Electrician Advice?

I have an electrical tester, but clueless as to how to use it. What setting do I use to see if a current is live? Pic is my dad's tester looks like.

Attached: FLUKE With Probes.jpg (755x876, 91K)

~A

Awesome. Thank you.

OP will soon be dead

With that particular meter you measure current using the clamp but it only measures AC current though. The probes are for measuring voltage and resistance.

I was a stagehand years ago and only measured with clamp with high current feeder (200A - 600A) and I even forgot how to do that because it's been so long. But anyway, just want to see how to use it for residential stuff via probes to learn how to test live current like in an electrical box.

>I have an electrical tester, but clueless as to how to use it.
Please ask an electrician or at least watch an YouTube tutorial. If you use it wrong you can destroy the meter and think a live wire is dead. The next dead one are you then if you have bad luck.
>What setting do I use to see if a current is live?
Before you listen to clowns like him:
use this
V~ or V-

Appreciate everyone's responses. Just curious. I should def wait for my dad. In agreement it's nothing to screw around with.

if you have a wire thats powering something you set it to A~and clamp it on the live wire. The cables/probes are for checking voltage or resistance, so you may need to know how to connect them depending on what you want to measure. Read the manual honestly.

This nigga trying to get you killed. To test if the wire is live you use squiggly line V for AC voltage.

Well he did technically ask how to know if a current is live, you wouldn't be able to measure a voltage then since it's a closed loop.

In a household he's probably testing the voltage of open circuits in which case V is the correct setting to use. A is for closed circuits that have a load.

Sure, but in that case the current isn't technically live anyway, no need to measure for that. I'm just saying OP worded his question wrong most likely, and it would've helped if he explained what he wanted to do.

Specifically, just planning on finding out if a current to a broken? pond fountain is live. However, you've all convinced me not to fry my dad's tester, or even myself, as I really don't know what I'm doing. Just hoping it was easy.

Attached: 98326598632.jpg (1280x720, 120K)

>the current isn't technically live anyway

You're an idiot

What you're looking for is a power probe.
But, just set your multimeter to the voltage range you expect the circuit to be.

Fucking kek

Just because a circuit doesn't have a load on it doesn't mean it isn't live you brainlet.

Putting the clamps over a wire and switching to ~A wouldn't hurt. At worst it would just show 0, which might be wrong. You'd never be touching anything that's not isolated.
But if you don't want to, fair enough. These things are kinda weird and potentially dangerous.
How so? There's no current in an open circuit.
I never said a circuit wasn't live. Also didn't say a circuit without a load.

"""live""" means whether if you touch it you'll get shocked or killed. An open circuit is certainly LIVE under any standard definition of the term.

>"""live""" means whether if you touch it you'll get shocked or killed.
Not in all contexts, like in "live current", or "I live".

In this context where a dude is testing an outlet at a house, that is the contextual definition of live

Logically sure, but technically he asked for live current specifically.

well that's the autism making you read shit literally

It's technically what he said, you can't change that.