Does anyone else here feel intense nostalgia for old computer hardware...

Does anyone else here feel intense nostalgia for old computer hardware? I know things like floppy disks and parallel ports were objectively awful, but whenever I see old hardware I'm taken back in time to happier days before my mom died and my father became an alcoholic.

Attached: 4119s0s6VJL._AC_SY400_.jpg (499x281, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441
matrixhifi.com/contenedor_ppec_eng.htm
nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/03/dac-listening-challenge-results.html
tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/index.htm
head-fi.org/threads/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths.486598/
numeralnine.wordpress.com/2013/10/09/a-brief-guide-to-audio-for-the-skeptical-consumer/
ebay.com/itm/TEAC-FD-55GS-751-U-FD55GS751U-RQAUS1-/311842388131
aicsys.com/Industrial-Motherboards-MBC-6605.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I miss tape drives.

Sure, so I bought a sound card for novelty. Turns out it literally stomps my realtek in quality.

Attached: Original-disassemble-for-Creative-X-Fi-Xtreme-Music-SB0770-7-1-sound-card-fiber-sound-card.jpg_640x6 (640x470, 95K)

it doesn't actually, blind testing finds no difference unless your motherboard was from the 90s
sound cards are only better in the features they offer. you should have gotten a DAC anyways.

Sound cards are DACs and more.

You (unexperienced parrot) are telling me (person with said card) this? I have already spent hours testing this and the sound blaster is day and night better. The wimpy realtek has no bass reproduction to speak of. Oh and sound cards have DACs.

I had NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 440. I remember going to a store full of pirated games (because postUSSR) and looking at system requirements. 1 or 2 games out of 10 would run on at least minimal settings on my PC. I wanted a decent PC so much, I remember buying gaming magazine, reading about cool new games, knowing I couldn't play them.

I don't know if I feel nostalgic or disappointed. get a feeling, so complicated.

>you should have gotten a DAC anyways.

How exactly do you think the digital signal coming into the card leaves it as an analog audio signal, user?

I still have ATI Rage XL 8mb video card as a part of my multiboot system. UEFI has no problem seeing it as a second video card, despite it sitting in a bridged PCI slot.

I still have my Audigy 2 ZS. There are drivers for modern systems for it and it wrecks the shit out of my onboard audio chip.

>X-Fi xtreme music.
heh. i bought one when they first came out. and witnessing the massive improvement they gave over onboard sound of motherboards back in 2008, i immediately went out and bought a standalone DAC for $400 which i'm still using right now. i wanted to see how much better the quality would get if i spent even more

>I'm taken back in time to happier days before my mom died and my father became an alcoholic
I-I think I'm to give my parents a call tonight

Attached: images (83).jpg (422x500, 17K)

Good thing my parents are dead and I don't worry about such basement dweller shit.

>parallel ports were objectively awful
It's a port that you read and write bits to, what's "objectively awful" about that? Is GPIO "objectively awful" too?

Having all these ground connections is fucking cancer.

an external DAC, commonly known as a DAC, is more portable and more useful than a sound card

hopefully your father also dies soon

you fell for snake oil. there is no difference in quality. every blind test confirms this. you cannot tell the difference between the two unless you have a very old motherboard, from the 90s. if you're honest about it and get somebody to blind test you you will quickly discover that you're lying to yourself. or you could google it and find out everything I just told you on your own.

i miss cartridge cpus

Done and done, the soundblaster has a more spacial sound, reaches lower bass notes and has zero hiss. The SB can also go louder and easily reproduces sounds like explosions, pyrotechnics, and percussions more noticeably in the highs.
Of course you can stop parroting youtube celebrity garbage opinions and look up any actual measurement to confirm that realtek does indeed have garbage SNR and frequency response relative good sound cards. Yet you decide to stick to gossip which I guess is okay on the anonymous internet.

youtube celebrity opinions are the ones backing you up. it's audio professionals and researchers who have actually done the blind testing that don't fall for snake oil in the way that you have.

Parallel port is good if you want to make some simple device and control it directly from your PC without any microcontrollers whatsoever. Like said, its data lines are essentially GPIO lines. Also it's ridiculously easy to program for it.
I've wired up a 4-digit 7-segment display to it and now I feed it data from my system clock.

Attached: lptclock.jpg (1078x2415, 2.16M)

Actually the audio professionals and researchers come up with the easily googleable by you graphs that clearly show how toast realtek hardware is. Going back to the subjective tests, have you ever even tried the x-fi xtreme music so as to comment on it?

>the soundblaster has a more spacial sound, reaches lower bass notes and has zero hiss
I bet you love the shit out of vinyl

vinyl is the polar opposite of all those qualities but okay

Put a source then. Otherwise, it smells to snake oil.

the burden of proof is on you

google it yourself, I bet toms hardware has it

yea, you can find th+d graphs that show improved performance. what you can also find is that every single time blind tests have been done the result is the same. nobody can tell the difference and in many cases higher distortion reproduction ends up on top due to chance or simply personal preference for distortion. it's the youtube celebrities and consumer whores, such as yourself, pushing high end DACs and other audiophile snake oil. I don't blame you for falling for the snake oil, it takes quite a lot of serious research to understand all of this. every single time the blind tests are done it's found that DACs simply do not matter beyond the base level, which is easily surpassed by any motherboard right now.

aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441

matrixhifi.com/contenedor_ppec_eng.htm

nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/03/dac-listening-challenge-results.html

tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/index.htm

head-fi.org/threads/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths.486598/

I've already linked a blind test. if you actually care about finding the truth you could read it or google it and come across the dozens of other times it's come up. it's audio woo that you've fallen for, the same as magic power cables.

numeralnine.wordpress.com/2013/10/09/a-brief-guide-to-audio-for-the-skeptical-consumer/

Okay now that you agree with me that realtek does objectively have worse specs and sound worse, can you explain why I passed the blind test? Because you can link me a million subjective "research" papers but that does not make them objective.

you didn't pass any blind test. you convinced yourself which is easy to do and is something gullible consumers do all the time. you would not pass a properly administered blind test because nobody ever has. it's obvious you haven't even read anything I linked given how quickly you replied.

>I know things like floppy disks and parallel ports were objectively awful
Floppy disk may be painfully outdated (unless you have some old computers lying around you can use the drive to write pirate games for em), but there's absolutely no modern device that have a nice tactile feel like it.
Inserting and removing 3.5 inch disks feel just too damn good.

Actually, there is quite a difference as mobos generally have shitty dacs/amplifiers, but any cheap xonar soundcard is able to "max out" what you can do.

Of course I haven't, you stated those are subjective tests. It's only science if you can reproduce results and that is exactly what I did with a splitter 3.5mm cable and friend of mine who played my favourite ripped DVDs behind my back, jockeying the cable (false switches included).
For all it's worth, I can safely state those people in the tests didn't know what to look for. The two devices have characteristic sound I've already described. You're welcome to pay me $5000 to participate in one of your proper scientific studies though.

>Does anyone else here feel intense nostalgia for old computer hardware?
Maybe it;'s just that internet doesn't feel nerdy enough with dumb normalfags around and old stuff invokes nerdy feelings because of how the tech was workable with and exposed as opposed to the magical game boxes of today?

Like, how complex was development of early games that had asm incorporated and basically manually did everything, as opposed to shit that /vg/'s /agdg/ does - badly drawn pixelated stuff added to some premade game engine like unity.

The best moment was when moving from 386 dx 33 to a 486 dx4 100.

This chip could reap a pentium 75, for half the price

Attached: deals.jpgdeals.jpg (2142x1428, 350K)

I really don't blame you for being such a gullible consumer. at this point in post purchase rationalization it's essentially impossible for you to even consider that you're a sucker anyways. a few years from now once you've cooled off and are able to actually examine you preferences, or if you're willing to get a friend to actually double blind you and learn something you don't want to learn you'll come around. until then of course you're likely to be stuck and will continue parroting laughable nonsense like
>the soundblaster has a more spacial sound, reaches lower bass notes and has zero hiss. The SB can also go louder and easily reproduces sounds like explosions, pyrotechnics, and percussions more noticeably in the highs.
hilarious. I'm sure you believe the bullshit that's been sold to you quite thoroughly, and it's no wonder you're able to so easily dismiss exhaustive scientific studies that directly contradict you.

I already passes a blind test, can't you read? Answer me how many sound cards you've personally tried and blind tested. How about the sound blaster in question?
>exhaustive scientific studies
Me and my mate times 10k is not exhaustive scientific studies. On paper, and you agreed with me on it, realteks, especially older ones, have mediocre at best specs. There is no workaround to this. Why are you not mentioning the counter examples in said "studies" or on forums?

You me, mate?

>You me
What?

What technology allows you to talk to your mother?

There are actual use cases of sound cards. My motherboard has DPC latency issues that manifests as pops and crackles during audio playback. I tried all sorts of workarounds that didn't help at all.
I got a soundcard and it all went away.
Bait? What you're hearing is postprocessing that's turned on by default. Turn it off and check again.

>postprocessing that's turned on by default.
Amazing, can you show me the lines of code in the linux drivers of the card that are responsible?

Poor af. Reading newspaper articles about tech what I never gotten to use.

Why does all hardware threads turn into a soundcard fight/circle-jerk?

Attached: 1559425008994.png (1024x1097, 729K)

Because audiophiles are very special kind of autists. Treasure them.

Can confirm, today I spent 3 hours ripping a DVD's sound with different encodings.

not picking up interference from the usb bus is a nice touch
not something realtec ever manages

audiophile is basically an insult

I found this not so long ago:
ebay.com/itm/TEAC-FD-55GS-751-U-FD55GS751U-RQAUS1-/311842388131
This is a rare beast: a 5.25'' 1.2M/360K FDD that uses SCSI instead of Floppy interface.
Which means, theoretically, you can connect this motherfucker to your modern PC and it will work just fine.
All you'll need is a SCSI host bus adapter.

yeah man i got the parallel interface on my old snes copier working again just the other day

Attached: t60+snes+gd7.jpg (3024x4032, 1.95M)

Can't you just buy a pci floppy controller for modern pc?

same her, except that I am taken back to happier days when, at the age of 19 I was earning more in the computer services department of a large corporation, than my dad was earning after 35 years in Super Oil Seals uk as a lathe engineer turning tools that made the components for NASA spacecraft and British Aerospace aircraft. He was in his 40's and earning less than me. It was embarrassing and so after a while I used to pretend than my wages had gone down, even though he guessed I was earning a fortune because I was buying vintage cars and driving them and having them resprayed etc No, when I look back on old technology I feel embarrassment that even as a teen I had surpassed my fathers earning capacity. I dont like looking at old technology for that reason

> pci floppy controller
No such thing exists AFAIK. Only ISA.

Would a PCI to ISA adapter work?

>PCI to ISA adapter
Read a book nigger

No such thing exists either, and PCI to ISA bridges are of no use too.

Get a load of this shit:
aicsys.com/Industrial-Motherboards-MBC-6605.html
It's an LGA1150 motherboard with 2 ISA slots on it.

Unfortunately no ISA DMA, so no Gravis Ultrasound for my Windows 10.

Attached: MBC-6605.jpg (400x325, 122K)

>Does anyone else here feel intense nostalgia for old computer hardware?
Why, yes.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (900x1200, 253K)

LMAO. Imagine coping this hard. Seethe more retard. I got some diamond tipped HDMI cables and a beach house in Iowa I can sell you

>(8) RS232 & (2) RS232/422/485 serial ports

Attached: 1385477607784.jpg (1058x705, 117K)

Until you needed floating point for for example quake.
Then even a pentium 60 was faster.

Source?

Even if it works, That's ugly.

Skypee

Is it even possible to expose the internal ISA bus found on modern x86 CPUs?

I know, prettiness wasn't a concern. The concern was to make it as cheapely as possible.

I don't even know how they did it. Maybe some unholy PCI-E to PCI to ISA bridge. That would explain no ISA DMA.

I have an nvidia 7800gt mounted on the wall. That sexy heatsink was my most precious possession.

you can buy a pci-e floppy controller for about $15.00, but just use a usb floppy drive, unless your doing some old crazy game ripping that needs weird spiral tracking nonsense. Also fuck spiral tracking

Attached: yoyomahniggs.jpg (600x745, 116K)

i bought it just before 3d became the big thing

>pci-e floppy controller
Link?

>Maybe some unholy PCI-E to PCI to ISA bridge
That is what I figured they did
It used to be the SuperIO chip which held all the legacy peripherals connected to the CPU using a ISA bus so native ISA still was technically possible but now the superIO chip on modern x86 platforms uses an LPC bus
To my knowledge x86 CPUs still have a internal ISA bus and I was wondering if it was possible to expose it but I don't think it's possible

>remember seeing Voodoo graphics cards, Soundblaster 16, game boxes in stores
Not sure if it was so cool because I was young though or if it was just a magical time.

Baste

>LGA1150 Socket 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7/ i5/ i3 processors
fuck this board supports my current chip.
fuck now i want to buy this board.
why no parport/floppy though, that would be an instant buy

Unfortunately there are only 3.5'' USB FDDs.
> you can buy a pci-e floppy controller for about $15.00
Where? I'm interested.

The *codecs* you can find on modern motherboards are essentially good enough to not hear any discernible difference. However, there's also the amplifier and the general quality of the analog part of the circuit, and that's where a separate card usually wins, especially with low impedance headphones where cheap shit just chokes.

The ISA bus is so slow, you're better off just getting some microcontroller handling it and giving the data to the main CPU.

Not really, I remember how shit it was.

Are she frequently on-line from the shadow-land?
Because I thought she is dead...

Parallel ports were nice. Floppies were shit.

Floppies when they were in the right time period were fine, ie the 80s when your entire OS was booted off a single floppy and so was your software
When the 90s rolled around software grew so much that it wasn't unusual to have a literal box of floppies, luckily the CD saved us from that nonsense
By the 2000s any new floppies were unreliable junk

Back in the day there was also dvd-ram, basically 9 gigabyte floppies.

Also Magneto-Optical drives, on the pricier side of things. Like ZIP, but without the click of death and with higher capacity.

> no ISA DMA, so no Gravis Ultrasound
What about Adlib though?

I miss SCSI boards and my Jaz drive with 1GB disc

I got the slot 1 Pentium 3 1ghz the day it came out. God I was such a faggot.

Wasn't dvd-ram the Sega Dreamcast standard?

That's the gd-rom
It's just a cd that holds 1gb of data

>God I was such a faggot.

Nothing has changed.

I ran a 5x86-133 OCd to 160 for years. That thing could hold its own against friends who were buying Pentiums.

Almost all of my computers have floppy drives. Either internal or USB ones. I still pick up old cards and cables whenever I can. Still on the look out for a Zip drive or parallel external CD drive.