Attached: sshd.png (800x325, 71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

raid-failure.com/raid5-failure.aspx
twitter.com/AnonBabble

no

yes

>2TB
Why get anything less than 8TB?

I didn't even think they still made SSHDs.
What the fuck is the point even, it was only appealing back when SSDs were stupidly expensive.

For a laptop? Yes.

>2.5"
Why?
If you're buying this for a laptop, get an SSD. If you're buying it for a desktop, get a cheaper 3.5"

I bought a seagate sshd once. It failed in the first year. Then got another one via warranty. It failed too. The other thing I don't like about them is when you query the SMART data, there's no way to tell if the flash is failing/wear level or if it's the "spinning rust" that is failing.

for anything that only has a single 2.5" slot

Show me a 2.5" by 7mm 8TB drive or a laptop with a 3.5" bay

Actually, why don't thicc as fuck monster laptops with desktop CPUs have 3.5" bays?

They need the space for battery and heat sinks and don't need to weigh even more than they already do.

what if
get this
what if you just
what if instead of getting 5% SSD and 95% HD you got 100% SSD and 0% HD?

You want me to buy 16TB of flash storage for my data archives when I only access ~500GB of it in any given year?

My bad, I didn't see the form factor. You could get an 8TB external USB HDD, not sure how reliable the enclosed drives are though.

Seagate has been shit for years.

That disk is how I found out.

The Thai floods fucked their equipment so they must've outsourced to Chinkistan or something.

>Chinkistan
I love this board

uhhh wut?

no

buy as much NVMe storage as you need, and nothing more. Just make sure its not a fucking hard disk drive

I was responding to the below
>what if instead of getting 5% SSD and 95% HD you got 100% SSD and 0% HD?

If you're that some user, you moved the goalposts.

What's your use case?

no, you're misunderstanding. OP was asking about a hybrid drive and Im suggesting dont get a hybrid, just get a proper SSD. Thats what those %s mean

laptopping

Yes, you get 5 years of warranty (vs 2 years) plus actually get a slight better drive so when the warranty expires you can lie to yourself that it was the features you paid extra for. Same with the slight surcharge with the Exos drives (5 years, 237~250MB/s) over the Ironwolf (3 years, 210MB/s).

Downloading lots of sad pandas and never looking at them again.

> not getting an enterprise 4TB drive for $69.69 on amazon

SSHD were never woth it

The drives are made of Chinesium.

I momentarily thought this thread was about SSH daemon

The SSHD will be faster. I have the same model one in my Thinkpad as a secondary data storage drive. My OS drive though is a 500GB SSD.

>2TB in a laptop
You need a NAS. It's dangerous to store all your stuff on a single drive with no redundancy, especially in a portable device that is prone to being dropped or lost.

Attached: sadflan.png (602x393, 289K)

>buying an HDD instead of SDD in 2020-1
Holy fuck, the cost of SDDs dropped like a rock and you're still considering an HDD? A 5400RPM at that too? Fucking hell. HDDs are way too fucking slow compared to SDDs to even consider them in this day and age

this is just too logical for the brainlet OP is if he's even considering an HDD in this day and age.

Get a Crucial MX 500 and an external for your Chinese cartoons. The performance of an SSD is absurdly worth it, and you'll get slightly better battery life too.
You just have no idea until you try it out. It's an amazing difference.

Low end Seagate drives are trash, but their more expensive ones which compete with WD in NAS and server applications are pretty good.

You're too drunk or not drunk enough, AvE.

No. SSD is worth it nowadays. Especially with Samsung Evo.

I already have a 24TB NAS but I don't always have a wifi connection to tunnel in.

The cheapest 2TB ssd is still around $220.

get a 512MB SSD and be more selective about what you take with you

Attached: touhou flandre how to draw.jpg (1000x1350, 191K)

>get a 512MB SSD and be more selective about what you take with you
>512MB

No wonder Pajeets can't code well, you can't afford the extra file space.

my humble apologies, i have brought dishonor upon myself and my family

Attached: sad_lain.jpg (251x231, 11K)

Why get anything more than 1TB?

>Needing 4TB

Why? In 2019, why would you need so much storage? Heck, I still have a 500GB HDD that I bought back in 2008. I still haven't filled it up.

What's some good NAS hardware that runs Linux and uses low power?

Animu

>I already have a 24TB NAS
This you?

Attached: 26terrorbytes.jpg (4011x2100, 3.73M)

Mine's an underclocked Ryzen 2400G running FreeNAS. It would be nice if you could get a little ARM development board but as far as I know none of them have multiple SATA ports.

Attached: the big duo.jpg (1024x768, 109K)

I always felt like those things were a terrible meme.

No, I run a RAID 5

Then get a 1TB and use a NAS or other storage solution you brainlet. There is no fucking point in using spinning disk technolo/g/

Still double the price

>24 TB in a RAID 5

Attached: Worry.jpg (193x245, 17K)

Oh noes, one 4kb sector might be corrupted in a rebuild. What a world, what a world.

More like a rebuild will take so long and tax the drives so badly that you can easily get another failure. It's not a big deal if you have a backup and can tolerate downtime and restoring. But if that's true, then using RAID 5 instead of jbod was a dumb idea to begin with.

RAID 5 is too risky for serious business but for a home NAS it's fine.

>tax the drives so badly
>one big sequential read
>one big sequential write

If you don't worry about Chkdsk or Truecrypt killing your drive, you should worry about a rebuild.

It's a bad compromise no matter what you're doing once you get beyond 6-12 TB, depending on the performance. Plus, you have to get a new drive in there right away, or have a hot spare, but if you have a spare on hand it should have been a 6 to begin with.

Failures and rebuilds usually happen when the drives are already older. Yes, a full sequential read on an old disk makes me nervous, because I've seen them fail, and this isn't just one drive. This is all in the array minus one. The likelihood of catastrophic failure is pretty high even with his 6 4YmTB drives
raid-failure.com/raid5-failure.aspx

>raid-failure.com
wow, what an unbiased source

>It's a bad compromise no matter what you're doing
Avoiding redownloading animu/games while also avoiding duplicating/triplicating your drives.

The most probable outcome is that none of the drives fail. And even if one does, the rebuild will probably succeed. Of course this is not good enough for a company database or customer data where a failure will be extremely expensive. But for storing your movie collection it's fine.

Okay guys whatever. Pretty much nobody with a clue trusts RAID 5 anymore for the reasons I've described, but I bet they're all just morons.

> seagate
> ever