What's the worst linux distro you've used, Jow Forums?

What's the worst linux distro you've used, Jow Forums?

Attached: 1554467275424.gif (256x256, 352K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linux.slashdot.org/story/18/12/20/1753257/debians-anti-harassment-team-is-removing-a-package-over-its-name
meta.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cunningham's_Law
github.com/MatMoul/archfi
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

linux mint

Any Ubuntu that wasn't 16.04.

Any

Kail Linux

Arch.
I can't imagine anybody uses it unironically unless you're diagnosed autistic

Mint

Lubuntu

Shit crashed a lot and almost a half of the stuff included didn't work properly or at all.

Now I'm using Manjaro and im a happy camper

Debian, because the installer looks dumb.

Any Ubuntu with Unity, Gnome 2 was comfy af tho.

Fedora

Slackware. Granted, that was about 10 years ago when I had no idea about how to linux. But looking back it was bloated as shit. I think you had like 5 DEs installed by default.

all of them

Ubuntu, Though in fairness I've only ever used Ubuntu and Puppy Linux.

in terms of stability, it was Fedora KDE. No idea why, it crashed constantly and no other distro did that
in terms of ease of use probably Puppy. Not that I couldn't work it but it seems like they had a dumb alternative program for everything and it insisted on stupid design decisions

Gentoo

gentoo
arch
debian

Arch.

Arch

fedora
it just didnt werk

Slackware is more minimal than a lot of minimal distros. No way was it bloated

what makes it so bad?

the original eeepc-modified version of xandros

opensuse

Zorin OS

ZorinOS (heavy and broken, haven't used it in 2 years)
Ubuntu Unity/GNOME (3x as difficult to run as all other official ubuntu spins combined)
Ubuntu MATE (total OS freeze when opening local folder through firefox, tearing, haven't used it in 2 years)

Hanna Montana

*buntus are the least stable distros I've used - noticeably less reliable than either Debian or Mint.
Elementary just rubbed me the wrong way. Might work better for Macfags, I guess.

ALTLinux.
> RHEL-based
> Uses dpkg as its package manager
> Base repos exist but good luck finding anything extra
I needed ffmpeg, ended up using static builds. Basically, any EOL Linux is terrible, there's no software except archived base repos.

Nothing, he is baiting for replies. Arch is a very solid and easy to use distro for people somewhat familiar with the command line. The "Arch is an unstable distro" meme comes from when it was ripping out the old init system and moving to systemd. Doing this on a live system caused shitloads of breakage because SURPRISE removing an init system that is currently in use is hard as fuck. Linux on the desktop has become surprisingly stable lately across the board and Arch is more stable than most because it doesn't fuck around patching shit like other distros.

I use it unironically and I probably lift more than you do as well.

Ubuntu 18.04 (Poobrown bootleg Theme GNOME Leaking Memory & Session Crash within an Hour Edition)
KDE Neon (Window Manager Crashes Every 10 Minutes & UI is Poorly Designed by Blind People Edition)

Attached: 17-d.jpg (569x677, 125K)

lifting your own fat doesnt count

i think you goofed it up user, you can choose what DEs you want installed during the install.

Ubuntu and Debian (the pure-sjw driven distribution)

linux.slashdot.org/story/18/12/20/1753257/debians-anti-harassment-team-is-removing-a-package-over-its-name

Arch Linux and Gentoo

>very solid
Packages will break and lose support because no one develops for Arch they develop for ubuntu then port
This is why you shouldn't use Arch it has shit support
No mainstream development is done for Arch
This is what people mean when they say it isn't stable
Why anyone would take the time to command line install instead of using a GUI based install is beyond me

Android

Every distro is shit. Ganoo+looney tunes is literal tech meme

Manjaro, the fact this is unironically becoming the go to normie distro right now is... worrying, it's a broken Arch reskin that doesn't even benefit from you being able to build the system yourself. I can't wait for all the dumb Linux gamers flocking to this dressed up pig flocking to the Arch/Manjaro forums asking why their games aren't performing like they do on Windows.

MX Linux. It would always freeze nonstop.

Best: ubuntu
Worst: fedora

Windows 10

What are your numbers bro

best: Slackware
worst: anything with apt

What's wrong with apt? It's the exact same as any other package manager. Or are you just regurgitating what Jow Forums says is bad?

fedora (including rhel in work)
and dont start me on the uneducated czech support that tells me less than their kb articles (their kb is the only good thing about whole redhat)
fuck that gigantic pile of shit, i cannot comprehend how are they still profitable

>port
But Arch and Ubuntu aren't different operating systems.

Fedora is fucking shit. Arch FTW.

Torvald's Linux. It's full of proprietary garbage.

Sure you do, sweaty Arch user

elementary, fedora, mint, solus

fpwp

They use different package managers hence why certain programs are exclusive to specific systems

I have only used 3 distros on my computer (excluding alot of vm stuff): Arch, Manjaro and Mint. The worst is Manjaro Cinnamon, but it was still good.

Damn you're stupid

Great refutation how about you explain why instead of resorting to ad hominems, faggot

Package managers mean nothing.
If you want proof just look at any appimage, they'll run on any modern linux distribution because they're packed with all the libraries needed to run.
Nothing is exclusive because it's packaged in some way, they can just be unpacked and repacked for another distribution or built from source.

dude, you really need to do more research before go explaining this stuff to people
>no one develops for Arch they develop for ubuntu
no, they're not different systems in this regard
when writing software, you're writing them 'for' linux and the libraries you're using, both of which can be the same between distros
>This is what people mean when they say it isn't stable
no, it's not
>Why anyone would take the time to command line install instead of using a GUI based install is beyond me
not sure how this relates to software development or stability
if you're referring to installing arch initially, what's the problem? it's not difficult, and you only need to do it once
it amazes me how much people complain about spending an extra 10 minutes to get the system installed, compared to the years you'll be using the system

Thanks

meta.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cunningham's_Law

I would say Slackware but I was just to retarded to setup my wireless connection. I really wanted to use it. But in general I think they are all fine. I just prefere the "original" ones like Debian, Arch, Fedora because I don't see any reason for using forks.

Debian, Ubuntu and everything Ubuntu based apart from Xubuntu.

Antergos. The installer was never able to finish without an error my computers. Every other distro just werked.

T2 Linux.

I'm willing to give Arch a try now I've been using Antergos for a while, but damn getting this crap installed was already a pain, can only imagine the trouble I'm going to have installing Arch. I'm considering Debian as well but am obviously learning towards Arch because Antergos is Arch-based

Lifting doesn't make you less autistic.

Ubuntu or Fedora.

Elementary

Worst: Anarchy, only because the installer fails nearly every damn time from one package failing to download, but not before waiting to download all the other packages that didn't fail first.
Best: Unironically Gentoo.
I got tired of endlessly ricing and configuring and tinkering though, so I just use Ubuntu now. Gnome is pretty good now with 3.32, no more ugly animation lags and crashes, and it just werks. Good font rendering, good sound quality ... etc.
Only problem I've had is with Snap applications, in that 90% of the ones I've installed just outright don't fucking work, but whatever.

just boot the archiso download and run an install script if you don't know what you're doing. it'll hold your hand through everything
github.com/MatMoul/archfi

will give it a try, thanks!

slackware, fedora, maybe opensuse i don't remember

Worst: Popcorn
Best: Debian

try to run the soulseekqt appimage then report back

why fuck with appimage bullshit instead of building from source?

the aur package is broken

that's why you build from source, it has nothing to do with aur or any distro, you get source run make and make install. whew that was so hard

Fedora, breaks more than anything

i can't, my brother stole my programming hat

Debian and Kubuntu

user next time do chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.networkmanager
then you can connect from whatever your DE supplies (or configure wpa_supplicant.conf)

Debian

It's package manager is a massive PITA and is always broken or extremely outdated. On top of that the default install doesn't even have the sudo command. I want to install and start programming immediately. (Also fuck the people who think you should compile every one of your programs, binaries are just fine fore regular every day usage)

I started with 14.04, it had way more stable programming packages, and it played minecraft and portal really fast (my benchmark for highschool me at the time).

I installed 16.04 and then fucking everything broke, I couldn't even install the tools correctly to compile openCV.

I like Arch for it's package manager, when I am programming I really like being able to download libraries and getting the newest versions. Debian based distros are often very far behind, so I have to compile and that wastes time.

Alpine
Gentoo
Arch

SystemDachau.

Attached: 1550494061048.jpg (1100x826, 74K)

Is the build on their site an AppImg? It's running fine here.

Honestly what is there even to grade a distro on now? When you strip away the desktop and just use the minimal install, all distro's seem to act the same to a regular person, with the only difference being how easy it was to setup a program of their choice, usually with a package manager.

Maybe there is more if you are using embedded and you are working very low level and the distro gets in the way, but how do we choose a distro?

The package management is really all a distribution is. It's the very reason why it's called a distribution, as it distributes binaries (or build scripts, if it's source based).

stay mad faggit. fuck clem

Its hilarious to think that people use kali as a personal operating system

Puppy Linux

gentoo

Slackware.
Honourable runner-up: Fedora.

Unifonically whats wrong with kali

All of them

Loonix is a toy for nerds, not an OS someone with work to do would actually use

It's pretty easy to go to straight arch from antegros. Google it. Basically you change the repos to the arch ones, figure out what packages are installed under the antegros meta package (GUI Software tool is the easiest) remove those and install the removed stuff again from arch repos

Attached: 2Qhhdda6QnbezwgAdsSbmZvtRTj7wkKrthfGeZ8cECpaGVSKcrmgRB4cW3pzPXKD7gtTMBu4vZ96Tsfi2hNE.jpg (640x1091, 118K)

I thought antergos was unlike manjaro just a fancy installer for arch with no extra repos or anythning other than their de setup

no it has antegros repos added to pacman conf with their configs and themes and some stuff from aur