Seagate 16TB Drives Released

techspot.com/news/80365-seagate-16tb-hdds-now-available-purchase.html
>The data storage company on Tuesday said it has been actively shipping its Exos X16 HDD, a 3.5-inch 7200 RPM drive designed specifically for enterprise applications. More applicable to the average consumer, Seagate also announced its IronWolf and IronWolf Pro 16TB drives for home and small office NAS systems and small-medium business environments, respectively. The standard IronWolf drive packs a three-year warranty and is ideal for backups, remote access and file sharing while the Pro variant comes with a five-year warranty and is meant for environments with heavier workloads.

>Both IronWolf models boast 256MB of cache and utilize the SATA 6Gb/s interface. Seagate’s Exos X16 16TB HDD carries an MSRP of $629 and is available to purchase from today.
>IronWolf and IronWolf Pro drives are also in stock and shipping from Connection for $590.80 and $650.58, respectively.
>$0.037/GB
Why are drives larger than 3 and maybe 4TB never cheaper $/GB wise? New ones on PCPartpicker are $0.015 or $0.017/GB right now. It's been that way for years.
If these large capacity drives don't get cheaper there is little point in them existing especially as large SSDs get cheaper.

Attached: 2019-06-04-image-11.jpg (528x761, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/hdd/ironwolf/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

lack of being mass produced. 4TB drives are produced now on a grand scale. Being mass produced means price goes down. If we ever get to the point where high capacity drives become extremely common place, we'll see cheap 8TB Drives.

I need more drive space but I'm poorfag student right now ;_;

>still using 7200rpm
>not 10 or 15K
Into the trash it goes all 5200 and 7200rpm disks

both 10k and 15k are worthless when SSDs exist. HDDs not are purely for mass storage reasons. Nothing more nothing less. Get with the times grandpa.

I keep hoping that announcements for higher-capacity drives ends up pushing down prices or raising capacity for mainstream mechanical storage but it never does. I only hope Seagate's HAMR + WD's MAMR technologies finally break the dam on areal density of platters and we finally escape the mass storage purgatory that has set in ever since perpendicular recording was introduced back around 2006.
Non-enterprise users matter too and not everyone trusts the Cloud.

Attached: 02_-_flash-hdd-cpgb.png (2515x1406, 252K)

The higher capacity the drive, the more features they put in it to ensure stability and lack of data loss. Just take a look at the features in those 16TB drives vs their 2TB ironwolfs, it's a significant gap (and you can see the difference in their long-term failure rates, lower capacity drives fail much more often).

>seagate

Attached: cute_niggres.png (836x1124, 1.5M)

Ok this isn't funny anymore

seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/hdd/ironwolf/

Why don't you have 16TB of storage, Jow Forums?

Milky Mommy

how much?

It's in the OP
>Seagate’s Exos X16 16TB HDD carries an MSRP of $629 and is available to purchase from today.
>IronWolf and IronWolf Pro drives are also in stock and shipping from Connection for $590.80 and $650.58, respectively.

That's pretty expensive, too bad because I'm really looking to buy 2 HDD with a lot of storage space (1 for hoarding shit indefinitely and the other for backups). In a few months maybe.

These are enterprise drives and NAS drives, they're always expensive

Barracuda Pro 16TB desktop drives should ship later this year for under $600

>tfw can buy 32TB worth of storage instead of the Apple StandTM

Ah right, my bad, I thought it was their consumer drives. I'll probably get 2 6tb or 8tb drives anyway since it's way more affordable.

>seagate

Enjoy the data loss cuckies

I have a 10GB Seagate, likely manufactured before either of you were born, still spinning.

Attached: 1551920458835.gif (504x280, 908K)

I have a 500gb seagate since 2010, still spinning, not a single bad or slow sector.

Shilling this hard
FOR FREE

I'll take 10

go gay for pay

I have 16 1TB hard drives so I only lose 1TB of data when a hard drive fails.

when can I buy it in the UK? was about to look to get the 14TB until I saw the 16TB

based