MacOS Catalina

so no threads about MacOS Catalonia? What does that mean?
>/g doesn't care about software anymore
>its unimpressive
>the cheese grater took the show

Attached: macos_catalina_roundup_header.jpg (800x629, 153K)

Other urls found in this thread:

support.apple.com/en-us/HT208050
microsoft.com/en-us/p/quicklook/9nv4bs3l1h4s
youtube.com/watch?v=vV46_fXwE9I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

> Catalonia
Guess it’ll be banned in Spain.

I admire only Microsoft®, Windows® based operating systems and consider Apple users my enemies

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 118K)

This was not even remotely impressive. What you should be discussing is how Android tablets no longer have a future with iPadOS and iPad pro as their competitors.

>/g doesn't care about software anymore
yep
all gaymer faggots now

What you want to know? It wil be based on based Swift 5.1, and SwiftUI, will be accelerated by GPUs, will use less memory and run faster than any OS prior to it

this will be a product of principle-guided, research-based applied computer science, but you fucking nodejs webdevs have no idea what it is and why it is capable of producing things like macOS

yes, yes, Microsoft® is for those who have exercised a wrong muscle

> Catalonia
> Catalina
Try again, slowly.

>its unimpressive
>the cheese grater took the show
Kinda both. As someone who doesn't care about Marzipan or however they call it now, why would I even bother downloading it?

Pretty underwhelmed by iOS 13 too but at least the dark mode is a nice to have thing.

Only iPad OS is seriously moving anywhere and seriously makes me consider to make the jump once there is a decent keyboard with trackpad available. Though Jesus, the name sounds stupid.

Kek.

What you want to know? It wil be based on based Swift 5.1, and SwiftUI, will be accelerated by GPUs, will use less memory and run faster than any OS prior to it
Now this actually sounds interesting. Any experiences with the dev beta?

support.apple.com/en-us/HT208050
>zsh is now the default shell
about time

Based

wrote that on purpose, check the title..
>What you want to know? It wil be based on based Swift 5.1, and SwiftUI, will be accelerated by GPUs, will use less memory and run faster than any OS prior to it
lets hope its true, I have nothing agains progress and competition

Is it stable yet, or should one wait for DP3 or 4 before trying it?

Okay, boys, let's talk software.

>sending out Bluetooth signals that can be detected by Apple devices in use nearby. These devices then relay the detected location of your Mac to iCloud so you can locate it in the Find My app.

>It’s all anonymous and end-to-end encrypted so no one, including Apple, knows the identity of any reporting device. And because the reporting happens silently using tiny bits of data that piggyback on existing network traffic, there’s no need to worry about your battery life, your data usage, or your privacy.

Am I being a total brainlet or does this really sound fishy? Wouldn't Apple have the means to identify reporting devices? How can something like that work without affecting my battery life? The fact that they can pinpoint hardware without the users input sounds pretty damn scary yo.

it's opt in (but everybody will probably use it to prevent Tyrone from stealing their stuff)

Opt in for the people transmitting the data too?

if it is encrypted then they can't know. if it is a UDP one way packet then all any device in the network would or could know is it received a packet from the device next to it (which could have originated from anywhere) and that it needs to pass it on until it gets to apple.com

the only time the contents could be read (contents being GPS coords, and device ID) is on the apple server

and only when viewed by the icloud user

macos is literally adware os, the whole ecosystem is built toward milking money.

i bet you run windows 10

Attached: image.jpg (750x900, 642K)

>the whole ecosystem is built toward milking money
By providing users with tons of great functionally out of the box?

yes and i have a mac with mojave, i'm not a child that identifies with products

like what? you get a few basic linux level shit programs for a whooping price, everything else is in the (((store)))

my point is windows 10 can't even edit pdf's out of the box. can you even open pdf's out of the box?

How about Garageband and iMovies and their weird office suit that doesn't play around well with others but is otherwise damn nice in an Apple ecosystem. The Notes and together with continuity is something very simple yet unavailable anywhere else without subpar 3rd party shit.

All they did was remove itunes and fix up the sdk a bit.

it opens in every browser out of the box for years

>browse files
>want to see pdf
>have to open it in browser
And this is why Windows workflow is cancer.

macOS Patagonia

that makes no sense, you double click the file and it opens in whatever viewer you selected. on clean system it's a browser, but there's like a gazillion of free pdf viewers/editors if you prefer that

>i'm a literal idiot, the post

Is this true?

>downloading from 3rd party websites risking your security
>downloading from a curated app store where if something nefarious is reported and proven to have taken place then the company (apple) will take action against the company on your behalf

You can view pdfs (and basically most filetypes like Word documents) in Finder without double clicking shit. Nor do you have to waste time finding and installing some 3rd party viewer/editor unless you're some office drone who needs Adobes shit.

this

i had a situation where I had to email some photos but all I had were .NEF versions, and I didn't want to have to google around to see what programs could do it

so just on a whim I opened them in preview - all i had to do was export>jpg>slightly below best quality. took no time at all. and if i needed to do this a lot, they have a native application that literally can automate that process for me

>project catalyst is just the iphone version with the burger menu slapped on the side
wow, now that's TRUE innovation! Glad to see desktop programs are about to officially die to cater to phonelets

Attached: image.jpg (502x839, 253K)

Some chink made a Windows version of Preview that actually is really good, check it out boys

microsoft.com/en-us/p/quicklook/9nv4bs3l1h4s

I'm reading that Catalina (kek, its a girl name) will now have a separate system drive with read only access.
Was this the requirements of Unices that run in US defense computers right? OS with the system root protected?
You mean windows 10

> Unices

How do write Unix in plural then?

Back to your contianment board.

Attached: 1539835942395.png (400x1650, 367K)

Didn't chinks made Clover too? MS should clearly hire more chinks.

It's the name of Carls cray gf in GTA SA who caused the plot of GTA III. Still better than High Capitan.

/thread

have a bump on the house, gentlemen.

I would give a shit if it had good support for opengl or vulkan.

>.35 cents have been deposited into your shill account

have sex

what about catalina user?

Attached: catalina.jpg (460x575, 35K)

It really isn't impressive. And it follows after Mojave whose two most "impressive" features were dark mode and dynamic wallpapers.
Which followed High Sierra, which... hmmm. Iunno. APFS I guess.
Which followed Sierra, which changed... uhh....
Which followed Le Capitan, which gave... system integrity protection, I guess, which is a super annoying feature any power user will eventually have to disable.
Which followed Yosemite, which was notorious for ruining the OS' design.

Good god, macOS hasn't made any significant progress in these last few releases.

>ruining the OS' design.
Fixing it you mean. Also somewhere down the line they added tabs to Finder, Continuity, improved Notes massively and uhh ... made iTunes a bit prettier. Performance and battery life improved during Le Capitan and then in HS too.

>any significant progress
Seamless change of the filesystem across the board alone is significant as fuck.

Wasn't Catalina supposed to kill 32bit shit?

>Wasn't Catalina supposed to kill 32bit shit?
Considering how often I currently see the "this random app you didn't even directly launch is not optimized for you mac" message, I think most developers will not be able to update so quickly.

does this os come with an exclusive invitation to a wine mixer?

well, the wallpaper looks good

Apparently they still went ahead and did it. THE ABSOLUTE MADMEN.

The new privacy stuff seems nice. And screen time on Mac will be, interesting I guess.

youtube.com/watch?v=vV46_fXwE9I
Shitty intro music warning.

I remember shortly after El Capitan came out I got into this hackintosh thing. It was a bit weird but I was able to get into it and I kinda liked a few little details in the system enough that I went and bought a fucking magic trackpad for the gestures. It was neat I guess. I had it for about a year in between releases of El Capitan and Sierra. I remember that it took a bit for Sierra to get "stable" but it did.

Then I would do something like switching between OSes but still using Sierra and a bit of High Sierra. It took longer, I think until 10.13.3 for it to get usable. No changes of relevance and some of the software I loved either had to be updated or just didn't work anymore. A bit of a bummer for options that I didn't use like Siri. Then stopped using it, mostly using other OSes (linux distros and Windows) and tried to go back a few times with Mojave, the dark theme is something I always wanted but not even that could drag me in anymore. And it was even less... stable? Same thing happened with some software. This had nothing to do with hackintosh, mind you. In fact I was surprised to find Mojave to run so great still on my hardware.

So I guess since this is on beta and it takes a few "final" releases for it to get better, it's normal that people aren't talking about it much except for the fact that it's even taking more shit away. I'm going to ask honestly, what is the point of this OS in particular? Like, it looks nice for sure. It has a few tricks and such, but nothing that is worth doing that you can't do on something like Windows. Font rendering isn't even that good unless you're using a hiDPI screen (which I get it, they're selling that kind of hardware). It has less software support day by day, with its own unique snowflake graphics API. It feels stale and they're really only adding shit that's more suitable for their mobile devices. Nobody really needs FCPX anymore either, I don't know. I can't find a reason to go back really.

It's the fucking Catalina OS

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 87K)

>what is the point of this OS in particular?

What would be the point of Windows are an OS?

Who actually cares or uses macos other than fags

>I went and bought a fucking magic trackpad for the gestures
Aww shit, are you that undecided guy who wanted to buy it for hackintosh and asked around on Jow Forums a few years ago?

And yeah, Sierra and even HS were relatively unstable even on legit hardware.

>this will be a product of principle-guided, research-based applied computer science
spoken like a true shill

I remember asking around so maybe. It worked quite well, not gonna lie. For 40 bucks it was pretty solid, just unfortunate it doesn't work as well with anything else but macOS.

It has a wider range of software support, simple as that.

>wrote that on purpose,
not him, but why? what do those words mean?

you don't know what Catalonia is? So you only know about countries you invade? Like Syria, Iraq, etc..

Attached: Screenshot 2019-06-05 at 20.16.34.png (702x308, 359K)

>So you only know about countries you invade?
i don't think new zealand has invaded anyone

well, then your geography teachers are top tier. Even mentally handicapped people should know about Barcelona and Catalonia.

i've heard the name barcelona before
i left school 14 years ago, sue me

And you never read any news?

not really, no

desu I wanted MacOS Galicia or Britannia.

Attached: 1375258978277.jpg (434x567, 44K)