Tiling Window Managers

Which tiling window manager are you using and why do you recommend it over others?

dwm on the pic is just an example, I don't advocate for or against it.

If you don't use a tiling window manager, please do not inform everyone in this thread about this.

Attached: serveimage.png (1280x801, 189K)

We already have a desktop thread btw

Attached: 1531116900330.jpg (1500x1300, 717K)

Desktop is a broad term. I want a thread with specific focus on tiling window managers.

Can I try a tiling manager out without removing gnome?

I had a try of a tiling manager in a virtual machine but hard to get a proper feel for it. Don't want to remove gnome if I find I don't like it in the end.

>Can I try a tiling manager out without removing gnome?

Absolutely. Just install it and you should be able to choose what to use during login.

I like bspwm, using it with sxhkd and lemonbar.

Also, note that by default they are kind of lacking EVERYTHING. You have to tinker them to make them usable. I use dmenu a lot, for example, to launch apps, execute scripts and stuff like that. I recommend installing dmenu and binging it to some key combination (super + d, for example). It will be easier to write initial config under gnome.

I'm currently using BSPWM and I'm absolutely in love with it!

>Can I try a tiling manager out without removing gnome?
no

WTF are you talking about?

I think hes implying that once you install a wm you dont want to go back to gnomeshit and will remove it.

no actually I'm just joking. nothing is hard wired other than the kernel and init

I know the thread says tiling but what are some good dynamic window managers beside dwm. basically i want a WM that works like dwm in the way it dynamically brings up windows but with none of the autism

Why do you think that tiling WM and dynamic WM somehow exclude each other?

I've only used 2 myself. I started out on xmonad, and enjoyed it for a bit, but turns out I hate using Haskell. Configuring properly was a BITCH.

So now I'm on i3, which I like a lot. However, I've changed most of the key bindings to match xmonad, because I had acclimatised. But with i3 config is a hell of a lot easier, so was no problem.

Pic related, my i3

Attached: i3desktop.png (1280x800, 995K)

Attached: 2019-06-09-150355_1106x151_scrot.png (1106x151, 48K)

Wait, xmonad uses Haskell for configuration? Welp, into the trash it goes. I had been thinking of trying it out.

do you know of any tiling wms that dont have a floating mode?

dwm requires you to change to fucking source code and them compile a binary. I was thinking to switch to it from i3 because I was falling for suckless meme, but that's just autistic.

the key word is dynamic there, Dynamic WMs move windows as you spawn them. Tiling window managers keep them in place or slit them

I use Sway but there are definitely moments I wish I had stuck with i3. I'm too lazy to fix my config files back to i3 at this point. Dealing with xrandr and other x-isms at this point is beyond my ability to give a fuck. Wayland is just better at managing this shit. The only two problems I have are an inability to record my screen beyond a single screenshot and the Nvidia fuckery with drivers so I can't do gayming from my Linux session. Not that I have much interest in such things, media and games have been absolute shit for the past 5 years.

I mean, I am using dwm. But the thing was that I already knew C pretty well and was comfortable with recompiling when I got into it. I just don't want to learn Haskell. That's what kept me away from awesomewm too, I didn't want to learn Lua.

good thing it takes 10 milliseconds to compile then

I'm actually fine with the idea of changing the source code. Lets be honest about this, most dwm users are probably just dropping in code they got from github anyway. When you get down to brass tacks what really is the difference between dicking around in the config file for hours vs dropping shit into the source code and rigging vim to compile dwm upon exit?

Are you retarded?

It's Jow Forums, we are all retarted.

What the fuck prevents me from using a tiling window manager without uninstalling gnome?

dwm
picked up a second monitor for cheap today so i'll be trying to either config or patch dwm to do two monitors
any pointers to what should be done? i'd like to have separate tags for each monitor

Attached: 1559396006932.jpg (1000x1088, 142K)

>ithout removing gnome?
Yes easily.
Just install it and most of the time you can chose what to use during login thanks to your Display/Login Manager.

Attached: 181dc6d8914d3b3a900deed36581d7c0.png (200x200, 69K)

>What the fuck prevents me from using a tiling window manager without uninstalling gnome?
If you can't answer that you'reself, than your 100% retarded.

Is there really that much difference between
static const char font[] = "Arimo:style=Regular:size=10";
and
font = "Arimo:style=Regular:size=10";
dwm's config file is pretty much structured like a dot file anyways

OK, you're just baiting now BECAUSE I'VE DONE IT ALREADY.