I understand why there's a ton of developers who don't give a fuck about Mac (it's a dying platform with a irrelevant...

I understand why there's a ton of developers who don't give a fuck about Mac (it's a dying platform with a irrelevant userbase) but why exactly would someone give a fuck about developing for Linux?
>update system libraries
>cannot compile program anymore because said version of X GNU/Linux distro has a different version of a library/dependency
>shell discrepancies between systems (eg: bashisms that don't work in /bin/sh - so if your program calls a script for some reason you have to take into account the default distro shell)
>a shit ton of different desktop environments with different functionalities and implementations
>program won't be available for every linux distro
Developing for Linux must be hell on earth.

Attached: programming penguin.png (1200x1414, 259K)

Not at all. You just target Ubuntu LTS and RHEL and tell the rest to go pound sand.

>what are AppImages

What are appimages?

the answer to the retarded OP

I love .appimage

Attached: 1544173895213.gif (387x248, 1M)

>I understand why there's a ton of developers who don't give a fuck about Mac
what planet do you live on? Everybody in SV uses Mac, in fact, almost everybody working in FAANG uses Mac. And these people tend to steer the direction of the software industry. I can name many projects on GitHub which have Windows and Mac support but no Linux support.

Google actually has their own debian based distro
yes, a lot of them use macbooks
but I doubt that the majority would be using macos on their devices (except for those working on frontend for ios/macos)

You're a fucking delusional faggot. Do you know why silicon valley employees use Macs? because their companies compose huge fucking chunks of the global market and affording a Mac is fucking NOTHING for them. Now, whenever you cocksuckers mention this you always seem to forget that many of these companies allows their employees to choose either a mac or PC or just use linux if they want to.
You guys also never mention how companies are moving away from Macs. Most of these developers on SL don't give a fuck about which system they're using.

they're applications but put into one portable file, meaning they can be run on any distribution that supports appimages. They're typically bigger than normal packages but they're worth it if you don't want to make 9328732 different packages for every distro.

>cannot compile program anymore because said version of X GNU/Linux distro has a different version of a library/dependency
Only explicitly target Debian and Ubuntu. Anyone else can get fucked -- it's nice if it works (and hell, it probably even will, because the situation isn't even as bad as you're implying), and it's very literally not my problem if it doesn't.

>shell discrepancies between systems (eg: bashisms that don't work in /bin/sh - so if your program calls a script for some reason you have to take into account the default distro shell)
Bash is the default shell used by most distros, including the two I'll actually explicitly target. Even if it's not the default user shell, it's usually installed by default for shell scripting.
/bin/sh on Debian and Ubuntu is dash anyway, which is a strictly POSIX compatible shell.

>a shit ton of different desktop environments with different functionalities and implementations
My shit is either command-line only or doesn't actually care about using the "native" windowing toolkit.
If any amount of actual desktop integration is needed, there are freedesktop.org/XDG standards for doing that shit, and anyone who doesn't follow them can again, get fucked. They're widely accepted between distros anyway.

>program won't be available for every linux distro
Literally not my problem. I couldn't give a rat's ass about your literally who distro.
But again, more likely than not, my programs will work anyway.

It's not like any of this is a particularly uncommon attitude, especially for commercial Linux software where maybe they'd target Ubuntu and Red Hat instead of Ubuntu and Debian, and they definitely don't care about the native window control toolkit.
They do tend to use POSIX sh scripts, because they don't want to actually depend on GNU anything.

stop seething and have sex, you jobless basement dweller

I don't need to. My parents have enough cash and basically, I could live the rest of my life without working :^)
How does it feel being obliged to work as a wageslave user?

holy seethe

>seething
>have sex
>yikes
>oof

Attached: soy.gif (307x343, 22K)

cope

>>update system libraries
>>cannot compile program anymore because said version of X GNU/Linux distro has a different version of a library/dependency
develop in a frozen chroot
>>shell discrepancies between systems (eg: bashisms that don't work in /bin/sh - so if your program calls a script for some reason you have to take into account the default distro shell)
if you need scripts, depend on an interpreter, or better yet just package one in
>>a shit ton of different desktop environments with different functionalities and implementations
>>program won't be available for every linux distro
use a widget toolkit (e.g gtk, qt) or multimedia toolkit (e.g sdl) instead of trying to code directly against the window manager

Attached: soy.gif (307x343, 40K)

based

Imagine being this assblasted all day kek

>>cannot compile program anymore because said version of X GNU/Linux distro has a different version of a library/dependency
Guix has solved this.

Nix solved it years ago and Guix plagiarised the former shamelessly

Probably. But Guix is likely to spread to all distros in one form or another.

That's why you specifically develop using the latest and greatest.
Basically every new project should be based on Wayland and aimed for debian.

>update system libraries
>don't recompile your build tools
>try co compile program and naturally it does not work because shit is not linked properly
so who's the retard here?

>>update system libraries
>>cannot compile program anymore

you:
>yeah i'd like to upgrade my libraries but not actually use them

Check any game that supports linux bug tracker and all you'll see is a mass of Linux only bug reports because none of the distro faggots can agree on a set of standards.

Same shit as apk is for android. Contains all dependencies you want, is a single file like a portable exe on windows, doesn't need installation (opts to make a shortcut to itself on 1st run), double click it to run it and it just works, doesn't need root to "install".
A wet dream for both devs and users.