I just got into VOIP and it's very nice

I just got into VOIP and it's very nice.

I want a "business phone" on my desk, to connect to a SIP service.

What is one that allows me to configure it (SIP and stuff) through any browser? like the ATA i have i just go to it's ip in my browser.

are the cisco unified phones requiring some base station or something similar? can i just do it through a browser?

Attached: s-l500.jpg (500x500, 27K)

Do you wanna skype?

Attached: SIP-T56A-SFB-2.jpg (1000x1000, 146K)

naw i just want a cheap used ip phone so i can call people

also, something that can be powered without any special PoE required

my best advice for you then is find some friends or family and have them ask their IT department if they have an old phone that they would want to give instead of throw away. Usually departments have some spare outdated shit.
Otherwise, you are going to pay a lot for a business phone with the options you want. Businesses usually get jewed because "it's the business paying for it" mentality.

Setup a Asterisk PBX (foss) on a Odroid and run ethernet ports to every room.

Attached: EB_Industrial_VoIP.jpg (474x355, 22K)

Polycom VVX411 or similar stuff.
These phones are designed for that stuff

oh, then just some plain old Siemens Octophone stuff

is there any SIP cisco that can be simple and not require a special PoE?

>Mingbo Lee
>fucking MINGBO

Attached: image.jpg (1280x1080, 975K)

LOL - VoIP very nice. That's a good one. I can tell you're new, and don't do much with it.

I am going to give you some advice - always reboot the phone as the first step. Do this long enough to get a grasp on the technologies involved - then get the fuck out.

VoIP is a fucking shit show.

Just get an injector.

Grab a simple asterisk like freepbx

Grab a yealink phone - they are simple, cheap, have a wide feature set and don't tend to fuck up so badly that a reboot won't cure most things

STAY AWAY FROM SCCP (cisco) - or for that matter most of the other fuckfest proprietary shit like avaya, or GOD FUCKING FORBID - Epygi

how is it bad?

what's wrong with Cisco? what about the one on ebay that says it was flashed with SIP firmware?

can i buy a SCCP fone n setup SIP from like voip.ms for example?

lol I've been working at a VoIP MSP for the last 7 years, it is a shitshow because only boomers buy VoIP desk sets, and they hate technology. Also everyone in the telecom industry in my country seems like a complete fuck up and vendors are always a pain to deal with.

Get a Yealink or Polycom, Asterisk if you're a babby but FreeSwitch is master race

What if Cisco phones were the only ones available?

I don't want to spend a lot of money for a new one, and used ones are preferred from, like eBay and such

"ring ring ring"
"Hello this is VoIP provider"
"MY FUCKING CALLS ARE DROPPING I AM CALLING MY LAWYER IF YOU DON'T FIX THIS NOW"
*2 hours of digging with the little to no information the client is willing to give
"Hello this is voip provider, we can find no reason for any disruption, we show all systems are stable, our monitoring shows your connection stable, and our statistics show the call was transmitting normally and nothing was amiss, then we see the far end stop transmitting data and 30 seconds later a disconnect. We believe the far end lost the call, but would like to keep an eye on the..."
"HOW DARE YOU CALL ME A LIAR! I WiLL HAVE YOUR HEAD!!!"
*2 days later we are in contact with their lawyer over the contract.
*1 day later everything goes silent
*1 day later we contact the client to keep the process moving
"Hello this is VOIP provider, we wanted to reach out as we have not heard back from your or your legal staff and wanted to make sure we were maintaining responsiveness"
"Oh yes, thank you for your call - we actually spoke with the other person and it seems they had gone into a tunnel and lost the call on their cell phone"

This would happen about 3-5 times a month. You really do not want to know all of the bull shit network detective work that goes with VoIP. most providers won't even bother with it, they will just blame the customers network and walk away.

SPA series Cisco phones are alright I guess, they're reliable but not cutting edge or too fancy.

A lot of Cisco phones only work with the SCCP protocol where you'll need a Cisco call manager PBX or something to actually use the phone, so be careful when purchasing. Some models can do both SIP and SCCP but you'll need the SIP firmware if you buy one of those models (they almost always ship with SCCP only firmware), and getting that is not always easy depending on the exact model.

Greandstream's are also cheap AF, they have a shit provisioning format and can be a bit flaky, but for non-crucial use they're OK I guess

nailed it, blaming the other carrier then ignoring them is my go to tactic when everything looks good

i'm definitely guilty of wasting hours chasing after network ghosts as well, but 99/100 times it is the customer's fucking shit network that is the issue

Listen, I would try to make a joke here - but I SUFFERED this shit - stay away from cisco. Cisco phones should only ever be used with full Cisco systems - and unless you have 50-500 grand to drop on a real cisco system and the 150-200 grand a year on staff to run it with the rest of your corporate infrastructure correctly - you are better off with yealinks and some variant of asterisk that has a simple gui.

If you care to learn a back end and ALL about VoIP (and suffering by extension for the uninitiated) try base asterisk or freeswitch (Not sure if fusion PBX is still around, but that had a reasonably simple front end as well)

looking for one too, what one would you guys recommend? have some of these choices (under $50 USD)

- Cisco CP-7940G SIP
- Cisco CP-7970G SIP
- Cisco CP-7961G SIP

would they work standalone? or would i need some other cisco systems?

This is all any of these fuck heads do these days. The fun part is now that I am out of that shit and I run the network they try to blame this shit on - I get to rub this in their face, and then I get to make it REALLY difficult for them when I pass them full packet captures (yes in a secure manner ffs) to show them that their dumb ass phone system is just dropping the far end of the call because their trunk provider is shit.

Lets just say, these days the clients love me and the vendors can't figure out how to feel about me as I both fix their stupid ass problems for them, and rub their nose in the shit when they crap on the rug.

fuck you sound just like me, I don't really do support anymore either, I fucking setup everything that our current platform is on, network, servers, dev tools, everything. The small company I was working for was selling VoIP premise systems before I started.

I have one carrier in particular that I fucking had to rag on because they kept dropping signalling traffic for minutes at a time. After much back and forth it turns out they were "overloaded" and were indeed dropping signalling to all customers because their metaswitch was maxing out at 100% utilization. That's the incompetence part of the industry, see it all the time

I would seriously caution you against those.

If you are just starting something like a Yealink T23G would be a much more gentle shaft to take in the ass for that price range

Get a SPA502 instead of any of those if you're so set on Cisco, guy is selling 5 for $40 on ebay right now

>SPA502
Would it work with a SIP service? only reason why I'm looking to get one instead of an ATA.

If not, will flashing the firmware to support SIP be easy, and wont need a rasp pi?

... GET OUT OF MY HEAD, DOPPLEGANGER. GIVE MY REGARDS TO QUEEN DOPPLEPOPALOUS.

Actually in seriousness - I am pretty sure the reason this might sound similar is that all of these fucking VoIP vendors do the same shit, cheap hardware, not enough experience, NO NETWORK EXPERIENCE, bad network providers and gear, cheap trunk providers and then they cheap out on their vendor channel packages - I have seen this exact shit with at least a dozen and worked for a vendor that did this shit. It was pretty bad having to run my own teams nose in the dirt on client calls - but I have to admit by the time I got on the call I was MORE than willing to do it.

worked VoIP support for several years, this is 100% accurate

Attached: 1556435079584.jpg (260x326, 33K)

Yes the 502 will work with SIP, like everything Cisco it's a little over complicated but the SPA phones are all SIP capable, shouldn't even need to flash any firmware.

any other cheaper alternatives? could find one for $100 CAD but thats way too much

is the 502 really worth 50% more over the SIP firmware CP-79xxG's?

Attached: 7970g.jpg (200x150, 7K)

stop pushing this shit - seriously.

Recommending those phones is on par with recommending a polycom IP501. And if you knew anything about the topic you would know realize exactly how much of a insult to those that is.

oh, i know of this pain

I also know of the customer who I must inform has bricked their take-home ip phone, because someone told them to factory reset their phone that has to connect to vpn before registering. Much gnashing of teeth, many such cases. Many days before the new phone with the vpn configuration loaded onto it would arrive, the old phone to be sent back and probably sent back out and wiped again.

Yeah, law firms were the worst.

all voip desksets for under $50 are gonna be shit

Anyone who has touched VoIP for clients knows this pain - it gets especially bad with law firms.

Half of that 200 grand goes towards your engineers sitting on a call with Cisco TAC with CUCM inevitably breaks while the finest in Indian Tier 3 CCIE's attempts to fix it by bruteforcing every option in the menu.

idc about the features or quality. i want a deskset that callz. and under $50.

im gonna be ordering pizza and calling my daughter in sick to school

Just use a softphone then and save yourself the dosh.

The 7940/7960s aren't bad, they're ancient but generally stable, I've used them with CUCM systems as well as Asterisk (both SCCP and SIP firmware) and they work well.

All the newer models are bugged the fuck out, though, even the 7942/7962 series is riddled with bugs.

but i wont be cool like dongle trump

Attached: Donald Trump On Da Fone.jpg (702x468, 38K)

just get an ATA instead if you don't need any features, or use a softphone for free, you're gonna be pulling your hair out for no reason if you buy a cheap SIP desk phone for just making calls

what could go wrong?

If your engineer EVER has to be on the phone with TAC about this shit - they may need to be replaced.

My 2nd week in VoIP I was on the phone with TAC on some shit CUCM in a branch office - I had to actually grab the session and fix the fucking problem myself because they could not figure out how to unfuck a simple call routing issue and the problem seemed simple and obvious to me.

Yeah stable, but still garbage. They are some how less functional, and a hell of a lot less useful then yealink t28s

On and that fucking plastic stand stop breaks off inside, so you have the flip the fucking phone upside down and hold the foot in position if you want to keep using the stand.

Ah, but you are forgetting the bugs like the ones that make high availability just shit itself or some other godawfulness so now you've gotta get TAC to enter their super secret password at the CUCM console prompt so they can go play around with RHEL and eventually unfuck that

glad to hear CUCM is shit, I never really had to deal with it but my support experiences with ShoreTel and Avaya are pretty much the same

Grandstream GXP2130 (2160 and 70 have nicer screens) + voip.ms. Easy home/small business setup and inexpensive.

Oh. That fucking shit.

Yeah - Cisco phone systems can fuck right off. If it wasn't for the fact their networking gear did all of the shit I need it as well could fuck right off.

Cisco has become the color and scent of HATE for me. That thing you need, but makes you suffer like no other.

They kinda all are. If you have to work with their support you will know pain.

I think the worst one I touched was Epygi.

*crack*
here's the only SIP you need, user.

Attached: monster-zerio.jpg (600x402, 39K)

Attached: 0fff24db1bcdb43571426c1d54d79e03.png (600x595, 473K)

me hate phone

Kek my company sells on old CP-6941's and similar models and some SPA504G's, using TFTPboot on the former and manually setting up the later, I can't think who our provider is for VoIP services is but even though initial set up is a pain in the ass we never have complaints from our customers because the shit just werks. It's a really hacky way of providing VoIP though and if customers want new hardware we just buy Yealink for them which is far simplier and the functions are even easier to use.

I used Cisco 7940, it's a pain to set it up. First needs to flash SIP firmware, then make config files, everything is done throught tftp.

Also had some linksys/cisco one and that was much more end user friendly, had web frontend.

Nowadays you should just use your android phone for sip, get some client that support push notifications to avoid battery drain.

Attached: linksys_phone.jpg (500x484, 19K)