SnapBoi

What do you bois think of snap packages?

Attached: 1508176898_snappy_orange-348x246.png (348x246, 34K)

why are people even using ubuntu?

just werks and isn't a beta testing platform for Red Hat

fpbp
cringe

>beta testing platform for Red Hat
For Mint Enterprise Edition

niggerlicious shit thats never updated and wastes 2^32-1 megabytes worth of data.

cancer

solves non-existing problem

answer to docker useless hype

Wasteful. Apt was better.

A fun experiment on Ubuntu:
apt install chromium-browser
snap install chromium
See which loads and runs faster, chromium or chromium-browser

see which one is the most outdated by far and installs 65535 versions of libraries that are preinstalled with the OS just because Kevin, snap package maintainer is too busy masturbating to anime with his glass coca cola bottle.(not that i'm saying anime is less important than maintaining shit like snap packages that nobody should care about)

>What do you bois think of snap packages?
I don't

I prefer AppImage

Exactly. The apt version is faster too. It loads system libraries that are likely to be in cache already.

Why are they do large in file size?

>boi
Pure fucking cancer. off yourself, zoomer cunt.

Attached: image.jpg (714x800, 182K)

Newfag

Useful to install acestreamer easily, that's about it.

>t. boomer soiboi

It's ok.
They need to solve the theming problems tho.
I've yet to see a valid complaint about snaps on Jow Forums. People just dislike it because it's made by Canonical.

Imagine inventing .exe in 2018+1

Linux desktop is truely a meme

Just works. Performance issues are non-existent if you own a mid to decent laptop (XPS and the likes).

See above, turbofag

>i love go and rust, cat-v says dynamic linking is harmful!
>omg why isn't snap using my system libraries, these monolithic programs are slow!

trash

checked.

I compared the Snaps and Flatpaks of some applications I use and noticed that not only are there way more Snaps, they are also better maintained. Additionally, Flatpaks can't even be used for system applications yet. I didn't want to see Snap win but it looks like the race is over.

Enjoy your shitty performance, forced updates, and ridiculous download sizes

I've never understood the point of snap packages, only lazy fags use them.

Looks like a promising technology for distributing applications on Snappy core IoT devices, which is it's main purpose.
Not really useful on desktop and forced updates are annoying.

Werks on my machine.

It's very useful on desktops. For example, Anki doesn't even run on the latest Ubuntu anymore because it requires libraries that no longer exist in the repos. The Snap version contains the libraries. Also, you can turn off autoupdates by disabling the snapd service. One command to stop snapd from running and one to stop it from starting on boot.

You can get Anki as flatpak as well.
And disabling snapd service is more of a crude workaround than a proper solution. Do you have to start the service again every time you want to run your application and wait for the update to finish?

I would rather have flatpak as the future container for Linux software but I don't think that's going to happen. I haven't tested the workaround myself so I can't say if it works as you're suggesting.

What software is there as a snap that is not available as a flatpak? I only use Calibre and Minitube flatpaks, you can't get neither of them as a snap.

This. Appimages seem a little harder to come by, but they just work.

The only one I can think of on the top of my head is Chromium. This won't be a flatpak for a long time because it uses its own sandboxing method that is incompatible with flatpaks. Also, in theory, there should be a lot more command line snaps with no flatpak equivalent because sandboxing is mandatory in flatpaks.

It's a neat format for portability. That's literally it.

And what is the advantage of using chromium as a snap rather than using the native version from repositories?

app images are a million times better. no fucking round in cli, no specific package manager to use, just a single executable with 0 bullshit

Distros will eventually adopt a read only root filesystem. Fedora already made development with SilverBlue. Ubuntu has plans too. Using containers for applications such as Chromium that update every other day will be mandatory for read only root filesystems in the future. Look up OSTree in Fedora and you will learn why.

In case of SilverBlue (which is an amazing project) it does make sense, true. I just presumed we are talking about classic distros.

Every single application carrying all it's outdated, bug-ridden dependencies with it? Come on, we can do better.

It's the only one that works with my air mouse

Attached: fly-air-mouse.jpg (998x542, 80K)

Trips Of Truth

Attached: 1532654631625.png (239x229, 53K)

It's fucking retarded. Just go back to windows.

Except they're not portable at all

Terry Davis used ubuntu(with Unity) when he was alive tho