"I like linux because I like having full control of my system"

>"I like linux because I like having full control of my system"
>*drives an automatic*
explain yourselves

Attached: how-an-automatic-transmission-works.jpg (849x565, 472K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=0C7qjmHvmTc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That is the interior of a 2003 Subaru Forester.

>"I like Mac because I like everything being spoonfed to me, as I have an IQ below 15"
>*drives manual*

daily reminder that it is literally IMPOSSIBLE to be white if you're not driving manual and using GNU/Linux

user, deprecated technology is for blacks
whites make improved technology for other whites

Having control isn't the same as doing things manually.
Automatic gearbox is fine assuming you can tweak the gear shifts in a configuration file.

Manual is quiet nice desu, automatic breaks more often

how's life in 1996?

Configuration file in a gearbox, oh no no no.
I see what analogy you are going for, but still oh nononon

I don't understand why these threads get made. Is it a burgerland thing? You assume things and stuff words into other users' mouths and tack on the "explain yourself"/"you have x time-units to explain" sentence. Do you think this is funny? Do you enjoy the replies you get? Why don't you make a more interesting contribution to the board? I see so much of the same format of posts being repeatedly spammed here. We have this exact template every day at least all 4-5 times I check the board. Mods should be banning this and jannies should be removing them.

Also 5 idiots replied while I typed this. What's wrong with you? Stop it.

Column shifters automatics and bench seats are pretty good actually.

you forgot the part about having a black bull

But I do drive manual even as an American.

Wrong. It's a fourth gen Legacy/Outback.

?
More like in europe where manual is like 96% of cars

not comparable, even with a manual you have nowhere near the same control over your car. in the same way, having control over things in linux doesn't mean having to actively do it every time. a better comparison would be a car that allows you to tune the gear shifts in your car so that you can decide whether you want to be at the peak powerband or at better fuel efficiency. and yes, I would prefer that to having everything locked by the manufacturer. I would also prefer being able to update my infotainment myself, and to customize my dash. very, very, low IQ comparison OP.

I drive a 1999 2dr Toyota Tacoma 5 speed manual transmission.
Suck.
My.
Cock.

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=0C7qjmHvmTc

I don't own a car.
> Imagine paying for a metal wheeled jew

yea most euros couldn't afford automatics so they caught on a lot slower and are mostly on expensive cars. that's changing though, and automatics are finally starting to catch on in europe.

I use Windows and an automatic because I like to make life easy for myself

But what it I made my own firmware for automatic?

My parents bought me an old automatic Camry, don't feel like buying another car just to have a manual transmission.
It would have to be new too, stupid kids absolutely trash their manual shitboxes and then try to put a ricer tax on it.
My last manual car had exhaust and EVAP system leaks stemming from the engine ROCKING in place due to busted transmission and engine mounts which, in turn, were caused by the previous owner driving like a shithead, dropping the clutch and downshifting aggressively.

Attached: 1559805218649.jpg (1280x720, 105K)

>stupid kids absolutely trash their manual shitboxes and then try to put a ricer tax on it.
it really depends on the car

I drive manual and have been back on Windows since a few months.

but i do drive a manual

I drive manual.

Ironically enough, aren't manuals generally more expensive in the States?

I drive manual but I work on Windows

driving standard makes driving more of a pain then

yes. all things equal, manuals are a few thousand cheaper than automatics. but due to the logistics of mass production and the fact that manual demand has disappeared in many countries, manuals are now a specialty option and cost more. in europe manuals are still cheaper, and if you rent or buy a cheap car it will be a 0.1 L manual. more expensive cars will be offered in automatic.

Every intersection in my town is has a stop sign, so you're essentially stopping every 20 feet. There is no chance for a manual to even be useful. I will pay 3$ more in gas every 2 weeks for the ease of driving an automatic and will be happier for it. I don't need my car to go fast, I need it to take me from point A to point B and look semi-good while doing it.

seethe more, europoor. atleast we have culture

automatics get better mpg than manuals these days btw

it's more like:
>"I like Linux because I like having a system that's not stuffed full of botnet"
>drive a 20-year-old car because new cars all have an integrated smartphone spying on me through the telescreen in the console

I want a manual Jeep Gladiator, but my automatic car is still efficient and low mileage.

>atleast we have culture
you sure do

jeeps are for girls and suburban moms, super girly car

I think you mean Legacy/SteakHouse

I have a bike

They don't.
4-gang didn't. 6-gang didn't. And current 10 gang abominations still don't get manual MPG in real conditions.
CVTs are another story, as well as DSG, they for some unknown reason can make same MPG as manual.

Also, why the fuck I never can rent a manual? Every fucking time they are out of them. Even in Europe...

americans have such powerful and widespread culture that the entire world has adopted it. you listen to american music, wear american clothes like jeans and tshirts, and rely on american technology all day every day, including right now as you read this.

nope. you're over a decade out of date. automatics vastly outperform manuals in mpg and also in acceleration times. if you spend even 2 minutes looking into it it's pretty obvious these days.

Is this a troll?

Attached: Jeep-Gladiator-1-1024x576.jpg (1024x576, 40K)

absolutely not. if you think jeeps are anything but girl cars you should go into a dealer and look at who is buying them. jeeps are the most female-slanted brand there is right now.

>my car is an 88

Attached: 9dNsaI9TyuG6X7eI7AKnq09Nd55-LJrusB-dHMhebeU.jpg (537x767, 53K)

shut up nigger

>mpg
They only do this on paper.
>acceleration
I didn't check. Next time I will travel to some shithole.

My guess is that CVTs offer better gear ratio, and it outweights all losses in belt, oil pumps and torque converter, while DSG doesn't require much oil pressure to shift, and doesn't have massive with with oil spinning. Afaik modern DSGs use electric pumps, but don't quote me on that.

>stupid kids absolutely trash their manual shitboxes
people in general, manual and automatic drivers of all ages, trash their cars these days, because they drive like fucking maniacs. They always accelerate hard and brake hard at every single fucking opportunity.

You know what would be better than emissions regulations? A very tight cap on the maximum acceleration of any road-legal car, set at like 0-60 in 15 seconds. So even when retards floor it at every single traffic light, they can't actually put mush of a load on the engine or transmission.

you're completely out of touch. if you think manuals give better mpg than auto you have no idea about modern cars at all. it doesn't really matter what you "guess." autos have been outperforming manuals in every single way due to increased efficiencies and the ability to lock into peak efficiency on the power band. it's not just cvts.

I don't think it is quite that number anymore. Automatics have increased in number by a lot. Which makes sense depending on where you live. This country is pretty much one big traffic jam.

you are supposed to upshift or downshift at specific times. it's not about control.
the only advantage manual has over auto is reliability as many automatic cars can shift faster than a skilled driver with manual

Only reason manuals are still relevant in Europe is because they make you take the test in a manual or you'll get a huge automatic only restriction on your license.

>reliability
I think a manual transmission is cheaper to repair if it does break, also

hahaha

Nah, 10 gears aint enough to compensate extra spinning weight of oil.
In case of CVT, that is enough, since it can any gear in range.
On highway, gears don't matter at all, since all transmissions sit in highest gear, which tend to be identical. But if you consider that automatic has more stuff, like oil pump, electronics, and fucking toque converter with fuckton of oil in it, this amount of energy could be saved on something useful, like AC.

>"I use arch linux because I like to pretend it impresses people"
>drives manual

>"I use Ubuntu because it just werks"
>drives automatic

that's not an issue if you intend to buy an automatic though. don't think i follow that reasoning.

>i ride the commie-rail to get places

>this is better

seems better to me, actually.

not really. burgers don't seem to understand that city cars are not the majority of car sales because they fucking suck on the motorway.

small displacement, sure but most rentals are cuckovers and normal size hatches

>96% of cars
lol no
t. German

I drive a manual, fucktard. Gets better mileage, is cheaper, and desu just feels better to drive

I don't get this meme, I drove automatic cars for years and it took me like 30 minutes to learn to drive a manual car, it's literally one of the easiest things to learn.

being entirely dependent on a method of transport with constant delays that is outsourced to da jooz (e.g. GWR) and massively overpriced

>this is better than a car which you own, maintain and control the direction of

who aren't you quoting?
really, who said learning to drive manual was hard?

how do you like it?

Is that actually a virtue of it being a manual, or just being old with less planned obsolescence?

arch fags use their operating system as a hobby. car enthusiasts drive manual for the same reason.

however, manuals are cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, have less frequent servicing and cost less to replace when they do blow up. thus, the manual is also the "just werks" option.

the person who uses an auto because they don't really care would never use ubuntu. This is because the software options for office and gaming are shit (aka, the only things normies do with a pc other than the internet), and so obviously they would use windows.

>The average monthly car loan payment in the U.S. was $530 for new vehicles and $381 for used ones originated in the third quarter of 2018, according to credit reporting agency Experian. The average lease payment was $430.
inb4 'what are you, poor?'

This image gives me stress.

>amerifats will never know the joy of executing a perfect rev-matched downshift in order to perform a quick and efficient overtake
I pity autotragic "drivers", might as well just go full autonomous at that point.

>proprietary firmware on his car's embedded system
why are you a hypocrite?

I've personally never driven a manual. I would like to have one someday, maybe. Don't you have to replace clutches, though?

Personally I use both windows and ubuntu. I prefer ubuntu, but mah gamez and programs.

>public transport
>in the US

there is no argument for this unless you live in NYC. at that point it isn't a question of what is better, its what is available.

do you hand crank your engine to start it? or do you use a starter motor?

I can name so many people that have died from car accidents, including friends and family. People drive like retards constantly. Bring on the autonomous revolution, please.

That's not to mention all the legal trouble everyone gets in while driving, DUI, speeding, fender benders, lawsuits, ad nauseum.

Plus, autonomous allows for easy ridesharing.

it's really not that hard. even if you're a mouthbreathing retard it will be fine.

when i was learning to drive, the instructor told me that he had gone through a clutch every 50k miles (and this is a car that is being stalled and its pressure plate burnt to shit all day).

>public transport is for commies
>public transport is overly expensive and run by jews
>there's no such thing as public transport
Do everyone a favor and try and be consistent instead of constantly changing your story in a pathetic attempt to win the argument.

>a process known to literally break people's arms

i think this is a fair concession to make

I'd be in favour of making regulations forcing anyone who has caused a car accident or has penalty points for DUI etc to switch to autonomous only cars when they come around. Means a significant portion of the retards will be taken out of the equation leaving manual driving to only those who can handle it.

>ridesharing
I want no part of this. the whole point of cars is so that you don't have to share the vehicle with anyone else.

Yeah, fair enough, but if you could pay $20 a month for ridesharing up to 10k miles? Everything is about cost to benefit.

you mentioned a dollar value and in the US, the public transport infrastructure is non-existent, hence it was a fair assumption (before this comment) that you lived somewhere with prevalent public transport (e.g. Europe)

Prior to this, I was talking about the UK, where its extremely prevalent and yet is still shit.

nigga I don't care what currency you use

>not an argument

>nigga
>american
ok that explains it, you just can't afford a car

Everyone saying it

It's cool for track day and hitting the highway, I have a manual car and and an automatic, for commuting to work I just drive the automatic.

a car is basically a requirement for burgers. public transportation is comically bad and only used by poor people

In Europe only some women, disabled, and really old people drive automatic cars. I guess Americans check all the boxes.

yes, that's what i said. I was then called inconsistent for this view

Automatic transmissions have come so far they're vastly superior to manual in every single metric except maybe longevity. And that also comes down to how good you are at driving said manual. The ONLY thing manual is good for is truck driving, towing a trailer, and cruising in a sports car/weekend car. Auto is superior in everything else.

So yes, actually manual is almost exactly like Linux. Only excels at specific tasks, and is too much of a hassle for daily use.

>you just can't afford a car
see Just, try and work on yourself, man. Try and clean up your thought processes, maybe try meditating. I'm only trying to help. Good luck with your life.

what you're referring to as outback, is in fact, legacy/outback

europeans who have never had to share public transit with blacks or human scuum don't understand why americans are so dead-set against public transit. if you have a wealthy white society ok sure transit can be great. but go take the bus on some more desperate routes in europe and you'll get it. there was a thread about it on /n/ for a while with a lot of europeans coming around but the mods didn't like it.

In fact you can't get a license if don't drive manual. "Driving" an automatic car is not really driving.

checkmate

I don't particularly like or dislike linux.

I had to use it for a college course and it booted in 5 seconds flat on my laptop while windows 10 took about 2 minutes (even after a complete reinstall).

I got used to it and now with all the privacy and virus shit around, I decided to stick with it and it eventually grew on me.

I'm older and gaming isn't as important to me so I dont really give a crap about that. Steam works on ubuntu and I can play decent games on it and that's good enough for me.

why can they not make an automatic that doesn't do that obnoxious shit where it wants to creep forward as soon as you let off the brake?

All you racists should go live on the moon. Of Saturn. 'Bye Felicia', you're not wanted anywhere on or near this planet.

Cars have auto stop/start now that kill the engine when you're stopped. Puts stress on the motor and starter though so I disable it every time I get in my car. And I don't know how that's "obnoxious". A manual does the exact same thing unless you hold in the clutch. You're just holding a different pedal down.