/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 1543210263318.jpg (3120x4160, 3.63M)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/s?k=2.5 ssd&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
ebay.co.uk/itm/273875876284
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have this HB140WX1-300 screen lying around, is this screen compatible with the T420? I want to replace it bcs eye strain.

I'm waiting for fedex to deliver my t420 ;_____; how long must i suffer for

Whats the point of having a laptop you can't play vidya on? Are you a wage slave or something?

Attached: Satania laugh 1.gif (220x224, 55K)

Back to /v/ or reddit, whichever shithole you manchildren come from.

video games are for children

But my thinkpad runs touhou at 60FPS.

Who said we can't?

Attached: boomer_thinkpad.jpg (4160x3120, 3.29M)

not all of us like vidya

Fucking hell, this is the ultimate boomer

is $700 too much for a 3rd gen x1 carbon?

Well, my T400 refused the 1600mhz RAM sticks, so I guess I'll have to trade them for 1333mhz sticks
But I remember someone used 1600mhz sticks successfully, though. Maybe it had something to do with Libreboot, so I'll see if I can get a RPi to flash it
>Satanichia poster is dumb and posts weak bait
What else is new? Here's your pity (You)

And being Schlomo's obedient little wagecuck makes you a big boy, right?

Attached: satania laugh 2.gif (500x284, 1.75M)

>its a my T450s just shit the bed episode

Rip in piss, back to the T420 it is
Anyone know what would cause random screen failure? Laptop wouldn't turn on for about three hours then when it finally did there was a weird white ring on the panel and the screen started to display nothing but corrupted static within five minutes of booting

How's clover on the t60?
Usable?
I wanted to try it but my t40 is too old for it

posted this last thread, i'm trying to get an egpu setup working with a corebooted x230, I have it working on a windows partition with a DSDT override, but when I boot arch with it connected i get a black screen with the cursor flashing, looking at dmesg, it says the PCI i/o allocation is invalid so it can't load the nvidia driver, i'm guessing its a similar issue to windows, anyone have any ideas? tried booting with pci=noCRS in kernel params

yikes.

Hell yes. It's just a thinner t450s without hot swap battery

this triggers the wincucks and linux-no-gamers

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-06-05 13-05-48.png (1920x1080, 3.51M)

that's still the best game ever made

.t 3 year old who was watching his dad play when it released in 1999 and is still playing it today

I see. I can get a t450s for $350-400, is that a good price? Are there any good international sellers or websites in general for thinkpads? My thirld-world shithole doesn't have many.

$350-400 sounds okay. There's always ebay and probs local alternatives

Would a chinkshit non OEM battery, but proper voltage and stuff fry a ssd? The ssd is Samsung 250gb from 2011.

Niggers I bought an X200 and the keyboard isn't working, well I got a load of "stuck key" errors, then I managed to install Parabola GNU/Linux and the keyboard wasn't working. Hit it, the keyboard worked until I rebooted and now its dead. I don't want to have to buy a new keyboard, but it should work because the track point still works. Any ideas or am I fucked and have to buy a replacement keyboard

>weebpedo unironically defending gayming

Nice try, incel

redpill me on x1 carbon 5th and 6th, i'm considering one of these.

Anyone have an X1 Extreme? Seriously considering it.

The Home Depot boxes really complete the picture.

If the price difference isn't too much, you should get the 6th gen. There's a world of difference between the 8th gen Intel U series CPUs and the 7th gen. 6th gen Carbon uses the 8th gen CPUs.

Did they ever make a PowerPC ThinkPad? That would be maximum comfy

I was playing minecraft like half an hour ago on my t420

they did

I have a w510 that I use as my "desktop" and a x201 for my compact companion

Thinking about getting a T series just for the heck of it

Attached: Dz-UPnXWoAAmzaG.jpg (1242x1532, 264K)

Just got me a W550s
where do I get parts to upgrade this, specifically the ssd? I don't wanna get something that's not compatible and I'm also a retard
It's on an old ass hdd that's slow as fuck

Any 2.5" SSD can replace the mechanical drive.
amazon.com/s?k=2.5 ssd&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I'm about to buy a t440p. Any advices?

>playing vidya on laptop
>not having based gayming rig to play on after you come home from working on your thinkpad all day

What's the general difference between the CPU's in the T450s and the X260? I'm struggling to choose between these two.

Attached: cmonks.png (600x450, 187K)

Thanks bro, can I get one of those fancy new evo pci or whatever ones that are super tiny?

Attached: 1540189168356.jpg (4032x3024, 504K)

check continuity on keyboard ribbon, nigger

I vaguely remember my father having an additional battery in his old laptop instead of the CD drive
Was that a thing?

Ultrabay battery?

Attached: 1541628775201.jpg (984x756, 404K)

Just finished flashing libreboot to my T400. Keeping track of all the screws was the most difficult part.

Has anyone heard of an issue with the T400 having all sorts of disk/AHCI issues and errors when the Ultrabay DVD drive is connected? Can't boot my OS or even mount my encrypted partitions with cryptomount -a in GRUB while the DVD is plugged in. Weird as hell.

Attached: IMG_1508.jpg (4032x3024, 2.69M)

What is so good about them?
Never had one, but I'm seriously considering getting a second hand T440 from ebay. The thing is, I can get a second hand i5 8250U notebook for 350 USD, and an used 4 year old thinkpad (i5 4300M) for 150-200 USD.

I have to take it to my workplace every day.

Attached: 1553308004933.png (590x590, 388K)

There's place for 2242 M.2 SSD.

Attached: 1552899056292.jpg (1000x1000, 75K)

Help me /tpg/ you're my only hope.

Travelling the world for 2 years, need a cheapo laptop to use while travelling.

Mandatory:
>Wifi
>Can play Stardew Valley

Ideal
>Loooooong battery life
>Excellent shitposting ability

What's my cheapest option when it comes to second hand thinkpads and what do you recommend?

nothing, they're dogshit and perform like dogshit
my $200 tablet literally outperforms any of these

Anyone here own any of the laptops in the P7x and P5x series?
I bought into the thin and light meme for architectural applications but high GPU loads while 3D modeling and high CPU temperatures for long periods of time while rendering are really killing these laptops one after another.

When will be out new Ryzen 3000 T-series 490 ThinkPad?

Neat.

What headset is that and what does it have to do with your thinkpad? I'm very curious about this. It looks interesting. Please spare no details.

For the very cheapo go for an xx20 or an xx30. You can have big-ass batteries on them, plus a slice battery that can go on the bottom of the laptop. Additionally, the T4XX of those series can have a battery in the DVD bay, so you can swap batteries without shutting the laptop down.

Sorry if I'm being tarded, by xx20, do you mean say an X220?

They are a decent price with an SSD, like £140~ that would be ideal for something that will probably be nicked.

Are there any reliable vendors that sell batteries for the x220 cheap?
Don't want to have a case of new old product or inability to hold charge after 3 months

(you)

Buy your own 18650s if you're scared...?
A cell swap is not even that hard

xx20 and xx30 is shorthand for T420/X220/W520, and T430/X230/W530.Basically, a blanket statement on specific model, just specifying the generation. Really. it comes down to what kind of features you want. The W-series is big, but very powerful and can have screens up to 1080p. The X-series is small and light, but without modding the screen can only be 1366x768. The T-series is a middle ground between the two, with a max screen of 1600x900 stock.

If you're in the UK, I grabbed an X230 from there not long ago for like €100 with the mid-range i5, so you can probably get something cheaper than that if you've got spare hardware to throw at it.

hi guys, what models are the most commuter friendly? I'm starting uni next semester and I cycle, would like something with fhd or better and good battery life too, sorry for the retarded post.

Thanks, I'm going to grab an X230 with a new battery as this seems super cheap and good enough for me.

Alrighty. Either get one with an IPS screen or add one. The stock TN panel is eye cancer. Alternatively, you can mod a 1080p screen onto it with the nitrocaster mod (requires soldering).

Assuming I don't drop it or damage it, roughly how long would a t480 last me? I'm tempted to get that or else a razer blade or new XPS (or old, depending).

The nvidia GPU will run mostly anything I want. But I'm just curious if me running the GPU 7+ hours a day while I'm playing games at work will kill the laptop fast. I just want this thing to last me at least 4 years - it'll be plugged in 99% of the time too

Based n Saved.

I recently saw a Latitude 7980 in person and I really liked the matte black aluminum finish. I've been looking for a Ryzen-based Latitude/Inspiron with the same body style but the only one I can find is 1366x768, which IMO shouldn't even be an option in 2019.

Based and redpilled

Attached: 1559267001821.jpg (1080x1080, 138K)

Buying a 410 s cash, can i libreboot with it? Planning on going full meme and installing gentoo.

idk check the website

Please help me navigate the X200 world.
I want something cheap and librebootable, but powerful enough to watch cartoons via mpv on.
There are a ton of different options/variants and stuff though which I don't understand.

just get an x200 then
if you want a slightly lighter version then go for the s version
if you want to draw then go for a t version (have the same processors as the i and s versions so equally as slow)
the i versions are non libreboot/coreboot-able so don't bother buying one

Which processor and ram configuration though?
The wiki doesn't even have a 1.86GHz model, but it's the most common one I see on ebay...
Stuff like this really throws me off.

Are there better places to buy than ebay?

>buy X230 back in 2016 (forgot the exact year)
>replace bottom casing because it's cracked
>replace keyboard with backlit one
>replace touchpad with a less worn-out one
>replace cracked palm rest
>replace broken lid
>replace mobo for i7 one with nitrocaster mod
>replace screen for FHD one

is it still the same x230 that I bought 3 years ago?

Theseus' Thinkpad

is that a syringe or thermal paste?

>replace mobo for i7 one with nitrocaster mod
N-nani? How?

just buy one on ebay dude, it's not gonna make a difference
if you want more ram then just shove more ram in. Get a board with the most powerful processor offered, they'll all be Core 2 Duos
just don't overpay for this shit

protip, the x200 trackpad-less wrist rest can be swapped for an x201 wrist rest if you don't like the trackpad for some reason

outperforms any thinkpad? i doubt it

Just got a refurb T540p with 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD for $170, how bad did I fuck up. Already ordered a replacement three button track pad and I scoped out a replacement screen/keyboard if needed. I'm thinking of popping a second SSD in and maybe more RAM or an upgraded i7 depending on how it performs out of the box. Mostly using it for programming and web browsing, maybe playing TF2 and shit like that if it doesn't run awfully.

i7-3520M, just a tad faster than the i5

my T480s plays vidya no problem

Hi /tpg/,
I'm interested in getting a used T440, it's for university, I'm doing a diploma in IT. I believe it's suffice but what do you guys think?

Are those japanese x220 keyboards easy to remap with setxkbmap?

I did most of a cisco networking associates degree and a computer science degree with a t440p. It was great after i upgraded the trackpad to one with buttons and a 1080p ips screen. I tried the x240 first and it was way too small to use comfortably for any length of time. I also tried the t420 as I was a thinkpad ebay seller back then and had a bunch of them but the screen sucked so I switched to the t440p after a while.

The t440 is probably just as good for most people but you can upgrade the t440p to i7-4980hq with iris pro graphics if you need most processing power or better graphics in the future. you have to buy ones that have been adapted for the socket from sketchy chinese sellers on taobao though

Putty and Notepad++ don't need much power.

/tpg/ wizards,
What can I do about the searing blue light emanating from my TN shitpanel?

Just got a t470s for ~350 USD, how'd I do?
>i5-7300U
>8gb RAM
>256gb ssd
The screens a bit fucked but I've heard they're easy to replace

Has anyone gotten tpmiddle to work on Windows 10? Every time I launch it I get pic related.

Attached: ss+(2019-06-06+at+16.55.06).png (429x116, 5K)

Hi peoples, I am seriously into my Thinkpads at the moment.
I run 2 laptops for work and have been using a T470 onsite for machine programming.

Specs:
i7-7500U 2.6Ghz
16 Gb Ram
1.5 TB worth of SSD

Just pulled the trigger and replacing my daily driver Dell M3800 (Which I haven't liked)
Ordered and delivered this week:

Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Core i7-8850H 2.6G 6C vPro MB
32Gb Ram
GTX 1050Ti 4G G5 128b
2.5gb of PCIe SSD's

Is this a pretty good spec?

It's a shame that the 8850H is no better than the cheaper ones because of thermal throttling

Are the 70+ series Thinkpads flimsy? They look really thin. Do they flex when you pick them up by the corner with one hand?

So, was thinking of getting a X250 as a gift to my mother who has been using the same Intel atom powered Toshiba netbook for the past 5 years. Feels like torture using it since it's basically a shitty 10.1 tablet with a less then standard keyboard running a 32bit windows and is barely capable of it. Tried a 32bit linux with a windows like DE but it isn't much better.

As far as usage
>Browsing
>a lot of PDF reading
>Medicinal videos

Anything in particular i should be looking out for? I don't really care much for a the secondary battery as it's a home usage PC.

Also, what's the current best bang for buck upgrade from a T420? I'm likely keeping it as for other usage but i need something mobile with a decent battery life. Was thinking a T450s or T460\s with a FHD screen.

Just got my x200 today, installed arch on it.
Errything fine and comfy other than the fact that there's random lag spikes (in i3 terminals of all places), where text just doesn't appear for like 3 seconds.
Is this even fixable or is it just due to the x200 being old?

Thanks for the help fags

Got Thinkpad T400, came with supervisor password. What do? Don't feel like disassembling it entirely, I just wanna get rid of the keyboard beep

I've got a 4th gen x1c and you can twist it a bit with two hands.

>ordered an x220 monday
>estimated delivery on store page was the 11th
>usps said friday last night
>now it says today
is this it, boys?
will i be comfy earlier than expected?

Attached: 1553713095311.jpg (1280x720, 297K)

umm guys my little brother wants a gaming laptop so he could play with his other friends so visiting them etc lets say he has a budget of around 1000$ any recommendation? he plays gtav/fortnite alot..

how is the x61s in todays world, is it usable? for programming/light web browsing/Chinese cartoons

there is also a hp elitebook 2730p that is very cute too, im not sure which device is more powerful for my tasks

Alright lads, who's copping so you can be cool like me?
ebay.co.uk/itm/273875876284

Attached: 701c.jpg (2371x1778, 642K)

Saved to my blessed images folder

What should I do to refresh my old W700? things a fucking monster. It still works but the battery is obviously shot. It needs a makeover basically.

Attached: mb_ws_09.jpg (1024x790, 109K)

> Windows 10
well there's your problem

copped the t420 as my workhorse, 8GB RAM / 130GB SSD for $130. threw on manjaro and feels gud man

Attached: 498790423.jpg (712x1426, 240K)