Previous thread: >>71283853

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: thinkpad-san.png (1920x1080, 846K)

Other urls found in this thread:

libreboot.org/docs/hardware/#supported-t60-list
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/71110226/#q71137724
amazon.com/ASUS-Ultra-Thin-Processor-Microsoft-L203MA-DS04/dp/B07N6S4SY1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I need a stock bios dump of a X60t, an i945(T60igpu X60 X60s X60t) VGA bios would be helpful too

So I just broke my t60's screen after a day of it arriving the stupidest way possible.
So, can I replace the screen with any of the screens listed as compatible in this list libreboot.org/docs/hardware/#supported-t60-list or is there some board-specific thing I need to be aware about?

Depends if you have a 14" 15" or 15" wide
14"-

XGA:
LTN141XA-L01
HT14X14
LTD141ECMB

SXGA+(the one you want for a 14"):
LTN141P4-L02
HT14P12
LTD141EN9B

15"-
XGA:
LTN150XG
LP150X09
13N7068- unknown model
13N7069- unknown model
SXGA+(meh):
LP150E05-A2K1
HV150P01-100
N150U3-L01

UXGA(what you want):
HV150UX1-100
HV150UX1-102

QXGA(rare as fuck holy shit):
IAQX10S
IAQX10N

15" wide-

WSXGA+:
LP154W02-TL10

Oh fuck, I forgot to put /tpg/ in the subject
Alright thanks, I was worried about some motherboard issue when using different models on different motherboards, I'm taking into account screen size and aspect ratio, though I thought all t60 were 4:3 and t61 offered the two variants.

Nope there were 3. T61 added the 14" wide to the mix and removed 15" 4:3.

Also, I'm not sure if it's worth to pay the extra money on a SXGA+ since it's a 2007 board and doesn't support a T7xxx anyway.
Also I used the computer for an hour before breaking the screen and the XGA seemed decent enough for me.

SXGA+ is very worth it. and you can use T7xxx chips. I am using a T7400 in my T60.

Pic related.

Attached: T60.jpg (2048x1125, 584K)

Weird, I tried putting a T7200 on mine and wouldn't start LEDs would light up for a second or two and then everything would power off completely.

Imagine buying something with 50% performance loss
LMAO

Have you tried turning it on for a second time? That is pretty normal. Most of my 60 to 00 machines only boot on second try.
Imo T60 is the peak modern 14" laptop.

Attached: T60_docked.jpg (4000x2250, 2.44M)

Yeah, I think I tried 3 or 4 times and still the same.
I think I saw some table somewhere about Merom and Yonah boards. Maybe I got a Yonah board?

>tfw buying a gaming laptop because it's the only way to fit more than one SSD below $1K

Can you send the FRU of it? What's the make date on the bottom of the machine? I doubt its a hardware issue. I have a late 2006 machine and it works just fine even without cpu microcode.

>tfw bought a x230
>tfw ended up using it as an ad-hoc file server cause the resolution is too low
don't fall for the thinkpad meme goys

>didn't buy the tablet
>didn't do 13" FHD on regular
Get a T430.

Where do I find the FRU?
Also, I haven't installed libreboot yet.
Bios version 2.09 (79ETC9WW)
Bios date 2006-12-22
Embedded controller version: 1.07

My t420 is doing this weird thing where it constantly registers the left ultranav button as being clicked and this makes the computer pretty much impossible to lose, it was fine the last time I used it but that was about three months ago

I'm using Ubuntu bb, the latest release, never had this issue before

Strangely enough my t450s shit the bed on the same day, I need to get one of them working, I need a laptop and can't buy another right now, not worth the money to take them somewhere to be fixed

should be somewhere on a sticker on the board. mine is on the ram slot.

also archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/71110226/#q71137724
>Also check the motherboard revision, maybe you can install a better c2d cpu

Alright, mine is 42t0116.

Is there any point in buying a T440(p) when it's not corebootable?
Wouldn't the sane choice be either the T430 or wait for the T495, or am I missing something?

Attached: 1558392650037.gif (350x350, 1.01M)

Just got my ch341a programmer in the post today and I'm ready to flash Coreboot, a question though, is the X220s bioschip 24 series or 25 series?

>Have you tried turning it on for a second time? That is pretty normal. Most of my 60 to 00 machines only boot on second try.
My T61 shows fan error at first boot, but at second time it works just fine. I have no idea what's going on there since fan seems to spin just fine.

>42t0116
that's weird, exact same as mine

Does it show the RPM on thinkfan? I am not sure but middleton's might have an option to disable that error. You should be using middleton's on every 61 series machine desu

I see, it's possible that my t7200 is faulty, I guess I should consider a higher res display and then try to upgrade the CPU again when I find a new one (ppl often dump old and broken hardware into me, eventually I will come across another t7xxx without spending a dime).
Thank you for everything.

Looking for a 14.1" replacement screen for my t43. The original was a XGA. where should I be looking for an upgrade?

>Where do I find a soft rim trackpoint for my t470 ? Lenovo doesnt seem to care and produce them anymore. Can I get one for an older model and maybe use adapter or something ? Or are there 3d print models available ?
>thx

I must ask again...

I think you can just buy them off e-bay or amazon.
I can't say that the quality will be good or bad though since I've never ordered one.

I only find the classic ones :/

Does the T480 come with a 120Hz screen or is my OS lying?

25. Don't use the windows flashing software for ch341a. It's horrible. Just use flashrom.

By default it should be 60hz. You can overclock it but it's most likely your OS lying. Check EDID.

I got a new T480 from my employer, but Linux battery life is shit. Arch wiki says idle usage without tweaks should be around 8W, but I'm getting 15W even with TLP/powertop enabled. Any tips on how to troubleshoot this?

thats weird, T480 idle usage should be around 6W. did your employer fall for the 24+24Whr and dGPU meme by any chance?

I have a dGPU since I drive two 4Ks with it, and I have the 48Wh battery. I tried using the intel drivers when not at the office and that works, but it doesn't really seem to change the battery life.

>nvidia
>48Whr
well there is your issue. You wont get under 10W with that. Also beg for the 72Whr.

It's alive!

Attached: IMG_20190608_180516.jpg (4608x3456, 2.76M)

According to xrandr, the highest refresh rate is "60.03*+" but gnome let's me select 119.94 and 120.02. Strange.

>gnome
there is your issue

Based and terrorist-pilled

Why does everyone here hate on gnome? I haven't had any issues with it so far, except for one time it ate my CPU and took a few seconds to respond.

Buggy mess. Bloated. Non customizable. Gnome3 was suposed to be a nice lightweight user friendly DE. Great concept, horrible execution. A few specific issues that i encountered was for example very laggy trackpoint and constant instability of the DE.

I'm getting 12.9W draw on mine with dGPU enabled and battery saving as well as chromium and a few terminals open. I have the 74Wh battery tho, so that's more than 9 hours of usage.

When was the last time you tried it?
You are right about the bloat, it takes up a bunch of RAM, but I don't mind because I have 32GiB. After installing Tweaks I was able to enable the Pop!_OS dark theme, and some extensions let me change the clock, how workspaces behave, window snapping, etc. I'm very satisfied with it so far.

Thanks, I'll guess I'll have to live with it then.

I have a X240 and think about getting the dock. should i remove the external battery every time i plug it into dock?

Actually I just noticed you said idle usage. I left my computer for 10 mins and now it says it's drawing about 7W.

Ok I take that back. It just crashed when I was trying to open a picture and it seems to have taken all my programs with it.
Can anyone recommend a more stable DE or should I just switch to a wm?

cinnamon

cinnamon, xfce, mate, i3wm, bspwm, dwm,

the pasta needs some fixes, we can't keep calling the xx20/xx30 gens "modern".

Thanks

Today.

Thanks for checking. I've seen 7.5W idle, which I guess is OK. It still seems to randomly get hot and spin up, but I'll wait for powertop to get device power estimates before investigating further, I can live with this for now.

How much can I ask and expect to get for a Latitude E6320? (i5-2520M, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 768p TN display, decent condition)

if EU 100 euro, if US 90usd

EUR is more than USD but whatever

Please?

Indeed, in europe computers sell for much more. While you might be able to find a 100usd X230 on the regular in US, 160USD would be considered a good deal here.

I think I remember people saying the a475 are shit because they use the older AMD chipsets but someone is offering to sell me one cheap. How bad are they?

I also want to know. Bump.

Attached: 1557799717683.jpg (867x685, 96K)

If you care about coreboot, T430 is a good choice. T440p however has a much better iris pro igpu.

Cinnamon/MATE if you want to stick with a Gtk+ based DE. KDE plasma if you want to ascend. Xfce is old garbage that isn't even that light weight

Want to get the minifree X200, according to them it's good for CAD work. But with a core 2 duo, I doubt it, could anyone attest to this?

Attached: x200_Tablet.jpg (1100x825, 213K)

I can't imagine it, my p8600 c2d has problems running spotify and gimp

Any reason to getting a X220t over a X230t other than keyboard as someone who has a X220.

No

Xfce is light, have you used it?

Dont buy anything from minifree, just dont. Overpriced as fuck.

No and you can swap the X230 keyboard for a X220 one.

Then what's a good price for an i5 x230t

It's not that light. KDE plasma can use sub 400 mb ram and has way more features and not have screen tearing. Xfce also looks like ass oob and yes, I know the appeal of Xfce is to rice it

Any ryzen based laptops with battery life and a good screen? The A845 has shitty battery life and a subpar screen even though it's IPS

I work IT at my city's primary courthouse. I walked thru the parking garage the other day and noticed 6 or 7 police cruisers all had thick ass thinkpads in them (could easily see the logo on the top covers). Any idea what OS they run, since they are just used for police field work?

Attached: 213461346.jpg (1280x720, 86K)

I have never experienced screen tearing with it. Also ram usage isn't all and in my experience KDE has been nothing but pain in the ass.

>I have never experienced screen tearing with it.
You are lucky then. It's a meme now because it happens so often. Happened on every laptop I tried it on even if all I had was an Intel iGPU
>Also ram usage isn't all
What?
>in my experience KDE has been nothing but pain in the ass.
When was the last time you used kde plasma? The early releases of plasma 5 (I would say before 5.8) were pretty buggy. Now it's pretty smooth and bugs are constantly being fixed. It's one of those DEs where you need to get constant updates for using a rolling release distro or a PPA/custom repo of some sort. It still has some problems (I personally think it has some shitty defaults) but it is miles better than all other DEs especially considering how light weight it is

DrinkPad T42p a cute

Attached: IMG_20190609_020834.jpg (3968x2976, 1.9M)

>>Also ram usage isn't all
>What?
Cpu cycles exist.
>When was the last time you used kde plasma?
around a month ago, i wanted to like it but it just disappointed me

Having trouble finding the alienware panel replacement for T420's. What is it called exactly?

Don't buy it. a FHD kit is much better for the price.

I thought it wasn't possible to use FHD on the T420

>the perfect keyboard doesn't exi-

Attached: IMG_2024.rotated.jpg (3024x2268, 754K)

I'm looking for a cheap small laptop with an insane battery life kinda like amazon.com/ASUS-Ultra-Thin-Processor-Microsoft-L203MA-DS04/dp/B07N6S4SY1

Will mainly use it for web browsing on the go. Trying to find anything but a Chromebook. Any recommendations?

Is the i7 4900 the best CPU that fits in the t540p? Is it even worth the hassle of upgrading a 4700?
What's the point of the secondary 2.5 bay? I read its used as a cache for the the boot drive? No sure what that means.
Is the gpu integrated or can it be upgraded?

I thought you forgot a few words. My machines are fairly modern so I prefer having more ram for programs than saving a couple of CPU cycles

windows vista

What's the best place to get new parts? ebay? aliexpress?

Something weird is happening with my X230 bros, it won't boot anything with Linux on it, either a SSD or USB, but Windows 7 woks fine. Any pointers?

Am: techfag moving to a new city

Want: cheap laptop to apply to jobs / watch stuff / play games while my desktop is in storage

thx

Fuck off

>>>/leddit/

lmao, havin fun with that same size as letter key backspace that you conveniently cut off in the pic?

So I'm finally read to pull the trigger for getting a thinkpad, seems the best possible choice for getting something which is both usable and freely modifiable.
Right now I have an Acer (fuck em) A715-71G laptop, and I'd be happy about it if only it wasn't
1 - kinda heavy to bring around along with charger
2 - cannot control the fucking fans, and they're driving me crazy because of an absurdly aggressive cooling behaviour. Open notepad and they'll be noticeable in a quiet room, open Matlab/ 3D CAD software /whatever heavier, and they will sound like a fucking drone.
Supposedly a Thinkpad should allow for an easy control of fan speed so there's that.
Currently specs are:
Intel i7-7700HQ @ 2.80
16 GB DDR4
1TB HDD + 128GB SSD
Nvidia GTX 1050 + Integrated Intel 630

I'd like to retain the possibility of having a HDD and a nVME SDD, if possible; replaceable RAM is a must.
Might the 440s be feasible with these specs for around 1000$ ? I'm planning to sell this one for that price, so I think newer models like the 580 are out of the question... or might an used 480 fit the bill?

Get a T480 from outlet or with corporate perks.

you can get fhd, just search "T420 fhd" or "T430 fhd", the adapter should be 40-60 usd and the AUO 1.3 T440p panel should be around 50usd. you can get a kit from ali with both of them included

I like the extra keys

Attached: 1402570324044.png (300x226, 29K)

I'm curious why the non-recent models after the corebootable ones are even considered.
What's the point in having an old laptop if it runs the same proprietary software?

Based kyle