Discovered why Opus isn't taking over yet

>embedded album art in FLAC files
>convert to MP3 with LAME
>everything works in every program, no issues with metadata
>convert to Opus with opusenc
>random problems with metadata in random programs

Attached: 640px-Opus_logo2.svg.png (640x364, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xiph.org/video/
ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-codecs.html#opus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Also the fact everything is streamed today.

I converted some flac to 96 kbps opus one day to put on my phone but it sounded like shit, I'm not sure if opus is to blame or sbc bluetooth.

Attached: 1543399451812.png (200x193, 30K)

Streaming is the main purpose of OPUS. If you're archiving use FLAC.

Use foobar2000
Bluetooth audio transcodes, maybe that's the issue?

>Bluetooth audio transcodes, maybe that's the issue?
well that's my assumption, when are tried to gauge how low I can go with bitrate on my desktop 96kbps sounded good enough but on the phone it's awful, I think desktop connects to my headphones with aptx and that makes the big difference, I'm just asking if anyone else had similar experience

128 kbps mp3 is good enuff

Or maybe because you can download music digitally virtually nowhere in Opus to begin with.

What sounds better, a 16-bit uncompressed PCM audio file or a 24-bit uncompressed one?

Just did a test wit oggenc2 to convert same filesto Ogg instead of Opus and random metadata problems vanished. Thesis: tooling of Opus sucks and prevents its widespread adaptation.

t. OP

Are human ears even proficient enough to perceive a difference?

I just use ffmpeg to convert and it brings all my metadata too.

Ezpz

Discord uses it...

Yeah it's actually used like everywhere. Pretty sure most streaming services are using it internally.

mp3 format does not support album art you dumb fuck

mp4a does

If you're religious into Hi-Fi meme, choose 24bit one.

7/10 bait

If Spotify were to switch to Opus (they currently use Vorbis), it would probably become the dominant format for music overnight.

FOSS sucks ass

then why is Ogg Vorbis irrelevant?

But he just said that MP3 via LAME works fine.

MP3 is not an open standard

All of the patents have expired worldwide. You can use it however you want now.

still, it wasn't made by opensores fags, which is why it just werks

Works for me desu. Try using ffmpeg as the encoder instead of opus tools.

BULLSHIT

opus uses vorbis tags exactly the same as flac. they're supported everywhere by everything. literally even your grandma's mp3player.

KYS OP and never post again

Opus also forces the sample rate to a multiple of 48kHz. It's an issue when converting from most of the other formats, which use 44.1kHZ.
I believe that's the main reason why it isn't used in the audiophile sector.

>Try using ffmpeg as the encoder instead of opus tools
ffmpeg and opusenc both encode with libopus.

>It's an issue when converting from most of the other formats
No it fucking isn't. I convert FLAC to opus all the time.

>isn't used in the audiophile sector
You mean the sector full of gullible retards that don't know a single thing about signal processing? Yeah.

No.

The real reason why Opus won't take off is because they have 9 different file extensions and 10 different names for their encode format.

>ogg
>opus
>ogggu
>oppo
>oppes
etc

Attached: 1540373373143.png (871x999, 1.76M)

>Opus also forces the sample rate to a multiple of 48kHz. It's an issue when converting from most of the other formats, which use 44.1kHZ.

Since you just proved you're a fucking brainlet that shouldn't stand anywhere near digital audio encoding, I recommend you to watch these and educate yourself:
xiph.org/video/

That's not true.

>This is a native FFmpeg encoder for the Opus format. Currently its in development and only implements the CELT part of the codec. Its quality is usually worse and at best is equal to the libopus encoder.
ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-codecs.html#opus

I know it says its worse, but I've gotten more consistent results with ffmpeg's encoder than the libopus one. Very rarely, I had files get their runtime truncated with the libopus encoder. I never could reliably reproduce it or explain it.

I was referring to LAME.

doesn't matter, the format matters more

Never underestimate the necessity for good codecs or you'll end up like Google.

mp3 would have been total trash (it's trash today though) if it wasn't for LAME. It didn't even have gapless playback before LAME.

Attached: CopyQ.gTwdpy.png (916x583, 126K)

128kbps opus is lossless, so you just converted lossless to lossy
omedetou

Attached: 1531865724670.gif (500x281, 855K)

>128kbps opus is lossless
Of course a tripfag would say something retarded like this.

if it requires more than that, it would still make 96kbps lossy

If it requires less, I will gladly accept my mistake instead of assert shit like a child.

Attached: 1518933442002.gif (600x338, 853K)

You are mixing up "audio transparency" and "lossless".

Great, I appreciate it.

Please refrain from posting images of my wife until you learn to form competent thoughts