Urbit,org

What does Jow Forums think or Urbit? What about Yarvin as a person?

Attached: -AafIbEP_400x400.jpg (400x400, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

urbit.org/posts/a-founders-farewell/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's been 6 years and I still don't understand what it's supposed to be.

Code for urbit looks cool but Yarvin is a reactionary politard.

pyramid scheme

>Your Urbit is a personal cloud server. A simple, private, general-purpose virtual computer on an encrypted P2P network. Your Urbit is your digital passport, your digital vault, and your digital assistant.

Urbit's cool and Yarvin's philosophy is also cool.

So... a computer but with another name?

Yeah, kinda. Re-thought from the ground up.

Urbit is probably the only long term solution to corporatization of the internet.

except it runs as a dameon on a *nix server
dumb shit

Yarvin left Urbit in January.

Forgot link
urbit.org/posts/a-founders-farewell/

I hope he starts writing again.

Terminal case of NIH syndrome.

Their concept is just a very pretentious way of saying "run a server nigga", literally the only people who care enough about privacy and data ownership already have the know-how and are actively using it or can easily learn it.

It looks interesting, and there may be a time when I'm in need of a home server solution. I've read a lot of his blog, and it's certainly longwinded. The arguments he makes are quite simple but there's a lot of set up because they're generally not things most readers will have had any prior exposure to. Calling Dawkins a Protestant religious fanatic doesn't make a lot of sense otherwise.

tempted to buy a point. you can find them for ~10 usd

buy satoj bsv

I enjoyed reading him back when I was an open-minded progressive. Urbit has a very nice programming model, but it'll probably need someone to clone it with more familiar aesthetics to succeed.

>Nock, our machine language, is like a pico-Lisp with no symbols. It's a homoiconic purely functional machine code with 12 opcodes and one universal datatype, the noun: an acyclic binary tree that is either a number (which can also represent an arbitrarily large bytestream) or a cell, which is a pair of nouns.

Hah, they're just reinventing plan9 and plain stealing shit from picolisp.
For some reason I just cant stand all the fucking names they give to EVERYTHING, can this thing get any more pretentious?
Whats next? They'll have a stack based simplex computing model/engine named Faou'rth?

>philosophy
which is entirely unpractical, just like urbit is
if he wants to write shit essays, he can do just that

it's incredibly bad at explaining itself
even when it tries to, it remains being opaque and incomprehensible, which leads me to believe that's exactly the goal

It's intentional to filter brainlets

Urbit is what happens when a programmer smokes way too much weed and has a grand epiphany about how to reinvent the universe. Stoner ramblings in source-code form, ridiculously elaborated.

I own like 1/256th of the Urbit address space.

You own a galaxy?

Yes, they're stealing shit specifically from PicoLisp.

No, it's to draw victims in, make them invested and filter out the non-gullible. You see this all the time with pyramid schemes and other scams.

how is anyone making money from this?

Unlike pyramid schemes, there is actually something behind it to understand if you aren't a brainlet.

Development is funded by auctioning off the address space.

watch Yarvin's lambdaconf talk and see if you still think it's a pyramid scheme then. the guy is obviously a genius and genuinely thinks that this is the answer to the facebook-isation of the internet.

can't find a first name. is this Curtis Yarvin, who used to post weird stories to talk.bizarre?

>

Curtis goes down to his garage to reinvent computing. Or something.

oh, holy shit, it is him. how the mighty have fallen!

yep, it's him

i was going to say "why doesn't he quit that nonsense, come back to talk.bizarre and write that good shit like 'Sanford's Calico'...", but that was Andrew Solburg.

>watch Yarvin's lambdaconf talk and see if you still think it's a pyramid scheme then.

Setting up Bridge, step 3: You will need some Etherium -

dropped

Also a cDc member. His stories are in the cDc story archive on textfiles.

If you did some deeper reading, you’d realise that there is a perfectly good reason for this.

Barrier to entry = less spam on the network. This also provides a fixed identity unlike something like an IP address which can easily be changed, so if you start throwing spam around the network, other nodes can just blacklist you.

Funny that the world's most right-wing libertarian is trying to kill hundreds of corporations in one blow and replace them with a P2P system

Do they have a reasonable a programming language ported yet?

Jow Forums here. I own several stars so I don't have to kill myself if this takes off. It's structured suspiciously like a pyramid scheme but only time will tell. Might turn out a total scam but my primary hobby is researching and investing in autistic shit like this.

Based, I'm extremely jealous to be honest. If God blesses me with a 100x on one of my shitcoins I'm definitely going to find a galaxy for myself.