What's the most optimal method to fixing a scratched disc and salvaging the data?

What's the most optimal method to fixing a scratched disc and salvaging the data?

Does toothpaste really work? Is there a better way to polish? If you use toothpaste at all, does that mean sanding is no longer an option?

Attached: d83.jpg (1100x733, 212K)

just wipe it clean and attempt a cd recovery tool
that particular one has some serious perpendicular cuts

Someone told me once I apply toothpaste (which I already have), any type of fix with the tool is killed.

Also OP pic isn't my disc, just something I pulled off startpage.

get it resurfaced from a shop, copy the data, burn a new disc

If you really want what's on the disc find a store that still has disc resurfacing machine. If you know one that still sells music in physical form you might get lucky. All the fixes you find online are bullshit. t.old bastard with decades of trying.

My question is, is that still an option after applying toothpaste? Someone told me:

>not an option...and any real type of fix is killed with toothpaste ... basically any fix is filling gaps / creating fine scratch marks with a cloth so the laser can read the disc and a copy can be made.. but the disk may still end up in the bin..

Also, I don't think there are any stores like that where I live. I can still check around though.

Yeh, just clean it off with some warm water. It'll be ok. Resurfacing will take off the whole top layer anyway.

Ok thanks.

Had the tiniest of scratches on a BD disk and after scrubbing gently multiple times with toothpaste MakeMKV still couldn't read it. It's for sure a meme.

Go to a motorcycle shop and see if they have scratch removers for helmet visors or a plastic polish. Depending on how deep the scratches are, I've had luck sanding the surface with sandpaper for paint prep work (going from 800 to 2000 wet sanding) and then using a high quality polish for polycarbonate. It's very hit or miss: a delicate operation and very time consuming and sometimes the discs frag in the drive simply because of imbalance or the amount of material removed making the disc weak.

Attached: Untitled12.jpg (601x750, 173K)

i always assumed that was bullshit but, seems to be confirmed elsewhere as long as it's whitening toothpaste or brasso
whatever will help realign the coating so the laser can penetrate

Just for what it's worth, this is the disc I'm trying to recover data from.

Attached: disc2.jpg (3255x2542, 1.98M)

If it's a CD try reading it with an LG GCE-8481B.

Attached: GCE-8481B.jpg (1280x1024, 81K)

Burn the disc until it's fucking ash so you won't have a choice but to re-acquire the data from somewhere else.

carefully remove the aluminium foil at the back amd implant it into a new one.

Has anyone here actually managed to fix a DVD before? Not a game, a DVD.

I've set down with my favourite scratched CD and some toothpaste once, watched a movie while polishing. It worked.
And my apartment smelled minty fresh.

did you try a different reader? that doesn't seem bad enough to make it unreadable

I still have my first cd, it's 24 years old and works fine and looks worse than that

Back in the days i recovered a few DVDs and some CDs with toothpaste
Use a smooth cotton flannel some toothpaste and just some droplets of water, jut to let it more malleable
If you have enough patience you can recover it
Just remember to wash thoroughly after

I just rub it on my cat, oils in the fur etc etc.

I've tried like 4 different readers including an external LG one, no luck. I managed to re-encode it after waiting like 2 hours and pic related is a random frame.

90% of the video looks like this, but some parts of it look ok. Before applying toothpaste, I couldn't play it at all, or open it in a re-encoder.

Attached: 774982.jpg (1024x576, 89K)

the stuff they sell at auto stores to buff up car headlights works way better than toothpaste. the brand I've used is Meguiar PlastX. Takes a little time and elbow grease, but it will do the trick. You will probably have to go through a couple iterations of buff and test, though.

does it look more brown-ish than normal? Could be disc bronzing

Format? Make? Age?

>does it look more brown-ish than normal?
Nope, just filled with broken frames like this. I have a bunch of similar discs from the exact same time that don't have any issues; though they were in their case and taken care of.

Sony DVD-RW. These were recorded on in 2006 and have been sitting in a draw for 13 years. Most of the ones I have are like small blue discs, but the one here is colored gold.

Attached: fdg54.jpg (1024x576, 67K)

This.

some used cd stores have a machine that lays on another layer of undercoating, which can smooth out the scratch so the laser beam makes it to the overlayer - usually costs 3 dollars a disc or less

>Sony DVD-RW. These were recorded on in 2006 and have been sitting in a draw for 13 years.
>recordable disc
>13 years
It's probably not the disc surface. The dye layer has decayed.