Anyone done a chest freezer to fridge conversion?

It's supposed to be super efficient

Attached: 1553871889829.jpg (2048x1536, 1.06M)

>It's supposed to be super efficient
It is; however, your conventional, upright refrigerator has a mode to control moisture in the conditioned volume. You don't get that with a chest freezer conversion. Occasionally, you will need to empty the chest and dry it out.

This. Can't imagine it being easy to put stuff in and take stuff out either even if you added in racks. And shoving everything together just sounds like spoilage waiting to happen.

It works very well to save $$.
Turn the temp all the way down.

The downsides are space effeciency.
You don't want to turn it on it's side because it will lose all of the cold when opened so you need to use organizers/shelves to access stuff.

If you live in a colder area you can wait till it freezes up and set it up to only cycle the motor on every couple hours to maintain the frost.

You can get DC powered ones for a solar panel + battery setup too or for RVs.

Put a load of bottles full of water in the fridge. Thermal mass. Square bottles would be best.

would piss bottle work?

I read all the posts so far but still have not a single clue what the fuck this thread is about.

>brainlet.jpg

In case there is some dummy in this thread who doesn't understand it works like this:
>cold air is heavier than hot air
>so unless it is colder outside of your fridge the air inside your fridge is heavier than the air on the outside of it
>if you have a vertical fridge all of the cold air will fall out after you open the door for a few seconds
>if you have a chest fridge or chest freezer the cold air is trapped inside like soup in a bowl thus making it more efficient.

Attached: 1558557902996.png (666x958, 722K)

I still don't understand anything. What is this relevant for? Are you going to put a computer in it?

Contrary to popular belief, fridges are /technology/.

Cool, but I'll just work ever so slightly harder to pay the $2 I'll save by years end.

It means less energy is wasted when you open a chest freezer.
You ever feel that rush of cold air on your legs when open an upright freezer? That's all of the cold air falling out. Ever notice how the upright freezer instantly starts running afterwards? It is now burning $$ because you opened the upright freezer for 10 seconds.

>It is now burning $$
God damn (((they))) really did a number on us

Alright, I finally get it. The rest of the posts too. Weird thread.

Jenkem's better - more density.

>sounds like spoilage waiting to happen.
this - anything at the bottom is going to be covered in frozen blood etc.

Are there any upright fridges with sections close off that you have to individually open? To minimise the amount of cold air lost

Im poor, my room has a window opening to a small roof section that only I can access. It's pretty comfy as I'm surrounded by trees, I keep my food outside there in the colder months and turn off the mini chest fridge. Even put out a reclining chair and my desktop to lower temperature.

Most fridges have a separate door for the frozen and the cold section.

Attached: 509f663179cb5ce35111534bc9294365.jpg (618x463, 12K)

>I keep my food outside there in the colder months and turn off the mini chest fridge.
how is life in russia?

Haha. it's ok, I try to stay positive. It's comfy in its own way but fuck the heat and fuck the mosquitos. I have a job coming up where I might move internationally, but I don't think I would want to immigrate anywhere else permanently, home is home.

Attached: 1500577004594.png (1920x1080, 1.99M)

Go for the ones that have a chest-drawer freezer on bottom. Since the freezer slides open, the cold will not fall out.

Attached: Freezer on bottom.jpg (479x479, 11K)

Fuck efficiency

Attached: carvinator.jpg (2016x1512, 666K)

Attached: kelvinator2.jpg (1512x2016, 636K)

>garage of white trash

anyone know how many watts these refrigators use?

i wanna put one in my van

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-06-09 18-49-38.png (976x542, 90K)

The amount of heat gained through opening the fridge is negligible compared to the 24/7 ~40W of heat loss through the insulation. Most of the "cold" is held in the objects in the fridge, not the air itself.

I'm betting the chest-style freezers simply have better insulation and the gasket is pressurized by the lid, so you get less heat getting in.

>Delorean
I kind of hate these, just a bad car. What are you doing with it?

Oh it is an absolutely terrible car. I replaced the transmission. Now I'm just finishing up some underbody work while I have access.

RCA get slapped on everything these days. Tell me...where is the radio?

All bullshit aside my GE appliances are still running fine. Fridge/Microwave/Oven all date to 2003/2004 and my downstairs fridge dates to least 1980 (sticker on it says 79). Meanwhile my 2008 era maytag dishwasher has had three parts replaced on it thus far.

>being THIS poor
no wonder you sour grape about the apple monitor stand
your time is truly worthless

I think my refrigerator costs like $7 a month to run. The fuck kind of savings are you looking at to give up the convenience of a normal ass refrigerator?

Attached: 4120C640807B46718FB8BD07C612630C.jpg (715x480, 87K)

idk what bumfuck freezers you have but mine has slide out boxes and covers so the cold air that seeps out is negligible

Attached: Samsung_RB29FSJNDSA1_100044323_100000241_3401000133.jpg_2.jpg (1500x1500, 92K)

Attached: MCSA00465604_D3760_GSN58AW30G_90059_def.jpg (1002x2000, 178K)

ah shit we're talking about fridges not freezers. sleep deprivation... but fridges have slide out boxes too to some extent and the loss is really negligible you ultra cheapskates

Attached: MCSA02288302_H9564_1694436_KSV36AW4P_PGA5_def.jpg (2000x1125, 177K)

also the shelves are sealed off from each other so there isn't too much airflow or any huge temperature gradient within the shelf opening

Attached: u_10151295.jpg (1000x887, 47K)

I thought this thread was about using a freezer as a computer case to refrigerate your computer

Makes 2 of us

Get a 12v fridge that are made for RVs. They're pricey for their size but typically way more power efficient

Attached: Untitled.png (1353x954, 298K)