Router recommendations

Searched catalog, didn't get any results.
I will be moving soonish and with that I can also upgrade to fiber Internet.

I really need to get a new router and haven't kept up at all, the last router I bought was pic related and while it still refuses to die it is time to upgrade.
I was running dd-wrt, what router and software would you Jow Forumsuys recommend nowadays? I'm also interested in qos and/or traffic shaping, since I could share the Internet access and costs with a workmate who will be living in the flat next door.

Attached: Linksys_wrt54gl_front_mini.jpg (300x300, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Home_router
youtu.be/ledv33t6SNE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>since I could share the Internet access and costs with a workmate who will be living in the flat next door
how much of a poor faggot do you have to be to not even be able to afford an internet connection without having to share it with someone? like seriously, that would just piss me the fuck off. I still use a WRT54G with dd-wrt.

I can afford it on my own, the point is by slashing the costs in half it's reasonable to go for a much higher bandwidth. 300 MBit costs about 80€ in my backwater country.

Also I get some money for internet access from my work, as does he since we have to remote from home from time to time. Sharing 300 MBit makes it practically free.

Moved from wrt54gsv1@tomato to Mikrotik, no regrets but maybe it's little bit too much if you're just regular user.

But wrt54 maxes out at ~10mbit with lots of connections, even before if you try to implement any kind of qos.

build your own and slap pfSense on it. infinitely upgradeable and costs as much as you want it to.

that's only if you have to share it with a bunch of retards. mine is comfy af, no lag, just werks even for gaming in 2019

It was honestly running mostly fine with ~16mbit downstream, it was in use back at my family home where there would 1 PC. 2 laptops, 3 phones and a set-top streaming box sucking up traffic at worst.

Nowadays the streaming shit is struggling with the limited bandwidth mostly.

This:

Buy any router that can run OpenWRT or do as said. I haven't done it myself but I'm wondering if it's possible to get a more powerful wireless signal by using some chinkshit antenna? Because AFAIK the consumer routers are regulated nowadays so you can't do like in the old days and flash DD-WRT and then up the signal strength. You can also install Gentoo if you want :^) wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Home_router

Online games require very little bandwidth. You could probably get away with a 56K connection as long as the latency is low.

Whatever is cheap, runs OpenWRT without too many issues,has 2.4 and 5ghz for wifi and gigabit Ethernet.
I use an Archer C60 currently but it lacks gigabit Ethernet.

>he still only has 50Mbit
ahahahahahaha

I've fallen for the mesh router meme with Asus

Then I realized the whole setup goes offline whenever my third world intrawebs acts up or sometimes just at random intervals, even when wired and even at wired AP mode

Shall I now bite at the Ubiquiti meme or should I just forget about mesh meme altogether?

your electricity is shite

Why electricity?

I don't remember the last time I had a power outage

because your shit keeps cutting out for no reason, and that's not how electricity works, you can still have fucking shit power without it going out for various reasons.
hook your shit up with a cable and see if it works or not then consider an UPS

Mikrotik or Ubiquiti seriously what else to buy

Just read the specs of the router you're buying and look at the OpenWRT wiki. Mikrotik and Ubiquiti are just overpriced enterprise garbage with proprietary systems. You can do ANYTHING those systems can do as long as you aren't fucking retarded and know how to pick a router with proper specs.

also, just fucking RMA it if it doesnt work, retard

I live in a rural area, 25mbit is the max so it makes no difference if the router can't output faster than 50mbit on wifi

>backwater country
>fiber
based

How though? A retard-proof tutorial would be more than welcome. I know how to program but I've never done anything on the hardware side of things.

considering he said flat he's probably british, which means he's poor as fuck. americans don't understand how much lower salaries are in europe.

Americans don't understand shit outside American urban life, honestly.

>Mikrotik and Ubiquiti are just overpriced enterprise garbage

Mikrotik for routing, Ubiquiti for AP.

Attached: OEG.png (990x306, 70K)

anons what about a modem?
i don't want to use the isp's modem or rent it
please help

No one knows what modems are whitelisted on your ISP you dumb fuck.

it's not complicated at all. take old desktop, slap network cards in, install.
here's a tutorial if you need it: youtu.be/ledv33t6SNE

LibreCMC is the best router OS right now.
OpenWrt and dd-wrt suck.

mikrotik hap ac2

Zyxel NBG 6617, runs snapshot OpenWRT flawlessly, 802.11 n+ac, gigabit Ethernet, semi-normal price. I use it 6 months already, works like a champ

Why is it that Jow Forums shills building your own PC so much but not building your own router? They're just as easy to do as each other.

>mikrotik hap ac2
Not wrong.

Attached: imok.jpg (480x360, 15K)

>What is being able to use whatever device you want to access the internet via PPoE
Not my fault your ISP sucks.

Can you provide a sample build with a wireless access point?

Is there any good use for an old wireless G router? If it connects to an N network, it slows the network down.

I don't want to. Why would I want to do that even if I could be bothered?

>Being limited by PPPOE gateway overhead.
Any ISP FIber worth a damn sure as hell won't be using PPPOE.
Stupid DSL and cable plebs

get the Mikrotik

>Ubiquiti for AP
tp-link for AP is good too

I used to think that TP-Link was pretty decent for the price.

Then I got 300Mbps fiber and my "gigabit" router could only hit around 250Mbps Wan to Lan throughput.

the absolute basic shit you can buy now is an archer c50 v3

Why is it time to upgrade? A WRT54GS v3 has enough flash memory to run even the heaviest and most modern installations of DD-WRT, OpenWRT, or Tomato.

Unless you absolutely need AC or 5GHz, you're good for a while.

I used to use the WRT54G with dd-wrt until it absolutely bricked
Then I got the Netgear AC1900 and realized how much bandwidth I was missing

DD-WRT has become a bloated unmanageable mess.
Dynamic DNS hasn't worked since around 2011 on my routers and every other version soft bricks it.
OpenWRT just doesn't have as much compatibility for routers and packages packages, packages. Resulting in needing a large memory space to get decent functionality out of it, it's also dropped support for 2 of my routers recently.

Which is why my main router is now running Asus Merlin.
I never knew how much I needed a dual core AC gigabit router with 256mb until I got one. This was coming from a 802.11N dual band gigabit router with Atheros AR7161 @680mhz, RTL8366SR switch and 64mb ram which I used from 2008 to 2018, it's still my backup router.

Currently using 126mb ram. Only time will tell if this router can last me 10 years before I need to upgrade to AX or wifi 6 or what ever shit they are calling wifi these days.
I still want to obtain a cheap MTK router to tinker with though.

RT-AC66U+ (rev B) is my current no fuss router recommendation to normies that have the budget, got the same hardware as the RT-AC68U so an easy webgui flash is all that's needed for a stable no fuss experience that has all the AiCLoud QOS, VPN options that a normie could ever want along with samba n shit, also will take 500Mbps+ like a champ (good for up to 750~850Mbps ish depending on what you have enabled.)

For cheap shit, I'd just recommend some TP-Link that has OpenWRT support that fits their budget.
For faggots that want a $10~20 USD router, I just recommend a TP-Link Archer C20, sure it doesn't have Gigabit, but it's got 750Mbps AC dual band wifi a MTK CPU, 8/64mb ram/flash has a USB port and even supports OpenWRT, good for up to 100Mbps internet. What more do you want out of a $20 USD router?