Why don't you have 16TB of storage, Jow Forums?

seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/hdd/ironwolf/

Why don't you have 16TB of storage, Jow Forums?

Attached: D8PlHD0WkAYtFCE.jpg (1024x512, 107K)

the very biggest drives are less economical in dollars-per-terabyte terms. also you have to buy several drives anyway for redundancy so the top model almost never makes sense.

are these the ones with the two heads?

FUCKING WOLF PACK HOWL AT THE MOON AWOOOO

Just use 3 8TB RAID 5 user

I do - have four 4TB drives laying around (two in my server, two USB3) in an ad-hoc, done-when-I-can-be-bothered-to-run-FreeFileSync RAID1 mirror.

>Seagate
Never again.

Because it's not the size that matters

>seagate
I won't even have enough time to fill the drive with enough data before it dies.

can someone explain the seagate is bad meme ive written a few petabytes to my seagate drive and its still working

I do, but it's spread across a bunch of different HDDs and SSDs

>implying you ever had a seagate and are doing anything other than parroting a stale meme

There was a drive - in the 1TB days, and I recall was about 1.5TB - that had a 10% above normal AFR. Jow Forums, being what it is, pukes constantly that this means all Seagates ever are /dev/null and will eat your children, because Jow Forumsentoomen are dumb.

Attached: 1559679995463.png (499x338, 38K)

Depends on a Seagate. I still have my 15k RPM SCSI drive. It's more than a decade old, and it's still working just fine. I don't keep any important data on it, but still.

the thing most retards here don't realize is that its impossible to identify ahead of time which makes and models of drive will be fine (most of them) and which will have huge failure rates. You can only see that in hindsight after someone like backblaze has had thousands of drives in service for several years. By which time there's a different model which might or might not be good and you can't get the old one anymore.

The right approach to this is to just assume that whatever drives you get might be bad ones, and use backups and redundancy to protect yourself from that. Once you've made that assumption, of course, there's no reason to care about Seagate vs WD or whatever. Actually once you're no longer afraid of drive failures there's no reason to even be scared of used and refurb drives, provided the discount on them is nice.

Attached: 1439710047999.jpg (474x352, 29K)

its a 2tb 7200 rpm from 2016

Because I'm not a degenerate.

For some reason, was deleted. Reposted so makes more sense:
Depends on a drive you are using. From what I heard, of the recent ones are failing pretty often, but older models are pretty reliable.
I myself had a Seagate drive for years, and it never failed on me.

A 16TB RAID 5 is dumb and takes forever to rebuild if it ever finishes. There's a reason we have cluster filesystems now.

>2tb 7200 rpm from 2016
I have one of those too. So far so good.

I had a SATA cable go bad in mine recently. After replacement, it rebuilt in about 9 hours.
This is probably because my server has a 3.7GHz Core i3, though - of course, your shitty little NAS box with an 10 year-old Atom driving it would take an order of magnitude longer.

currently seagate is better than WD
times of the old barracuda 7200s are long over, their drives are actually good right now

No, Mach.2 drives haven't shipped yet, probably next year

2 actuators are mach.2 and they're going to have some smaller TB ones as well.
WD as always is copying seagate and also releasing some with it.

seagate is the industry leader in HDD storage, no other company (except toshiba) has ever innovated anything.