/fglt/ - Friendly GNU with Linux added Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: #

Previous thread:

Attached: 1560002417769.png (721x972, 129K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mifi/lossless-cut
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/082
wiki.bash-hackers.org/scripting/obsolete
pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/xrat/V4_xcu_chap02.html#tag_23_02_06_03
gnu.org
stallman.org/guantanamero.ogg
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1559519684363.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=huFYl8-Omws
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for Debian stable plus Xfce.

Ubuntu 18.whatever - does anyone know how 'Open with Files' works? Whenever I click it, whether it be by downloads or by putting in a USB, it causes the files icon on the gnome shell to be duplicated. Is there a fix?

if i installed a transparent theme for kde would there be any way to get Jow Forums x to be transparent?

Freedo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tux

Why stable? I've considering leaving Ubuntu for Debian, but I've never figured out which Debian I should use. Actually, how far behind are Ubuntu LTS and Debian Stable? LTS has never gave me any trouble, so I suppose that I'd be happy to use a Debian that's chronologically near it.

>stable

Attached: 1533081595623.jpg (267x274, 35K)

I've used this for years github.com/mifi/lossless-cut but it does not support x265 and i've stated recording in it for better compression at lower bitrates.
Is there a program that is just as basic and featureless as lossless-cut? I need "normal cut" support, meaning when i cut the video it dosent seek back or forward by k frames and get parts of the video i do not want.
I've tried avidemux but it dosent support "normal cut" only key frame cut, and it also likes to desync the audio.

You install Debian. Then you upgrade to the level you like,being stable, testing or sid, depending on your needs regarding stability and package freshness. All you need to do is changing 2 lines in your sources.list file.

I know, I installed Debian on my backup machine (like a 2008 laptop) years ago. But I've never figured out what's best for my main machine.

They offer different kinds of stability. Ubuntu claims to be stable in that it doesn’t break but the software is usually updated to newer versions or newer versions are at least made available on the repos.
Debian is also version stable, this means that they backport security fixes so that you can use the same software version during the entire life cycle of the distro.
I argue for stable because it doesn’t break and it is version stable, both characteristics that I like.

Why use stable, why opt to use outdated packages.

kys retarded mean autistic bitch

Why are all the parabola openrc ISOs completely broken. I just want librearch dammit

Isn't Debian Sid supposed to be more stable than most stable distros?

They receive security backports.

Uh, yeah but. Enjoy dependency hell!

I wouldn’t think so. The packagers do have a natural concern with stability so it should at least be better than Arch.

?

i guess you should try sid
sid gets updates all the way
stable gets updates all the way
testing is being stuck with a frozen sid release
sid also provides list changes and list bugs which you can run to verify if you really want to upgrade or want to wait till something broken got a fix
tl;dr try sid, it.s like arch, requires reading and uf you read, you're safe

You'll have a hard time compiling newer software because the dependencies are so old

How about Testing?

>it.s like arch
I refuse to believe that any version of Debian is like arch.

cuz your brain is frozen with memes
don't believe me, get it and try it

I never had this problem possibly because I keep everything manually installed under /opt and /usr/local. Besides that is not what dependency hell means.
And you should not install stuff from outside the repos anyways.

Testing should be more or less like Ubuntu.

dependency hell is a term invented by NOOBS fucking up their system by adding random repos and then windet why apt complains about dependency conflicts
Evey wiki and every guide warns to add random repos'n shit, but dumbshitter ubuntu bloggers have to shill their apps through PPA, so Ubuntu loosers guck.up their systems and it goes down to apt being the problem.
If you can't control a gun, don't buy a gun or you'll shot yourself in the foot.
That's what i have to say regarding "dependency hell". Thanks for listening

I have a 30 GB physical partition for /, an a 80 GB physical partition for /home and 120 GB unallocated. My root partition is now full. What's the best way to add more space to the root partition? I want to avoid reinstalling or moving around files as much as possible. Can I change my partitions to use LVM then increase the size for root?

Xfce is light, they said
easy on RAM, they said
FUCKING LIARS

Attached: xfceislighttheysaid.png (1290x648, 281K)

Isn't Testing only like, at most a month behind Sid?

Is it possible to repartition my /home to be on a different drive than the rest of the OS, or do I have to reinstall?

You are pretty much stuck. The best way would be to put root directories such as /usr and /var on other partitions at the end of the disk and mount them with fstab.

Is there some manual that should be read before installing Debian? I won't mind if there was. Deep down inside I feel like Debian is the first real step away from being a total Linux beginner.

Idk
Something is leaking

If you have free space then sure. Boot from a USB or something, use gparted to make the new partition in the free space, copy files over, add an fstab entry.

Are you shocked and amazed to learn that typing chrome://restart into Chromium's address bar reduced memory use by 10 GB?

Attached: afterchromerestart.png (1369x655, 163K)

>71330805
While backticks still work due to POSIX compatibility, $() is recommended over `` for problems in `° that $() did fix - and therefore went into POSIX as well. This was many years ago and there is no reason to use backticks anymore today, since it's simply deprecated and replaced with something better.

Some things to read:
>Why is $(...) preferred over `...` (backticks)?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/082
>Obsolete and deprecated syntax
wiki.bash-hackers.org/scripting/obsolete
>POSIX: The "$()" form of command substitution solves a problem of inconsistent behavior when using backquotes.
pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/xrat/V4_xcu_chap02.html#tag_23_02_06_03

Everything at this site gnu.org

Do you mean leave the other partitions as is, and make two new partitions for /var and /usr? What sizes would be recommended for those?
Anyway, I figured out it was fucking docker using 9 GB on /, so I've got back a lot of space.

>compile all fucking day
>finally done
>tells me I need to rebuild a bunch of stuff
fucking gentoo

Attached: fuckinggentoo.png (2572x1602, 749K)

But user, I'm not ready to go full GNU.

just take the leap

install GUIX

Attached: guix-banner-480.png (480x100, 137K)

you convinced me user.

Is there something like cold turkey for GNU/Linux?

can someone intelligent write me a shell script that plays an audio file with mpv?
it has to prompt for how many times i want to loop the file with dmenu

Attached: 1558296151559.jpg (820x822, 195K)

$ cat mpvlooper
#!/bin/sh

mpv "$1" --loop-file "$2"
$ ./mpvlooper stallman.org/guantanamero.ogg 2

Is it possible to easily import popOS's keyboard shortcut configuration into another GNOME distro?

The GNOME operating system is pretty shit tbqh. Install Xfce.

Reminder that no corporation can be devoid of evil.
>I have been requested by SUSE to say publicly things and act in a way which I feel would have compromised not only SUSE & openSUSE's best interests, but also my personal responsibility to always act in a truthful manner when interacting with fellow openSUSE contributors and our upstreams. I will not air dirty laundry in detail here, but needless to say, my faith in SUSE's ability to always do the right thing has been shaken.

Anyone having the mouse cursor going full retard when using Libreoffice via flatpak?(running it on Debian buster). After I click the format paintbrush icon my cursor becomes a bunch of pixels not rendered correctly.

the fuck is this shit
this isnt what i asked for

good advice, really
I thought it was mostly memeing but realized that gnu.org is almost always right and corporate/open source crowd is almost always wrong.

So is LibreJS any good?
I was using ublock origin in advanced mode but it was too much of a hustle, so i switched to normal mode, then to AdNaseum (which is the same).
What benefit LibreJS brings me over ublock origin's advanced mode table?

librejs does different shit
It blocks out non-libre javascript code from running, ie basically all of it. Not so much an adblocker as a 'break everything to make an idealogical point' sort of situation.

Librejs is OK if you care about free javascript and have enough time to bug developers fixing their shit.
The more convenient way is to straight out block javascript and enable it when you need it via umatrix or ublock origin in medium mode. The most convenient mode is using Tor browser.

Wild guess, but is dbus-daemon running?

IMO if you want advanced features like a global menu, you aren't aiming for a "minimal desktop" and should just stick to a DE, but w/e

K.

Anyone with an actual answer?

literally install guix

G

U

I

X

install it

Attached: 2795415-9653374716-king..jpg (300x300, 13K)

Just click the button that says file, then select import or export. It's on the lower right corner of the KDE settings panel (shortcuts).

Any of you guys are experienced with LUKS+Cryptsetup? I bought a nice Hdd-caddy and I installed with my encrypted hdd, I want to move my Download folder a mostly everything heavy to my HDD instead of my laptop's ssd, but here's the problem the Hdd only accepts Writes by the root user, is there a way to mount it with permission to my regular user?

Attached: scrot_2019-06-08-15:53:39_1366x768.png (1366x768, 109K)

Also I guess I should set it with the fstab to automount at launch.

Another guy who released his OS as free software i.4cdn.org/wsg/1559519684363.webm

Thar's what you do when you're proud of your code and have noting to hide.

>I just moved from arch to buster because I was sick of the random breakage
>Stop using arch
>Your problem is that you use a meme OS
>>Then I installed Arch
>Why in the everloving fuck would you do that?

well that settles it then, I guess I'm going back to Debian as soon as I have the time.

Attached: 1535601505549.png (581x687, 367K)

says my mic is plugged in but it is completely incapable of inputting any sound
why?

Attached: Screenshot_20190608_171825.png (896x878, 51K)

Why are you such a dummie

#!/bin/bash

mpv "$1" --loop-file $(seq 1 10000 | dmenu)

Attached: 1559826346453.jpg (788x960, 62K)

what's the easiest way to limit the bandwidth usage in a linux machine? in windows I used NetLimiter but I don't know what to use in linux
limiting through the router is not possible

youtube.com/watch?v=huFYl8-Omws

Attached: 1497898828877.webm (480x360, 1.63M)

What's the advantage of using Ubuntu over other Debian-based distros? I want to know what I'll be missing when I leave it.

The trouble with Ubuntu's updates isn't so much a lack of stability, but an increase in shittiness.

Just found out about MX Linux, which they call a "midweight" distro, what the fuck does midweight mean?

On their page the term "midweight" is a link. Have you tried opening it?

Yup, and that link takes you to the minimum system requirements for XFCE which doesn't answer my question, especially not when XFCE is lightweight by todays standards

Are there any valid reasons to not use Manjaro if you're looking for a rolling release distro that isn't meme reasons like "muh bloat"?

>What's the advantage of using Ubuntu over other Debian-based distros?
Better support for applications outside of the repositories.
PPA's
Larger userbase/contributor base/developer base

Arch breaks shit, Manjaro slightly delays all updates from arch by filtering them through their own repos.

So any breakage might take longer to get to you, but if it does, so do any fixes

Kind of the same problem as Debian testing, in some cases you're better off on sid because when stuff breaks the fixes don't get held back

If you want a rolling release distro that's actually meant to be used (I.e. not rawhide or sid) just use straight arch or tumbleweed

Fedora exists and is more stable. Manjaro will deliberately hold back packages from their repos due to stability concerns which defeats the point.

street cred

>Better support for applications outside of the repositories.
Surely anything that works with Ubuntu works with Debian? You might get a frankenDebian issue, but that's the worst of it.

>PPA's
Never use them anyway. Ubuntu's software center is shit.

>Larger userbase/contributor base/developer base
They're useless. AskUbuntu is the worst StackExchange that I've ever seen, and if I was good enough to be anywhere else, I wouldn't be using Ubuntu.

>Kind of the same problem as Debian testing, in some cases you're better off on sid because when stuff breaks the fixes don't get held back
How common is that? I've lost track of how big the difference between Sid and Testing is.

Anyone here knows if it's possible to create a table using groff?

Main advantages of using debian
>debian stable
>great architecture support
Besides that debian has no redeeming qualities. If your goal is to make frankenDebian to make your software work on your machine you might as well go for Ubuntu.

>Surely anything that works with Ubuntu works with Debian?
On stable it might not. Outdated packages solvable only by taping weird shit on top of existing packages.

>They're useless. AskUbuntu is the worst StackExchange that I've ever seen, and if I was good enough to be anywhere else, I wouldn't be using Ubuntu.
Have you tried looking up for anything regarding Debian? 80% of the time you will be redirected to an article that was written for pre-systemd debian

If you already made the decision to switch to Debian why the fuck are you asking then? You clearly have thought of every possible advantage of Ubuntu and made your mind regarding the value of it.
Just make the switch.

I botched my dual boot setup and am in a bootloop. Can I just override all this dualboot junk by installing debian over everything and wiping everything? Will that fix everything? I don't need windows anymore

Is opensuse an "hidden" gem? I say hidden because it seems people always forget about it but this shit works so well in combination with kde. For some reason they don't target mainstream population on their website but if they made their installer a bit more friendly and polishing some things, I can see this distro being the best desktop.

Is there a big difference between Ubuntu LTS and whatever the current version is? Moving to Debian Testing seems strange if I'm never going to even try a non-LTS version of Ubuntu.

You mean hardware? That's understandable.

>Besides that debian has no redeeming qualities.
There must be something, or else everyone but server people would use Ubuntu instead.

>On stable it might not
Good point.

>Have you tried looking up for anything regarding Debian?
No, but I'd at least be able to use decent help websites that don't want to redirect you to the kid's corner.

>You clearly have thought of every possible advantage of Ubuntu and made your mind regarding the value of it.
I haven't and that's why I'm asking. Ubuntu bothers me enough to make me consider switching, but not enough to make me easily commit to switching.

Bump can someone answer this

Is there a big difference between Ubuntu LTS and whatever the current version is? Moving to any non-Stable Debian seems strange if I'm never going to even try a non-LTS version of Ubuntu.

You mean hardware? That's understandable.

>Besides that debian has no redeeming qualities.
There must be something, or else everyone but server people would use Ubuntu instead.

>On stable it might not
Good point.

>Have you tried looking up for anything regarding Debian?
No, but I'd at least be able to use decent help websites that don't want to redirect you to the kid's corner.

>You clearly have thought of every possible advantage of Ubuntu and made your mind regarding the value of it.
I haven't and that's why I'm asking. Ubuntu bothers me enough to make me consider switching, but not enough to make me easily commit to switching.

Debian won't hold your hand, and their wiki is a useless pile of outdated garbage. To use debian you need enough Linux experience to know how to determine if advice you find online applies to you, and if it doesn't, what would apply to you, because generally searching "Debian help x" you will not get many hits.

The arch wiki is great even for other distros but if you're enough of a noob that when a guide tells you to renegerate your initramfs and you copy paste the "mkinitcpio" command on debian and go OMG Y NO WORK then you're gonna have a bad time

All that said, it's still my distro of choice, no corporate influence/100% community driven, stable as fuck. If you have featuritis then use something else (probably Ubuntu or Fedora) because you'll have a bad time though

>Why are you such a dummie
>seq 1 10000 | dmenu
hahahahahahahahahahaXAXAXAXAXA
and you have the audacity to call others a dummie. (he's a dummie tho)

How do host my own webserver without getting haxxxed? Using ganoo linaus ofc

>hahahahahahahahahahaXAXAXAXAXA
Post non-dummie version or fuck off then

Attached: 1443808179896.png (342x245, 66K)

That's a shame. I wanted to git gud, but not stray to far from what basically already works (Ubuntu).

You'll only git gud by breaking shit and forcing yourself to fix it. Lots of noobs get into the trap of "oops lol I can't boot better reinstall" (see other user above) rather than learning more about their systems and how they work by sitting down and tinkering with it until it's fixed.

If you want to learn, you should go hard on it, assuming you don't have real work that needs doing on your PC

Debian will give you a totally normal, working install out of the box just like Ubuntu (minus some non free device firmwares), but when you want to do something new or you break something you'll have to figure shit out without pissing yourself and running back to askubuntu, that's all

Bump can someone answer this

It will fix it but you could almost certainly fix it from a liveusb instead and save yourself a reinstall

Just do $(echo 1 | dmenu -p Loop:)
Anything you type will go to stdout anyways so you can just type 56 and 56 will be printed to stdout. You don't need seq to list numbers, that's beyond retarded. Either way, what OP asked was also retarded. The initial answer with mpvlooper script was more than enough, no need for dmenu.

pls respond

Attached: a941d9e8eef371b02b6251cf89aed9d46cb85e3aaba17ac7415a4700c5078930.jpg (1200x1600, 184K)

>Anything you type will go to stdout anyways so you can just type 56 and 56 will be printed to stdout.
I was fully aware of that actually but at first I tried to not put anything at all and putting a single line (with an instruction maybe) didn't occur to me.

Don't call me a dummie thanks

It's okay frendo. I'm just a script kiddie.