Are mechanical keyboards a complete meme or what

To start I am a professional programmer with over 100 successful compiles and nearly 1,000 hours logged in VIM.
I've used several types of mechanical keyboards over the years at workplaces.
Duckys, Filcos; Blue, Black, Red switches; sure they feel a bit different at first.
But after 10 minutes it's just another thing you're bashing on to make letters come out on the computer screen.

A month ago I went to the peripherals cupboard and grabbed an old membrane keyboard, plugged it in and guess what?
Zero change in my productivity or quality of life or whatever other BS metric you want to cook up.

What is it Jow Forums?
Are mechanical keyboards truly worth their premium cost over regular membrane keyboards?
Or are they just another spastic nerdflex?

Attached: retard with a retardboard.jpg (1580x2108, 287K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.codinghorror.com/we-are-typists-first-programmers-second/
romly.com/archives/2019/05/tokyomk6_en.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are you a complete retard or what?

a nice keyboard is nice but to an extent they're anime figurines for sysadmins. fuck paying $150 for a set of keycaps, idgaf if they're limited edition doubleshot thick pbt or were personally blessed by the pope

idk dude i have cherry browns at home and at work i have cheap dell membrane keyboard and my typo rate increases significantly. Guess it depends on the brand and model?

Many people find them much more comfortable to type on. If you don't then don't use one.

>bottoming out the keyboard like a filthy pleb he is

I have 500 successful compiles and 5000 hours in VIM with 5m LOC with 100 wpm in mechanical and 40 on membrane

look at that subtle off white coloring, the tasteful thickness of it. my god, it even has a screw-in jack

Attached: 1401334842641.jpg (394x295, 11K)

you've used vim for over 1000 hours but don't know it's vim and not VIM? seems fishy

also, if you can't experience joy from using a nice switch, I feel awful for you.

Its just a fun toy who cares

The best "mechanical keyboard" is a rubber dome topre. They are truly BTFO

blog.codinghorror.com/we-are-typists-first-programmers-second/

it's a durability thing

your membranes will burst like a blister at some point, and before that they're going to weaken
press E
now press pause/break
do you feel how pause/break is a stiffer press?
your keypresses aren't uniform, they are wearing out, assuming you've used the membrane for a year or so
mechanical keyboards don't wear in the same fashion, they will fail electrically before you notice difference in the force required

does it matter?
no
is it a difference that some people can feel, and care about?
yes

Me, I'm mad.

I got my first thinkpad (t420) today and I was expecting the keyboard to be utter shit compared to the couple of mechanical keyboards I have but I was surprised when the typing experience on it felt more comfortable than the years spent on $100+ keyboards. I have other complaints about the machine (namely the screen) but most of it I can modify with a little effort.

Mechs are probably a meme, but it depends on what you're comparing them to.

mech keyboards are nice to have but got hijacked by autists to supplant their personality

>a professional programmer with over 100 successful compiles
So you've installed gentoo twice...

I had a t440 and liked the keyboard alot I wish I could have a nice version of that keyboard for desktop

kek

i'm still using my old logitech g1 keyboard from my cs1.6 days
there is no diference between pause/break with e or any other key
it's still perfectly functional and press-sensitive
only thing would be i lost one of the legs but that doesn't have anything to do with membrane/mechanical
on the other hand, the people i know who has mech keys buy one every year, so what is this 'longevity' actually good for?

Even so, for the price of a mechanical keyboard you can buy 10 membrane keyboards

Meme and buyer's remorse

scissor switches are nice at first until they start getting uneven wear

some rhythm games aren't playable with a membrane keyboard

oldfag here, i used old ibm and hp mechanical keyboards for years, i was truly relieved when cheap membranes came in and my keyboard went from typing machine hell to silent.
I opened both types and those old ones were, like everything else tech at the time, a marvel of engineering, membranes were chinese remote control type of shit.
When mechanical keyboard made comback I avoided it for the sole reason I still prefer silence to engineering. With the price difference it's not hard to make case that membranes are a better buy.

That said, if you're a gamer suposedly good mech can help you fastclick as you feel (hear?) the transition to click and you don't need to make a keypress of full depth. I have no reflexes left that would benefit from this.

If there was a relatively inexpensive conservative (not rainbow) solid mechanical keyboard with lower keys (i read that's a thing), low noise, iluminated (through) keys but zero bleed, silent, I'd probably try it though.

> your membranes will burst like a blister at some point
I've been using pic related for the past 2 decades, it's membranes are as stiff as ever.

Attached: mitsumi the undying.jpg (1600x660, 347K)

"100 successful compiles"

How many are you on then?

underrated post

I own a shitty razer with cherry mx blues and have had that for over 7 years. is it the best keyboard on the market> Fuck no, wasn't even when i bought it but it was what was available and to hand at the time.
But its lasted a goodly long time and has a metal backing plate and the keys are still very crisp.
So i dunno what you're talking about. Maybe the people you hang out with are people who really like to get the latest "Thing" but like anything with tech just because something CAN be amazing doesn't mean the consumerist inside some people can resist the newest shiny thing.

FPBP

I spent over $100 on a mechanical keyboard six years ago and it's still working perfectly to this day. This is the longest I've ever had a keyboard without something failing like the space bar falling off and breaking.
Yeah it might have some shitty gaming logos on it, but it's not over the top like some keyboards and it gets the job done.

Attached: 2014-07-22-product-4.jpg (800x563, 232K)

Mostly a meme, but the main point is customizability. That's why you stay away from any non-QMK supported mech keyboard.

Other points are you can get them in many different non-standard layouts, customize the colors by buying chink caps, and choose from different types of switched for different typing feel. Hell you can even build one yourself from scratch.

Now I just wish mouses had this level of customizability

>CUMSTORM

Yeah, a keyboard is a tool. Grab the one that feels most comfortable for you and roll with it. I have used several membranes over 20 years until I spent over 100 euros on a ducky 1 with blue cherries, modded with O-rings. 3 years later this thing still feels like it's brand new "out of the box"-feeling and I use it almost daily. You just can't get that with a membrane.

Membranes do have that one special perk and that is the silence - they make less racket.

As someone using a pretty cheap mechanical keyboard compared to /mkg/ anons (outemu blue switches), they're definitely nicer to type than my Logitech K120.
But I don't really recommend mechanical keyboard like its second best since sliced bread or something.

Attached: 1524306445729.png (1276x1048, 548K)

Naw actually looks like a decent KEK board

I can type for much longer comfortably on my mech, and plus i legitimately derive pleasure from typing on it.

You can definitely feel the difference.

When I first got mine it took me a day to get uses to it.

My girlfriend thinks my loud ass mechanical keyboard is sexy because it makes me look professional. I don’t understand why but she actually likes the sounds. She says its comforting.

I brought this up with a friend and his girlfriend says the same thing. Not sure why the female brain works this way but i have two anecdotal data points showing mechnical keyboards being attractive to women

Farting loudly also asserts dominance. If that doesn't work, just sneak up on her and clap loudly every once in a while.

>got my first thinkpad today

what have you been doing?

Anyone know if this is custom built or what model/brand this is?

and then everybody clapped! lmfao

It's not a meme but the fags who spend hundreds of dollars getting custom keycaps or building a custom keyboard should gas themselves.

For most of us, our entire professional life is done through keyboard entry of strings. Nothing wrong with glitzing it up a bit.

based

I am using this pic related membrane keyboard for almost 7 years now. It still works perfectly fine and the print on the keys is still like new. It hasn't faded at all. Over the course of years, I have spilt soft drinks and coffee on it but it still works like it's brand new.

Attached: keyboard-.jpg (600x600, 41K)

there was a period of time when i was working 18 to 20 hour days. mechanical KB seriously cut down on the fatigue, cramping and tendinitis.

for most people there's no difference other than they feel nice.

yes and no

yes because you should enjoy what you use and if you get enjoyment from it then that's good. Preferences are also something and a mechanical keyboard vs a shitty laptop keyboard can be a night and day difference.

No because some of this shit is fucking retarded price wise and aesthetic wise. RGB, keycaps, etc are all so tiresome and probably not worth it.

Is this pic at the recent Tokyo keyboard meetup?

romly.com/archives/2019/05/tokyomk6_en.html

Attached: tokyomk6-032.jpg (2000x957, 834K)

>inb4 b&d

Attached: 2017-10-25 09_39_56-latest (345×337).png (329x104, 67K)

>typing on unblessed keycaps

Attached: 1556635878920.jpg (280x425, 15K)