Working in Japan

Anyone on here have any experience working as a software developer in Tokyo/Japan in general?

I hear they're desperate for english speaking IT professionals and would gladly take you in if you speak a little Japanese, but I'm not too sure about the working conditions/pay. I'm interested in living in Japan for a bit though.

Attached: 8.jpg (852x480, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n70AgNDh6qg
data.oecd.org/emp/hours-worked.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=qu7Gksj1KKk
instagram.com/sleeping.tokyo/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_company_(Japanese_term)?wprov=sfla1
youtube.com/watch?v=d2FGgYp6mdk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

not sure about gaijin, but it's typical hellish office work, not with as many benefits as the west

Look up their work ethics, some work themselves literally to death. Tripple check with the recruitment office if this is also expected of you.

Interested in this as well, but don't wanna have my soul drained in Japanese office culture. What about foreigner-owned/run businesses or startups with "hip" office culture?

Also, is a 4 year degree mandatory to get a visa? What if I have a 2 year associates, but years of work experience and a solid portfolio as a dev?

I work in IT for a Japanese company, the American branch though. I still deal with a lot of expats and they're usually great to work with. Language barrier can get frustrating

>Also, is a 4 year degree mandatory to get a visa? What if I have a 2 year associates, but years of work experience and a solid portfolio as a dev?

They don't take white trash sorry.

You'll be hired to give the company the vibe of being modern, forward, but that's it; they wont actually change anything and you'll have to do overtime because your sorry western ass won't save you.

do yourself a favor and check r/japanlife unironically.

you heard wrong

Attached: download.jpg (300x168, 9K)

>What if I have a 2 year associates, but years of work experience and a solid portfolio as a dev?
why would they hire you at a premium when they could just hire a nip with the same credentials and work experience?

unironically kill yourself
japan doesnt need trash

youtube.com/watch?v=n70AgNDh6qg

Attached: gensokyo.jpg (800x600, 228K)

better than chinks, gooks and American
data.oecd.org/emp/hours-worked.htm

>Look up their work ethics, some work themselves literally to death.
Half of it's just pretending and showing off, though. Japan suffers from awfully low productivity, compared to the usual perceptions.

youtube.com/watch?v=qu7Gksj1KKk

Attached: 5656.jpg (299x293, 28K)

Germs 1356hrs/year
Britbong 1358hrs/year
Japan 1710hrs/year
USA 1780hrs/year
Korea 2024hrs/year
Mexico 2258hrs/year

Economic ranking Japan is 3rd. So overall,
Japan doesn't seems so bad though they need to do something about their drinking habit.

Actually there is some cool thing about it as well.
When I was in Japan University, there are colleagues that have full time job (9 am to 8-9 pm), take the train to University and working there until near 12am (last train).
Somehow they manage to sucess on both working life and got the master degree as well.

don't do it

go to glassdoor.com and read reviews for softbank, rakuten, mercari.

The japanese have a gang mentality and are extremely immature. Imagine a frat but instead of college bros it's literal middle schoolers. Lord of the Flies shit.

The only thing keeping me from migrating to japan is the work atmosphere. I might be wrong though.

That's why I'll never move there until I find a way to earn $$$ by myself

Don't come to Japan unless you
1. speak Japanese already
2. find a job where you don't have to work with the Japanese

They value image and prestige more than productivity. You try to focus on writing good software and they want to insult you and make you grovel just so they feel good about themselves. They are extremely insecure.

Also a high rate of autism. LIterally everyone is higher on the spectrum compared to Americans. There's a reason the anime industry is so big here.

Attached: 1600x1200x34c996259aeaf4f90c3d3e.jpg (1600x1200, 594K)

To them process is more important then result.
If ones cannot tell how much they value that concept with washokudo, shodo, chado, whatever-do etc then Japan is probably not a suitable place for them.

High autism based

I hear Rakuten is a special kind of hell. Their HQ is kinda out in bfe plus there are huge lines to get on the elevator in the morning.

Been there, done that.

Hours are insane and salaries are shit.

Sometimes there really isn't that much work but you still need to stay in the office.

It's also a shit place to live if you don't speak Japanese, but it's the closest you will get to live your weeb dream.

sound to me like the solution to these cultural issue is more diversity!

Japan is for the Japanese. Stay home gaijin.

Epic bait. You gonna get 200 (You)s from autists

Just save up money and apply for a longer tourist visa. Why deal with the terrible work culture because you have some weeb delusion. If you haven't been there before, at least visit for a week or two to get the feel for the place. Also learn Japanese if you want to work there or you'll be just like all the retards hopping the border to enter the USA but don't know english

IT workers are less respected in Japan than in the US. Probably around the same as a mechanic

I did this but working for a huge American tech company in Japan. 2000 Japanese people and me.

The gist is you don't want to work for a Japanese company in Japan. You want to work for a foreign company in Japan because in that environment the Japanese have loosened up and don't do all these fucked up business japanese-isms (like morning standup group cheers to motivate the company, coordinated exercise every 2 hours at your desk, weigh-ins to see if you're overweight and need to be put on a special meal plan in the cafeteria, and so on). Unless you're some fucked up weeaboo faggot that masturbates to that kind of trash.

It's still going to be different but you won't get treated like shit. If you work for a real traditional Japanese company nobody will speak to you and you will be isolated and alone and very depressed.

That being said I had a great time in living in Japan but at some point you realize how reckless it is because you're not paying into an American 401k with company match.

My advice to most people that pine for living in Japan is to get over it. Nothing is forever and what most people actually need is just to travel there for a week at a time and hang out not doing touristy shit. When you're at home you can be quite comfortable with your bittorrent Japanese experience without the every day complications of life in Japan. My biggest challenges were knowing what kind of meat I was buying at the grocery store or how to explain to a pharmacist what I needed. The number of english speakers available to get you through normal needs is very very slim. You feel like a stray dog most of the time.

instagram.com/sleeping.tokyo/

>tfw the guy who writes One Piece nearly died at work on like 5 separate occasions.

If you don't have a BSc, you'll never get a Visa. Ever.

>degree
You need a bachelor's degree minimum to qualify to apply for a work visa and you need a firm to handle the paperwork (they do this whole explanatory intro for immigration much like a cover letter that is priceless with their name on it and is equivalent to a local company sponsoring/vouching for you). Mine was done by either PwC or EY I don't remember which.

i am perfectly happy dying like this. i have been thinking of ways to end it myself. maybe this will do it

I've heard they block the elevator from going to even-numbered floors some days, and
odd-numbered floors other days,
to save electricity.

In which shit country do you life?
In Germany you don't even need a bachelor.

are you retarded? the pay is literally SHIT in japan move to the US and go there for vacation only you fucking disgusting low self aware weeb

>tfw student exchange in tokyo this fall and want to find an internship

any security positions in nipland? what do they usually want from applicants?

Attached: blizzard.png (698x1044, 757K)

The discussion was about getting a work visa for Japan. Not a work visa in general.

Didn't know Germany had such low standards for immigrant workers. Not surprised since it's the second most cucked country in the world

when in rome, etc.
if you hate japanese culture, dont go there.

dumb comment. got any others

I work from 8 AM to 6 PM and then have uni from 7 PM to 11PM. It's tough but you can manage it for a few years.

Just go to the n+1 floor and walk down. I do that sometimes instead of waiting for the odd-elevator if the even-elevator is already in the ground floor.

if you go to japan, or any other country you "admire", only to impose your own values and culture on them, you are the worst kind of scum, a liar, and a hypocrite

germans believe in fixing lazy people into hard working diciplined men. any turd can be polished into something great if youre german enough to do it.

Nobody said anything about doing that. Quite the conclusion jumper aren't ya.

>I hear they're desperate for english speaking IT professionals
Really? Why?

I've only ever been in Japan for modelling gigs. I don't know if that working environment would transfer into a more corporate place that would need a big IT department, but from my time there and just doing fun things in the meantime, they seem autistic and very fixated on the process rather than result.

I'm an iOS/Android developer and I had a hard time finding a job in Japan. The pay is abysmal compared to west coast USA and the work hours and conditions are much worse.

Be prepared for $40-60k for experienced positions and fucktons of overtime

unless you get a remote job lol. I had a remote job in 2016-2017 and got to tour asia. Japan, South Korea, then Taiwan. It was fuckin amazing. I just picked a new airbnb apartment every week and worked in coffee shops and stuff. The true digital nomad lifestyle.

unironically kill yourself

Has anyone worked in Latin America? A friend of mine is working in Chile and he says they basically suck your dick if you have every worked in any SF/SV company. He's making around $80k year in a country with much lower living costs and taxes.

Das ist nicht wahr. Da gibt's doch die Bayern : ^ )

From what I heard, the IT field in Japan is infested with "black companies".
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_company_(Japanese_term)?wprov=sfla1

>I hear they're desperate for english speaking IT professionals
They've been saying this for years. But who is saying it? Where did you hear that, OP?

You know how American companies hire Indians because they're cheap? Japanese companies hire foreigners like how US companies hire Indians. When you work for a Japanese company, YOU are Pajeet. It doesn't matter how smart or talented you are, they hammer you down and keep you excluded from the in-group (the Japanese).

Attached: DSC_0001.jpg (3840x2160, 1.54M)

...and like Pajeet, your salary will be low. After all, they could just hire a Japanese person who speakers English.

going from Chile back to SV sounds terrible. Microsoft Tokoyo not so much.

>nobody will speak to you and you will be isolated and alone and very depressed.

I've only had a few weeks in Japan doing some short-term research visit, and this is pretty much the #1 thing.

IF, and only IF, you can deal with being alone and isolated (or you bring someone with you), would it be a good idea to go there for a while. You won't make friends. People will not acknowledge your existence unless you're paying at a shop or restaurant. You will be absolutely isolated, as are many Japanese in their own society. If you're Murican and can't fathom the idea of 'no smalltalk', 'no chitchat', etc., you'll have a hard time. Going on a night out alone, I've had zero success to hook up with people and meeting people.

On the other side, I now understand why people are fascinated by Japan. If I had a close friend coming with me, I'd totally take up an opportunity to stay there for a while.

Based.

um japanese work culture is objectively shit and needs to change

Retards

>hurr it's hard working in a country where you don't speak they language
No shit, Sherlock.

I work here, I learned the language and researched (in Japanese) proir to coming.

Everything horrible you heard will be true if you jump in blind. In the other hand, if you know what you're doing, you'll avoid all of the pitfalls and have realistic expectations.

Yes, work for a gaishi, be good at your job, dont go into a slave industry, find the right company, and enjoy being able to easily afford a good home in a major world city on a normal (by Western standards) salary.

Tl;dr - 1) don't do it if you have to ask and have career aspirations
2) do it if you're young and know the risks and benefits inside and out
3) definitely do it if you can teach yourself high level Japanese, have in demand job skills, and have realistic expectations.

I can basically waltz into any Japanese company just because I'm competent be Western standard (VERY competent in Japan) and speak top notch Japanese.

The job market here is starved as Fuck for skilled workers.

Attached: 1445740694362.jpg (1165x1579, 411K)

t. weeb in denial

cuck mentality

I approve of any post in this thread that keeps you fucking gaijins out of my country

t. ESL slave or military rapist

Where and how did you learn "high level" japanese?

watching lucky star, of course

you forgot to mention the all-you-can-fuck buffet of asian women

cringe. You'll only get low tier women. If that doesn't bother you then it's whatever but the meme that any white guy can go and get unlimited pussy is a Jow Forums delusion

>You'll only get low tier women
nope

Whatever you keep telling yourself. It's the same with any other group. Majority of the good woman stay with their kind. Maybe if you cope harder, your delusion will become reality

the absolute cope of somebody who doesn't want to believe how slutty asian girls are. japan is unbelievably easy to get hot girls, especially the career women working at big companies or students.

I'm not saying Japanese women aren't whores. It's pretty common knowledge and only weeaboo virgins think that Asian women are pure waifus. It's just that unless you are a Chad, you'll get the ones that'll have foreign fetishes or just trashy girls

>you'll get the ones that'll have foreign fetishes or just trashy girls
aka the vast majority of japanese women before age 30

Gomenasai, my name is Ken-Sama.

I'm a 27 year old American Otaku (Anime fan for you gaijins). I draw Anime and Manga on my tablet, and spend my days perfecting my art and playing superior Japanese games. (Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Persona series)

I train with my Katana every day, this superior weapon can cut clean through steel because it is folded over a thousand times, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I earned my sword license two years ago, and I have been getting better every day.

I speak Japanese fluently, both Kanji and the Osaka dialect, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about Japanese history and their bushido code, which I follow 100%

When I get my Japanese visa, I am moving to Tokyo to get a job and learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become an animator for Studio Ghibli or a game designer!

I own several kimonos, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to Japan, so I can fit in easier. I bow to my elders and seniors and speak Japanese as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.

Wish me luck in Japan!

Attached: ac6.jpg (600x800, 56K)

this is literally my cousin right now. except no kimono, more overweight, even more disheveled looking, poor japanese skills and learning discipline, way more anime, and copious drug use.

Thought that was stallman reclining on the thumbnail

jesus user how haven't you blown ya brains out? I know I would

not him but I did work in asia for a while and I can tell you most of the time spent "working" is better described as "being at work"
it's not the kind of endless productivity you might imagine, it's more like you spend all of your time at work but you don't spend all of it actually working

Put him down for his own good

That's even worse. You can't relax and do stuff you would do at home. That's just wasted time where literally nothing gets done

I've basically cut ties with him. he lives in a depressing apartment in a shit part of town now despite having a privileged upbringing and being in a good engineering school before he dropped out. now he's a typical communist weaboo and I feel dirty even talking to him. he's always bringing up anime or talking about how bad incels and jordan peterson are or whatever dumb shit. we used to be best friends growing up but now I can't even bear to be around him.

This was basically Gene Roddenberry, this was his wedding in Japan. He was a massive Jap speg. Except he wasn't a failure and fucked hundreds of bitches while snorting coke on the bridge of the Enterprise. Nothing wrong with being a weeabo as long as your not a looser on all other fronts.

Attached: UDp6Uz5pXEbrTKiAvkCtwLP8QJt6d1fMeEAfFJJmDUM.jpg (723x1024, 77K)

>Going on a night out alone, I've had zero success to hook up with people and meeting people.
Women too? Must be ugly as fuck, as the rule holds that Nip women will fight each other for white gaijin dick any chance they get. Even the homeliest loser expat teaching English as a JET is fucking Don Juan over there, by all accounts.

Have fun

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san - 01 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_00.36.131.jpg (1516x1712, 273K)

Willingly dying for the sake of some billionaire shareholders. Sad and pathetic.

>Didn't know Germany had such low standards for immigrant workers

They're like the UK, who literally spreads her legs and lets anyone inside.

Imagine being this delusional. Kill yourself

Germany has a way better work system.
After school you can start work where you want and not visit some meme colleges.

Well I'm talking about immigrant worker

go to japan for a few weeks to see how it is.
hint: japanese are fairly racist against foreigners.

>Chile / latin america
As long as you dont look like a tourist , you wont be kidnapped and murdered.
lots of good tech jobs. just have to know espanol and work for samsung

DON'T
You will end up with a black company, and will be worked to death. 12 hours a day minimum, more realistic 16 hours.
You will be paid shit, since you're a gajin, and expected to do free overtime.

Attached: ja ja.png (500x522, 131K)

The fact that you look like this and can't get laid, in a place where every white dick gets serviced, is your problem and not indicative of the typical expat experience.

Attached: edwards-mugshot-sex-offender.jpg (640x480, 35K)

>Japan 1710hrs/year
Official hour aren't REAL hours.

You know, like the inflation numbers.

Typicaly you are expected to clock out ... and then work another 4-8 hours ... and then go out with the boss for a drink or two ... you will sleep on the street or in a cyber cafe/love hotel for a couple off hours. Shower, buy a new tie/socks/panties from a vending machine, and go back to work.

Attached: cimg1587.jpg (2816x2112, 1.27M)

Keep on lying. I'm sure if you say it enough, it'll become true one day

I'm starting to think you are a nonwhite gaijin, or worst of all look Asian - in which case none of the aforementioned privileges apply.

Just look at that article written by a white woman living in Japan, absolutely btfo by the fact that her fellow gaijin men wanted nothing to do with her because of the amount of attention from the natives.

sucks to be a leper like you, I guess

>If you work for a real traditional Japanese company nobody will speak to you and you will be isolated and alone and very depressed.
I have no fucking idea what's so bad about this, I don't go to work to chat, I already have friends for that and chatting in an open plan office is a pain for everyone in the office because nobody can fucking focus at all.
I am a Latin American working in a Latin American company, people still talk and all that but I don't think any of us expects to be dickbuddies with coworkers. Software developers are fucking autistic anyway.

Lol sure. I'm not delusional so your larping wont affect me. I'm sad at how deep you went on this meme theory. It's all weeb larpers. This article that you failed to link is one example and that doesn't set the standard. Neck yourself. You're an embarrassment to your parents.

Thing is, we're just desperate for IT people, be it just code monkeys.

I'm working in a well-known IT startup in Berlin, and until recently we used to hire literally anyone, degree or no degree.

I remember one of the PMs (I'm working on the business side) telling me that building some rather simple stuff and well-documented use case inhouse would be too complex for those guys some time ago, and he would get an external API provider for it instead. I then built the same thing in Excel in like 30 minutes. Let alone there is a billion packages doing that thing.
And no, those guys weren't from Asia, most of them were in fact from the Americas or Eastern Europe.

Luckily enough, things improved a lot since then, but this still was one of the silliest things I've experienced at work so far, and gave me quite a reality check on the IT quality in startups in our country.

here's the real version
youtube.com/watch?v=d2FGgYp6mdk