Finally get pic related Internet in my building

>finally get pic related Internet in my building
>ethernet ports on the modem/router hybrid provided by ISP are 1gb
>have a 10gb switch and my main computer and file server have 10gb NICs

why the fuck is 10gb ethernet taking so long to become mainstream?
you would think that a router capable of WAN connections over 1gb would at the very least include 2gb ports but they dont.

Attached: bell internet.png (536x276, 142K)

Have the 1.5 in my building in downtown Toronto and the modem/router get me over 1gb. Curious as to what they gave you. Unless they didn't bother because you don't have direct to unit Fiber?

>over 1gb Internet
What the hell do you people do for a living? 6mb DSL enables me to stream HD video while listening to music, all while shitposting and there aren't any delays. What's the deal with those kind +1gb connections?

over 1gb ethernet or AC?

>why the fuck is 10gb ethernet taking so long to become mainstream?
Money.

You're not going to benefit from 1Gbps WAN connection anyways unless you're doing something commercial. Torrenting may be the only exception. It's the only way I max out my 100mbps up/down link and I have to try really fucking hard.
But feel free to prove me wrong, i'm not trying to shit on anyone, if you have a scenario where a 200MB/s wan connection would be maxed out I would like to hear about it.

its not as expensive as you think it is. most times i manage just fine (was on a 100gb connection up until now) and most websites and online services cant even upload at 1gbs but the shitload of extra bandwidth is nice to have when you need to torrent a bunch of stuff while also downloading new games on steam and PS4 at the same time.

Honestly pisses me off you can fairly easily get a consumer router with a SINGLE 10gbps port, usable as either WAN or LAN, but you can't get a router with TWO 10gbps ports without getting something business class (and price)

What the fuck use is a single 10gbps port for WAN if all my LAN devices are relegated to 1gbps speeds?
The only real use it has is if you have a NAS that you want multiple people to be able to access at the same time at 1gbps each.

First consumer router with two 10gbps, or even 2.5gbps or 5gbps ports, will get my money.

To be fair, 6mbps isn't even enough for 1080p60 fps youtube, or high bitrate 1080p netflix content.

Let alone 4k video streaming.

My ISP only offers 2 speed tiers, 100mbps, or 1000mbps, and from experience in my household of 5 heavy internet users, 100mbps isn't sufficient.

if used as the WAN port, you could probably still make some use of it, if for example your isp offered you a 2gbps link, then each of your computers pretty much gets dedicated 1gbps

Nice digits, and aren't most of these ultra high speed connections like > $100 and data capped? My connection might be considered slow by some, but it's $40 for unlimited data, so I don't have to worry about anything. The data caps with high speed connections are what bother me the most desu.

Meanwhile I'm struggling to get 30mbit and my ports are all 1gbit
Fuck Australian internet

Yeah, but realistically you'd want the ability to have a client hooked up to the full 2gbps speeds.

Comcast offers 2gbps to me, and I refuse to upgrade to it because I'd have to buy a stupid expensive 10gbps capable router, or build a pfsense box with used 10gbps cards.

I'd really like a turn-key consumer product that is capable of greater than 1gbps and doesn't cost me $500+ like all the business solutions do.

blame the retards that decided copper was good enough.

Attached: 2019-06-08 17_58_13.png (459x593, 36K)

What do you need 1.5 Gbit for? With 100 Mbit most sites cap at around 5 MB/s and not the full bandwidth. The only thing I have seen hit the cap is Steam.

Uh, you're right, I just checked and prices were less insane than they once were and data caps seem mostly removed now. I guess I haven't kept up with that much because I never felt the need to switch, but I'll look into it now.

>actually using the homehub 3000
you noob

Attached: 2fast4u.png (635x224, 20K)

private trackers racing

>What's the deal with those kind +1gb connections?
anime

>you can't get a router with TWO 10gbps ports without getting something business class (and price)
mikrotik is pretty cheap

Mikrotik RB4011

>Mikrotik RB4011
>1 SFP+ 10gbps port
>10 1gbps ports

That's exactly what I don't want.

I want at least TWO 10gbps, not just one.

I'll take SFP+ or 10gbps ethernet.

CCR1036-8G-2S+ is the cheapest Mikrotik option, and it's $1100.

My bad. Looks like either a pfense box or some link aggregation, then. Gl

>I want at least TWO 10gbps, not just one.
get the 10gbit switch from microtik

Steam
Netflix
Torrents
Prime
Apple Music
YouTube uploads
Watching YouTube
Ondemand streaming
Having a family.

I want the WAN connection to be 10Gbps, with only a single 10gbps port, that means I can't connect a 10gbps switch, there would only be 1gbps ports left open.

connect your 10gbps devices to the switch
why is this so hard

if you want to route at 10Gbps, cheapest route would be to use a PC to do it

...think about it.

If the ROUTER has ONE 10gbps port, how can it communicate with the WAN, AND the LAN at the same time?

You need TWO 10gbps ports to do what you're saying, one for the WAN, and another for the LAN which you would then connect to a 10gbps switch for the 10gbps client devices.

You don't "need" a 10gbps port for WAN

if somehow you actually did, you would be able to afford the appropriate equipment

because 99% of america is still under 10Mbits and will be for at least another decade until you retards lynch mob your telecom industry giants

>why the fuck is 10gb ethernet taking so long
Essentially, the same reason 10GHz is taking so long. 1Gbps is easy because 1GHz PHYs are easy. 10Gbps is hard because you can't run a PHY at 10GHz.

For the first decade of 10G Ethernet, the chips were so power-hungry they required expensive, bulky heatsinking and sometimes active cooling. You can't put something like that in a chipset if you want your chipset to be used in a laptop, or even in a cheap desktop. This kept volumes low, so economies of scale kept the price high - even higher than the power and cooling problems alone could explain.

After banging their heads against this wall for a few years, Ethernet manufacturers got together to fix this and created IEEE 802.3bz, also known as multi-gigabit ethernet or NBASE-T. This allows much cheaper lower power options that can be included in chipsets and laptops without heavy duty cooling. By getting into the low end, volumes will be higher, and the tech will be cheap enough for widespread adoption, even the faster full 10G versions.

The first manufacturer to ship these in high volume is Aquantia and their chips have been a great success. In the last 2 years, they and other multi-gigabit manufacturers have started to bring faster Ethernet to the masses.

>For the first decade of 10G Ethernet, the chips were so power-hungry they required expensive, bulky heatsinking and sometimes active cooling.
I've read somewhere that's primarily because ethernet requires some analog componentry that doesn't scale down very well, is it true?

As I already stated, I have 2gbps fiber access if I wanted it, but it would be pointless without 10gbps WAN and LAN so I can actually use the full speed.

I am a single person living alone, i know I don't NEED 2gbps for just myself, but if I AM going to have it, I might as well utilize it for it's burst performance.

Again, once I can get a consumer solution for under $500, i'll probably do it.

can you even get 1gbps constant throughput to two devices? something you can test rn

Why the fuck do I care about two devices? I'm a single person.

Further, I know people with the service who have enterprise grade equipment and they get 2.2gbps throughput on the SFP+ connection comcast gives.

>$40 for unlimited data
amerika is 3d world

dunno what to tell you poorfag

lmao, I COULD afford it, but I don't want enterprise shit, I want consumer tech that doesn't need to be rackmounted.

Have several people on the same line
I have gigabit internet (980 down 570 up in real world tests) shared with another person and what it changed is that nobody cares, we virtually never max it so there are never any issues

>not building your own wooden rack
bruh

literally streaming 4K blu ray rips in real time while everyone in the house does whatever doesn't saturate my 300mbps link
what in the fuck are you doing

> >have a 10gb switch and my main computer and file server have 10gb NICs
1) Dedicated NICs, most probably
2) You're one rich motherfucker.