/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1559837396320.jpg (3000x4000, 1.52M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=huFYl8-Omws
linuxfoundation.org/membership/members/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What linux desktop client allows me to post emojis on Jow Forums?

That’s not very friendly of you user.

speaking of stupid questions, how do i make my terminals not look like shit?
i'm not talking 'bout rice, but tiny black text over white background is getting painful

Depends on the terminal. Many have dedicated configuration files (And many of those have built-in GUIs to manipulate them instead of having to directly edit the files), while others (most notably xterm and urxvt) use .Xresources

We do not know
The mystery remains unsolved

Attached: confuse.png (2170x1958, 624K)

i tried both xterm and urxvt, but trying to use ./Xresources makes them crash
can you suggest some gui tool to at leaste set colors?

You can post them from anywhere. 4chin doesn't allow emojis because they are blocked unicode characters but every now and then a new one is added and you can use it before hiro blocks it.

What did you put in .Xresources to make them crash? If you want to change colours it's mainly
*.foreground: COLOR
*.background: COLOR
*.colorN: COLOR
For N from 0 to 15 and a colour name or hash code for each COLOR.

I like most of the design principles of Gnome but why just WHY is it so fucking slow and just shit in general.
Like holy fuck how can the DE be so minimalist and yet resizing windows or opening the app explorer be so sluggish, why does it take so much ram, why does it get progressively slower during your session.

I seriously think gnome's goal is to destroy linux from the inside because all the major distros use it as first class.

subscribe to Luke Smith for cool linux videos

Attached: 1533001543850.jpg (400x400, 20K)

subscribe to Linus Torvalds

Attached: kmveovz1lfy11.png (1100x618, 467K)

try Mate

Is Manjaro a bad first distro to learn coming from windows?

I don't want something so hard it'll turn me off altogether and end up back on windows, but I don't want something that necessarily is so easy I don't see the point

Explain this shit to me. Apparently I'm too much of a brainlet to understand Ubuntu.
>What is the difference in stability between LTS Ubuntu and regular? Is there something between whatever the newest is and LTS? I don't like the idea of running a "bleeding-edge Ubuntu".
>Why is it said that Ubuntu has newer stuff on it, when I can just use Debian Testing? Are the people who say this comparing Ubuntu non-LTS to Debian Stable?
>Why is it said that Ubuntu LTS has newer stuff on it, when it's about as out of date as Debian Stable (approx 2 years)?
>Why do Debian users have problems with dependencies but Ubuntu users do not?

Attached: l.jpg (960x720, 88K)

>gnome's goal is to destroy linux from the inside
*to destroy gnu from the inside
since it's the main GNU desktop
Also it's amazing how Stallman remains silent when it comes to more complicated issues like this one, and only repeats his old 80's "if it's under GPL it's ok" as if software in this age can't be interfered with through different means which he just can't (or refuses to) see.

Has anyone played YUME MIRU KUSURI in a windows 8.1 VM? for some reason when I lunch all I see is a white screen, am I missing some virtual-box shit?

lts stands for lonmg term support
and calm down bucko, bleeding edge and ubuntu don't fuck with each other
manjaro is kind of a wierd spot imo
it's far too advanced for beginners, but someone who knows his shit would just install arch and whatever he pleases

I'm using KDE right now and it's nice but the amount of customization just creates more problems at some point which is why I think gnome's design principles are better even if giving up control sucks.
I think it's possible to configure KDE almost perfectly but the defaults distros have need to be polished more for the average user. i.e. stuff like kwallet is just a cancer and needs to be disabled by default.
Another thing is not having anti-tearing on by default for Intel HD graphics which is just fucking insane in the current year and this is a problem with all distros.
And another problem I always deal with and see others deal with it washed out colors on external monitors and the fix to that is an xrandr command (xrandr --output _ --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"). WHY IS NOT A DEFAULT? WHGKWRIGJERIGQ)

I just want to go and fix all these issues myself because I'm so fucking sick of dealing with them and don't want others to deal with them but I don't know how or why or where.

so, did you try Mate? and how about Cinnamon

Install MX Linux, it's a sane option.

I bought a thinkpad with an nVidia GPU (for windows games). I know it won't play nice with Ubuntu but is there a way to straight up disable it since I'll only ever need iton Windows

youtube.com/watch?v=huFYl8-Omws

Attached: 1497898828877.webm (480x360, 1.63M)

It works just fine with GNU plus Linux as long as you use the proprietary drivers and don't use wayland(which won't be a problem for now).

Is pop os any good?

>poop! os

iirc it's just debian

Why does God use gentoo?

He would prefer TempleOS.

I have the feel you people are bots. Reply with a sane message to prove you're real.

what the FUCK is his problem?

u mad?

Attached: 2795415-9653374716-king..jpg (300x300, 13K)

even satan would use it only when hell freezes over

His autism was never treated and only encouraged, so his sense of self worth is bloated and elevated beyond redemption

Just a friendly reminder that you're not using the best Linux distro

Attached: hanna-montana-linux.webm (1280x720, 2.46M)

*she
Stop posting western.

Go back to recording YouTube videos, Linux.

this general isn't very friendly

How can I make this in bash loop in subfolders and subfolders of thse subfolders etc?
for file in New/*; do

Nevermind, figured it out for anyone wondering:
find "New/" -type f | while read file; do

man bash /globstar
shopt -s globstar
for i in ./**; do

actually ./**/* is better

Linux is a kernel

for you

How does it feel being cucked by all companies you tried to escape from?
linuxfoundation.org/membership/members/

LF being shit is no news. The good thing is that Linux is GPL'd, so if they try to destroy it, someone will fork it. But that's not going to happen since Linux is LFs money cow. You don't kill your best cow.

They won't kill Linux, but I don't think these companies are here to shill for Free Software and Copyleft. That's the issue.

what's that command line linux program that connects you to a random VPN from its repository? i forget the name of it and i need it now

Attached: photo_2019-06-04_21-56-45.jpg (1000x1000, 121K)

>ubuntu: botnet crap
>mint: broken ubuntu, painted green
>manjaro: i don't want to change my system clock
>debian: i don't want to hunt down WiFi drivers
>arch: no installer
any good distros?

linux

bruh

void, completely unironically.

Attached: 1560124336468.jpg (2732x4000, 1.85M)

Fedora

Fedora is for onions that tip their hats on enterprise buzzwords.

is the lead dev still missing?

learn to install arch or find an antergos installer before they vanish

>>debian: i don't want to hunt down WiFi drivers
add nonfree, apt install driver, remove nonfree
What's so difficult

i think so, but a bunch of competent devs stepped up and took the reigns.

How to build gentoo on one computer and install it on another?

Would it work to just install the whole system to extra partitions on the livecd, go boot the livecd on the target machine, partition the target disk separately, and just copy all the files over? (Adjusting fstab accordingly, of course.)

My use case is that I want to install gentoo on computers that are too low-spec to compile large amounts of code in an acceptable time frame.

Ideally, to eliminate bloat from source code (since I'm not going to be able to feasibly upgrade the system from the computer that runs it, regardless of whether the source code is present) I would want to install a frozen pure-binary system snapshot with the portage package manager removed. If I ever absolutely had to upgrade, I would just boot the livecd on a more powerful computer and upgrade the stored system I'd produced the snapshot from in the first place, and then install a fresh frozen pure-binary snapshot to the target computer from that upgrade. Is it feasible to do things this way?

Attached: gentoo-logo.png (666x800, 119K)

>trademark symbol in your logo
why is gentoo so cucked

No, it's just for normal people

you can't take free software project's name retard
if you modified the code and wish to publish it you gotta change the name

>she
Heretical tranny detected

Gentoo is a open source project.

>nmcli connects successfully
>internet doesn't work
bravo

what is the output of ip a?

What's the best tool to get a good network overview to see which program cennects when where?

>cennects
nise engrish

Nmap is what your are looking for.

wlp3s0 is the chip

Attached: IMG_20190610_124535.jpg (2596x745, 699K)

>I've never used nmap

Did you use dhcp or assign that ip statically?
If you ping a host, does it time out or fail to resolve the domain name?

dhcp
fail to resolve

So its probably an error with your dns server. ping an ip (like 1.1.1.1) and if that works, set your dns server to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 and see if you can connect to the internet

its not, since my dns is provided by my pihole and I have 3 other devices currently connected just fine. this same laptop also connects fine on arch so I don't understand why this is fucked

Can you ping an ip? or does that fail to resolve?

tried one of google's and it says destination host unreachable

thanks for trying to help but don't worry about it for now. i'm gonna do a fresh reinstall anyway first

No problem user, sorry i couldn't help fix your problem

Intending to dual boot Win10 with Fedora already installed. Three questions:

>1
Since all my Linux stuff is partitioned under xfs, if I free up space for W10, should I be able to install W10 without overwriting my xfs Fedora partition?

>2
How do you resize an xfs partition? I understand that you have to backup the contents, delete the partition, and then move the backup into a new, smaller partition?

>3
Is it easier to just backup your data, delete Linux, install Windows, and do a fresh Linux install to complete the dual boot setup?

You should not use Windows at all.

>Is it easier to just backup your data, delete Linux, install Windows, and do a fresh Linux install to complete the dual boot setup?
Yes, because windows will overwrite your bootloader, meaning you will have to chroot back into your linux install and reinstall it

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1518371956166.jpg (640x635, 95K)

Okay, thanks. I was thinking that maybe partitioning magic could have saved me in this situation.

Out of curiosity, is there any way to prevent Windows from doing that - even if it's impractical and inconvenient.

which uses free software (linux)

Not that I know of, but that is windows for you, the user has no control of their (((own))) devices.

Linux hasn't been free software since 1993 when the first proprietary blobs got merged.

Then fork it, nigger

how about you nigger over to ?

so xubuntu is slow as hell as soon as I try watching youtube and doing something else in another window. what should distro should I try that's faster? my specs are
intel celeron n2830 @ 2.4ghz
4gb ram

So I bought a Chromebook just 'cause, a Lenovo 14e (4GB RAM, AMD A4-9120C processor, 32GB eMMC storage), and just found out about GalliumOS. Looks pretty cute. Now I had a look around the compatibility list and didn't notice anything about AMD processors listed. What's the worst that could happen if I fuck around and install it anyway? Or would Lubuntu work better?

As you can clearly see, I'm inexperienced with Linux. I want to learn.

Attached: 1373465713753.png (400x400, 81K)

install gentoo

That's Microsoft for you.

I'm trying to wean myself off of it, with the exception of gaymen. Honestly, except for that, I really haven't been missing Windows.

Just change de/wm. Changing distro is not going to make much of a difference.

Windows is cancer. The sooner you ditch it, the better.

as long as you know how to reinstall chromeOS in the off chance your hardware isn't compatible, you'll be fine man.

do gallium, give it a whirl

What's better:
>compromise GNU/Linux by running steam natively
>compromise PC by running steam in Windows 10 dual boot

Cam Windows do any harm in a dual boot to GNU/Linux?
What's your recommendation to allow gaming with the least possible compromise

Despite being 1% of games' userbases, Linux users generate 20% of bug reports.

if ur a richfag just buy a seperate computer and use it as winshit gaming console

>What's your recommendation
wine with the Z: drive disabled