Smart TVs with Cameras and Microphones are becoming the norm. How do we prevent this dystopian reality?

Smart TVs with Cameras and Microphones are becoming the norm. How do we prevent this dystopian reality?

Attached: dsgn-camera.png (467x395, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ispot.tv/ad/7Vd3/comcast-skype-through-xfinity-for-comcast
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Smart TVs with Cameras and Microphones are becoming the norm
what's your IQ?

Buy large monitors instead.

>Smart TVs with Cameras and Microphones
They're smart TVs though... aren't they meant to?

Do you like being spied on?

this u fuck

Attached: metallics-roberts-duct-tape-50-555-64_1000.jpg (1000x1000, 61K)

Stop buying this crap, that's how.
On a side note, how many manufacturers actually update the apps on said smart TVs past 2-4 years? I remember this shit on bluray players with YouTube apps. 5-6 years later it was useless.

He's right though. It's increasingly hard to find a new television that's just a screen with video inputs, they ALL have "smart features" now

that's the other issue. If the apps are outdated, they are likely vulnerable.

Add IPv6 to the mix and now you got a big gaping security hole in your home network.

Smart TVs are cancer.

>He's right though.
>Smart TVs with Cameras and Microphones are becoming the norm
>He's right though

What the fuck kind of shitpost is this, speak English asshole

Just don't buy them you retard. Use a normal "dumb" TV or a large monitor

What's your IQ?
Find 5 TVs made the past 5 years that has a camera built in.

So what happens when no more dumb tvs are produced? Information collecting is a lucrative business and lets companies reduce hardware costs.

Should I just crack open the case and physically disconnect the microphone?

"Dumb" tvs are becoming increasingly hard to acquire new from manufacturers

literally just don't connect it to the internet

>Should I just crack open the case and physically disconnect the microphone?
I would, I'd disconnect camera, mic, find a way to disable some of the rom too if I could.

No, user..rational solutions aren'tt allowed here.

The most scary thing to me is when they put cameras under the screen. Its not that far away. I wonder if they can get away with not labelling them

This could be done easily if it comes to that. But the data collection can be done regardless, so you're fucked either way

Newegg has 870 LED tvs for sale
Of the 870, 852 are smart tvs
A search within says 30 have camera in the description, and 89 of them have voice controls.

Far from becoming the norm, but definitely not a small number at over 10% available.

how about not connecting them to the internet, you dense fuck?

76 of them have google assistant built in, 38 have amazon alexa,

Break down the 'voice controls'.. My tv has FireTV with Alexa, but it's in the remote (and it's disabled).
Are they talking about mics actually built into the TV for videochat and all that bullshit?

what happens when that's no longer allowed? Always connected devices are already a thing, what's stopping television manufacturers from doing the same thing? Further, mesh networks are becoming more and more of a thing meaning that it will more than likely auto connect to other smart devices in the near future for convenience.

No. That's why I don't buy smart tvs.

Read my mind..ohshit (checks monitor for mic and camera)

Almost no TVs have mics built in. They are on the remote and have to be manually triggered. If you're that much of a tinfoil had just use any universal remote without the mic.

I'm not going to go through 1 by 1 and check what the actual features are. Also, even if a device says its disconnected, there's not verifiable way to check if it does actually disconnect the microphone.

Now you're being a bit ridiculous, user.

society may have devolved into a retarded mess but not that retarded to tolerate such nonsense.

now that's funny.

Of course we will.

Pretty easy to verify if it's Android-based. FireTVs are pretty open..put it in developer-mode and they are as easy to tinker with as rooted phones.

i try to hope things won't get worse, but that hope is fading away

Jesus.

Attached: 1552056792963.png (293x323, 168K)

I can understand microphones, but why cameras?

CRT Gang rise up

>but why cameras
because OP is lying

I have some bad news for you guys.

I get why they have microphones but why the fuck would I want a camera in my tv? For waving my hand to change the channel? Fuckin hell...

>in the near future, you will not be able to operate a television without Internet access

Yep, perfectly sane and logical reaction to smart tv's and web-enabled devices there, buddy.

Videochat, AR/VR gaming bullshit, parental controls, and the #1 reason..add extra crap so people buy new televisions.

ispot.tv/ad/7Vd3/comcast-skype-through-xfinity-for-comcast

>skype or video conferencing through your fucking tv
I wonder what the statistics are of people who actually use this feature.

Do you think broadband cable will last too much longer? The only other non internet option is physical entertainment mediums like DVD and Blu-ray, which is arguably already dead

Face it, more and more smart tvs will exist, people will want to treat them like the Jetsons. Facebook portal is here, Amazon has their own thing, so does google. It's only a small leap to put that capability in your TV.

It's Apple syndrome. People think they need it, so they'll buy it. This timeline is a joke.

You are 10 years late
Smart TVs with cameras and microphones have existed for years if not a decade as this point, it's just they only existed on really high end sets and like all high-end features it trickles down to the lower end

people with relatives living far away, particularly if each distant group of relatives is large

I think you add about thirty or forty years to your "We will only be able to use the Internet for entertainment" prediction. Probably longer. Unless you live in some small European country where it's relatively easy and inexpensive to blanket the entire nation with Wi-Fi, 5G and fiber, it's not happening. Not even Facebook/Google/all the telecoms can afford to (or even want to) upgrade the entire civilized world's infrastructure.
Those broadband cable companies are the ones supplying most of our Internet. They do it on the strength of those bloated cable-packages they sell everyone.

>Face it, more and more smart tvs will exist, people will want to treat them like the Jetsons.
People will, and they'll adapt to the privacy concerns too by keeping these products in areas away from more personal private areas.

I'd definitely consider having a soundproof conference room or media room for them if I were building a house today. I would build them next to the study in a way that doesn't compromise it as a confidential enclosure. Same with smart phones. If I ran a business that used confidential info, I'd have areas for which employees used their phones and I'd give them some container to store the device that prevents them from leaking information.
I'd also require the use of a specific set of computers for the handling of confidential info.

None of that happened in the last place I worked and that dealt with billion dollar cases. I was shocked.

Just don't connect it to your network lol

Just wear a wig and thick glasses every time you watch TV.

dumb tvs don't exist anymore you turboretard

Just wait until they put the cameras behind the screen.

Have you tired not being a fucking retard? kys

Buy commercial displays. They usually have the same panel as the consumer ones, without the additional garbage.

Attached: consumer-vs-commercial-display.jpg (930x300, 39K)

Don't connect it to the internet?
Tape it off?
Shut if off by pulling the switch?
Not giving a shit?

Every single mid to high end 4k TV has a microphone.

There are cases where some smart TVs automatically connected to unsecured wifi networks.

>additional garbage
like sound, image enhancment, hdr, more inputs, lower prices,...
sadly commercial displays are overpriced garbage ... for the most part

I just impulse bought a LG ThinQ HDR UHD TV cause it was cheap as shit. Last night I noticed it has a little nub on the bottom with what looked like an ambient light sensor, an IR sensor, and possibly a camera. How fucked am I?

Attached: 1558578331392.jpg (250x245, 6K)

Any way to get a 4K DUMB tv?
I’ve to replace mine that’s nearly twelve years old, only do 720p.

>literally just don't connect it to the internet
And you can update firmware over USB on most, if not all TVs as well.

They fucking removed skype from samsung TVs because microshit didn't feel like supporting it on whatever hellish concoction of android the TVs are running. My dad bought a camera for the TV in order to talk to me while I was abroads studying. It was rendered useless by this update.

>But the data collection can be done regardless
An internet connection is required to send telemetry packets. It is simple, just don't connect it to your network.
The camera is easy to cover.
The mic is the only pain in the ass to block without gutting the product.

Regardless, if you never connect the TV to the internet then you should be fine.
The main problem is that you'd be paying more for features you do not want.
I hope monitors and TVs without microphones built in will continue to be made.

Out of curiosity I wonder if there is a way to destroy a microphone without opening up the device or destroying other components.
How much sound pressure Level could a microphone endure until it stops picking up an intelligible audio?(pretty stupid since it would fuck up the ears of everyone in the vicinity)
Could you destroy a microphone by injecting some sort of chemical solution into it without damaging other parts?
Could suction or high air pressure be used to destroy a mic without damaging other parts?
You'd definitely be voiding your warranty anyways so might as well gut it.

ffs it is in stupid remote, just throw it in trashbin and use 10usd chink remote if you are worried about tv spying on you even if its not connected to internet

By stopping being this much of a boomer and getting rid of TVs entirely.

gosh if only there was some way to not connect your smart tv to ethernet or wifi and use it as a dumb tv instead

>How much sound pressure Level could a microphone endure until it stops picking up an intelligible audio?
Explosion-blast-wave levels of pressure if it’s some cheap MEMS unit.

>Find 5 TVs made the past 5 years that has a camera built in.
>Every single mid to high end 4k TV has a microphone.
Holy fuck you IQ is literally less than 80. You did not answer the fucking question. And TVs don't have mics built in, they are in the fucking remote. Literally swap out the smart remote for a dumb one without a mic.

don't connect it to your network?

I just buy grey market kogan shit with all that stripped away to save money
Waiting for 4k 120hz ultra wide TV's to come out 16:9 sucks for the vidya I play mainly car sims and is shit for multi tasking