/fglt/ - Friendly GNU plus Linux thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium/

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: #

Previous thread:

Attached: year of the gnu+linux desktop anime version (low quality, no sound).webm (427x240, 2.99M)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mifi/lossless-cut
gnupluslinux.com/
help.ubuntu.com/community/Metalink
linuxreviews.org/Kdenlive_video_editor_version_19.04.2_released
aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-amd-wip-git/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I hate niggers

Attached: 1523799037630.jpg (848x865, 131K)

this show is so overrated
the yandere bitch was okay though

I've used this for years github.com/mifi/lossless-cut but it does not support x265 and i've stated recording in it for better compression at lower bitrates.
Is there a program that is just as basic and featureless as lossless-cut? I need "normal cut" support, meaning when i cut the video it dosent seek back or forward by k frames and get parts of the video i do not want.
I've tried avidemux but it dosent support "normal cut" only key frame cut, and it also likes to desync the audio.
Thanks

What's the problem? Was the plot too deep for you?

no fuck you

base pille

Attached: 1556940844096.jpg (300x325, 70K)

Source on OP:
gnupluslinux.com/

Attached: 1538019064662.jpg (2560x1440, 1.11M)

Best linux distro for gaming?

Attached: 1.jpg (1024x1024, 35K)

the one i'm using

Daily reminder that you should use Guix System Distribuion
>functional package manager(in Lisp(!))
>System-wide configuration(in Lisp(!))
>Atomic system, can rollback after breakage
>The Jow ForumsNU distro, uses linux-libre(the uncuckes version of linus) and a Hurd GuixSD is in development
>You can configure your system in Lisp!!!

nice meme

This is a friendly thread. Get out.

Hello I was trying to set up mpd/ncmpcpp to play audio over lan last night and couldnt get it to work
I just did this and now the songs play but have no audio

Rather than connecting to a remove pulseaudio server just set up a streaming output of mpd and connect to that with any media player software that can play network streams (mpv, vlc, browsers etc).

I can try that. Would I be able to locally control playlists etc?

>locally
Define locally. From the mpd server computer of from the one you hear the music from?

I have my media library on my nas and want to listen to it on my laptop.
From the client, laptop, I would like to control playing music from the server and hearing it on my laptop.

Enable network control in mpd then connect to it using one of the many clients available.

But dnf just werks

Attached: 9e305b67ec259cec.jpg (640x475, 44K)

FUCK LINUX

you wish, BSD-licensed white boi.

I WISH I COULD

Anyone who tried out unpopular/obscure distros here? I recently discovered a distro called ataraxia linux but am reluctant on trying it out.

How to use Metalink downloads on linux? I can't find a client.

Isnt that what im doing with ncmpcpp
What do you mean exactly

Install Udindu.

they dont have a logo

Use a VM first.

help.ubuntu.com/community/Metalink

How do I figure out which browser to use?
At the moment, I use vanilla Chrome, but would definitely be open to using something else, just to spice things up.
Similarly, I have a few benchmarking utilities that don't have native Linux versions. What're some good Linux benchmarking software? I'm fine with whatever, as long as it's not autistically varying like some of the software on Windows desu
Also, is there a program I could use to search for, and listen to things on Spotify & YouTube? Even if just Spotify, I just like having shit playing in the background, I swear I have tinnitus or some shit.

for browsers, spyware.neocities.org has a decent selection of browser reviews (and glow mitigation guides)
idk about that other nonsense

Awnn. Someone posted my meme.

FUCK GNU/TRANNIES
FUCK PRIDE MONTH

>You can configure your system in Lisp!!!
God help us all.

there is no god
only the REPL

secret
alien
technology

Attached: 1558293319588.png (400x400, 191K)

based

baste

upboated

based and repilled

What's the easiest way to remove a Linux dualboot partition? I.e. to give more space to the other partition.
No-one has been able to answer this question.

based

1. download a live distro with gui. ubuntu, debian, gparted live, similar. which one doesn't matter
2. put it on USB, boot from that USB
3. run gparted from the live system to do your partition operations.

chad

based

Where did tranny touch you? Show me.

What distro would my wife Ringo-chan use?

Attached: 1541665989574.jpg (650x599, 252K)

godpilled

>spend years grinding linux
>everything is always a chore
Im tired anons. Its been a decade and its still a grind every day to get anything done. All I want is for this shit to be done so I can go outside and do something else.

unupdated windows 7.

Linux is pretty unusable.

Please be gentle. I have a basic grasp on pc building and I'm slowly learning.

So I'm building a dirt cheap pc before I go to college. I got a free case, motherboard, and power supply from my mom's boss, which I combined with my old 1.5tb hard drive and 16gb ram from my old PC. I also got a 60gb SSD with which I'm running Mint. I know I'm going to replace the board because it was pretty crap when it was new (msi ms-7597 ver 1.2). I'm not getting anything super special because I'm going to be mostly using it for school work.

For some reason, this is acting really weird. Sometimes the whole thing locks up and either turns everything upside down at random, or I get this fuzzy screen like pic related. Does this sound like software or hardware issues?

Attached: 20190607_133439.jpg (4128x2322, 2.52M)

It's happening.
linuxreviews.org/Kdenlive_video_editor_version_19.04.2_released
congratulations team KDE

this has nothing to do with fglt. Fuck off back to sqt.

Hardware, gpu is dead. If it's an onboard gpu one of the ram sticks may be bad.
But it's probably the gpu. Find a cheap used one.

It sounds like some kind of hardware issue if it happens randomly. But there is one way to rule it out, try another OS for a week and see if it's an issue with that too. I don't exactly want to promote the Windows but it's free now (with a "activate windows" text on the wallpaper) and it's a pretty simple way to rule of if it's Linux-related or hardware-related. I am guessing something similar will happen in Windows too, that kind of looks like a bad GPU with a fan that doesn't spin so it overheats or something like that.

She's using Linux Mint. That's Friendly Linux Thread related. Your post appears to be less relevant since it is, objectively speaking, not very friendly.

samefag

Which .rpm distro should I use for general desktop stuff? Fedora, OpenSUSE, CentOS, or Mageia?

Opensuse but Centos is not bad and it redeives updates for 10+3 years.

Also, Opensuse’s KDE is without match in terms of polishment if you are into that.

Attached: output.webm (1280x720, 299K)

lol

I know your answer will be biased but...
Is it worth it to install Linux/Gnu on a thousand dollar laptop with GTX 1050 graphics card?
I don't play videogames but use Blender so I want to use my graphics card at full capacity.

GNU/Linux*

yes.
proprietary nvidia drivers are quite decent (assuming you won't use a fuctarded/hipster distro).

the 1050 isnt exactly a powerhouse and if its a mobile version like your processor is then itll be gimped like your processor is.
If you have real work to do then get a desktop.
As far as I know, blender runs just fine on windows, and it seems like I remember it running better on windows because the installation is going to be complete and exact unlike how on linux theres a million variations of the install process.

Why is switching to linux for blender even a thought for you?

bad post

Help

Why not just use ffmpeg? With the "copy" codec you get lossless cuts. Although it cuts on keyframes so it's not exact.
Then if you want exact cuts you just specify the codec.

Cause i dont want to type out a billion commands that are 1000+ char to cut 50 segments of a 10 hour long video. Its not feasible to use the command line. If i have to view the video to find the timestamps why would i not just using a fucking gui instead of typing out the commands in the clii? Asinine
I REQUIRE non keyframe cuts, which lossless-cut provides and kdenlive,avidemux/literally everything else cannot handle for some reason

Linux is just a kernel. Please show respect to the operating systems original creators, the GNU project, and call the system by its given name.

Gnu is a toolset for the linux kernel. Please show respect for real developers and call it what it is.

>arguing with wintards

Gnu is a toolset and linux is just a kernel, please show some respect to the people who actually made the OS you're using and call it by it's given name, whether it is Debian, Fedora, Arch, Gentoo, etc.

Your logic:
>GNU developed tools for Linux in 1983, 8 years before Linux was even an idea
Doesn't match up, huh?

>Stop calling Debian "Ubuntu"

Attached: 1537146627597.jpg (537x472, 48K)

Who the fuck does that?

how can i use gparted to create a media drive on my terabite hd so i can reinstall my OS without redownloading all my media (400 GB)

shit question kys

Anyone here get flameshot to work on Gentoo? I've been trying to install it for weeks...

Attached: 60627803.jpg (600x400, 36K)

it requires Qt5. look up on how to compile stuff that requires qt5 and qmake on the gentoo wiki

I just downloaded, compiled, installed and used it, all on the first try.

idk what in the name of fuck you are doing but damn brul you are doing it wrong.

based AND redpilled

Bi-centennial reminder to backup your shit
+ use unlink instead of rm for deleting symbolic links

just recovered from a rm -rf ~ through stray links lol xD

lol xD
so loco mi amigo
elaborate on that topic please

get out

motherfucker you are the opposite of friendly

like seriously it'll help me reinstall my debian. i need to get this kivy to work for an app i have due and i want to use linux for this.

well you might be tempted to write rm -r link/ to delete a link to a directory, but it actually deletes the contents at the target

rm link will work, but unlink is "safer" i guess lol xD

you didn't explain shit. at least show how the partitions are now and how you want them to be.
it will either be just dragging and double clicking stuff on gparted or impossible.

Is Opensuse the best distro for a AMD setup?

they are all the same

I'm using Flatpak for the first time(testing in a VM running OpenSuse). When I update my system using apt/dnf/zypper or whatever, the flatpak programs will update too?

i have a 1 tb file with a linux install that got fucked. it has 300 gigs of media i don't want to back up.

i want to repartition my hd so i have a 400 gig section that's separate from the main drive, so i can reinstall the os on the main drive and keep the media on the seperate drive accessable from the new os.

oh boy do I have a kernel 4 u
aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-amd-wip-git/

when my computer is running linux and not wangblows

Attached: 53697461.jpg (600x600, 39K)

well memed but in the end the botnet won :(

what?

When will pope stallman call a crusade against the wintards?