Zsh is now the default shell on macOS

press S to spit on Bash's grave
press L to laugh at RMS for the abject failure GPLv3 has turned out to be

Attached: zsh.jpg (800x249, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/kanso-4-piece-steak-knife-set
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why didn't they use one that was good, like fish?
just licensing?

compatibility fucktard

Even n900 had zsh as default, fuck g3

Genuinely interested: How many Mac users even know what their shell is (or what a shell is in general)?

>powershell

Lol, you can compile bash or pretty much any other shell, it will be just as compatible

less than 1%

so.. they can use literally anything else.

a fair number, considering Mac hardware is the majority at American universities and tech startups

Attached: macbook pros as far as the eye can see.jpg (1001x1000, 105K)

>implying any respectful programmer uses macos
>implying those who use it even know what shell even is
but hey, i guess we're fucked now that webdev trannies and teen girls will stop using bash, amirite?

Attached: 1558758677095.jpg (2500x1250, 152K)

Donald Knuth uses a Mac.

literally whomst

a composer

he uses ubuntu actually

No one knows any Donald except suffix Duck and Trump.

Attached: 1553393339850.jpg (640x640, 50K)

Is this real?

I've actually used bejazzled zfs (oh-my-zfs) for years, it's a lot nicer than bash.

so, they can use literally anything

Fucking zoomers
Source?
I'm reading in his personal webpage that he uses macs

What does that have to do with it (not true, btw)? Windows has the OS marketshare lead worldwide, but cdo you honestly think more than %10 of Windows users even know what PowerShell is?

Outside of PCs, Windows doesn't exist. Same with macOS
Sadly, UNIX and Linux are the kings.

>command.com

>Bash's grave
ahahahah, literally nigger s/w

>broken bsd implementations of posix utilities
>everything is old as fuck and broken
why would anyone use shell on a mac though?

>broken
Let me guess: You still believe the Sierra bug concerning a POSIX syscall isn't fixed yet.

i really like fish but it isn't POSIX compliant. an OS would have to rewrite and test every single internal script to ensure compatibility. not impossible, but for something as big as macOS, a giant time and money sink.

changing to zsh probably involved 0 extra effort.

>failure for not being adopted by proprietary company
more like GNU/Success

Fish is not posix compliant so it would not run ~90% of the shell scripts written in the last 30 years

>Using ultra slow UNIX utilities

cringe, you realize how wrong your post is?
bash is posix compliant, their posix shit scripts work on bash.
Zsh is even less closer to posix.
The fact that it can do more than posix MEANS it can do as much as posix retard applefaggot.
And apple has the fucking money to take care of something as simple as that stupid monkey, you even said it

Plenty of fairly respectable programmers use Macs.

$ bash --version
GNU bash, version 3.2.57(1)-release (x86_64-apple-darwin18)
Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

>3.2.57
>2007
Honestly, I'm amazed they didn't switch to something else a while ago.

if they just needed a POSIX shell to provide, they could just ship DASH (3-clause BSD)
or FreeBSD's sh

there's gonna be a few issues with switching anyway, because /bin/sh is bash, and bash still allows some bash-specific features when run as sh

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
OOHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHA
oh my oh my AHAHAHAHAA
*inhales*
AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH OHOHOHO AHAHAHAA EEEEEHEHEHEHE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

No retard, I'm talking about basic utilities like grep, sed, awk, find, sort etc.

FUCK zsh
FUCK korn
FUCK mac

LOVE bash
LOVE stallman
LOVE chess

>trannies, soibois, fags
>respectable

One of the best decisions they've ever made.

FUCK bash. FUCK the jewish GPLv3. I'm glad at least Linus Torvalds is clever enough to keep v2 around.

stay the FUCK mad you sore loser

Attached: Moses.jpg (462x532, 298K)

>64K RAM 38911 BASIC BYTES FREE
>READY.

>respectable programmers use mac
Are you retarded? Only idiots use Macs, they are cheap Chinese overpriced garbage. Anyone that isn't a retard knows to use Windows or Linux.

But YOU just lost, you delusional freetard. Pragmatism won over your idiot dogmatism once again, as it should.

WTF BASH IS DONE FOR

ubuntu baby here, can anyone spoonfeed me on what's zsh and bash and what's the difference between them

Don't be ridiculous. Windows has no place in the programming world. macOS is at least usable, Windows is the lowest of the low shit. I don't think any good programmers even entertain the idea of using Windows.

Well, you see, macOS, like all BSDs, does not come by default with GPLv3 software. I would expect anyone posting on Jow Forums to be aware of this fact.

bigbrains write pure sh, and the system uses dash/busybox ash. Bash is nigger tier footsnack
google.com/search?q=bash+vs+zsh

Who cares? It will be some outdated version anyway.

t.
if ! fgrep -q "${BREW_PREFIX}/bin/zsh" /etc/shells; then
echo "${BREW_PREFIX}/bin/zsh" | sudo tee -a /etc/shells
chsh -s "${BREW_PREFIX}/bin/zsh"
fi

>homebrew in the current year
>duplicating a string thrice
a little bit of knowledge is truly a dangerous thing

>wasting time on ancient snippet from dotfiles install script
If it ain't broke.

>compatibility fucktard
I use fish in MacOS.

Attached: Screenshot 2019-06-04 at 18.02.58.png (682x548, 78K)

oh whoops, ow! looks like cuckOS soon to lose its POSIX (that nobody cared anyways as linux api is basically the new standard everyone targets) certification!

You don't understand what he's saying.

Are you retarded? BASH has nothing to do with POSIX.

who could guess, a toddler shell in a toddler OS

I don't mess around with scripts, just basic tasks. So it's fine with me.
>LOL you are wearing X sneakers! AHAhAHA toddler sneakers that's not what we runners user.
Stop being so stupid.

the absolute state of Jow Forums

that's like claiming everyone knows how to program a TI calculator too
just because the educational body is accepting another revenue stream to try to get people into an ecosystem doesn't mean the "student" has learned about it

I am amazed how many brainlets visit Jow Forums

cope

If you use anything but knives of this class you're a toddler
shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/kanso-4-piece-steak-knife-set

genuine question, would apple contribute to the zsh code even if it is bsd?
this thread is just automated post flame wars

cope
pic related

Attached: Screenshot 2019-06-04 at 18.17.57.png (954x260, 98K)

Jokes on you: zsh depends on gdbm (a GNU project) and libcap, and both are GNU GPL.

Yes.
The TextEdit app by Apple is BSD.

I use fish on linux as well, is linux a toddler OS?

again, another retard... just google it dude, it's not that hard to see that newer versions of zsh aren't dependent on any GPLv3 licensed software

i used zsh, but it was like using a broken version of bash, not compatible enough to just drop it in, and not different enough to really bother with learning the differences
switched to fish

this, Linux > macOS > Windows
t. dev

You are the retard: I am using 5.7.1 (latest), which depends on those packages.

actually kind of surprised they didn't go with fish
- actually tries to be modern, foregoing compatibility for the sake of compatibility
- GPLv2
- comfy completion that just werks ootb

switching from bash to fish is like when first going from dos/cmd to bash

>I'm using a toddler GNU/Distro which forcefully depends on those packages because my package manager told me so
let the real men talk, you don't know what is an actual dependency or not

Where is he wrong?

I'll clue you in, you can write posix compliant scripts and they will run on any shells that supports it. These scripts work on Bash, Zsh and other posix compliant shells, but not Fish. If a shell is posix compliant it can't be "less closer to posix", either it meets the criteria or it doesn't.

He's saying changing from one posix compliant shell to another barely won't break any compatibility, while changing to "literally any other shell", like fish, could break a ton of things.

>LOAD "*",8,1

I use fish, but don't run scripts so I'm fine. Use it for eally basic stuff. I like it, good autocompletion.

he uses macs yes, but only for presentations.
His "family jewels" belong to Linux.
His jewels being his manuscripts.

Attached: myimage.png (639x602, 95K)

Literally nothing in the post implied anything else.

If I run "sh my-script", even under fish, it'll run under a POSIX compatible shell.
If the first line of my-script is "#!/bin/sh", and I run "./my-script", it'll run under a POSIX compatible shell.

fish won't be /bin/sh, but it'll be the default user shell. If you're writing a shell script, you'll be using /bin/sh (or just telling people to fuck off and install bash).
They're different things, like how /bin/sh is dash on Ubuntu and Debian even though the default user shell is bash.

>If you're writing a shell script, you'll be using /bin/sh
sometimes, but a lot of scripts are /bin/ksh (korn shell) which having been default on all SysVR4 unix(aka solaris, hp-ux, aix...) makes it pretty common. Zsh was the free/open software version of Korn shell.

why don't they use a good shell such as rc?

holy shit based, every time i read something about knuth or some work of his i only like him even more

who cares what the fuck the itoddler overlord do?
my guix system will remain based and bashpilled, until gnu releases gash, that is

overlords* ffs

Quality answer. Thanks for that.

You lost because you want to use a cuck license that will let any company take shit and not contribute back.

So you're saying that when Apple used bash as default for MacOS they contributed to bash, since it's GPL? But when zsh is default they won't contribute to zsh, since it's BSD?
What you are implying doesn't make sense, user.

Apple has relased software under Apache License and BSD. Why would they do it, aren't they afraid some other company would take the code and use it and not contribute back?

#!/bin/bash
nothing personnel kid

Licenses are social construct and also gay.

Except UNIX isn't the king of anything but outdated standards

Applel hasn't released anything useful under Apache or bsd license
Applel used some ancient shitty bash version forever. Hmm. I wonder why. Fuck off corporate kike

Donald Tusk

>Applel hasn't released anything useful under Apache or bsd license
What about clang

>tex
>rxvt
>fvwm
what an absolute giga chad

It's neither of those licenses

Based. I'd rather have them use Bash as default shell, but thy'd just keep using the decade-old version

>UNIX and Linux are the kings
You're aware that UNIX is a propietary operating system from the past, right? No one in the planet is running actual UNIX.

>No one in the planet is running actual UNIX.
HP-UX and Solaris are still deployed and supported.

It took me a long time to learn about the terminal and Linux properly but I learned what cmd was very early in my childhood.

so better standards are proprietary companies products?
make a better standard, ill wait.

>Outside of PCs, Windows doesn't exist. Same with macOS
This is just plain false. The majority of corporate environments run quite a few Windows servers, typically more than their Linux servers if they're an environment with a ton of Windows clients, which is exceedingly common.

Why do you think Microsoft dumped so much money into Azure? You're an idiot.

Fish is the superior shell.