How to ask for recommendations:
>Budget
>Source
>Type of headphone
>Open or closed
>Comfort level
>Sound signature
>Past headphones

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: 1559396300068.png (932x719, 249K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kenrockwell.com/audio/why-tubes-sound-better.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

anything I gotta watch out for with the first batch of hifiman he4xx? (the 2.5mm input ones)

Good thread.

>inb4 triggered stax incels

You know ya boi got those
>AKG K77 Perception

STAX INCELS BTFO

Attached: 1558726434970.gif (540x540, 279K)

oh yeah, and I had to replace the jack because the soft ass wiring bent; also, I'm pretty sure there's something rattling around in the right headphone lol

Attached: amulet_of_fury.gif (499x374, 490K)

Be careful with low end Hifimans,its kinda a lottery. They generally sound good for their price but the build quality is China tier. You hear horror stories of drivers suddenly dying out.

Delete dis

Attached: Stax Incel Listening.png (471x579, 146K)

Thanks a lot for the heads up user
I'll treat them as carefully as I can
My current Superlux headphones are also from a chinese company so I wonder which of the two will prove itself to live the longest

>I'll treat them as carefully as I can
My HE400 literally have dents in them and still work.

Very reassuring user
thanks!

Winter is coming.

Attached: 9749f4.jpg (960x247, 27K)

As someone who prefers earbuds to IEMs, are the higher end VE buds worth it. Are they just better Monks? Any other quality earbuds out there?

Sub $400 Headphones for listening to ASMR like RJ220421?

Attached: 1556601754901.png (546x454, 223K)

Check out the Headroom MS16
best earbuds I own

Stax incels on suicide watch

Attached: stax degenerate.jpg (300x300, 8K)

TH-X00

Best sub $1000 headphone dropping by.

Attached: _DSC1527.jpg (4928x3264, 2.15M)

S-sankyu senpai

>tfw mine will arrive in a week or so
Jesus Christ, the hype

Attached: table.jpg (1611x1208, 263K)

>tubes

I mean they look cool but why purposefully distort your music?

ATH-M30X worth getting for £50/$64? I've had M20Xs for a while now and they're good, I need some to wear when walking around (previous ones borked) so I'll probably delegate them

First off that's a v good tube amp

Tube amplifiers have much more distortion than solid-state amplifiers, but most of it is second-order, which is quite musical. That's why it's called "harmonic" distortion.

Second-harmonic distortion is exactly the same note, an octave above. Ditto for higher-order even harmonics; they are also the same note more octaves above.

Even-order harmonic distortion can be so pleasant that back in the 1970s the Aphex Aural Exciter was very popular in recording and broadcast specifically because it was designed to generate and add these harmonic distortions! You can still buy it today.

kenrockwell.com/audio/why-tubes-sound-better.htm

Thanks for the good answer.

If you're gonna get a headphone to walk around with, isolation and comfort become super important. I don't think audio technical is great with that,althoufh I've never tried the M30x.

If it's any consolation switching from OTL amp + 650 to electrostats was like throwing cold water in my face, the lack of distortion was *so* clean sounding. Different sounds for different moods

who here fucks with vintage? just rebuilt the pads on these 1979 weedphones they sound pretty good for their age

Attached: hd420.jpg (4032x3024, 1.76M)

2000 ohm but 102db@1mw

Attached: hd414x.jpg (4032x3024, 2.3M)

First for END GAME

Attached: 858F4F45-601E-4C8D-8A69-755719789809.jpg (3563x2673, 1.52M)

Dunno about the 30s either (obviously), but the 20s are decent enough.
Isolation isn't as important to me as it could be, since I'm always kind of paranoid about not being able to hear things around me

What do they sound like? Are they super hollow sounding? That's been my experience with all the older headphones.

They look like something a fast food chain would give out in a happy meal lel

i've had good luck with old sennheisers and yamaha orthodynamics sounding more present. give them lots of power, let your ears adjust and don't constantly switch between modern and old phones *looking* for problems, replace the old crumbled/crushed pads
respect your elders kiddo

What’s blessing your ears right now, user?

Attached: AD24F484-5DAF-4FC1-B387-B6DC8E3D6CC8.jpg (3299x2951, 1.56M)

HE400s with my iFi micro BL

nice

Attached: 7475B836-45AB-4BF5-8B25-61945622775B.jpg (3414x2941, 1.59M)

hd420 + atom + xtrempro x1

Got a ZMF Auteur last week to compliment my HD800S. First of all the build quality of this thing is jaw dropping. You really do get a sense that this is a custom handmade product, kind of like a bespoke suit.

Compared to the HD800S, the Auteur has
>Much deeper and much more satisfying sub-bass
>More heft and control to the rest of the bass
>Elevated and wetter/sweeter mids (more second-order harmonic distortion?)
>A treble slightly less detailed but still ridiculously detailed
>Moderately more intimate soundstage (but still wider than most headphones)
>Slightly less instrument separation amongst instruments of the same type, perhaps a consequence of the wetter sound

My Auteurs exhibit slightly less detail retrieval than the HD800S but also sound less "dry". For relaxed, fun music listening, the Auteurs are now my go-to. For more analytical music listening, or when I'm feeling more excitable or energetic, or when I long for a vast soundstage, I'll fire up the HD800S.

More subjectively, the Auteurs definitely lend a more emotional experience to the music. The sound feels more organic, the bass feels deeper and more refined, the mids sweeter and more memorable. In short, the Auteurs feel like they are fuller and have more body than the HD800S. That said, I don't think anything will ever reach the overwhelmingly vast expanse of sheer jawdropping detail and soundstage and complexity of the HD800S. These are distinctly different beasts for different moods.

Attached: iBxuBA2_d.jpg (640x480, 36K)

For asmr the best thing I've used was the lcd2 and some other similar stuff. You want a big driver I guess with a strong seal, I use reveal eq with a shelf bass boost at 75hz. Feels like they're actually touching your ear

Attached: IMG_20190505_112235.jpg (3771x2767, 1.53M)

The TFZ X1. Can't beat the convenience, battery life and sound combination for $100.Ty based chifi.

pic related

Attached: 6fFKCekiRbG2SD4NoQas_PC.jpg (500x500, 17K)

>Feels like they're actually touching your ear
oWo
>MSRP $799
;_;

>let's boost that bass and murder the voice. nice plan.

You're retarded. Linear bass isn't neutral. Sub bass and even upper bass has to be louder than mods to be the same volume. You have no idea what you're talking about.
I don't know if I can really reccommend buying them if $700 is gonna kill you but I got them used for $500. I think even a he4xx with big and well sealing pads can produce the same effect.

Stax 009

Attached: 0B5E65B6-4350-42EC-A280-4818E8F936D0.jpg (4032x3024, 2.11M)

Coming from an HD58X this would be my logical upgrade correct?

just
buy
them

Attached: Electrostatic Audio Products.png (1000x357, 10K)

this but buy stax

Need a 100$< headset, any recs? Can be cheap or expensive, I'm just looking for the best price/performance ratio.

HD58X + a $5 standalone mic

Needs to be a headset, it's for a friend and I don't feel like changing their mind on the subject.

Also forgot to mention it has to be wireless, any help is appreciated

Just get a Cloud Flight and be done with it.
Doubt anyone else from here will help you.

Getting E-MU ebony cups to further mod my TH-X00 tomorrow
I know this is probably what autism looks like but I'm finding this audiofool hobby pretty exciting

what are some headphones that wont fall off (or break if they do) no matter what
current ones broke due to constant seizures.

Iem

arent good IEM's really expensive
also id prefer something wireless and under 300 eur
but i could sacrifice the wirless part if it means i can actually use them for more than 5 months.

based staxposters

>good IEM
no such thing

Stop replying to yourself chink.

Attached: 577d606.jpg (4128x3096, 1.19M)

Good tube amps sound neutral.

Attached: 7808587.jpg (1600x1200, 482K)

I'm using AKG K240 Studio headphones and have no complaints except that the cups are a little too small and hard.
How much money do I have to spend to get a significantly better overall experience?

it's true, the best tube amps are almost as good as a low grade solid state amp in terms of accuracy and neutrality

you don't have to decide between high quality audio and tubes, if you spend enough you can get tube amps that are perfectly average in terms of replicating what a solid state amp does

lol at your life right now

What's that amp?

>I have no idea what I'm talking about: The post

TSMR 3 PRO

I'm ashamed to share a keyboard with a shit taste audio incel

where did all these newfags come from?

what do you expect when a nostaxer made the OP

If you have this keyboard you have no taste.

I have the one with the numpad

ban schiit stacks

Keyboard fetishists manage to be worse than audiophiles ffs

based amir

What were all those brands he sells again?

>>Budget
About 500-600 bucks, less is better
>>Source
Fostex HP-BL4, Sansa Clip and sometimes straight from the mobo of a laptop, don't care if the sound is a bit degraded for the latter just has to be listenable.
>>Type of headphone
Over-ear
>>Open or closed
Don't care
>>Comfort level
As long as I can put it on my head for a few hours and my ears don't start bleeding I don't care
>>Sound signature
Dark or Vshaped with some subbass to it
>>Past headphones
Fidelio X2, TH-X00, RBH HP-2 bunch of other not worth mentioning ones

Specifically want a planar to see what the memes are all about, already taking a look at the brainwavz Alara, can't find any Takstar HF580B, haven't looked much into the Sendy Aiva

Topping and FiiO?

keep going

no

Which one Jow Forums??
>or should I look for hidden gems like superlux?

~50 euros
Realtek or soundblaster x-fi card
Over ear, closed
Comfort is unimportant
V shape or bassy. Non-muddy, thumping bass needed.
Superlux HD 662 EVO (perfect), thicc "studio" superlux (trash bass)

Attached: Untitled.png (852x1000, 3.26M)

Best closed on ear headphones under 100€?

Destroyed by reality

Attached: PlanarShit.png (2048x2400, 1.65M)

RME

I would buy stax if I didn't have to also buy another amp just for them and nothing else

buy stax

buy stax

stax lite

almost forgot Buy Stax

planars are absolute garbage, I can respect dynamics and I love electrostats but nobody who uses planars deserves to be alive

Based Zach

STFU Stax Chink

Attached: 1557264645758.jpg (1080x1080, 86K)

What’s listening to user?

Attached: D842718C-9CAB-436C-A0BF-20BA1A7B022C.jpg (3989x2599, 3.03M)

i did, waiting for them to arrive

Attached: _20190604_220829.jpg (592x195, 22K)

Lucky you!

Buy stax

Sick of my hd6xxs. Want to just throw it in the bin. What should I replace it with

based

Wait for it,

Stax. Buy Stax for the glory of the motherland.

Me? Currently enjoying these.

Attached: ECE19034-81AD-46FE-B969-D89379BC7F80.jpg (3039x2027, 978K)

HD600

Good point, why don’t they just buy stax? In 2019 under Trump’s admin how is it possible to be such a poorfag.