How much RAM is too much?

What is your excuse for being a RAMlet in the year of our lord 2020-1, Jow Forums?

Attached: Screenshot-20190604205111-1920x1080.png (1920x1080, 168K)

>only 48 GB RAM
>calls others RAMlets

i dont know

Attached: 2019-06-03-172512_576x294_scrot.png (576x294, 30K)

>96 GB
Based. How many DIMM slots have you got, user?

At least post your screenfetch, ramlet.

Not at home but I also have 48GB

I meant

8 in total, 6 of them filled
one of these days i'll buy an additional two

no wonder you need that much ram

Attached: AFUCKINGFOOT.png (1200x1457, 52K)

Is that a server or do you run a lot of VMs or do rendering? Why do you need that much ram?

kek, I was expecting this

1.5 TB

4GB is the absolute minimun in 2019 in my opinion. 8GB is recommended especially when using gnome

its my home server and i need that much ram because im not a poorfag
i have one VM running and three docker containers

I'll take things that didn't happen for 100, Alex.

>inb4 muh scientist doing research

You don't need more than 2GB of RAM and anything higher than 8 is a meme.

I was thinking about setting up a home server but I'd have to buy a new CPU and a lot of (redundand) storage and the electricity bill would skyrocket.
That's when I realised any possible VM I could think of would only be required while my PC is on, thus it made sense to just buy more RAM.
t. I don't use plex or have my own music library.

>all I do is browse all day long
The ABSOLUTE state of nu/g/

I use 4 gb in a phone. 8gb for laptop. 16gb in work laptop. 16gb in gaming pc. It just werkz

No excuse :-(

Attached: Screenshot_20190604_211923.png (1088x693, 86K)

and why would i need more?

Attached: 2019-06-03-140023.png (1440x900, 549K)

>zsh

>implying

refer to , ramlet

Stop being rich.

Attached: Dr48JIhs3HSJ1GiNVnV6hJsZIen91D156gWNuHKrbC8.jpg (550x455, 62K)

Gaming PC only needs 8. Work laptop only needs 16 if you work with large photo/video editing software and files, and VM work. It's definitely worth it for VM users.

The average person only needs 2GB of RAM so that an operating system, a handful browser tabs, your favorite chat client, and an office program are sure to have enough memory to run at full speed.
An operating system or program, in a similar workflow, needing more is bloat and should be shunned.

I am pretty sure 8gb is enough for anything if i closed chrome while i game but yeah i like 16gb

if your os eats more than 2gb then yea i understand how you could need 8 or 16gb
4 is fine on a laptop which i only use for 4chin and light gaming (older source games/retro shit) especially if my os only takes up 200mb of it

There's plenty of stuff that needs more than 8 GB. I'm writing an Android app at the moment (fuck my life), and Android Studio + emulator uses about 6 GB of RAM. The app also needs an API, which I'm running in docker. Add a browser, music player, goddamn Slack into the mix, and 8GB doesn't nearly cut it.

Modern software is a scourge.

> only 48 gb
he doesn't have 128 gb of ram
what is it, 2013 ?

Attached: Girls.png (449x401, 490K)

>The average person only needs 2GB of RAM so that an operating system, a handful browser tabs, your favorite chat client, and an office program are sure to have enough memory to run at full speed.
A browser with a handful tabs open is enough to rape 1~1.5GB these days.
2GB is far from being enough to most people.

I meant for games. I am a java dev and cant work on 8gb

Oh, carry on then.

>>only 48gb

Mobo supports up to two TB, I only have 1/2 of the slots full @ 128gb, going to be upgrading to 256gb this fall when some more 16gb DDR4 comes off of lease and hits sub-50 a stick.

I run 128gb in my workstation. Heavy compilation & vm workloads, oh and occasional gaming.

>handful tabs open is enough to rape 1~1.5GB
Yes, but a proper operating system and browser will be able to actually manage memory and drop unused tabs from RAM. I have used a laptop with 2GB of memory in current year and it is very usable with dozens of tabs.
Blatantly taking the bloat for what it is, is part of the problem.

My workstation has 16GB of RAM. I struggle to use more than 2GB unless I'm running multiple virtual machines. I also have a quad core CPU and I don't think I'm really utilizing it fully except when I compile software with all four cores or run VMs on two or three cores. I run Debian with KDE. Maybe wintards need 1TB of RAM but I certainly don't. I would be perfectly fine with 8GB.

Depends on what you run in the VMs. Most of mine are headless, so I only allocate 512MB to them. Windows XP and 7 both work comfortably with 1GB RAM if you're only running a couple simple programs in them.

Attached: 1546622461046.jpg (1200x1200, 116K)

Well, some months ago I was using my X201 (6GB of RAM) with Linux daily, and more than once it ran out of RAM and started to use swap so much that I had to turn it off pressing the on/off button.
It wasn't a conscious usage, I was watching a stream, some other tabs, some other programs open (one or two Electron-based). But well, this is the way average person will use their computers, they will not watch out for what is eating their RAM away.
That's why I said that 2GB is not enough for the average person. It may be enough for people with minimalist setups or who knows what they are doing and their PC's limitations.

>watching a stream
try mpv and maybe with a smaller cache
>electron apps
not much can be done about that

Again, the average user (think family members for a good example) only uses a computer to look at pictures, use an office program, and send and receive emails. That all can be achieved within 2GB of memory and even with Windows 10. Small RAM usage isn't only for "minimal" Archfags but is increasing being ignored by companies in favor of planned obsolescence and upgrades.

Screenfetch or it didnt happen retard

> having to prove oneself on a tuvaluean pearl fishing forum
stfu ramlet.

I'll have about 1.5TB of RAM pretty soon.
You, my friend, are the RAMlet by definition then

Yeah that's fine, you're not a professional so you wouldn't understand it anyway.

Attached: Mac Pro.png (450x450, 229K)

kekkles, who doesn't have access to a server with a decent amount of RAM, even if it's not their main machine

>imagine lying on a mongolian cave painting forum

kek ITODDLERS BTFO

>implying most of Jow Forums arent NEETs

8 is not enough,
I've had games crashing, Premiere crashing.
Windows itself takes over 2GB.