I hate updating apps

I hate updating apps.
What's the point, there's never even a changelog besides "performance improvements".
Why don't they wait and release updates when there's something significant or on a schedule like once a month. Some apps update every day.

Attached: Screenshot_20190605-233007.png (1080x1920, 197K)

That's why:

>What's the point, there's never even a changelog besides "performance improvements".

Because you know how many people have those apps installed? probably 100k+ for most apps that update regularly. Do you think little timmy, uncle ted, or grandma may cares to hear about code fixes and logs +100 lines of shit? no that's why you can google the app version it updated to and see the change log. Every day person doesn't give a shit about the details, just that it is up to date, and a feel good message.

Unless a major feature implementation why bother stating more?

mario64 still has not recieved an update and is perfect

Just disable the "updates available" notification and only update apps once every week/month. Problem solved.

Some have security updates that patch vulnerabilities. Installing malware apps from google play is more common way to get exposed.
I dont have play store auto updates on.

Bit off-topic.
What is the point in getting snapdragon 855 over 845? It cant do anything more and the performance is marginal. Does not give better battery life. Demanding games run a bit better and consume more battery. It is not air cooled so the sd855 SoC heats up like any other SoC.

you can install malware from the play store?
I thought they vet the things they put in there.
That is a huge security risk.

Spyware, adware, miners, ...
A lot of garbage apps that want your data.
Google cant stop apps from abusing permissions.
Same with apple, microsoft or other app stores.

You have a point. Why do some apps update every ~7 days or more? Most of the big software companies have development iterations (including code review, testing, and building) of 30 days or more. How is it even possible for these apps to update more frequently than their iteration? Do they have multiple iteration cycles running in parallel (security, features, etc)?

>what is the Shindou Edition

This.

>Why don't they wait and release updates when there's something significant or on a schedule like once a month. Some apps update every day.
Because every update counts as a download.

I hate updating my apps and my phone OS as Android isn't made with ease of updates in mind. These are all seperate updates, and my phone isn't even usable while having an OS update. Who thought of this? Why lock someone's phone while it's updating? Why force-close a still usable app after a new version is installed?

The resources and file handles it has open would be invalidated or corrupted.

I dont use the play store.
Just the aurora store(yalp is dead).
Never notifies me and i just update only when i care.

that's fucking dumb.

Attached: 1559356861047.jpg (241x209, 8K)

Are you poor or what? just buy a new updated phone.

Gotta inflate the downloads somehow.

i only use f-droid, and always keep things up to date

never got this problem using the same programs on my computer. is Android that badly written?

It happens everywhere, you might have just not noticed it yet. Suppose you launch a program that lazily loads icon.png (meaning it loads it only when it needs to). If you update the package, the binary will be overwritten, and the file might be moved to icon1.png. But the program binary hasn't been relaunched, so it will still want to load icon.png, resulting in a bug.
The Android OS realizes that this is a near impossible problem to solve in general, so it closes the app right before installing.

even on desktop gnu/linux, it not recommended to update things while they're running
you can do it, but it's very much "well if you know what you're doing..." territory
i do it all the time, but i do restart programs/daemons after updating them at my nearest convenience

>buy a phone to update Uber Eats
Based retard

"Google" app needd to update every week

it literally take 15 minutes to install the update... anyone else have this problem? i wish i could just uninstall it

>i wish i could just uninstall it
Install custom rom with microG instead of gapps. Retard.

MicroG is dead fucko

>i wish i could just uninstall it
protip: you can

Attached: a.png (1080x411, 25K)

that is my point, updating Android apps makes them restart at inconvenient times. this means I have to remember updating them the moment I want to stop using them, meaning I'll just forget to update them even longer. atleast on my computer, I can get a new kernel, new xorg and new firefox installed, while watching Youtube and rebooting when done and when my video is done.
for full OS update this is even worse

yea, but you know most users are the type who will not restart apps by themselves, they'll just ignore it until something breaks, then complain when it does
this is very much a lowest-common-denominator OS, and so must work in the worst possible case

Just turn off auto-updates. Why are you complaining? The premise of this entire thread is that you haven't fixed a simple problem in your phone settings.

If you're not mentally disabled, then you won't be gaming on a phone, so the difference is irrelivent, get the cheaper one
Even a nintendo switch is better for emulators, because it actually has buttons and can be played on the telly
Just homebrew it

Then don't use it, fuckboy
You don't need gapps

That's why one should use the F-Droid store

If updating your kernel involves removing the modules for the old one, then you can't load any new kernel modules after update, so any that are lazily loaded won't work until a reboot or kexec.
Modern Firefox will outright require you to restart the browser if it tries to spawn a new worker process after it has been updated (usually visible if you try to open a new tab).

>read the changelog
>added localization for 3rd world language that only 30 people are going to use
>fixed this very obscure bug that would cause the first letter to be 3px bigger when launching the app with exactly 34% battery and during full moon
>updated the 'about' information
>34mb
this shit is why i absolutely NEVER update any app/program/software/anything that doesn't:
a) provide a changelog with bugfixes/new features explicitly described
b) has "features" that are useless to me
you can easily spot tech illiterate retards by asking if they have automatic updates enabled on their phone.

Attached: 1541057391476.jpg (500x413, 121K)

Because you're already stating it elsewhere, it's a simple copy/paste job to show it here. If "little timmy" doesn't want to read it he can just ignore it.

Nice try NSA

aslong as I can update while getting my work done, or just watch youtube while waiting for the update... I understand why some Android ROMs force people to update - those updates are unpleasant. For me, if I wait for a more convenient time to update, there's a chance a critical update won't happen for a month.
on my computer, I update all packages, get work done while it is installing a new kernel and init version, then poweroff.

>Changelog:
>Updated changelog
>Bumped version number

>changelog:
>dropped support for x devices
>added patreon link

>Changelog:
>Fixed spelling mistake nobody noticed
>Updated contributor list
>Updated a library to a version which adds support for something not relevant to Android

> What's the point
CI.
> Why don't they wait and release updates when there's something significant
Why don't you shut the fuck up. Nobody cares about you, even programmers who make such apps. Metrics matter, users don't.

Google Maps updated recently and now the UI is white on black and voice directions only work half the time. It's fucking terrible. All they have to do is not break anything.

>no "so long gay bowser"
It's a downgrade