What's the most powerful homemade computer someone could theoretically make given only access to the tools and...

What's the most powerful homemade computer someone could theoretically make given only access to the tools and equipment found in a Home Depot?

Attached: Wirewrap-Z80.jpg (2048x1536, 666K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PdcKwOo7dmM
habr.com/ru/post/442732/
youtube.com/watch?v=LGkkyKZVzug
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bumping for interest, why don't we have a homebrew circuits thread?

Attached: BIG-stallman.jpg (1024x1347, 602K)

>theoretically
As powerful as a top specced quad CPU server.

Look into MOnSter 6502

If you can make it the size of dyson sphere.

Don't think you can buy those kind of PCBs at home depot. you'd have to either make one yourself or use something else

>PCBs
I thought it was on a bog-standard (though huge) breadboard - part of the charm.

bump

>Home Depot
an amd ryzen.
youtube.com/watch?v=PdcKwOo7dmM

because Jow Forums is a bunch of consumerist fa/g/Jow Forumsots.
when I need pcb or electronics advice, I go to

Theoretically you could salvage a computer in Home Depot's garbage bin and make your own computer in Minecraft

habr.com/ru/post/442732/ this relay computer is suitable as an example, i think.
PCBs is not big deal, needs a little chemistry and copper coated textolite that no matter purchased in the store or hand-covered by yourself. Honestly, for home made PC even wooden board with nails is enough for being used as circuit board. Relays and transes can be rolled up, resistors and caps can be made by hands as well. Main trouble is IC's, it's difficult even for plain diodes to be made by the human himself.

Attached: photo_2019-06-05_14-46-41.jpg (1280x720, 68K)

Just gather 100 million friends and bootstrap yourself from hand tools to semiconductors senpai.

Attached: 545154654542564.jpg (900x962, 518K)

There's plenty of stuff at such stores to begin fabricating your own specialized tools. You'll need to use those tools to fabricate more tools. After a few generations of tool making you'll have the tools needed to harvest resources from other materials in the store to fabricate PCB components. You will then by able to make computers very much similar to the top of the line computers in the modern age. Otherwise, if you only buy a few tools and parts from the store and never make even a second generation tool or refined part then you'll be left with a gargantuan spaghetti monster, that drains your brain power whenever you look at it for more then 30 seconds, and it will only be a 16-bit ALU at best.

Attached: 8-bit.jpg (1024x768, 221K)

It's like minecraft, but in real life!

Because that is what is for.

And less autistic it seems,
youtube.com/watch?v=LGkkyKZVzug

>Minecraft alpha
>no creative mode
this guy had some balls

Alright, sit down young zoomer.
Back before any of this "creative mode" nonsense that you kids love to use existed, we had invedit, and we had flymod. Ah yes, *sip* now those were the days. I bet you young whippersnappers wouldn't even know what a minecart booster was if it hit you in the face.

who do you think you are talking to, faggot

y'all fags think more transistors mean more power, where the small distances between them is what lets me shitpost quickly

The ultimate hard limit will be imposed by latency simply due to the distance between the discrete components. Memory comes second due to sheer volume of transistors needed, but that is related to latency too. It is also possible there could be problems with clocks.

But I suspect that with some time and effort you could whip out some serious processing power that could allow some (naturally) custom written games and basic software to work.

>ic's
pathetic

Attached: boards are for niggers.jpg (2048x1152, 138K)

I think I can make it more compact.
SOT23 SMD trannies and various SMD resistors

i could have but adding wires to everything would be a fucking pain in the ass
i used tht for a reason

Your dead bug is all legs, sempai.

Attached: dead-bug.jpg (401x260, 16K)

what do you mean
i aint gonna snip all the wires off just to attach new ones
and while i agree it couls be made smaller its still pretty compact

this randomly happened in space

I'm one of those people who would shorten each leg to the smallest possible combination without soldering extra leads. although, if you really want to get jiggy with it, dip it in some plasti-dip tool dip wait for it to dry then crush the entire thing into the desired shape with your bare hands until it is nice and compact.

well i've tried to do that
thing is i made the xor's and the other simpler circuits fairly compact but when you glue em together you get a bunch of empty space
heres a ripple counter

i wouldnt think i'd post this on g of all places

Attached: brought to you by lgbtbbq.jpg (2048x1152, 244K)

Specifically on /ohm/ here: You also have my respect for that dead bug style.