The absolute state of Jow Forums

> WHAT IS HDR REFERENCE MONITOR HAHAHA STUPID APPLE

the $999 stand is stupid unless you want to pay at least 4x more for the monitor itself, then it becomes a bargain

these monitors are so enterprise that almost no sites list their enormous prices

microgamma.com/coloredge/eizo-coloredge-cg3145-prominance.php

Attached: eizo.png (710x375, 240K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1477291-REG/ikegami_hqlm_3125x_31_4k_hd_multi_format_lcd.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_lookup_table
color.viewsonic.com/explore/content/Advanced-14-bit-LUT-and-3D-LUT_1.html
amazon.com/Philips-BDM4350UC-43-Inch-IPS-LED-Monitor/dp/B01E18XRY2/ref=pd_day0_hl_147_5/143-2780747-2508167?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01E18XRY2&pd_rd_r=ab1ade69-86e8-11e9-9473-d5397df71b98&pd_rd_w=Rpakj&pd_rd_wg=5jbfv&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=B5EAYZQ7HH7BPEK4V27N&psc=1&refRID=B5EAYZQ7HH7BPEK4V27N
digitaltrends.com/computing/how-monitor-makers-exaggerate-to-sell-more-screens/
smallbusiness.chron.com/highest-contrast-ratio-computer-monitor-71647.html
fstoppers.com/originals/why-apples-expensive-monitor-worth-it-378941
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why does those monitor cost a fortune?

>not even 6k
Why is Applel so based.

>implying the Pro Display is a reference monitor
stop comparing apples to chocolate oranges

>
the $999 stand is stupid unless you want to pay at least 4x more for the monitor itself, then it becomes a bargain
No it don't.
It's still an overpriced as hell hunk of aluminum you have to buy.

Autistically pixel precise and colour accurate with the ability to go 1k nits for long period of times. Usually they are only used as the last step of colour grading of video before the release.

>you have to buy.
You don't. You only have to buy the over priced VESA adapter for 250, which is still nasty but given the price of the monitor, basically nothing.

Basically it's the equivalent of selling a new iPhone for 100 bucks but requiring you to buy a charging cable for 50 bucks.

Based on the data we have so far, yes it is.

All data and comentary from graphics designers implies that is a entry level reference monitor.

>Based on the data we have so far, yes it is.
lmao, what? what data? apple marketing?

they literally said it in the keynote and showed a $40k reference monitor on one slide

Or the knock off $50 stand that some chinese company will inevitably do, and that while rich faggots will not buy, all corporations that depends on mac will

because of people like you, Jow Forums is unreadable circlejerk, literally worse than Reddit

When did they lie about specific data?

What other data we have already, moron?
Of course we have to test the claims, but if Apple Marketing is accurate, then it would be a disrupting product.

>corporations buying chink stuff
Unlikely.

>corporations not saving $1000
Unlikely.

have you ever worked at a large company?

It's a rounding error in the business. Looking for some chink alternative would waste more money than just buying this shit.

It's the absolute poorfag filmmakers who might get tempted by our chink friends.

Hell naw, nigga. Wagecuckery is a bad call.

But most of my friends work at fortune 500 companies, and no one there would bat a single eyelid over this shit. Most chairs are worth two stands.

Shit, back when I was a wagecuck I worked at a medium sized company that produced content for TV and even they wouldn't give too many fucks about 1k. And it's not the type of display you need too many of.

this

well, i do, and they are, in typical bizfag fashion, all about [perceived] cost/value. buying everyone aerons is alright because aerons are flashy, have a staus associated with them, and make their wageslaves happy.
a stand doesn't have that value. they would 100% buy a cheaper chink alternative.

happens all the time. one of the guys here actually was handed a bizarrely expensive iMac Pro last year, but he asked for a regular mouse and keyboard (instead of the default keyboard and, for some fucking reason, a trackpad???) but was turned down because they deemed it unimportant. the machine itself was ridiculously expensive, but they couldnt give the man $100 for a mouse/keyboard.
businesses are cancer.

theyre fucking marketing slides
what the fuck is wrong with you people
do you know the definition of the word data?

Any chance you're a Burger?

Maybe it's different here in Yurop but any of my friends got shoved whatever they asked for down their throats and they aren't even in especially high positions or worked there for longer than two years.

Now obviously there is a lot of beancounting here too but usually in the more traditional businesses and their steep hierarchies.

And some have numbers. These tend to be correct, especially from Applel, although to be fair they left a lot room with the duration of 1k nits mode.

what's the point of lying in marketing slides targeted at extremely niche and professional audience?

Why do people shell out so much for technology that's going to be worth 1/20th of its original price 5 years from now?

then its not data, is it, you fucking mongoloid

Those monitors don't drop of price as easily as you thought.

Attached: a180b732915ceb26627b3a55c0bf2c6eb01a48934e45b6c112f9027af5ead9d8.jpg (634x951, 60K)

For one, they won't drop as fast and more importantly, do to their damn jobs that makes the cost barely noticeable.

>info from some presentation = data
k
have fun with your thread, retards

found one for $40k
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1477291-REG/ikegami_hqlm_3125x_31_4k_hd_multi_format_lcd.html

>16:9
>marketed as "1.9:1" so people don't immediately close the tab
>60hz
>€24000

Attached: Sun-0.png (175x248, 28K)

>40k reference monitor
>has chintzy speakers built into it like your family's 1998 compaq
what did they mean by this?

Proof that everybody hates "audiophiles".

>hurr why doesn't my reference monitor for colour grading 24fps film frames come with 144Hz Gamer mode?
>How will gamers use this for gaming?

gamers are subhuman desu, don't know why you're surprised

The 16:9 shit is surprising though.

Its data. Insufficient, biased and unclear, but its data, you like or not.
Stop being so dense. I already said that we have to wait the external reviews.

>apple, the company that charges 1k for a fucking monitor stand, somehow decided to underpriced their "reference" monitor by 20k

120hz is required to play back 24fps video without judder

>everybody hates "audiophiles".
sure, but it's not even an audiophile thing.
i guess the idea is that graphics people won't ever be doing anything critical with sound?

Eizo >>>>> Apple display
Eizo had massive 3D LUT tables, profesional color manager software.

You could get top of the line Phillips monitors for video/photo editing not even close to that amount of money. Not sure what retard would buy this and stand to look at that amount of brightness constantly.

>It's a rounding error in the business. Looking for some chink alternative would waste more money than just buying this shit.
Wanna know how it's obvious you never been in a position to justify and make purchases for your company, faggot?

> stand to look at that amount of brightness constantly.
Only the most expensive shit could even keep up the brightness for long. It's crucial for work on video.

The stand is proprietary, Apple could just sue anyone who sells or buys third party versions (not many people).

this. holy shit the Jow Forums circlejerking single handedly made me love apple because of how retardedly baseless most of the desenting remarks towards applel are

this. If they're able to seize shipments to Lewis Rossman, they can seize stands.

Nobody uses FALD on a reference monitor, which is why Apple's is DOA on arrival. Turn off FALD and all you're left with is a 1500:1 contrast IPS monitor.

How is fucking 1000 cd/m2 bearable for anyone?

>$5000 display can display 1k nits for long periods of time
this is not a consumer grade device homey. i'd be surprised if even prosumers would want to get this.

This. It’s like staring at a light bulb. Retina damage is guaranteed.

It's not like you sit for hours starring at 1k nits. You're lucky if it lasts 10 minutes.

lmao how was it baseless
words have meaning, dipshit

that's not what data is
stop pretending to be dense

>Usually they are only used as the last step of colour grading of video before the release.
>Spend 24k on top tier monitor to make video look top tier.
>No one sees that because everyone uses shitty monitors

>baseless
>adjective
>having no base; without foundation; groundless: a baseless claim.
>lmao, what? what data? apple marketing?
literally from the spec sheet
>32-inch (diagonal) IPS LCD display with oxide TFT technology

Resolution: 6016 by 3384 pixels (20.4 million pixels) at 218 pixels per inch
Aspect ratio: 16:9

XDR (Extreme Dynamic Range)

Brightness: 1000 nits sustained (full screen), 1600 nits peak1
Contrast ratio: 1,000,000:1
Color: P3 wide color gamut, 10-bit depth for 1.073 billion colors

SDR brightness: 500 nits
Viewing angle: Superwide angle with high-fidelity color and contrast at 89º left, 89º right, 89º up, 89º down
Fully laminated; 1.65% reflectivity (typical)

I'm not an applel fanboy but you're a fucking child or a moron to think spec sheets for enterprise-grade hardware(read: enterprise = to be used to people in a company office or a professional freelancer) are the same as sales copy.

words _do_ have meaning, so learn what these words mean. take a breath and realize you're just another Jow Forums circlejerking mouthpiece and that you're as bad as people who defend apple no matter what.

Lol, No LUT tables info
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_lookup_table
color.viewsonic.com/explore/content/Advanced-14-bit-LUT-and-3D-LUT_1.html

i agree, that's worrying. not sure why they don't have that in the spec sheet.

Lots of people have good TVs that actually can take advantage of HDR.

most low to mid range 4K TVs can play HDR content, but really can't make use of the full potential

It better have display ports and freesync my negro

It's not a gaming monitor so the shit isn't going to have freesync

Or you could just lower the refresh rate to 48Hz or 24Hz.

You also typically don't care about judder when you're colour grading.

Ever heard of cinemas or movie theaters?

Do those matter? Screens at movie theaters are less than 100 nits

Nigger europees using the fullstop to indicate a comma and a comma to differentiate a fullstop.

Fucking bastards.

Attached: 1559315573582.png (209x241, 8K)

>only 60hz
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You color grade on such accurate equipment to make sure the color is correct to look as good as it can on as many different devices

>because I said it so
K.

Even heard of printing?

this
there's no wide adaptation to HDR in the cinema yet

>yet

>10-bit depth
here's a $500 monitor with that feature. literally 1/10 the price:
amazon.com/Philips-BDM4350UC-43-Inch-IPS-LED-Monitor/dp/B01E18XRY2/ref=pd_day0_hl_147_5/143-2780747-2508167?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01E18XRY2&pd_rd_r=ab1ade69-86e8-11e9-9473-d5397df71b98&pd_rd_w=Rpakj&pd_rd_wg=5jbfv&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=B5EAYZQ7HH7BPEK4V27N&psc=1&refRID=B5EAYZQ7HH7BPEK4V27N

which of these features is supposed to justify the $5k price?

It's a LCD panel with 1,000,000:1 contrast, your not finding that cheaply

Samsung makes hdr capable led screens for cinema (max 500 nit)
and it's been installed in a couple theaters around the world

but I doubt transition on a wide scale is going to happen any soon
maybe after a decade or so?

Literally marketing wank bullshit:

"A common claim on monitor spec sheets is an unfathomably high contrast ratio. Contrast ratio is the measurement of the ratio between the darkest black and the brightest white a display can produce. It sometimes reaches as high as 1,000,000:1, or in the case of the Samsung 200 Series monitors, “Mega Infinity Contrast Ratio” — yes, that’s a real term used by a real company. It’s as absurd as it sounds.

The best monitors we’ve reviewed barely break 1,000:1 when we measure them with a calibration tool. Televisions do better, but until desktop displays receive OLED technology, they’ll continue to lag behind. Monitors with a measured contrast ratio above 1,000:1 are the cream of the crop."

digitaltrends.com/computing/how-monitor-makers-exaggerate-to-sell-more-screens/

I don't have to justify it. I didn't design it, I am not selling it, nor am I ever going to buy one. I do not go into autistic fits of rage over things that are not in my price point. Bugatti designed and sold a car for 19 million dollars. nobody here gives a shit about that.

There are other LCD panels that do have a true 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio and there found in high end reference monitors like the one in OPs pic

sounds like there's no standard for what "contrast ratio" actually means - the fact that Apple would use the exaggerated number means they aren't to be taken seriously.

"

With the advent of local-dimming LED backlit monitors, manufacturers list both the dynamic contrast ratio as well as the static contrast ratio. LED monitors can actually shut off the backlight in the portions of the monitor that have a pure black area, leading to contrast ratio measurements that can top 50,000,000:1. The static contrast ratio, which is a more realistic measurement of monitor contrast performance, is the measurement of the difference between blacks and whites with the backlight at its lowest possible setting while remaining powered on. Higher-end monitors can have a static contrast ratio up to 3000:1, giving a large dynamic range."

smallbusiness.chron.com/highest-contrast-ratio-computer-monitor-71647.html

Face it- it's overpriced as fuck, just like everything else Apple sells.

>true contrast ratio
you mean static contrast ratio?
>1,000,000:1
that number is impossible for current LCD technology, only OLEDs can get such high levels

>picks one thing and ignores the rest
Why even going for 10bit, just point out that screens of the same size exist and get your interwebz argument win!

>The best monitors we’ve reviewed
How many reference monitors did they review? Would genuinely love to read a review on a fucking monitor costing 15k+

>american education

>picks one thing and ignores the rest
i don't know much about monitors... i'm learning as i go.
the question was honest though - what about this retarded thing is supposed to justify the cost?
so far every feature exists on far cheaper units.

You idiots are insufferable
Just because something doesn't exist in the consumer/prosumer space does not mean it doesn't exist at all

we're trying to have a technical discussion here...
your insubstantial and belligerent comments are unhelpful.
maybe you meant to go to /b/?

Reference monitors cost $20K. But you can buy Apple's for $5K. These monitors are not for average joe users. They are for professionals. You can't tell the difference between them and a regular monitor because you are not a professional.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 10.11.23 AM.png (1409x598, 256K)

I am trying to make a discussion but most of everyone in here is making their basis only on shit they can see as a consumer without realizing there an an entire industry in the video world full of fantastic tech but of course you don't see none of it nor is it available to you because it costs more than your car

>what about this retarded thing is supposed to justify the cost?
For you and me and most people? Absolutely nothing. It's a very specific piece of equipment with a very limited market. Kinda like super fancy audio equipment that runs into dozens of thousands of bucks too.

fstoppers.com/originals/why-apples-expensive-monitor-worth-it-378941
Has some VERY rough pointers.

Apple lel no release LUT tables info, miniled back light, no match oled blacks

It uses two LCD panels for actual million to one contrast ratio, with no local dimming. It also uses 10x the power of a regular LCD.

i fucking hate spics

Not 6k resolution, but at least I can draw on the damn thing, buy a stand, a separate PC along with it, and it'll still cost less than Applel's shit. Even Wacom are Jews, goddamn.

Attached: images (4).jpg (356x142, 9K)

That's actually the rest of the world but the dumb dumb american notation.
Metric rules.

>It also uses 10x the power of a regular LCD.
Just adding an insult to injury.

based retard

okay user I've googled and found that panasonic developed a new type of ips lcd that can get 1 million to 1 contrast ratio

and this specific type of display is actually available in the market (EIZO CG3145, 30k USD)
and the specifications say that it doesn't have any local dimming built into it, and has brightenss control over every pixel

however, it seems that this panasonic panel was not used in apple's new xdr display because it uses local dimming (576 zones)

Some guy from ars said the blacks were pretty close to OLED tier. Given how rare OLED reference monitors are, it's unlikely to be a biggy, specially at their price point.

Yeah, because someone buying a monitor for 20 grand will be concerned about the power drawn.

>implying the monitor will support anything other than 60hz
>moving the mouse with refresh rates below 60hz