VR BUYING THREAD

Thinking about buying a used rift. what do yall geniuses think about the state of vr and what not

Attached: you wont.jpg (342x318, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2E30vb3bmMc
youtube.com/watch?v=cfdtd6ZHBlY
youtube.com/watch?v=Js7Y1H5D8cY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

do it ya pussy

anything input/controller but the Valve Index controllers are a stupid idea right now

also inside out tracking is fucking awful, trust me, I know.

are the rift controllers really that much worse than the vive controllers?

just wait for the rift s to come out later this month and wait for those reviews. literally same price as current rift but supposedly better

yes

Poor: cardboard box with chinkshit phone -

Definitely going for the rift, especially considering their awesome controllers which one retard ITT somehow manages to shit on.

Quest apparently got decent inside out tracking but lighthouse tracking would still be superior

OP Here, im doing some research now and Im looking into the Rift S as it seems the most clean design. Having to set up desk cams is too unintuitive

>no IPD
>actually worse than the original Rift in many ways

nah, go for the Samsung Odyssey then. Or Quest if the hardware constraints don't matter to you. And setting up the Lighthouse base stations are actually not that difficult, especially considering they are passive and won't require you to connect them to the PC

Unplugged mine for now. Not enough software.

Phone vr is not an option. WMR headsets like the Lenovo Explorer should be the one on the poorfag tier.

a shit sorry m8. Completely forgot about that one. yes that's the poorfag tier, and it's pretty good for the price

Waiting on my valve index, but so far it's all the hype.

Valve Index is great but it's also very expensive. Far from the only product that makes sense if you don't have that much money.

Also Rift CV1 in OPs pic does not have inside-out tracking. And either way I disagree, I had a CV1 and now Quest, and I don't notice much difference in tracking.

what kind of games do you play? Playing anything where you have to touch your own body or other object without looking is impossible with inside out tracking. the normies that exclusively play racing games, vr chat and beatsaber wouldn't notice because they're never actually using those features. So unless Quest does something extremely different (it doesn't) then you're going to lose inputs all the time.

op here, the rift s looks like a great option as it blends the best of the two other rift iterations together

Are there other headsets which use LCD besides the Index? I think I'd prefer OLED tbqh.

current VR tech is in a pretty good spot for enthusiast users, valve is realising their second gen unit soon. The big break through was room scale experiences where your position in the room matters.

valve's second gen is coming soon? i dont even think they are finished filling out their day 1 orders on their first headset

There are some cons to the Rift S. The tracking, while I think it's fine, is not as good in some cases as says, and also it doesn't have IPD adjustment meaning that it will be somewhat blurry if you have a very high or low IPD.

Im on the same boat user but the more I learn the more saving and waiting for the Index makes sense. If you dont want to drop 1k I suggest you look on ebay and offerup for Rifts or HTC vibes depending which one you want, ive seen deals for good condition sets for good prices.

Attached: 1482535052243.jpg (904x692, 112K)

cringe image kys faggot

youtube.com/watch?v=cfdtd6ZHBlY

that's shit
youtube.com/watch?v=Js7Y1H5D8cY
that's way better.

>should I VR?
Yes.
I just got the new rift S.
>I don't need any infrared broadcasting stands
>Higher rez
Jesus, I never would have thought VR is so fun
Get Robo Recall, its good shit user

I picked up a clearance sale PSVR like an user said and have been using it as a second monitor. Damn this thing is comfy. I've thrifted an old 360 Kinect, and want to know how to get PCVR set up and going.

Yeah the Index is supposed to start releasing in September. It's all V2 components. Knuckles controller, second gen base stations, and the new head unit which has 1440p screens for each eye

Attached: IioT3C62_400x400.jpg (400x400, 32K)

How much did you pay for the PSVR?

150 burgers plus tip at Walmart for the second generation headset. Comes with Doom and the camera both of which I don't need so I probably net lower if I can sell it.
Kinect was like 5 bucks in a baggie hidden behind a Barbie doll.

vr is a meme

The Lenovo explorer is absolute dogshit. It should be sold for $50

I got the rift with touch controllers when they where 400 knicker and had a lot of fun with it, there are some very cool experiences to be had but the majority of games are more like tech demos you'll play for a few hours...the only stuff I find myself coming back to is super hot vr, project cars and I'm looking forward to the vr update to no man's sky. Super hot is actually my daily cardio at the moment, 45 minutes of dodging and twirling around in that usually gets me a bit sweaty and breathless, most games I e played are not quite so energetic though.

>he doesn't know pepes are post-post-ironic and ironically cool again on boards like Jow Forums
>he gets this rustled
Wew

Attached: 1481585690633m.jpg (1024x902, 107K)

Is there a "best" headset, regardless of price?

Probably the Index if you're completely ignoring price

It doesn't even have OLED though. I like my blacks to be perfect.

The blacks aren't perfect in the headsets that use OLED either. Just because OLED screens in phones and TVs have perfect blacks doesn't mean the kind of OLEDs used in VR (which are very different and prioritize preventing smearing at high framerates) do too.

I'd still be surprised if an LCD panel came anywhere close though, but perhaps I'm missing the bigger picture of how much things like reduced screen door effect and high refresh rate matters.

not to mention, the OLED brun-in hud issues are still here. if you really want perfect blacks, wait till they start coating Micro LED display with vantablack or something.

Im going with whatever boneworks is about
Current rift user

Arizona Sunshine is awesome man.

Will you shut up about the vantablack. That's not the issue here.

I know, but if they really want deep black, that's the endgame.

no, the rift controllers are the main argument for it, anyone have any luck using rift controllers with a Vive?

Whatever you do, try it first. all VR to me = Vomit Reality

If you can get a Rift CV1, it's a pretty good choice. Rift S is worse in many ways and not worth it, so Vive is the only real alternative, but its controllers are worse and it's more expensive. WMR on the other hand has the worst tracking on the market, so it's only worth recommending for specific use cases where you know you won't be limited by its bad tracking and not as a general-purpose headset which you expect to be able to play everything properly.

No, Rift controllers are vastly superior to wands. Index controllers are better but they're not even shipping yet and the entire system is in an entirely different price bracket. If you're willing to spend that much, then yes, Index with Index controllers will likely be better.

>anyone have any luck using rift controllers with a Vive?
Highly unlikely, I think the Rift controllers connect to the Rift itself, so you need a whole Rift for them to work and the Rift needs to be active. In addition to that you also need the Rift sensors to track them too.

they're not talking about the rift/vive controllers.
they're talking about the valve index controllers which blow everything else out of the water.
eventually you're going to need(WANt) to buy them.

OLED headsets don't have perfect blacks, the pixels never actually turn off completely in order to avoid black smear. The black level is pretty good, but it's clearly visible that it isn't actually black in very dark scenes. This is a shitty phone picture of my own Rift in a dark (but not completely black) room, while displaying complete "black" and nothing else. You can clearly see the light coming through even with a shitty phone camera and extra ambient light around, you can see it even more when you actually wear the headset.

Attached: rift black.jpg (2592x1940, 1.35M)

Naw it's lasers senpai

?

XTAL is the absolute best. Watch sweviver on YouTube use it. It costs 5K and has the best image quality out of all the headsets while needing less GPU horsepower to run it

Stop shilling gimped (((vr))) you autist. Faggots who buy shit like this are soon bored when they(surprisingly) realise that there's not much they can do with their quasi-vr headsets. They then go on to shit on vr as a whole and sperg about it everywhere.

Still cheaper than htc shit

Could you tell me why do you find Rift S worse than the regular Rift? I've been using Rift for some time and I liked S as the resolution was way better, but I hate the new controllers

I'dbuy that for a 50 dollar. How is the linux support on WMR headsets? Or the other headsets for that matter, i'm interested in trying some sims like X-plane so inside out tracking is enough

How shit are these head-mounted display units for just reading, browsing, or other 2D desktop activities?

Multiple reasons
>No IPD adjustment
>worse audio
>lower refresh rate
>(somewhat) worse controllers, not like they're awful though
>worse tracking, doesn't even work in the dark AFAIK
It's a downgrade in pretty much every way except for pixel density. I particularly would not sacrifice tracking, IPD adjustment and refresh rate in a headset, especially not for what's only a somewhat small increase in resolution. CV1 is just a better choice as a general-purpose headset which can be expected to work well for all content and for pretty much every person who might use one.

Pretty bad because the resolution isn't very good on most of them. Using them for a lot of very fine, high detail graphics like small text is pretty much the worst use case, they're not good with that.

>no IPD
Doesn't matter with gen 1.5 Oculus lenses. Huge sweetspot! Even the Oculus Go was superior at the time unless your IPD was so fucked up your face probably wouldn't fit the device anyway.

I think the only be headset with any support for Linux is the HTC vive. There is openHMD drivers but wmr and the rift aren't completely supported (i.e positional tracking missing)

Not even Oculus themselves buys that garbage excuse, hence why they actually have adjustable IPD on the Quest. If they actually believed that they could make lenses good enough to not require IPD adjustment, they would have done so on the Quest and have a product which lacks the adjustable mechanism and is cheaper to make.

Physical IPD adjustment only works when you move the lens AND the screens. Single screen IPD will never exist as it can be done in software.

I bought a rift, and it's a lot of fun. I actually gained stereoscopic 3D vision from playing the games (my eyes didn't work together properly before, not allowing me to see in 3D).

>Physical IPD adjustment only works when you move the lens AND the screens
Yes, thank you Captain Obvious. That's why it's cheaper to make a headset with no IPD adjustment, which is what Oculus chose to do with Rift S, but went with the superior and more expensive solution for Quest (and the original CV1).

No, vive is the worst for controllers, but knuckles will basically be a second-generation rift touch controller. It goes

Knuckles > oculus touch >>>>>> vive wand

The only exception is if you have hamhands, rift touch (original model, not quest/S model) will be bad for you.

If ignoring price, best headset is that pimax headset. Biggest fov and resolution, steamvr compatible. Recommends a 1080ti minimum IIRC.

Boneworks will be on rift too, rift touch have similar enough inputs that the difference won't be that significant I think.

Probably one of those enterprise-oriented 5000EUR headsets I'd imagine, I don't really keep track of them to know which since they're too expensive anyway.

not OP, but just checked ebay for used pc vr headsets. How come they are pretty cheap(relatively speaking)? What's the catch?

Which ones? Right now they might be cheap because the oculus rift S and oculus quest just came out, and the valve index is "replacing" the vive soon as their standard headset. Whenever you see a cheap model, it may just be someone upgrading and just selling to move it on quickly.

Also, check the model, anything with sensor tracking (vive, original rift, anything valve makes or valve-compatible) will require sensors to be used, so you might be paying a low price just for a headset, no sensors (esp. Since valve's angle is that once you have their sensors, you just buy new hardware and keep the old sensors).

But also, it's been nearly 5 years of commercial vr now, they have slowly worked the prices down and the software up. You might just be seeing the result of the market finally becoming normal levels of affordable. Mind you that even entry level headsets for games are now 400 USD bought brand-new.

parts = bin quest
lenovo = rift s

>1080ti minimum
So if you have exactly that, you might expect a good experience, but not great?

Good experience in the context of meeting your minimum fps is relative. Personally on a monitor I am fine with 30fps 4k, but need a minimum of 60 fps on a headset and continue to be sensitive to detail. It doesn't make sense to use average fps for vr, if you start seeing tearing you get sick. Most people seem to be a bit more sensitive than I to be sickness as well so it is best to go with Oculus' rule of thumb of 90fps. There is no way a 1080ti is doing 8k@90fps

Guess I'm going with the Index then. I've tried VR and am definitely not immune to sickness.

You misunderstand what user said - all headsets are capable of at least 80fps, its up to the gpu whether you can reach them or not.

The catch is youre looking at 5 year old technology when the new headsets are being released.

I said I have a 1080ti though.

>Valve Index controllers are a stupid idea right now
Everything about the Index is looking 5+ years ahead, except the per-eye resolution. Even if there's little support for individual fingers now it's going to be essential in the next generation for sure.

The conclusion makes sense even if we should be able to run an 8k headset at 4k. Also isn't the PiMax 60fps?
For me the whole shitfest with gpus is trying to get one that can run vr smoothly without paying a grand just for the gpu. I've already sunk a grand into trying to build my model of an omnidirectional treadmill and still expect to spend another grand for the second iteration.

Yeah, so it doesnt really matter which headset it is. A 1080ti is said to be sufficient even for the HP reverb's 2160x2160 screens so it's fine

HP Reverb shits on everything else resolution-wise but Valve Index has better refresh rates.

Varjo VR-1

Any have any idea what the minimum GPU for Valve Index @144Hz would be? Currently have a 1060 but looking at 2080s and the new AMD Navi stuff.

No, they are allegedly selling the entire lot (headset, sensors, controllers, etc.) for like sub 300/400 bucks. I think I even saw a vive pro for under 300.
Vr prices really need to go down. At this point, people are basically paying hands and legs for what are peripherals.

You're probably going to have to look at a 2080ti. A 1080ti struggles to maintain 144 FPS except on simplistic games like superhot.

The 2080ti can't even handle constant +144hz even at 1080p across multiple AAA titles at ultra.

I want to try VR, but I'm a uni student with very little disposable income. My options are
>10€ for a chink VR phone box
>50€ bucks for a Daydream 1 (can probably get one used for half that amount)
>100€ for a Daydream 2
>200€ for a used Rift CV1
Anything else is just out of my reach. Either this, or forgetting about VR altogether for the next two years and a half until I have my master degree in rocket science at which point I'll be able to afford whatever I want.

Screen resolution isn't all there is to it, FoV also matters. Pimax headsets have ridiculously huge target rendering resolutions, much greater than their screen resolution. I don't know the technical reasons as to why exactly they work that way, I assume it's something due to how they have to warp the image for their lenses to reach the FoV or some shit. Pimax 8K would also have higher resolution, with 3840x2160 per eye.

fuck. I don't know if I can justify that.

The Rift is a pain in the ass to set up the sensors, if you have little flexibility in space as is the case for most uni students I would go with the HP reverb and just settle for less than stellar input with perhaps the possibility of a third party device down the road.

Didn't the 8K use some sort of upscaling baloney that made it practically the same as the 5K? Maybe even worse since its not the native resolution. AFAIK the display controller on them cant actually handle native 2x4k

I was wondering about that. I would have figured they use two controllers. In any case I don't want to waste valuable over half my gpu resources on peripheral vision

>HP reverb
>$600
As I said, most I can afford is a €200~250 used Rift (used Vive start at €300). Space wise, I got around two square meters of space available before my desk, idk if that's enough.

I thought one of the models supported the full signal resolution, but not all of them or something like that. Maybe I'm wrong, could be.

>The Pimax 8K X is a variant of the Pimax 8K that solves the cable bandwidth limitation by using two DisplayPort cables, thus allowing native 4K resolution per eye, without the visual compromise from upscaling a 5K signal. As of February 2019, the Pimax 8K X has not been publicly presented.

They keep releasing half-baked shit and then coming out with "new" models when the tech from their initial claims actually arrives...

And btw two 4K displays being 8K is the VR equivalent of "999,999,999 games in 1"

I don't even want to think about the type of PC you'd need to run something intensive like Blade and Sorcery at a stable 90 hertz for that.

Blade and sorcery is "intensive"? Shit looks like something out of vr chat