/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Ryzen 3000 series CPUs with PCIe 4.0 will released on 7/7/2019; they will likely match or beat Intel's offerings in all categories. High performance Navi graphics cards will be released later in July. More Navi news at E3.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's 144Hz with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: chipset-cheatsheet.jpg (1510x849, 717K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.tomshardware.com/threads/separate-os-drive-benefits.2981622/
newegg.com/intel-660p-series-1tb/p/N82E16820167462
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/#view=zqYr7P
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/cZxNr6
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-2600-vs-Intel-Core-i5-9400/3955vsm735306
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fuck my shitty third world country, all pc parts are extra expensive because fuck you

I got a spare bedroom I could rent to you. But I live in Phoenix so its hot as fuck and you almost have to clean your PC weekly because there is dust fucking everywhere.

of course not?

how retarded do you have to be to buy intel in 2019?

Pretty much any multiplayer fps as networking takes a good deal of CPU, except for highly optimized games like Overwatch.
Pretty much any AAA game since 2015.

Should be ok.

1440p 144hz IPS monitors for gaming? for around $500

>Pretty much any AAA game since 2015.
He's clearly already got an i5 2500K, so he knows you're bullshitting

In case anons from the last thread didn't see my post.

I had a 2500k.
Stuttered like shit and couldn't do 60fps minimum in anything except the most optimized games.
And even in optimized games I had to close web browser to game.
And that was a "midrange" Intel CPU. Intel is garbage. Never again.

retard graphic cards in the OP again

>8700K over the 9700K
Stupid

This
Wait for the RX5700. With post launch date drivers it will be 30% faster than the 2080Ti for 75% less money

Say for the sake of argument that I am building a PC with multiple storage drives, one for the OS, and one for everything else. Should the drive containing the OS have more cache than the others, the other way around, or have all drives of equal cache capacity?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 9.41.18 PM.png (3174x1420, 409K)

Why would you have a drive just for the OS?
I'm using 89GB of my SSD and that's with a few games loaded to it along with all my apps. (NieR Automata is 27GB of that)

Yeah but would try to get me to pay my rent by sucking your dick. I'm not falling for that again, I'll just have to save an extra 20 to 30 usd equivalent to if I were to buy things in America

>Why would you have a drive just for the OS?
Why not ask the TH forums?
forums.tomshardware.com/threads/separate-os-drive-benefits.2981622/

>I'm not falling for that again
Dude c'mon, that was only one time. You need to move on and get over it.

i've been using a cheap (not even bronze) psu for 7 years now
should i replace it when i build my new zen2 system or is it fine?

even if that was a reputable psu with 7-10y warranty it would be starting to push it imo. I would get a new one with 7-10y warranty. you are lucky it lasted this long

is navi going to be any good or should i just buy a 2070 now?

is the best price to performance cpu cooler still the hyper 212 evo?

Anyone got experience with Hitachi Ultrastar 7k3000 drives?

The reviews on Amazon say it's total shit, but Hitachi is supposed to be great.

Does ryzen 3000 support windows 7 haha

>1TB Intel NVMe for $100

what a time to be alive

I bought one of those $300 Korean monitors in 2014. It's 1440p and 96hz IPS. It's lasted me 5 years.

Is there any new monitor tech that's actually a legit upgrade? 144hz is a slight upgrade, I guess. 4k is still a bit of a meme. And ultrawide seems like a huge annoyance with poor support.

Attached: 42lkdsn3wvn01.png (480x603, 672K)

replace, you don't want your old as shit psu to fry all your fancy new components. Also, don't cheap out, zen2 is gonna need a good amount of power to get the most out of it

Gimme an amazon link friend, was going to get an SSD for my new 8700k build.

newegg.com/intel-660p-series-1tb/p/N82E16820167462

wait for e3 at the very least. Navi will be shown off and we should get more details on it and how it performs. And there's a rumored Nvidia price drop with the NVidia Super or whatever shit they're doing. That could be announced at e3.

Thanks m8

If my CPU cooler can't handle the 130W+ required for an unlocked i7/i9 due to space constraints, is it better to buy a locked non-K processor? I know you can change a lot of things in the BIOS like frequency, active cores, hyperthreading, and PL1/PL2 to reduce temperatures. But the single/multi-core turbo boost frequencies are set in stone depending on which CPU you buy, right? Which means that an unlocked i9 would try to boost all the way to 5 GHz, regardless of what I set the base frequency to. If my system can't handle the higher boost of an unlocked processor, wouldn't it be better to choose a processor with a lower boost so that turbo boost can operate as intended?

Yes, as long as the performance is adequate to your needs. If you're expecting to OC an i9 9900k on one, think again.

>Nvidia price drop

Imagine actually believing this.

Anyway I wouldn't buy a 2070 or a Navi. They're overpriced. For $300 you can get a good aftermarket Vega 56 and that's a perfectly fine card for 1440p

>rose video is still here

Attached: kza.jpg (636x705, 47K)

>Imagine actually believing this.
No need to be rude. I am very skeptical that it'll happen, it probably won't, but it's still a rumor.

>8700k
>now
literally why

>supporting them

>one is $300
>other is $500

Don't be a fucking dumbass.

Also the OP seems suspiciously shill heavy towards Nvidia. The 56 has literally the exact same performance as a 2060 for $100 less. It also has 2 extra GB of VRAM.

Really at the current price points it's either Vega 56 for 1440p or 2080 for 4K. Anything in between has no place in the market.

Attached: LPdjH15.png (1069x421, 30K)

Can't say no to that kind of deal.

You can disable turbo in Windows power management. Max CPU something-or-other to 99% instead of 100%.
If power is a concern you want to disable turbo since the voltage is usually excessive compared to what you can achieve manually.

thank you

Is it worth egpu-ing an A12-9720P? What card would not get bottlenecked to hell

>Gainward
I didn't even know they still existed.

Stop trying to perpetuate hardware wars like a third world nigger from /v/.

what kind of budget should I give to a new computer?

what do you want to do with it

What/when is the next GPU memes? I want to upgrade from my RX580 so I can do 2k or maybe even 4k. will navi be worth the wait?

are you including a monitor? are you doing this for high end 1440p 144hz gayming? easily $2k

>[hebraic screeching loudens]
>I-Intel is fine!!!!
sure if you can still support buying insecure cpus with less performance for more

>maybe even 4k.
2080 ti or radeon vii literally your only choice. navi first release will not be better than radeon vii for 4k

Attached: 1559331696178.jpg (691x771, 64K)

What's the better solution to this obstructed cpu cooler fan?

1. switch to the back in a pull configuration
2. remove heatsinks from the ram
3. fuck it, blocking ~20% of the fan doesn't really matter

Attached: file.png (1400x1050, 2.62M)

just be able to play some standard games. Nothing too fancy.
I enjoy minecraft, dwarf fortress etc but I'm planning on having it be able to run Code Vein by the time it releases (before 2020).
Doesn't include a monitor.
I'm starting from absolute scratch with no knowledge of PC's.
I've been using work laptops and console forever but decided that I should try and get a home PC.

What resolution do you play at? By "doesn't include a monitor" does that mean you already have one?

Don't have a monitor, nor do I know about resolutions.
I think 1080p is the standard although I've heard people throw around the 1440p meme a bit.

3, because it looks like it might even be pulling air through the memory heatsinks.
You should also be able to shimmy it up a little bit too if it really bothers you, but I really hate those flimsy wire retaining brackets.

1080 is indeed still the "standard" in that most people play on that. 1440p is better, but ups the cost a fair amount. For basic 1080p/60hz gaming you can build a pc + monitor for as little as ~$800, but it won't have the staying power of more expensive builds. Next tier up is around $1000. What's your ideal amount to spend?

got an amd athlon x2 fm2, currently have a gtx 750 1gb for it, but thinking about going all amd for the build. should i just throw a rx 570 in it?

Attached: toaster.jpg_1024.jpg (1280x960, 101K)

about 800 is ideal because my bank is at 1500.
I saw this: pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/#view=zqYr7P
And thought it was pretty much ideal but wanted to confirm with /pcbg/ first because $800 is a lot to blow.
[spoiler]my currency is dollarydoos so it might end up being $1000+ out of my bank[/spoiler]

By dollarydoos do you mean australian? cause if so for $800 you're not getting much I'm afraid. And on a related note, are you sure you can afford to blow more than half your bank account on a pc?

I just got the gtx 1060 6gb, dunno if i can still play decently with an i5 3330

After a few years of working on laptops in college, I've missed having a desktop. This was also my first time putting together a desktop. It's much nicer being able to set up monitor, chair, and keyboard for maximum comfy.

Right now, I have the following:
>R5 2600
>1x8GB of RAM
>B450 Pro4

I want to play around with VMs. Would it be beneficial to get another 8GB stick to bring it up to 16GB?

If I don't blow it on a PC I'll blow it on other things.
And given that I no longer have a work laptop I need to invest in a PC sooner or later.

Anyone got experience with Hitachi Ultrastar 7k3000 drives?

The reviews on Amazon say it's total shit, but Hitachi is supposed to be great.

Unrelated, but will Coffee Lake refreshes work on H310 motherboards, planning to upgrade to an 8700k from an i3 8100.

redpilled

Do you think a GTX1060 6GB plus Ryzen 3600 will get decent frames on a 1080p 144hz monitor?

Or should I stick with my 60hz monitor?

Attached: frodo.jpg (400x399, 93K)

aight. I'm putting together a list. I tried going cheap but not ultra-shit-tier, although there's a lot of room to upgrade. New CPUs are hitting the market 7/7 so I recommend waiting until then.

Go 144Hz. There are plenty of games where you can do >60fps and it's nice.

I was partially wrong anyways, most hardware warriors are underage spics, primarily Brazilians and other south Americans.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/cZxNr6
Goddamn Australian prices suck. Wait till 7/7 if you can, otherwise this build should be ok for a while. It is definitely not the best, or even most optimized, but it's almost 2am in burgerland and I can't be assed to do more in-depth research.

Hi anons,
I'm starting to look for differents parts of my future build. I will most probably buy a b550+ryzen 3700x (depending on benchmarks) when the B550 will be released.

I need several parts and i would like your opinion on that :

>be quiet silent base 801 for the case, is it Good ?
>16go (or 32 ?) DDR4, any recommandations?
>1to ssd and a big HDD ?
>currently have a VS650 Corsair as a PSU. Do i need To upgrade ?

7/7?
Whats this?

New CPUs and GPUs are being released by AMD

Is Vega 64 a reasonable upgrade from a 295x2

Or should I just wait for Navi at this point?

Vega 64 is actually a really good graphics card. Powerful for games AND productivity. Noobs overlook it because it loses out by 2 fps in value comparisons

Trying to decide between getting an 8700k or 2700x, which one?

No limit on budget, I'm retired and have enough money to live on for the rest of my life.

ah so the old prices drop?
I'll probably lurk around Jow Forums for a bit longer and get components on gumtree for cheap while I wait for the new CPUs and GPUs.

I have one I'm happy with it, but I got it for $350 + tax also when it had that great inclusion of DMC5, RE2 remake, and The Division 2. I don't know what the prices are like currently.

Old prices may drop more (they've been dropping), or the new ones are just straight up better for cheaper. Lurk and read up outside of Jow Forums on this stuff to familiarize yourself with it. You've got a month, you can get very familiar with tech and computers in that time

>295x2
How do you even still have that pos? I sold mine 4 years ago because it was a stuttering mess in almost every game I played.

Depends on price. Performance wise Navi should be very similar to a 64. Just wait and see what the prices will be.

>OCd 4670k still matches Ryzen in single threaded
What is the point?
Where did it go wrong?

how much would I be getting bottlenecked by my 2x4gb 1333mhz RAM if I were to upgrade my processor to ryzen 2600 and my mobo to B450?

Attached: file.png (540x411, 18K)

amd has never prioritized single core performance. in a few years we'll likely see lots of 7700k/8700k but no 1700/2700 in use

>Where did it go wrong?

When retards still think single threaded makes jack shit in 2019. Quad cores are the new dual cores.

I have a $250 budget, what's the best upgrade for my i3 8100

rethink your question moron

>should i get a cheap 4 core 4670k or a 2400g for my budget build

no brainer, intel all the way. amd doesn't even include integrated graphics

You can probably find a 2600 + mobo combo for that price

SSD > GPU > CPU in that order
Assuming you have at least 8GB of ram already

if me buy new part will old part make all bad

I have 16GB DDR4 and a 1TB NVME drive.

Wouldn't that be a downgrade from something like a 9400f?

buy a GTX1660. that CPU will do fine with it for 1080p 144hz gaming

Which should I grab from the following?
Any of these would be a 8GB x 2 at 3000MHz or 3200MHz (or would you recommend higher/lower?) with a RTX 2080ti and a I7 8700k

Trident Z (RGB or Non-RGB)
Corsair Dominator
HyperX Predator

I have a 1660ti, actually.

CPU really is my only issue, 4 cores don't cut it nowadays this guy is right
Owning a quad feels like a dual core again.

not really when you factor in security patches killing intel performance

if you plan on keeping it for a long time it will also age better due to threading

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-2600-vs-Intel-Core-i5-9400/3955vsm735306

I saw on a website that the 1070ti uses more power than a 1080, why is this

Is there any way to disable patches, or are they built into the hardware?

you can disable them from registry i think but honestly why the fuck would you put yourself through that shit when the 2600 is the better overall deal

man fuck that. i have a dual core i7 in my laptop and it is still plenty fast for anything except

FUCKING GAMES

because one day we have to realize that the only reason youtubers use games as benchmarks, is because they are a quantifiable field for measuring different hardware. but really....a strong dual core with a nice screen and a nice SSD and 8GB of RAM is a great DD. and a strong hyperthreaded quad core with an SSD and 8-16gb of RAM is perfect for anyone who runs one demanding program at a time

Is a GTX 1080 worth it for $300usd, or is it too old and I should buy a RTX 2060?

I'm gonna get a nice x570 board, some 16gig Corsair 3200 ram, v64, and a 3800x. 7/7 is gonna be great guys.

definitely worth it that's a great deal the 1080 will be a fine card for many years to come