why the fuck is it so hard to install shit on linux

Attached: 0286.jpg (750x960, 146K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.en.html
github.com/slacka/WoeUSB
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>apt install firefox gimp libreoffice kate
GOD WHY IS IT SO HARD

it's much easier to install on linux than on windows or any mobile os or mac osx, you just dont know what the fuck you're doing and you have done it on other oss

>pacman -S [package]
WHY IS THIS SHIT SO FUCKING HARD WTF? WHY CAN'T YOU JUST VISIT SOME RANDOM WEBSITE AND DOWNLOAD SOMETHING LIKE THAT, CAREFULLY AVOIDING COMPUTER AIDS LINUX OPERATING SYSTEM SUCKS!!

this is true and Ive been using winshit for longer but linux is very streamlined now and even manual installation is easy

Shit has me all sorts fucked up
Whenever I want to install a new program it takes me at least 1-2 hours
linux isn't a new user friendly OS and is definitely not for anyone who wants to not think about what's going on in the system

>Whenever I want to install a new program it takes me at least 1-2 hours
Have you considered that you might have a learning disability or something? It's not that fucking hard.

>sudo apt-get install thing
???

Half the time it isn't in there. The other half of the time it's outdated or buggy. It works on one distro but not the other. It's missing a dependency etc etc. Linux is shit if you don't care about all these unneeded hassles

Most of the time it works. The rest of the time I just search for it and can find the command to type pretty quickly. I've never had anything unreasonably outdated or buggy.

Arch motherfucker, heard of it?

You must use firefox and libre office only then

Yeah tell me about how I should spend hours and hours picking the right packages to build my os

It's GNU/Linux.
gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.en.html

if its not in the package manager reminds me of finding software in the mid 2000s
> google "randomsoftwareifoundonline download"
for windows back in the day, add xp, vista or 7 if you need a specific version
> google "Xsoftware deb" or "Xsoft tar"
etc
i havent had many issues and i'm using devuan ascii, which is stable and has older packages

Even as I try to revert to windows I'm having a fucking hard time with this stupid shit on Debian github.com/slacka/WoeUSB

Attached: 1559504638322.jpg (1024x777, 72K)

I've been running opensuse tumbleweed for some time after hopping for ages and I quite like it. It's a nice balance between stability and shiny newness and package support is fantastic. It uses RPM but also another, one-click-install format whose name escapes me, and can use RPMs from other distros like red hat. YaST is also fucking awesome and any administrators wet dream, all the options are right there and the configuration tools are very granular; coupled with KDE you'll have complete control over every aspect of your system.

You just typed a whole lotta words that would take more of my valuable time away to look up and understand. fuck that and fuck this autistic OS tinkering shit, compiling and binary shit

I almost jumped to openSUSE, everyone is praising it. When I fix my laptop flat cable I'll test it.

Attached: image_2019-06-05_21-33.png (1440x2599, 109K)

And that's why kids, niggers shoudn't use computers

>Jow Forumstard too stupid to write a one-line command
Makes sense.

cope

I tried to install Ubuntu after watching that Windows versus Linux video with the song here comes the heart stopper playing. Took a bit to install compiz, then it was hard to install pretty much any application, I was much younger then so I don’t know how things would fare now if I tried Linux again.

>you might have a learning disability
Really funny, dude. I can't believe I just spent nearly two hours typing out this response to such a dick.

what app exactly? all the common stuff is automatic on ubuntu, just search and click

sudo WoeUSB/src/woeusb

the executable is ready in the src folder no need to have lots of trouble, learned that the hard way.

How is writing "sudo apt install shit" into a terminal window hard?

>thinking having to type some esoteric garbage intoi the terminal is intuitive

Linuxtards are mentally ill

Using a package manager is only esoteric if you're a braindead wintard. Even macfags manage to use brew. You're even lower than a cock sucking OSX user.

Lol you must have never had to build from source and track down all dependencies and dependencies of those prior dependencies.

What sort of shit are you installing that you need to do any of that? In my 7 or 8 years using Linux I've only had to compile stuff like 3 or 4 times, mostly installing small stuff from github. In every single other occasion there's a ppa or a built package you can use. Most of the time the documentation will list you the packages you need to install to build.

I think you're just a dumb wintard used to downloading stuff and installing it instead of using a package manager like you should.

simpletons who do nothing interesting at their computer at all, probably have google chrome and itunes installed and thats it

Attached: 1559520401795.jpg (500x500, 54K)

tell me the super interesting programs you're installing big guy.

the absolute state of Jow Forums

Other user, but we use Debian and OpenSuse at work (6k employees) and there are literally only 3 applications or so that I need to touch to get them running (Graphana for example, but only because there are no official build for suse enterprise).

I also use Linux at home on every computer except my phones (no android), and also there the only thing I needed to compile was my wifi driver.
I don't get what the fuck you guys do.

obvious troll is obvious. go back to Jow Forums

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

>tell me the super interesting programs you're installing big guy.
Actually, I have had similar issues, blender and an opensource image processing program for raw files from cameras. It varied between distro but some were months or years out of date if installed via package managers.

What is considered the correct way to install and update these programs as needed on linux?

Both Ubuntu 19.04 and Fedora 30 have the latest version of both Darktable and Blender.

protip: don't install LTS releases or Debian if you want the latest and greatest.

>use earned money to buy a basic laptop
>512 MB ram, has vista
>slow as fuck
>decide to try linux since everyone says its faster
>make partition on HDD to install linux
>use Live cd, its pretty
>installation doesnt want to install on special partition so I let it decide where to install
>video driver fucks it up, nothing on screen
>Try to reboot to windows to figure what happened
>No windows, it installed on windows partition
>reinstall vista, slap more ram
>laptop runs fine for 4 years until it dies of overheating

> figure how to ress the laptop
>blender doesn't want to run on vista
>install new ubuntu
>no internet, have to get another computer to figure how to fix wi-fi driver
>video driver still buggy, blender either doesnt open or crashes the laptop
>install 7
>everything works fine

>want to try meme learning
>try dual booting
>grub2 has failed to install
In the end after a few hours I got all data from the HDD and learned how to prevent that error, but then there were 11-20 steps to go so no meme learning for now

sorry but you're either lying or too stupid

there's like four or five install routes
>download package from distro's graphical package manager
>sudo apt install name_of_program (same as above, less obvious, but fast)
>download .deb or .rpm package directly from the author, double click it
>download source, ./configure && make && sudo make install for like 90% of whatever (you might end up having to install a bunch of dependencies though, which is what makes this a pain)
>download binary, run installer script (90% of the time, this is commercial or otherwise closed source software, and it'll jam the program in /opt/name-of-program)

or fuck, there's even
>download name_of_program.appimage, run

apart from the source install, every one of these is a simple one-step process

even when installing from source, it's basically
>./configure complains about libwhatever missing
>sudo apt install libwhatever
>program compiles

I've seen shit like that happen myself.
>download liveusb, play with it for a bit
>everything just works, seems like this distro will be perfect for the machine
>run installer, no issues show up in the install log
>click reboot
>video is borked and in fallback 1024x768 even though the live session detected everything perfectly, ran in native res, and had hardware acceleration
>no wifi even though it was a-okay on the live session and it downloaded updates during the install
>touchpad acting up
so even though the distro should otherwise support the hardware, the installer fucked up

>cope: command not found

not him but if you cant type a 3 word command in a terminal, you probably do have a mental disability...

no its not. its not hard, but its not "every install is an .exe file that you just run and follow the prompts".

It’s retard proof

>Both Ubuntu 19.04 and Fedora 30 have the latest version of both Darktable and Blender.
Ok, great, but what do I do when it wasn't darktable I was using and blender gets a release that doesn't line up with an ubuntu release?

Yeah, proof that you have to be a retard to use linux.

More intuitive than every UI these days, tbqh. My mother found using her computer far easier when she migrated to linux, since remembering bash shit is easier than counter-intuitive UI shit.

>something isn't in the package manager (aka app store)
>have to find a tarball and do more terminal witchcraft to unpack it before you recite the correct incantation to install it
this is so much better than double clicking an .exe

Just download the package and unzip it somewhere.

How do you call a store that doesn't sell anything? Calling package managers an app store is the most retarded shit you can say. They have existed long before app stores were a thing.

>sperging out over semantics
Classic.

ok retard.

DUDE THERE ARE NO COLORFUL ICONS TO CLICK ON I HAVE TO TYPE WORDS AND SHIT WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT

>sudo apt/zypper/dnf install package
or
>click buttons in graphical package manager
OR
>download package from internet
wow that was fucking hard

You sound like an arrogant hack. Have you ever considered the software I need wasn't provided in my distributions package manager?

>>have to find a tarball and do more terminal witchcraft to unpack it before you recite the correct incantation to install it
just clone it off github and type make, then sudo make install moron. It's always quicker, easier and less retarded than downloading binaries off the internet to permanently alter your computer and leaving them to update/uninstall themselves.

>cock sucking OSX user.
OSX is the same as GNU/Linux, stop meming

Attached: rotom-heat.jpg (815x1000, 122K)

>>video is borked and in fallback 1024x768 even though the live session detected everything perfectly, ran in native res, and had hardware acceleration
Was it Nvidia? The golden rule of Linux seems to be that you can use any obscure hardware you want if you at least remember to skip Nvidia GPUs. They have been the worst company that Torvalds had to deal with.

Attached: 1481892634492.gif (640x360, 1.55M)

>literally telling the computer what to do is unintuitive
absolute state