$999 for a monitor stand

>$999 for a monitor stand

i'm 18 so i was wondering if people massively overpaid for tech and accessories back in the 80's and 90's?

twitter.com/DaveLeeBBC/status/1135709989861859329

Attached: stand.png (597x450, 261K)

yes

No, it was just all expensive.
>$500 in 1980's dollars for an external floppy drive

I remember hard drives being fucking expansive in the 80s. I can't recall any accessories as overpriced as this stand though.

It's funny because the majority of that stand can be extruded, but they probably machined it out of an enormous aluminum billet.

Just cuz you're a poorfag who can't afford this AMAZING STAND doesn't mean it's not good.

Now go back to /v/

Yeah, tech shit was expensive for legitimate technical reasons. This stand is a whole other beast. It could have easily been produced in the 80s for a fraction of the price. There’s no reason other than “because we can”, and very likely , it’s Apple’s MO to brag about how much they’ve over-engineered a mundane item and constructed it in a manner that no one asked for, needs, or would even notice.

Computers in the 80s used to be $5000+ easily.
That would be $12,000 in today's money.

Attached: yande.re 17512 dress neon_genesis_evangelion sadamoto_yoshiyuki souryuu_asuka_langley.jpg (3329x4500, 2.02M)

With a price tag like that you'd think they could at least have used silver

The computer itself is definitely much more reasonably priced. I think anyone who knows what they're talking about realizes taht

>all those "journalists" taking photos with an ipad

Attached: image.jpg (504x470, 264K)

More reasonably priced than a $1000 monitor stand, yes. But still very overpriced, even for Xeon gear.

Brave
Bold
Moving

Here's to the Crazy Ones:
Think Different.

Attached: 1559596994955.jpg (988x768, 142K)

Apple is for "security over freedom" cucky brainlets. It's a mindset. "I'll pay anything, just don't make me have to think or be responsible."

Yes, a typical computer you would see in 1998 pre dot com bubble internet startup would cost you $28,0000USD today.

Attached: sunultra.png (807x421, 597K)

>i'm 18 so i was wondering if people massively overpaid for tech and accessories back in the 80's and 90's?

The Mac IIfx, the most expensive mac ever, until now was $13,750, but you got a lot for that. 6 expansion slots, 200W power supply, 40Mhz, with 32k cache... When most 386s were 20~25Mhz, a 40Mhz machine was fast.

The accompanying video card was $3000.
Apple 8*24 GC was one of the first GPUs with its own OS, and expansion from 2Mb to 10Mb of GWorld VRam. ( imagine how much a 10GB video card would cost now?

The biggest question is always... how do they stack up in garbage cans.

Attached: Apple Macintosh Display Card 8○24 GC.jpg (1600x899, 215K)

Attached: stand.png (800x600, 73K)

Is this bait? I remember buying a PII 266- 32MB RAM for less than 2k.

>Is this bait?
no, you never worked at amazon, yahoo, netscape...etc.

But that's not a "typical computer".

My 486DX2 66MHz with 8mb ram was just shy of $2k back then.
>tfw getting a soundblaster and cd-rom

Attached: 1555475828752.jpg (1280x720, 147K)

it was at those places. Amazon didn't remove all their sparcs until the mid 2000's. They were completely a sun shop in 1998. My sophomore year at Purdue allowed us access to the Sun Labs which were full of $12,000 Sun workstations. Hundreds of them.

That's a workstation not a PC. Back then "workstation" really meant a dedicated piece of tech for job-related shit.

Ah, I see your small mindedness is now caught up on the whole PC means wintel thing. If that's your bag then go for it; it's a pointless argument over semantics though. Remember though, both SGI and Sun made intel based "workstations"

I'd fuck Sakura

Looks like shit, no wonder it's so cheap

Computers were more expensive, because there wasn't a facory printing out three hundred million microchips at any manufacturers' fingertips.

They're not taking photos, the stand was an AR setup that when viewed with an iPad let you disassemble the components

Revolutionary and bravepilled

I heard the standard for computers was like 3k (with $600 worth of parts) back in the 80s before companies like Dell and HP

$900 for a 10 Mb hard drive
Lt Kernal for C 64

thank god this shit was the last nail in my curiosity to try Apple products. Fuck that gay shit.

But such a drive was revolutionary back then.
This is literally a monitor stand

Tech was expensive yes, but it was also costly to manufacture so the price was more or less justified. Nowadays manufacturing a monitor stand in China doesn't cost more than $1 a piece. That's the difference.

>if people massively overpaid for tech and accessories back in the 80's and 90's?
Prices were high because tech (and the manufacturing methods to make it) was newer and a lot less widely adopted.

>back in the 80's and 90's?
Why would you include two decades?
There was a huge difference in technology between 1981 and 1999.

where are we posting now that r/scorch got banned

is this thing lovingly handcrafted by some master artisan?
because if it's just CNC machined and polished then it should be $100 max

ITS A SHIT STAND TOO SHOULD HAVE AN ARTICULATING FULL MOTION ARM AT LEAST

POORFAGS MAD THO LMAO

CAREFUL TIM, MAKE ENOUGH POORFAGS MAD THEY GET THE PITCHFORKS

Or the guillotine. Last time some elite class fucked with poor people. Heads got lost. The Great Apple purge is alomost here macfag. Hope you like the Apple branded caskets we will bury you in.(At $4500000 cost to your estate)

Don't know where this is manufactured. Given the parts and its construction, I would wager it's not China. China don't do precision.

People are complaining the stand is overpriced, but it's actually... kind of not. It looks overpriced because it feels too extravagant for the function, but when you actually look at the cost of precision machining for durable moving parts, it ain't cheap. A Japanese brand, Toyo Zouki, manufactured clamps that cost $600 a piece. Smaller than this stand, with the same sort of movement and precision required.

I think the VESA adapter is a rip-off though. It's not something that even needs to exist.

This
Changes
Everything

Remember, it's not just a monitor stand, it's a monitor stand for the last line of Apple desktops to ever be produced.

COLLECTORS ITEM

BUY AND HODL

Back in the 1980s and 1990s tech was expensive but not overpriced. There is a difference. Production costs were much higher back then.

HAVE THEY FIGURED OUT THE UNIT COST TO APPLE ON THE GRANDSTAND YET, IS IT MORE THAN 1000% PROFIT MARGIN

>i'm 18 so i was wondering if people massively overpaid for tech and accessories back in the 80's and 90's?
Overpaid isn't quite the right word, it's more that tech has massively fallen in price as it's been developed and perfected. Manufacturers are way better at making it, operations have been moved to cheaper places, quality is way more reliable. It all contributes to dropping the price.

We really did pay a lot more than now though.
You can still pay $5k for a PC if you want to though, if you get all the latest everything.

>With a price tag like that you'd think they could at least have used silver
Silver isn't that expensive. I'm surprised it's not titanium desu, my Jonsbo case is brushed aluminum for a much lower price
Al conducts heat well though, maybe Ti doesn't.

A weapon to surpass Metal Gear

lmao

Attached: 1369628536565.jpg (342x384, 19K)

>Given the parts and its construction, I would wager it's not China. China don't do precision.
It is Chinese. China does precision and China does crude. It depends on the company and who they're selling to.

Factories that sell to Apple make it to Apple's specs and have Apple engineers embedded in their factory inspecting their shit. I've met them in China.
These sorts of companies often basically only exist to produce shit for one western company, they probably don't do anything else. Apple will have closely controlled how the factory was built, where they get their materials, everything about the operation.
They'll be owned by a larger company that has a bunch of these factories making high-quality components for different western companies but each factory probably only produces components for one customer company.

OFTEN CHINA ISNT THE LOWEST LABOR COST ANYMORE, AND WITH DRUMPF TARIFFS EQUATION SHIFTS EVEN MORE

YOU GET A LOT OF MALAYSIA AND SHIT

>i was wondering if people massively overpaid for tech and accessories back in the 80's and 90's?

In the 90s a home office printer could cost $4000+

It's enterprise pricing. It's not for regular consumers. Yes, it's a huge ripoff.

I used to work for a software SDK company. We had tiers of licensing (trial, student, startup, enterprise), and we had the dreaded "Contact Us" button for enterprise pricing.

We'd basically size up the company and charge them whatever we thought they could afford.

Basic rule of thumb was add a zero to the end of our normal pricing if the company was F500. For medical companies or federal government, add another zero.

A $500 monitor gets sold as $5000 to banks, and $50,000 to hospitals.

Don't compare a magnetic drive to a hunk of metal.

>I value form over function when it comes to tech
Don't get me wrong, if I see 2 equally functional pieces, I'm going with the one that looks better as well. You can probably get stands with the same functionality that look a lot nicer.
Though what Apple has produced is just 2 pieces of metal glued together at an angle. The only functionality that piece of shit gives you is "it stands upright".

>A $500 monitor gets sold as $5000 to banks, and $50,000 to hospitals.
That's fucking disgraceful.

>999 american dollars
>plus tip
>for a lump of metal

Attached: ecrwtpl.png (618x298, 268K)

Hang on, what if you don't buy the stand? What do you do with the screen, just rest it flat on the desk? Put it on the floor? Prop it against a wall?

Um sweeting I think you'll find it has a magnetic latch and an adjustable arm that can raise/lower tilt and rotate the screen.

So it's a lump of metal with a magnet attached.
>for 999 american dollars
>plus tip

Attached: laughing rhino.jpg (640x427, 71K)

this