Why the fuck is having an "apply" button in modern UI a sin? How am I supposed to know my settings are saved...

Why the fuck is having an "apply" button in modern UI a sin? How am I supposed to know my settings are saved? Fucking bullshit man

Attached: ueSSm.png (424x509, 33K)

Wintoddler

dialate

Stop shutting im the street

Why do you even need any button except revert?
Ah, your os/programs doesnt applies all the changes on the fly?
It could be sad to be you.

OK is an implicit apply. Cancel doesn't persist any modifications.

It's objectively poor design, as in it removes control from the user.
Some cases involve setting multiple settings in unison then "applying", where a incremental "each state change is instantly applied" would cause problems.

It's great. OK and Apply buttons does the same thing, but one of them also does something more.

OK = applies settings and closes window
Apply = applies settings and keeps window open

I say it's perfect for my freedom of choice and that should never be changed.

Attached: 126049496957.jpg (300x401, 44K)

This. I always:
Review
Apply
Rereview
Ok

OS2 GUI was fucking terrible

Attached: os2-45-9.png (620x465, 83K)

Nice strategy.
See guys? Windows' design is genius.

Attached: 1441255098017.gif (257x194, 995K)

it was pretty clear before pajeets got their hands on windows code. apply would apply but reset if you clicked cancel, now you can only gues what will happen in different parts of ui

I've always assumed there was only one possibility across the board. Meaning Apply would apply settings, and Cancel would just close the window and discard anything that was changed after the last time Apply or OK was clicked.

Isn't this behavior global? Can you show us an example of a different scenario from the one I've just described?

Attached: 126966838711.jpg (492x557, 20K)

'Apply' has never "reset if you clicked cancel" you stupid fucking zoomer

I agree with this.

/thread

Attached: IM THE STREET.jpg (1024x612, 232K)

Honestly OK and Cancel should be the ones to go. Cancel is the same as hitting X, and OK is the same as hitting Apply and then X.

they should do that thing where the apply button is grayed out and only turns solid when you actually change something.

Stop fucking with my options and freedom of choice!

Attached: 129944496088.jpg (620x631, 409K)

When are twats who yell MUH FREEEEDUMS for everything going to get publicly shamed? So much for devs' freedom to not have to bend over to your every whim in favor of more productive uses of their time

>implying anything being discussed in this thread matters

Attached: 132783628498.jpg (800x600, 430K)

>Implying I'm not just a stack of cups

I had a CS professor who thought you had to hit apply and then ok for it to actually accept changed
he was in his mid 30s too

My god.

Attached: 1441167599579.jpg (251x251, 20K)

Adding a button and wiring it up to a dedicated Apply routine and having OK call Apply before doing its own work is totally trivial in windows forms. Remember, this isn't retarded ass webdev. I never thought I'd say it, but winforms is pretty easy to work with.

it's pretty fucking easy in web dev too.

> he was in his mid 30s too
Certainly you aren't in your mid-twenties yet. There is some buggy software which can crash and undo changes on hitting "OK" without "apply", can't recall its name.

CS is not IT, nothing wrong with not knowing how to use winshit

It should be Save or Cancel with NO Apply bullshit.

I mean I suppose you could have a situation where the user wants to keep the editor open but continually edit/apply changes. But that is so fucking rare.

>blaming his age
You know damn well he ran into some buggy software where this was the case.

It doesn't matter. Microsoft will ignore your settings and do whatever they think it's best in the next update.

Gee it's almost as if that's what OK is for

You could have an Apply that worked until you either Saved or Quit.

My uncle presses Control+C about 7 times just to be sure.

Hahahaha I totally can't relate to that hahahaha

7 seems like a lot
I only do it three times

What happens if you press Cancel after Apply? The UX is confusing.

Same as pressing the X, if you pressed "Apply" it's applied, period.
Zoomers, I swear.

>Isn't this behavior global?
No. Apply can apply changes without allowing you to cancel them. Pressing cancel (if it's not disabled by then) afterwards will just close the window.

For some programs that is how it works. For example in Team Fortress 2 if you pressed OK before apply video options were reset back to default, sure its just a fucking game but your professor may have just had to deal with something equally stupid

i dont mind the apply but the variation fucks with the standard expectations and some applications don't actually apply unless you use a sequence of methods to back out of the options

I agree with OP
Modern UI is cancer
Bring Apply button back!

Attached: file.png (645x677, 27K)

I do it twice.

>"""people""" click 'Apply' then immediately click 'OK'
>"""people""" get confused by the 'Apply' button
>""""""people""""""" who prefer auto-save to explicit save with the option to cancel applying changes

what an awful time to live in

Attached: tumblr_m3wd7b0VJ01qm6sfao1_500.jpg (500x377, 57K)