cut then keep using it, it's fine. I'd personally use Premiere as it can round trip to other software better. If you have any interest in working on actual TV series/movies you need to learn Avid. It's a terrible piece of software when working on your own short pieces but it's essential for pro work.