youtube.com/watch?v=8SkdfdXWYaI
cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-72/product_id-741/GNU-Emacs.html
cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-8218/opec-1/VIM.html
github.com/mikadosoftware/workstation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

emacs won from the beginning

What the hell is this

vim users getting pwned by >a fucking .txt file

The year is 20XX. Everyone uses Vim at TAS levels of perfection. Humanity has reached its pinnacle. The IDE and Emacs peasants are living in poverty. It seems nothing can stop the great leader of 20XX, Bram Moolenaar, and his army, the Vim monks who live in great monasteries where they levitate while TASing Vim with one hand and configuring their i3 rice with the other. The leaders of the anti-20XX movement aim to keep 20XX from coming. These warriors include Richard Stallman, Jon Skinner, Joel "Bisqwit" Yliluoma, and many others. They are all fighting to keep the apocalypse at bay, the Vim apocalypse. But their efforts are futile. Emacs, Sublime, Atom, and JOE are no match for Vim, the only viable text editor in the world. Try as you will, but 20XX is coming. Or maybe, it's already here.

Attached: vim.png (2400x2410, 227K)

>Bram Moolenaar and his slave army of Ugandan child soldiers.
ftfy

Attached: thumbs_b_c_0f0b6d522e866ee964ee4dc8c4f7d1b1.jpg (864x485, 76K)

what will i ever do against these

I'm pretty sure every program has security flaws that are patched as they are found.

It's not like emacs never had security vulnerabilities.

Use a modern IDE you fucking boomers.
For me, it's PyCharm.

*updates*

nano gang

Attached: 1534897211052.jpg (633x640, 51K)

More like retard gang

>implying Lisp can't do this too
this is literally a feature, not a bug, and it's absolutely a bigger issue in emacs as those crazy fucks actually like this feature and consider it a "metaprogramming" capability

Attached: 3310FE9F-08AC-446C-92E0-1B2660E477AD.png (637x501, 114K)

>Vim is over because of a single security flaw that's already patched
Emacs users truly have no idea what makes good software

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!

Attached: f.jpg (328x136, 17K)

Everything else aside the vim model seems way more ergonomic than the heavy uee of modifier keys emacs uses.

Do it in Emacs, then

You can make Vim inside Emacs, therefore Emacs is superior

Those are the GOAT keybindings though. Get good kid.

nuffin

>he is so autistic that he thinks that LEFT means DOWN and DOWN means UP
vimlets are beyond help

Attached: a.jpg (336x301, 11K)

It is. Emacs users will deny this, but if you want a Vi(m) experience, Vim is the best tool for it. Emacs with evil + other bells & whistles isn't as performant (Emacs is more prone to perf issues), robust (undotree for example fails when you use large numbers on repetitions on macros) or easy to configure (vim's mapping system is more straightforward for simple maps).

>github.com/numirias/security/blob/master/doc/2019-06-04_ace-vim-neovim.md
>- 2019-05-22 Vim and Neovim maintainers notified
>- 2019-05-23 Vim patch released
>- 2019-05-29 Neovim patch released

>therefore Emacs is superior
therefore Emacs is bloated
You shouldn't need to create better editors inside your editor.

it's the modeline, retard

b-but muh "it's theoretically better if you spend years of your life configuring it"

Memeovim

So basically, if I open a text file in Vim or neovim, it can execute some arbitrary code on my machine if I have modeline set? Is that the idea here?

Good thing Emacs can use any kind of model you want, which includes things better than Vim. Of course when you grow up you figure out modifiers are the only thing that makes sense.

How hard do you think it is to configure Emacs?

yes, simply put
set nomodeline
in your vimrc and you're good

Thanks, I've already updated all my vimrc files.

Exactly. It could be strictly superior, but the devs are developing it with the shitty default functionality, and the rest is done by the community with lower resources. It just doesn't have the backing to be 100% on par with Vim, especially if you include all the plugins being developed for vim.

Fact is, both programs can do anything you would need a text editor to do.

It's not a feature I've ever used anyway

It is a bug, because you can break out of a sandbox designed to keep arbitrary code from executing on your computer.

Oh man, I missed the option "make_emacs_just_as_tight_as_vim_without_effort". How stupid of me.

I bet your keys aren't even composable. Do you have operators or text objects? If not, your setup is strictly inferior to a modal one

Twdt

So no answer then?

it's enabled by default, so you have to disable it yourself

Attached: Screenshot_20190605_072248.jpg (720x1440, 201K)

Go join a debate club, there is nothing either of us could say that has not already been said on this topic.

I know, I just meant that I've never put a modeline in a file.

This is an amazing fanfic written by someone who doesn't even write VimL or Emacs Lisp

>Do you have operators or text objects?
No, Emacs writes my code for me.

>If not, your setup is strictly inferior to a modal one
Gotcha, manually pressing keyboard keys is superior to sitting back and sipping my brandy and watching chinese cartoons.

This. Emacs + Evil mode was always the winner.

>Emacs writes my code for me
What did he mean by this?

>manually pressing keyboard keys is superior to sitting back and sipping my brandy and watching chinese cartoons
Why yes, I do code using speech recognition software. How could you tell?

Attached: 1559215629847.png (530x579, 148K)

youtube.com/watch?v=8SkdfdXWYaI

You don't need, but you can.
You can run linux inside linux, as a user space program, but you don't need to.
Nobody tried to have those features, but the good design covers all kind of extreme cases.
Vimtards are trying to shill that having less features and a getting fucked by a .txt file is better.
It is as if vim is made by apple, both on quality and the cult following.
>you are using it wrong
>wwy want that feature

you will never be even a half this based

developers^W stupidity, stupidity, stupidity

disgusting

touching nodejs is like touching a nigger's penis

user, Emacs has a lot of security flaws than most veteran Emacs guys know and accept. Just don's save your personal bank account password on Emacs.

thank you for telling us your experiences. I will refrain from trying to touch a nigger dick. Thank you.

wait, vim on a smartphone? but why?

btw, termux has everything in it

>vim? but why?
ftfy

vi doesn't have this problem

cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-8218/opec-1/VIM.html

Emacs: 21, Vim: 11

Conclusion: vim is more secure

This. "JKL;" layout would be vastly superior. With "HJKL" one has to move hand from a home row to use it.
I know it's just one column away, but that messes up things even more because it's easier to confuse it with homerow.

>you can make a cheap knockoff of a better editor in it, therefore it's superior
Wow, installing Emacs right now

Vim itself is literally a cheap knockoff of both vi and emacs.

No, it's the mainline project with everything tailored to it and its modal system, unlike evil-mode, which is just a plugin trying to fit in a non-modal emacs system.

>vimlet can't reason beyond trivial choices of editing schemes
Not that I'd expect much from you anyway.

>Emacstard thinks that anything with vi keybinds=Vim
Oof

Attached: 1522775616170.jpg (947x1024, 83K)

>Oof
>w*jak and p*pe in a single image
>completely misunderstanding both of the posts you're replying to
Is this the level of discourse we should expect from a vimtard?

>left is down and down is up in vim
lol what?

Emacs is also more than 4x older than Vim, meaning that Vim had twice as many vulnerabilities per time period.

>misses the context of discussion and breaks in with his autistic "akschually" crap no one cares about
>complains about misunderstanding

Attached: 1557961943582.png (900x900, 34K)

You should take some advice from Pokemon and actually try evolving.

He probably implies the home row of a right hand, aka "JKL;"
See

I just use arrow keys because it's what I got used to playing in mame and 2hu

I don't care, I run Neovim in Docker anyway.

Attached: 217ed83a2bb219ad1c10995be5da4038.jpg (249x331, 17K)

>Docker

you are disqualified, opinion discarded

This user is actually clever.
It's a great sandboxed and, above all, consistant way of running software.

I don't why I didn't have this idea before.
Found this and it is amazing : github.com/mikadosoftware/workstation

Attached: c3748e2d805b7c06b6ca6375abde095b.jpg (294x293, 26K)

Is there a way to configure nano so that is has emacs keybindings?
I want to get comfy when there's no emacs on a machine I'm using temporarily.

they both lose on my PC, i prefer Midnight Commander's editor, but if i had to choose between emacs & vim i would choose nano and emacs & vim would still lose, sometimes a text editor should ONLY be a text editor

oh i understand, but since my little finger is by far my weakest finger i wouldn't want to use it for moving right, i'd rather just move my index finger whenever i want to press H

And that's why Kakoune et. al. are superior and why legacy crust and bloat are bad.

OBSESSED

>p*pe
apu*

>types with the homerow
pathetic normalfag shit

>he doesn't touch type
Repeat again, who is the normalfag?

i touch type and my hands are on the wasd pathetic loser

>Kakoune
Who?

pico > nano

ok, run ls in a docker then

What makes good software?

Nah, it isn't. If you map your modifiers properly, non-modal editing is better.
It's objectively more efficient in terms of number of keypresses.
t. used Vim for 5 years, then switched to Emacs.

It did, but let's not pretend that everything is perfect.

>Nah, it isn't. If you map your modifiers properly, non-modal editing is better.
It's not because after ten minutes my fingers hurt and I need to pause for half an hour.

t. presses modifiers with his pinkie
Use your thumbs

I started liking modifiers only when I bought a japanese keyboard so I could bind all important modifiers under my thumbs.

While I don't like default modifiers as well, it sounds like you should learn how to use keyboard first, before you harm yourself.

What keyboard did you buy? How did you map it?

The problem is that almost every keyboard produced nowadays isn't designed with lots of modifier key usage in mind, [spoiler]let alone any keyboard usage at all[/spoiler]. Lisp machine keyboards did it right, as Ctrl is easily reachable with your thumb.
I personally swap left Ctrl and left Alt so I can press both modifiers with my thumbs.
This is also the reason I prefer using nano over vi, if available, when I'm on a remote session and I just need to do a quick edit. Because remember, despite the meme that is usually spread, Vim isn't what is nearly universally installed on POSIX systems, nor the editor which came up with its keybindings. That's Vi. And it was also due to the original keyboard having few, awkwardly placed modifiers. Emacs was initially designed with the Space Cadet keyboard in mind, for instance (which also had modifiers easily usable with thumbs).
Another massive meme (which even the EmacsWiki fell for!) is that old keyboards had a Ctrl key where Caps Lock is now located. This is simply false, only some keyboards did, and they were newer than most others which had caps lock in the current position (even typewriters did). It's nothing but false history, which meme keyboards such as the HHKB still spread. Plus, it's suboptimal: you are still using your pinkie. Stretching your pinkie is one of the main causes of RSI.

Attached: symbolics2.jpg (1024x768, 167K)

>Lisp machine keyboards did it right, as Ctrl is easily reachable with your thumb.
You can also easily press Control on modern keyboards by taking your hands off the letter keys. But that is not the point of writing on a keyboard. On both keyboards in the picture your thumbs would still be on the space bar for regular usage.

just put the right hand on ASDF and the left hand on JKL; - Control is now easily under the thumbs, problem solved

Attached: $_57.jpg (1600x1200, 216K)