If its possible for sites like twitch.tv to embed ads directly into the video stream to avoid adblock

If its possible for sites like twitch.tv to embed ads directly into the video stream to avoid adblock
why dont other sites such as youtube do the same thing?

Attached: avtr.png (248x203, 59K)

because ads on youtube need to change over time so they cant just be part of the video

you know they are probably working on it. you have to keep in mind at what scale they operate though they can't do shit like that overnight.

those yellow bars are ads,

Attached: file.png (588x294, 180K)

Sort of.
The only way possible is to put them in during the video, so say, split the video a 5 minutes, insert 3 minute advert but also make it so you cannot skip forward which is possible but it would limit the video player immensely.

This would also just mean you'd just mute it and go to anothe tab while it plays

well im not talking about actually embedding the ad into the video (even though my wording kind of suggest that, sorry)
i mean, they can just send the ad before the original video in the video stream and that way, even if you "block" it you'll just see a blank screen for however long the ad is.

>adblock detects a change in the video stream
>interupt
>pauses stream until ad over
>ads over
>play stream

>pauses stream until ad over
but it makes no sense to pause it because people would rather look at an add than a blank screen or paused video.

I mean as i said twitch is already doing this and AFAIK noone is able to circumvent it

im just wondering why youtube dont do it also

>This would also just mean you'd just mute it and go to anothe tab while it plays
not true, they can just do like facebook and pause if you don't focus that tab

Oh yeah, you just open it in a new window so it's the only tab in the window and it's "active" - I do it al lthe time for streams requiring a countdown and having to wait on the page

ADGUARD DNS

ADGUARD DNS

ADGUARD DNS

WHY ARE YOU SO FUCKING DUMB

>I mean as i said twitch is already doing this and AFAIK noone is able to circumvent it
not true, just using ublock origin and looking at twitch a lot, not seeing any ads... It depends if the ads are for non-subscribers or everyone (in that case it's impossible to circumvent)

I'd rather watch nothing than a fucking AD for something I don't want

it depends, IIRC facebook wants you to have the tab active, which means even if you click out on another application that will pause the video

Try it.
Open your facebook page in a new window.
then alt-tab to the other window, sound still runs, etc

how would that work?
the ad would be coming from the same server as the video, so?

you're replying to a literal marketer who didn't even read the OP post

>literal marketer
Here comes the room temperature IQ owner...

This is a factually incorrect statement. I don't like being advertised at; everywhere I turn I'm being advertised at to throw money at something. I don't want to see more of it, I rather it be a silent black screen and check something else while I wait for the stream to start playing again.

Stop seething and go shill in some other thread. You've embarrassed yourself quite enough in this one.

well okay thats your opinion, regardless it might incentivize other people (who dont want to be staring at a blank screen for 30 secs) to turn their adblockers off and just watch the ad instead so its still a win for youtube if they did it

If you do it on normal YouTube videos then you can just skip the ads
There's no way to inject the ad info the video steam while allowing the end user to skip through the video as well.
It only works on twitch because it's live this there really isn't anything to skip to

ah but if they just track the time when you first requested the video then they can hold back on sending the real video stream until the duration of the ad has passed, couldnt they?

>why dont other sites such as youtube do the same thing?
just fucking wait.

Yes, but they're not part of the video stream. Same as pre-roll ads, which are technically separate YouTube videos.

I doubt that is possible because you cant just chop up compressed video stream and insert your own thing like that.

I feel like there is little substance to your point, and it lacks insight to actual psychology. The only people it might appeal to for the majority of the population, I imagine - other than the crazy fucks who think it's only right to watch the ads since the platform is doing them a favor in their minds - are the people who would want to let the ad play to support whoever they're watching.

Or can you?

>there is little substance to your point
i think tis pretty simple. 2 options:
1) watch a blank screen for 30 secs
2) watch something that isn't a blank screen

And yes i think a few people will prefer to watch the blank screen but the majority of people will definitely jsut say fuck it and watch the ad if they really have no other options.

For instance ever since twitch started doing this, ive been watching the ads they play because what the fuck else am i supposed to do. And the ads are so short (10-30 seconds) that i doesn't even make sense to open a new window and do something else in the mean time

i mean why not? the ad doesn't have to be part of the actual compressed video.
Its essentially just 2 videos that play one after the other and they only start sending the video stream of the second video once enough time has passed (the duration of the ad)

embedded ads have no analytics, a core foundation of google's ad business is to offer analytics along with their ads, twitch gets away with it because livestreams are done once to a live audience so it's easy for advertisers to see that their advert was streamed at to an audience of , think of it like a youtube channel taking a sponsorship deal - it's easy for the sponsored company to go watch the video and see that it hit an audience of 100k views or whatever, it also has parallels to live television, such information would be much more obscure to companies on youtube especially if youtube start offering different ads for different audiences on the same video
it's only impossible to circumvent embedded ads on livestreams because.. well.. they're livestreams, you can't just skip 30 seconds into the future to avoid the ad, if youtube were to start embedding ads into videos there are a number of methods you could use to circumvent the ad and skip right over it

embedded ads are the future and youtubers are already taking a ton of sponsorships or product placement deals that you can't just skip over, but youtube's business model doesn't lend itself well to embedding ads arbitrarily

>if youtube were to start embedding ads into videos there are a number of methods you could use to circumvent the ad and skip right over it

but as i said in cant they just make it so that whenever you click a video, they send the ads video stream right away but they wait 30 seconds before sending the real video stream.
That way even if you choose to ignore the ads video stream you still have to wait 30 seconds before they send you the real video

and you cant just skip over it because, well, they haven't send you any video to skip to yet

they could do a lot of annoying stuff like that yeah, but chances are it's not going to work 100% of the time every time and it'll drive users away from watching youtube videos when for the 4th time in 20 minutes a video refuses to load because an ad isn't loading properly
google have to optimise for both adverts seen/clicked through but also watch time, no single advert is worth forcing the user through if it means they miss out on a dozen other adverts because they called it a day and went to do something else

So you admit that the actual psychology behind the hyper-aversion to ads doesn't go into your reasoning. You'd make for a very standard marketer.

Embedding and encoding take a shit load of time, energy, and machine resources. Multiply that by the amounts of videos uploaded every hour to something like Youtube and you get a cost margin that makes any advertising revenue go into the red pretty quickly. It would be fine if there were only one set of ads to add to the video, but ads need to be changed all the time. Which would be like reuploading a new video every time the ads need changed across the entire database of videos or whatever the variables for that would be in order to save some money.

wtf are you on about lmao
im getting some serious redditnigger vibes from u

Yes, they literally tested this in North America a month or two ago and adblockers got btfo, since the ads were encoded directly into the video stream.

Attached: 1559690948148.png (600x300, 30K)

>image

Attached: 1535702226747.jpg (888x888, 121K)

they absolutely CAN do this (and they are probably working on it as we speak)
anyone saying they cant dont know what they are talking about

Okay but consider a real YouTube video as they are currently distributed.
You can skip to any part of the video at any time, even over ads. It's just that once the ad starts it can't be skipped anymore. If you inject advertisements into the video steam then YouTube has to close between letting you move freely in a videos timeline or forcing you to watch those ads.
And in response to what you said exactly, that would basically never get through because YouTube steam load way in advance. With what you said the steam would be forced to stop loading at every ad which would cause traffic/latency problems for both YouTube and the end user.

Still curious of this entire thread is shitposting collectively about adverts on the Internet...

When did Adblock get rid of the "show all requests" menu option?

Watch twitch with mpv. No ads.

you get ads on twitch with mpv+youtube-dl. pic related.

Attached: 1234.jpg (1920x1080, 371K)

that is just a matter of switching the stream to point to a different video then switch back.
Me and you could write it in C even, desu.

Ok. I've never gotten.