If any of the rich parent itoddlers here plan on buying the new mac pro...

If any of the rich parent itoddlers here plan on buying the new mac pro, i recommend instead going for Something from Raptor Computing systems or Vikings.
They both are great for freedom (although i don't think raptor got the ryf certification yet) and security and will provide you with equal to better hardware.
Also, consider running a FSDG compliant GNU distro with it. I recommend the Guix system, as that's what i use.
Trisquel might fit your needs if you'd like something similar to ubuntu, while parabola would fit your bleeding edge needs. I await for you on the freedom side.
store.vikings.net/libre-friendly-hardware/vikings-d16-workstation

raptorcs.com/content/TL2WK2/intro.html

Attached: boardsmall.png (507x381, 189K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ibm.com/blogs/psirt/potential-impact-processors-power-family/
tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2018/06/another-weekend-on-new-computer-or.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

FUCK YOU Jow Forums FOR THINKING MY POST IS SPAM
pic rel

Attached: 2019-06-04-205537_1920x1080_scrot.png (1155x715, 72K)

Or you just buy the motherboard and cpu bundle and then build around that. Considering that it has plenty of upgrade options and the price of the cpus will go down over time (also considering that there are no security concerns, unlike the amd system) the talos system seems more valuable in the long run.

user they too are vulnerable to the same meme exploits that plagues Intel and AMD
ibm.com/blogs/psirt/potential-impact-processors-power-family/
Granted they don't come bundled with a backdoor masked as a performance utility so they still make great server machines.

Yes, Im aware of the inpact specte has on it. I was more so refering to PSP on the AMD side. Although Im still concerned about spectre, I believe a combination of safe browsing practices and software mitigations helps alleviate most of the problems (not all but not too bad). I wish there was a modern, in-order, multi-core-with-smt cpu. Id totally go for that

You can get 22 core 4 threads each, per cpu. Total of 176 threads

If you'd rather not get a raptor pc, there is the ryf certifies vikings desktop :)

Those viking desktops are pretty expensive for what you get, especially since its all used. You could source the stuff individually and build it yourself for much much cheaper.

There are some advantages i guess. It's well refurbished, they guarantee the stuff is actually working, you get a nice warranty and support, it's not full of cumstains...

>no software

depends on what you do. There is not much to choose when it comes to BIM, but there are plenty of good software for other stuff.
If you do most around text, emacs achieves peak performance under gnu

What's the viking based on? Older PPC or competitor to Talos or what?

install gentoo (unironically)

It uses a KGPE-D16 motherboard, which is librebootable. The recommended CPUs are the 6200 series opterons which are based on bulldozer.

From Raptor? I don't think so.
IBM on the other hand offers the Power AC922 rack server model 8335-GTW which does have 22 cores and can take as much as 2tb of ram

>From Raptor? I don't think so.
The Talos II board is a dual socket. So with 2x22 core chips with SMT4, you get 176 threads.

You can, just add to cart and the options appear

and it's cheaper than the $6k apple cheese grater

Gentoo doesn't run the software I use.
Music production in PowerPC died a long time ago.

HAHAHAHA

Apple threw powerPC into the trash for a reason, tho thanks luddite

The reason Apple dropped PowerPC was actually fixed by PA Semi before Apple came out with any Intel machines, they were just in too deep to go back.

>HAF XB
>disk drive in 2019

your opinion stopped mattering in the first two lines of your "build"; and you went with ayymd like what lmao?

>shitting on the ability to read optical discs

Attached: 1475599486481.png (145x103, 24K)

>powerpc
I want to actually do something with it

>muh Applel
G5 CPUs were based on Power4 which have since come a long way (even back then they managed to create the groundbreaking Cell CPU based around that architecture as well).

>Music production in PowerPC died a long time ago.
You still get to see some dual-core 2.3GHz late 2005 Powermacs in some studios.

>PowerPC
Try again

I have seen PowerMac G4s working at GEMA (An electronic music laboratory) in Universidad of Chile. Record tracks isn't that computationally expensive.

ACKCHYUALLU You can actually run the fastest Powermac G4 ever created in it through Qemu.
tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2018/06/another-weekend-on-new-computer-or.html
So, in a way, Talos II is the spiritual successor to the PowerPC desktops.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-06-03 19-24-15.png (1600x900, 758K)

Certainly, but it's still POWER, not PowerPC

>any tech
>more valuable in the long run

Attached: 4L_fltyA4DT.jpg (920x734, 40K)

Apparently sound production, especially for film, is mostly RAM heavy. I hear 64GB is the standard.