Noobuntu

Alright you fricks, I've seen the light.
I've deleted Windows. Trying Linux for the first time.
Installed my training wheels, and am typing this on Ubuntu currently. What are the must-do's now that it's up? Anything I should disable? Anything I should download for privacy and freedom?
>Bonus: Any other recommendations as I get my sealegs?

Attached: ubuntu-icon.png (512x512, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xubuntu.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Reinstall Windows.

Install fedora, n00buntu comes built in with Amazon botnet

I can disable it though, right?

/thread

Almost any LiGnux distribution will respect your privacy and freedom orders of magnitude more than Windows. Many modern distributions include some unnecessary shit you might not want, but that's it. Tweak it out the way you like, or consider using Ubuntu as a testbed to try different desktop environments before you settle on one. Either way, you've made a much better choice than Win 10.

Realize that you got memed into installing linux for the wrong reasons

you will not be part of any secret club, and you won't have "privacy and freedom" because some sperg shit will say it's botnetted

You use ubuntu when you have a job and want to get something done quickly when your time is valuable. Go try some shitty autism distro for a few days and realize this quickly and start to make money. Or stay in this little hole trying to dig yourself deeper.

I duno maybe

The amazon "botnet" thing was never a botnet, it was just a shortcut and a unity search lens. It could always be removed, and it doesn't exist in recent versions of Ubuntu, period.

You can't disable your way out of this because the spergs in the secret club you're trying to join will just make up something else. They will go all windows on you and say that the DE is infected even though they can't prove it, and will just say something like "it's a corporation you just know it's in there".

>Oh I know this is what those autism threads are about. I'll go spend a few months learning this so I can fit in

It will be the same shit all over again. Next time after that it will be "haha you use a desktop". Next time after that it will be "haha you don't use a shitty terminal emulator". You can't win this battle. Get a job.

nerds

It was a botnet because it would send your search query to servers to return the amazon results.

Yes. Disabled with a switch. Disabled by default in the next release, and removed in subsequent releases. Ubuntu is nothing more than debian with some additions. Always has been, always will be. The amazon search shit was still completely removable from day 1, and windows 10 sends your data all over the world to various alphabet soups, so even if OP were to go and install ubuntu trusty or whatever, it would still be a good choice.

so basically you should stay with vanilla ubuntu untuil you get the hang of it. Then you should probably switch to a nonstandard version of ubuntu or one of these distros:
>linux mint(good next choice)
>debian
>fedora/centos
>opensuse

People will tell you to install arch. You should do this at least one time to learn how to do it. To practice your way getting ready to install arch you might want to try:
>manjaro

The above are all of the main types of linux you will probably reasonably want or need when you become a master.

What "really" batters in the choice is what desktop environment you want. Top tier choices (in order):
>xfce
>mate
>cinnamon
>gnome

Minimalism tier:
>i3
>openbox

Shit bloat tier:
>gnome
>kde

There is one main technology you want to learn to start using linux: the terminal.

Google: how to learn bash shell.

Attached: 1478985788578.jpg (1280x720, 69K)

Don't start distro hoping, that's fucking stupid. Learn your operating system and then realize you can do almost everything on every single distro.
Get familiar with your terminal and its useful commands
Get familiar with the directory structure
Get familiar with your package manager apt
Ubuntu has a gui version to update software if you don't want any of that
Audio is handled by alsa or pulseaudio, search for them in case you need that
GNOME can be tweaked with the default settings and you can also install tweaks for more functionality
do your first bash script
I'd recommend crontab to make automatic jobs at certain times (like calling a program to backup my shit to a NAS every day/week/etc.)
fstab for your extra drives if you have them
rsync for the aforementioned backing up
look up exfat, rar, and other fileformats/fylsesystems in case you need them
etc.

As always, there is always software substituting the ones you have in Windows. The thing I miss the most is definitely foobar, but I eventually got used to Clementine. Even then, a lot of good software is already on all platforms, so it might not all be too unfamiliar.

For image viewing/comic reading go mcomix
For video playback grab mpv, look at some user/archwiki configs and you should be set
You can even play a fuckload of gaymes out of the box these days thanks to dxvk, proton on steam, and lutris.
Image editing is fine on Krita/gimp
Video editing on kdenlive/blender
Keepassxc for password management
qBittorrent/transmission/rtorrent for torrents
hexchat for IRC (so many are dead ;_;)
libreoffice for an office replacement
etc.

Attached: Linux_Unix_commands.jpg (2307x3100, 3.3M)

Do these but stop about halfway in, realize the rest is a waste of time, get a technology job, and make money.

For example using shitty-on-purpose software will bring you past the point of no return. Just use what the software center recommends.

based and windowspilled

Jokes on you, I would never work on my home.
I use their shitty proprietary garbage at work and that shit stays there.

>so basically you should stay with vanilla ubuntu

fixed

ubuntu is way faster than windows, if you have a weaker computer, you should also install a lighter weight desktop if you want that extra performance.

For example:
apt-get install xubuntu-desktop - XFCE, very noice
apt-get install lubuntu-dekstop - LXDE, very fast
apt-get install kubuntu-desktop - KDE, get ready for customization

Then get all your games and graphics drivers. If your browser still uses that console looking font by default you can change it.

Then you mine as well learn how to program as well (assuming you got it for that).

That part is easy, just run apt-get for the packages you need (unless you need the latest versions, in which case you compile).

Get yourself and IDE, if you are a broke student just get something with a trial like cLion, and you can reinstall your OS when the trial ends lol.

Ignore these faggots who may try to get you to change OS, ubuntu is the most used OS and most tutorials use it. If you want very up to date packages you could use Arch but I don't think you are in a state that needs it.

The only reason you would switch distros is for a different package manager. Ubuntu is the best package manager for people who don't need cutting edge.

Don't ever use debian, its package manager is just the fucked unstable ubuntu package manager (in fact ubuntu is essentially stable debian at this point).

You could use Arch if you want really up to date packages, for example I program with openCV and ubuntu only has openCV 3.2 in it's package manager while Arch as 4.1. Otherwise I would have to compile to get the newest one.

Mint is slow as fuck, you are essentially back to windows without software support if you choose it. Its just ubuntu with a slow DE.

Basically the only thing you will want to change is the desktop enviroment, if you got linux for performance, then choose LXDE (apt-get lubuntu-desktop), I personally think XFCE looks better but it uses a bit more memory (xubuntu-desktop)

Try doing basic tasks, find that they don't work the way they should, reflect that Linux has had a good 25 years to fix its shit and refuses to because neck beards can't manage projects. Get pissed. Buy a firewall and install windows 7.

If you want browser privacy, get icecat. If you want a better desktop (environment) get Kubuntu or manjaro KDE.

>haha le evil botnet
Make a search engine that doesn't send your search query to the server then. Faggot.

Attached: images (3).png (344x427, 17K)

>apt-get
It has been just apt for years.

This is for a local search of your computer files, retard.

Didn't know about cal. Thanks pal.

Correct post

Install Arch or Gentoo
Jokes aside. You can set your Desktop up with a proper bar on the bottom instead of that huge ass bar on the left. There are many "extensions" you can install on Gnome so you get a more Windows-Like experience.
If you get sick of the Desktop environment, you can install Kubuntu which you can set up to behave almost the same as Windows 7

Attached: 1489578953781.jpg (320x334, 20K)

It came preinstalled and sent every search query (even if you look for files or programs locally) to (((Amazon))). I think that's quite the wrong approach to make money in the Ganoo+Loonix community.

Attached: 1559483125337.png (558x568, 383K)

fpbp

Attached: bill-gates_1444803c.jpg (460x287, 15K)

I still use ubuntu on my robots, and they are still running 14.04.

Don't break it. LTS won't break unless you do something you shouldn't.

>ubuntu
>more stable than debian
>mint
>slower than ubuntu
>arch
>good at all
Master troll.

Based.

Thank you for your input in window managers. I'll try i3

low iq poster detected

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1518227356638.jpg (600x600, 375K)

When you install it, make sure to turn off telemetry. That will not stop ubuntu from calling home, but it doesn't send as much.

Better install Debian through.
The Amazon thing was in unity's dash. Ubuntu doesn't use unity anymore.

Attached: ubuntubotnet.png (720x765, 159K)

in your etc/resolve.config
change your dns to 5.5.5.5

Fun fact. OpenSUSE pings their servers every 5 seconds.

fuck off richard

Similar to OP, but I installed Fedora instead.
How fucked am I?

Attached: 7D118960-9125-4D89-8E44-F171A9520A01.jpg (474x474, 15K)

xubuntu.org/

Pretty much this. Bluetooth/wifi fucking with eachother.
Windows:
Office: works
Wifi/Bluetooth: Works
VirtualBox: works

But muh programming environment! Install shit inside WSL or learn how to set your fucking path.

If you have 16GB RAM and at least core i7 2.4Ghz processor powerful enough to boot Gnome then you'll be fine. You may need some extra RAM to do anything else though.

fedora is mostly fine with a few minor/annoying hangups but it'll last you until you until you know you want something different, ps install rpmfusion
t. used fedora for 10 years

I have all that—is this a meme or is Gnome actually strenuous to boot?

Any hangups I should immediately correct?

It's a bloat.

>I have all that—is this a meme or is Gnome actually strenuous to boot?
gnome is a meme but if you're new don't worry about it, if you find performance lacking a little perhaps trying out kde (less preferable) or xfce (more preferable) or even something like mate, you can install them on your existing install and you don't need to go download the separate iso and reinstall
>Any hangups I should immediately correct?
mostly it's just installing rpmfusion so you can get access to proprietary drivers (nvidia) and nonfree media codecs for mp3 audio on local players, if you have an amd gpu from the past 5 years or so you don't need to worry about installing drivers as amd's official linux driver amdgpu is now a part of the kernel

linux is a toy, retard.
grow up and use windows 7 ultimate

Linux is a kernel.
Windows is malware.
You may no approve now, but sooner or later you will say the words. Stallman was right again.

>windows 7
kek how does it feel being the same as XPfags?
Just upgrade to W10 and dual boot with Linux lmao

Try to use the terminal for everything, after a month or so install either arch or gentoo. I did the same, ubuntu for a month to get the hang of it and then arch. Worked well. Just back everything up before you upgrade, a noob will fuck up the installation multiple times before they get arch to work, happened to me a few times.

remove ubuntu-web-launchers