What are the biggest technological disappointments for you?

Attached: 1559939832592.gif (291x348, 1.69M)

Other urls found in this thread:

makeuseof.com/tag/ditch-your-desktop-turn-your-smartphone-into-a-desktop-replacement/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

sex bots

(most) Social media. I think society would be much better off without Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc.

I'd just like to say that Explaining Computers is a fucking fantastic channel

It's actually funny. Years ago, normies laughed about nerds for spending so much time in front of the screen and only being able to socialize online and not in person.
Fast forward two decades and they themselves turned into everything they laughed about back then

Attached: GNU_and_Tux.svg.png (1920x1344, 412K)

everything. wheres my neural interface jacks, wheres my cyberdecks, where are my genetically engineered catgirl GF for head pats and being loved?

>neural interface
in the light of all the shit that happens, you really want this?

the william gibson/shadowrun kind, yes. the cyberpunk 2020-2070/GITS kind no.

The trend towards internet internet monoliths like Facebook, Twitter, Reddit etc

Originally I expected them to coexist with the other decentralized parts of the internet, but as time passed they basically became the internet and are suffocating anything else that lies beneath their sheer size.

The proliferation of an OS as shit as Windows.

The internet as a whole. What started as a neat military project has spun into the grounds of a surveilance state and so much feeds into it including smartphones, social media, and the government itself. Data mongers will stop at nothing to grab every piece they can about you and use it against your will in the name of profit. Trying to stay away just cuts you off from too many services that have migrated to it and cut off their other end points in the name of cutting costs.

Attached: 1401134140897.jpg (500x378, 74K)

Still no fusion power plants.
AI still not that great.
VR still not that great.

C-Section
It allowed me to live

I have some assumption about this.
Does/did your mom like you/cared for you well or at least normally?

Whatever goverment is using to implements its slowly creeping fascism both in cyber-space and in meat-space.

I use twitter as news aggregator.
When i used fb was only time i managed to get gf.
I guess my net gain from social media is positive.

Shoe sized fusion reactors

based

bluetooth audio
You'd think the quality would be a lot better considering how hard they're pushing this meme

linsucks

FOSS software in general. Either the devs get fat heads and sabotage their own project until someone forks it and makes a better version only for the cycle to repeat, or the devs get bored and the software goes unfinished and unupdated forever. You can count on your hands the number of FOSS projects that have been consistently the best option for five or more years.

I would also have to say vr and it's not because it doesn't have the potential, it's the developers who fucking ignored it for the most part. yea you can experience some cool 360 videos but most of them are low quality and you would just think there would be more content but it's being ignored, the same with vr games. too gimmicky when it doesn't have to be gimmicky. it has its place but it's not being used for its potential, which is experiencing things.

what are my biggest tech hopes? 3d printing, now that's totally not a gimmick. I got one thinking it would end up like my vive but it's being used almost daily and the results are pretty mind blowing once you have it all dialed in.

Most software, hardware, protocols, standards and conventions.

They always do, tabletop games, TV, video games, movies, books, everything was once an outsider past time before normies well, normalized it.

Not him but my Mom had a c-section and she still loves my brother the same I think. Granted though he was a twin as well, but women’s minds see a baby and they go into mother mode. I’m not sure if it’s reliant on the baby being born traditionally or not as long as she deems it her flesh and blood.

Vr and crypto

Kinda out of the loop, what do normies laugh about right now and will therefore be their thing in the near future?

Attached: 1443377493566.gif (250x141, 1.77M)

You could say the same about Prakesh's Disk Imager 3000 Trial Edition. The fact that people pay this close attention to FOSS projects in the first place says to me that they're better.

easily 3d printing. when you are so excited about whatever you are printing and you decide to tell someone who doesn't know anything about it, they look at you as if you're weird. they don't realize that in 20 to 30 years they'll be printing clothes shoes and furniture from the comfort of their home. yea it's going to become that big of a deal so it's easy to see how people will look at you weird now for spending maybe a little too much time on.

based birb

The progress of 3d printing has halted a few years back. At least printers for home use. I don't see how it would progress from this point.

That's a bunch of baloney, at the most you're going to have "custom item" shops that make stuff on an expensive printer. This vision of a "home printer" that kickstarters used to push isn't practical. It's like owning a CNC router, laser cutter or a lathe - very handy for the home shop but not everybody needs one. A printer is only useful when you can design parts yourself, all the normies already bought one, printed some chotchkies from thingiverse and got bored.

Also nobody has looked at me funny when i tell them about printing stuff, they've all been impressed by what's possible nowadays.

Free Software

It has become way more affordable for the average person compared to just a few years ago. You can buy one that produces above average prints for less than $150 shipped right now like a refurb ender 3 and decorate your house for cents on the dollar with shit that you would have paid 10x the cost from amazon for example. On the higher end they have SLA and SLS printers which cost a small fortune but that too will eventually drop down in price. If we are talking about long term, 3d printing is going to change society if we allow it to, medically speaking and just having a roof over your head, they will print houses in the future and will finally put an end to these ridiculous prices for homes. Again this might never happen but I do see some spark there more so than a lot of tech currently.

Normies wouldn't even know how to level the bed much less configure all the settings for a good print, stop lying.

Smartphones.
Really, when they first came out I was all exited about it, it was the best thing ever, I would never imagine smartphones would become the piece of shit they are today.
Nowadays I really hate smartphones every time more, they are the most obnoxious piece of bad technology where every normie spends all their money on a piece of shit crap with glass screen, unremovable battery and no updates and has to replace it every few months.
I always thought that eventually smartphones would become like PCs and have some sure of BIOS where you can boot your favorite smartphone OS installer from SD card ending the problem of noupdates and market segmentation, but wait smartphones don't even have SD card readers now, much less any standardization.

The worse of all is that smartphones bought what I call, service as software, aka an "apps" that are nothing but a front-end for an online service, but the online service instead of having a website you can normally open in any device the web service is only usable from a dedicated smartphone app,
And now it seems that it has come to the point where they can only use said service if they bought the right brand of smartphone.

That's my other point, it will become much easier in the future for normies. Go look at what Nike is doing with additive manufacturing, you can essentially print shoes now if you wanted to, they aren't %100 but I could see how 30 fucking years could change that and the rest of the anons here being the normies that user talked about.

the fact that the programming, user interfaces and privacy doesn't get better but worse over time, it's like all world programmers are replaced every 10 years to start over repeating the same fucking mistakes only worse.

Maybe VR. But it is, kinda, already here. Only some retrograds seem to push "screen strapped to your face" dismissive reasoning.

show me your last print faggot.

What's worse is that these smaller sites made in the old style seem entirely unconvincing and often come across more as a point being made than a genuine outpouring of creativity or love for a certain piece of media.

Pic related. It took 16 hours to print with about 75 cents worth of plastic. Now imagine if I could make the same thing but under 30 minutes, that's a huge game changer and I think that day will come eventually where we have the speed the accuracy and it being cheap. What's the point to buy these gimmicks from amazon when I can just have it printed to my liking. I have printed other stuff as well, VESA adapter, helmet, case for my phone, comb, etc.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (303x456, 31K)

The failure of the i960 and BiiN

At one time i pictured a type of docking station for your smartphone where you just snap it on and now you can use it as a normal PC with a monitor and mouse. Picture everything you could do on your PC in 2002 - the average smartphone of today is much more powerful than that in every aspect and yet you can do so little with it... Apart from the internet and GPS i use my smartphone the same way i used my cellphone in 2002

It doesn't help that software is so bloated today that it's likely even a PC made in 2002 is more capable than a smartphone when it comes to desktop usage.

I'm just getting so sick of it all. It's like everything about technology is a stream of betrayed promises and mistakes that people are rewarded for making.

I'm close to taking the Alan Moore pill and only using computers as a digital typewriter and throwing the rest of the ever-dwindling capabilities out the window.

Attached: alan-moore-computer.jpg (403x292, 14K)

Such thing exists. It is not widely available yet, but, at least, I heard about its development a lot. Quick google search: makeuseof.com/tag/ditch-your-desktop-turn-your-smartphone-into-a-desktop-replacement/

Yeah, I pretty much use my smartphone exclusively as music player (that can also stream music with newpipe) and as 3G router so I can get mobile internet on my laptop.
Actually my smartphone's primary function is one of a router.
I don't even have a voice plan on my smartphone's SIM card, I use a dumbphone for voice and SMS since battery is much more reliable on it.

I would only use it with a completely free Gentoo GNU/Linux system

And this is what I'm currently working on now.

Attached: 1559245836642.jpg (2160x3840, 2.09M)

enjoy virtually getting force-fed RMS's toenails

>twitter as news aggregator.
I hope you at least use TweetDeck, twatter is unusable for sorting any information and following more than a dozen of accs

why?

Nobody actually wants to decorate their house. We just like buying things. 3D printers don't scratch this itch - or any itch really - and are therefore doomed.

Someones paying me to have it printed for him. Larger and cheaper than the ones you find on amazon, for $30 you find one that is 10 to 15 inches tall when this is almost twice that.

And as a nerd, I keep trying to "withdraw" from IT-land into real life (or what's left of it).

IT-land has been too compromised by the rush of normies and real life is still a disappointing mess.

Recently i got woken up by a notification on my Sony phone at 2AM about "my movie being ready". I thought "what the hell is this", clicked on it - a slideshow started playing, of pictures from my camera folder, arranged to emotional music with text showing the dates they were taken on or "8 months ago..." . Most of the pictures were of things like wiring (i take pics before disassembing something when i'm repairing it), one was of a big spider i found, another of a mole at the back of my head i wanted to take a close look at. It was pretty funny when you think about how this was intended to be some sort of emotional piece for someone with selfies and pics of friends and travel sites on their phone, but also very black mirror-esque that some system app is always running as a service, looking through your photos in the background...

IoT probably.
Pretty much all of the modern technology like VR, AI, 3D printing, quantum computing is great and usually much better than I anticipated. However that one meme technology is just so stupid and pointless. It's like it was designed to be a buzzword and implements smart home idea is one of the worst way imaginable.

Attached: 1_lVfJFrxmv5WYXnfm7Tbf3A.png (1503x991, 150K)

nice

Same here. To some extent I became less of a nerd than my normie friends.

All I know is that I'm making money printing stuff for normies and at the same time using them to print covers and plugs for my deburr business. It's more than just a gimmick for me. It depends on how you use it like any tool, if you are going to make dildos to shove up your ass then yea its doomed, but if you are going to be productive about it you can accomplish a lot.

Anime. It's slowly crawling into mainstream.
It will either become new marvel with tons of life action "localized" movies and such, or UN/WHO will ban it early because muh cunnyphobia. At least this time they will have a chance since they've failed so many times to bad anime in Japan.

>not rising your power level so high even the nerdiest normies can't reach you

I watched his video on MDISCs the other day. Was alright.

The original question was:
>what do normies laugh about right now and will therefore be their thing in the near future?
3D printers will never be popular because normalfags do not get off on making their own things. They get off on buying shit from you.

That's crazy if it's true. I refuse to believe that. What is more likely is that they can't be bothered to put together the printer #1, #2 they don't want to or have time to research about it or have to deal with the software or the filament or the hundreds of other crap that can go wrong. In that case yea I agree but I refuse to believe they get a high by buying things off of me when if it were as easy as pressing print they would probably just do it. That's what 3d printing is right now, the majority of it is about dialing everything in perfectly, goodluck with that if the guy isn't even willing to try.

Why is anime now considered more mainstream than when Toonami was in it's heyday? And why do normalfags like moeblob trash more than anything else? And why won't the ironic weebs die?

that was surprisingly deep.

No fully automated gay luxury space communism. When economists and bankers are replaced by AI, the world will be pretty rad again.

3D printers will bring democracy to manufacturing in the near future. That's my last line and with that its late here so im going to sleep now bye.

I have a "normie" friend who spends all his money on anime-themed mobile games; the repetitive sort of game and plays them when out at the bar. Still manages to pick up grills somehow... (he looks like an anorexic, sickly skeleton from years of drug use)

I give full attention to my surroundings when at the bar, still can't pick up grills. (never done drugs, look reasonably healthy)

I don't know, my real power level is actually fairly high from years of experience in IT-land. (we are talking assembler wizard stuff here)

>I give full attention to my surroundings when at the bar, still can't pick up grills. (never done drugs, look reasonably healthy)
Maybe he is just a genuinely nice and amiable person, maybe that's more important than judging people by their looks.

> he thinks being nice is the key to success

Well it's working for him user, liking anime-themed mobile games isn't exactly accepted by society, but if you're a nice enough person otherwise, people give you a pass on that stuff.

The only reason why Jow Forums is eschewed by society isn't because they watch anime or spend a lot of time alone, it's just that most people here are generally cunts who thinks the world owes them something because they're white/lift/earn money/read books/effay as fuck.

It's not an attractive trait in anyone, take it from Elliot Rodger.

>Why is anime now considered more mainstream than when Toonami was in it's heyday? And why do normalfags like moeblob trash more than anything else? And why won't the ironic weebs die?
Hollywood is running out of ideas. TV is dying and people are looking for something fresh. Especially among popular YouTubers, everyone now wants to go to Japan. And anime is the best known popculture thing from there.
Ironic weebs will never die because normies are incapable of taking their hobby seriously. They have been trained their whole life to just consume what is being delivered to them and then move to the next thing when they are told to do so. Being ironic is the only way they can take part in nerd culture without losing their identity based on being normal. It would be traumatizing for them to actually different than what is mainstream, but on the other hand mainstream is getting more and more boring.

The problem is that a normie can pretty much only print out the shit that he finds on Thingiverse. You'd have to learn at least some 3D CAD basics to design something that you need. The next hurdle is that the average person doesn't own a computer anymore and I highly doubt that there is decent software for that in app stores.
It's a hobby and you need to get involved with it. Having a printer at home just to print out daily needs is too complex.

Attached: 9c93a53f-3c47-4f10-8977-cd8a34ccfa2f.jpg (1280x720, 125K)

The Linux desktop. 30 years later and it's still garbage, fragmented into a million different directions with the flagship interface, Gnome, being developed by complete retards.

I remember when we had GNOME 2 and KDE 3 and no one had a problem with them. They were fine. But they were both thrown in the trash because people wanted to fuck around, and now a decade has passed and we're still not where we were then.

Internet and real life identities mingling so much and eventually merging completely. I liked it more when internet stuff stayed on the internet, when it was a completely different world and whatever you said there had no effect on your real life. Cutting yourself out was as easy as closing your computer. Not only were you not required to use your real name online, but it was even frowned upon.

Now it's frowned upon to not use your full name, to not have a facebook, instagram, twitter, and other social media. It's frowned upon to actually disconnect yourself, and saying something on the internet can ruin your life harder than anything you could possibly say in real life.

Attached: 1426312286512.jpg (1436x674, 218K)

>Desktop metaphor!? Computers aren't used in offices anymore!
>They're all tablets that are used as portable TVs right?
Why did the industry shit itself so hard over the iPad?

>when it was a completely different world and whatever you said there had no effect on your real life
But that was precisely the problem user! Police, employers, banks and shops all wanted that sweet info on people and we don't actually live in a free society where money and control is involved, so everyone has been allowed to forget that you're not supposed to give your private information away to strangers.

Instead, it's now those strangers legal prerogative to harvest and store you information and you can't do shit about it.

probably the multi cores intel cpus after all the bad stuff happening to them.

Why is this guy a meme? Is he supposed to represent the so-called computer genius, but is a failure?

>Why is this guy a meme?
he isn't

pretty much this.
Instead of SMS, I use whatsjew

This only happened because you're a retard, you didn't mute notifications before going to bed and you use shitty proprietary software

inputdevices.

It's a system service put there to run silently from the factory firmware. Please tell me more about how you always plan for every possible scenario and never fail to spot things even without knowing they exist.

VR is coming along finally but in most cases so far I've seen it used for games, which is fine, and not so much for boosting human cognition... (like in the lawnmower man)

AR is useful only for certain things otherwise I really dislike it being mostly for pokemon Go and similar..

No holowaifus/AIwaifus

Generally AI is seems more to be "lets train a neural network to recite the optimal way to do something" and not "lets a train a neural network to have to achieve enough cognitive power to solve whatever problem we throw at it (even its own consciousness) without having to reconfigure it all"

Crypto has being diverted from its original purpose.

Desktop machines haven't evolved much (in operating principles)

Mobile has to be most booming tech sector there is, with great usability, performance, build quality etc... Sadly it is regressing in three areas: maintainability, privacy (when even with google assistant disabled I find ads for things I only talked about with friends face-to-face there is a privacy issue), connectivity (headphone jack anyone?)

Mobile networks... Ok 5G is coming up but it is merely a 4G with more frequencies and more problematic more antennas.... which have been shown now to be a potenial health concern. Surely they could leverage 4G+; most towers seem to sit mostly idle because data plans (at least in my country) provide you with so little monthly bandwidth that no one really uses it that much.

And most of all, what happened to the internet? From a kind of "network of smart, albeit nerdy, people" to has turned into a gigantic mall (with security cameras tracking you from one shop to the next to sell you stuff); and many attentionwhores flexing whatever happens to be the latest fad.

Lets not mention PROPER (with emotions, reciprocity etc) interpersonal relationships, they are nearly obliterated.

I just don't use the default OS my phone came with. I don't always spot things without knowing they exist, but knowing about silent mode or do not disturb mode is basic knowledge that most people using a phone have.

OLED

- That's not always possible. Sony's a very rare case where they do allow you to unlock the bootloader, but you lose some of the phone's functionality like the camera AI feature which needs a special partition, which gets irreversably lost once you overwrite it.
- I think you're missing the point here, i couldn't care less that a notification woke me up, it's that a *factory app* was doing shit with my photos without any consent on my part. It's a unique situation that i never had on any other phone prior to that, illustrating what the current state of usability and control a user has over a modern smartphone today.

the end of dennard scaling

not but do the majority of people actually watch moeblob? People who i know ,who watch anime are usually guys who watch stuff like dragon ball, boku no hero academia and the girls who watch shoujo romances and attack on titan? i almost never see people outside these zones

Attached: think.jpg (820x616, 131K)

>do the majority of people actually watch moeblob?
Depends on the group. Normies and newbies don't, but japanese and serious nerds usually do watch.
Some of my friends watch them, some rarely, but pretty much everyone who watch anime watch more ambitious and unique series. I personally only enjoyed few moeblobs like Yuyushiki and Nichijou. Things like K-on and yuru Yuri bored me to death.

Windows 8 and its Metro bullshit, the tablet UI style seeping into desktop software, the x86 desktop domination going unchallenged for so long, the personal computing moving even further away from its "intelligence amplifier" roots towards a fancy portable TV set.

Tablet laptops.

Honestly I put tablets in meme territory for a long time. But it's really nice having a hand held laptop that I dont need to set down on something.

It would be nice just to be able to rip off my computers screen when I need to go portable or I want to lay in bed, and just casually stick it back on when I need the computation power.

As is, all the hybrid laptop tablets are garbage.

Being sexually aroused by furry characters

Internet has only become shittier and shittier to browse. Bloated pages take ages to load, every site has a pop-up asking to store cookies, pay to view content is rampant, adblockers are being blocked. I miss the golden years of the internet.

Cryptocurrency

>pages taking ages to load
>no ad block
>pop up cancer
Kid. You dont even fucking know.

what is the main demographic for these kinda shows? i thought serious nerds preferred stuff like cowboy bebop n stuff?