Is there an OS that kinda just, works with anything...

Is there an OS that kinda just, works with anything? Like lets say I built a beyond shitty PC from barely working junk parts, what OS could I get running on there? Im sure its probably something CLI.

Are there any modern OSes that will run on basically anything?

Attached: linuxnigga.png (225x225, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't know.

GNU/Linux

Of course there is.
openbsd.org/
The goal of OpenBSD is to be a standard version of unix that can run on pretty much everything. As long as the processor architecture is known, you can recompile the code and then load it onto the machine.

>it can run on anything
Why does FreeBSD have much more modern hardware support?
>As long as the processor architecture is known, you can recompile the code and then load it onto the machine.

Literally any Linux distro can do this.
It's call bootstrapping multiarch.

You serious user?

Lubuntu 18.04 is available for i386. I know someone who still runs it on an old P4 with 2go of RAM. My gf runs it on her little Acer AOD257, Intel Atom 2go RAM it's not fast but it works. I run the 64 bit version on my office PC, Athlon II 4go RAM, works just fine.

/thread

Minix

/thread

I thought the goal of OpenBSD is eliminating the GPL

Is there a "official" version of (GNU/)Linux? Like a non-distro one that just comes with the default stuff.

FreeDOS

Slackware

Chief i'm talking like, emergency flash drive, no other system kinda backup OS. Ain't no mfing code recompiling is gunna be done, assuming im even smart enough to know how to do that in the first place.

--->

perfecto, idk how I forgot about freedos, i literally have a copy of it on a flash drive already

No.

OP asked if there existed an OS, not a comprehensive list of all OS's. I agree that Linux can also mostly do what OpenBSD does. FreeBSD is also good, the target is stability over portability though

Maybe. I know there are multiple BSDs with varying software licenses. FreeBSD has a really simple one that I like. I use the same license on my own code.

I don't think it's possible to write a program that will run on every computer out there without recompiling. I'm pretty sure no compiled ARM code will run natively AMD64 chip, for instance.

Dont listen to these autists user use damn small linux it just works and is super lightweight

It unironically is. Theo glows in the dark, whether BSDfags want to admit it or not
>muh security
The moment you install any third party software, all the claims about x exploits in y time become a lot less relevant.

Guix, it's now pretty much the de facto official distribution of the GNU operating system.

>"de facto" and also "official"
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I will tell you that if something is official then calling it "de facto" is redundant.

Yes: fortiplikum 2000 runs everything.

Puppy Linux will run from anything, from a 25 year old IBM Aptiva to a state of the art gaymer-built PC.

Depends on just how shitty the machine is, and what sort of CPU, RAM, storage and I/O it has. Q4OS works on any x86 machine with a Pentium 3, 128MB RAM, and 3GB storage. So basically any late 90s/early 2000s shitbox. If you only have a floppy drive or something gay like that, then your best bet is FreeDOS or just MS-DOS.

Ubuntu