/wdg/ - Web Development General

Previous thread: >>Jow Forumsthread/71302517/wdg-web-development-general

>Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0 [Open]

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further learning resources and documentation
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials from across the web for learning languages and libraries (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages (generally not sufficient on their own for learning something, but very helpful)
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A - Collection of PHP links.

>Asking questions
jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

Attached: Best-YouTube-Channels-To-Learn-Web-Development.jpg (800x400, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vertx.io/
techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r17&hw=ph&test=query
nodeschool.io/
sarahelizabethpitts.com/
sarahelizabethpitts.com/images/Resume-Sarah-Pitts.pdf
linkedin.com/in/sarah-elizabeth-pitts-17a11aa5
smatchcube.neocities.org/SICP/Ex1.13.html
codepen.io/luiscarvalho/pen/zBazkZ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is web development too basic for someone with a software engineering degree?

No?

Excellent... I'll have a degree next year and I'm spending the summer working on projects and learning useful languages/tech, I'm gonna start with javascript and web dev

>I'm gonna start with javascript and web dev
Well that's where you're doing it wrong. JS is basic shit and has no place in backends unless you're a retard. Just don't fall for the .NET Core meme. Go and JVM are fine.

Thoughts on codeacademy?

Is client side basic and server side where the real tech is? That's the impression I have. I'm good with java and I'd be down to learn Go. The web dev in 2019 video in OP recommends node.js, is that just because web devs already know js from client side?

also I should probably learn javascript anyways right? Even if I only do client side web dev

If you're good with Java, take a look at vertx.io/
Yes. You'll have to learn it anyway.

Two weeks ago I was working on a side project. The database, backend and minimal frontends are ready but I wanted to add more interactivity to the frontend so I started looking around "modern" javascript solutions for that.

I got depressed and started gaming instead. It's been two weeks that all I do on my free time is play CSGO.

Hey at least I got Prime (the hard way) yesterday.

>JS is basic shit and has no place in backends
>Go and JVM are fine.
please stop trolling people who are just asking genuine questions

hi everyone! How do I use Akamai? Is it like cloudflare where you just point your dns to use it? Or is it like a folder I need to push files into that will then be served by akamai?

I've only ever used cloudflare as a cdn for a website, and I'm curious how images and videos are shared via a cdn

Uhm what? The only time you would ever use JS in backends is for landing pages you fucking moron,

Hi everyone, I'm about to make an online game using socket.io, mysql, express, and maybe typescript. What game should I make that will impress employers with my abilities?

btw I turned 20 a week ago

>JS in backends is for landing pages
what the fuck are you even talking about?

You can use Node for enterprise projects just fine and many fuckhuge companies do just that.
Just like many use PHP or Java or C# or whatever else. All of these are completely valid option and Node especially is still gaining lots of popularity for a good reason.

techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r17&hw=ph&test=query

lmfao, enjoy your lack of real multithreading and shit performance. Nobody uses node.js for actual logic in the backend (except for zoomer webtards who have no clue about anything)

please help me. The only limitation I have is that it must be 2D and multiplayer

sex dating sim

>hapi 7x faster than koa
lol, how is this shit even configured?

and again, tons of companies use Node to run various of their services, but of course some random shitposter on an anime image board has it all figured out somehow.

Attached: hapi.jpg (1182x747, 161K)

how good are nodeschool.io/ tutorials?

Is 43k low for 1 year experience + bachelors?

god I hope I never work with you

wth, extremely. im making 120k out of college (california)

I'm sure this is bait, but:
>lack of "real" multithreading
Well it doesn't have fake multithreading either, but alright. Any meaningful app isn't running a single instance, wanking over benchmarks is for /dpt/.
>nobody
This is patently false, it sees use in pretty much every field in companies of all sizes. I wouldn't make it my first choice, simply because I like other languages more, but everything you said is either irrelevant or wrong.

california pay is twice what you'd make anywhere else though

Everyone always talks shit about javascript
What are the alternatives? Or is it just because these people want web 1.0 sites?

Why is it considered bad practice to have a CSS in seperate files. Wouldn't it be better to only load the css for the shopping cart page if the user actually goes to that page?

It would also be better for me as I can quickly style pages.

Attached: 1558661925786.jpg (1362x2237, 600K)

>Why is it considered bad practice to have a CSS in seperate files.
google CSS DRY

Server side js is what irks me

compiled languages get you respect, scripting languages are a novelty

Try server side c, I think theres a cgi library somewhere, there has to be

I've spent the last 2 days trying to figure out how to set up a cross account pipeline on AWS. It ain't going well. It's a whole mess of shit. On the bright side, I'm making slow progress. I'm zeroing in on how it's supposed to work. I think 2 more days will do it.

>Wouldn't it be better to only load the css for the shopping cart page if the user actually goes to that page?
nah cause if you just load it all once it will be cached, making more individual http requests (for each .css file) is worse

:

I want a grid of images as backgrounds of 300x300 divs. Each row of images should be centered on the page and should try to fit as many images on each column as possible. Images should have 25 px margins between them.

How to do?

You can do it both with grid and flex

how do you make a site that enables people to buy and sell stuff

Still working on my AWS ci/cd pipeline. Now I have a problem where my build artifacts aren't being written to my s3 bucket, and I have no idea how to fix this.

nope, someone has to make the web kits that these """"""""web developer""""""" gurls use, since they can't into actual fucking coding
sarahelizabethpitts.com/
sarahelizabethpitts.com/images/Resume-Sarah-Pitts.pdf
linkedin.com/in/sarah-elizabeth-pitts-17a11aa5
look at this shit, the site DOESN'T EVEN WORK LMAO

>tons of companies use Node to run various of their services
give me examples? Almost every big company Ive seen only uses that shit for landing services.

>local dev sweatshop made the most shittiest websites for all the local businesses in my area
FUCK. Now where am I going to get my leads?

Attached: unknown.png (837x443, 15K)

Can mouse events ever be fired without the mouse or its buttons actually moving, e.g. a mouseover / mouseenter event when a div moves / appears under an immobile cursor?

You can always programmatically fire events.

I'm more interested in knowing whether it can happen (so I can prevent it by somehow verifying if the mouse actually moved) than causing it to happen.

just make a moving div in jsfiddle, add some events, and see what happens?

They don't fire in my tests but I have no idea if that is standard across browsers and the spec does not seem too explicit on this.

Hence why I'm asking.

*scratch that, the spec says that mouseover and mouseenter SHOULD fire, but they don't in my tests

What you're saying is I should work on web kits? How do I get into that?

Yeah it's embarrassing her personal site doesn't load. Is that the result of server side JS?

*Okay, another correction. An element moving under the cursor will trigger an event, but an element moving away from under a cursor to reveal an element under it will not trigger a mouseenter/over event on any elements below that get revealed.

r u a wizard?

jk lol, I don't know JS yet. Yeah lots of things I'm reading and watching says JS is fast and flexible and if you're really good at it you can make a lot of money, and that's my end game

I need a little help.
My site looks like the following pattern(Elements are inside a div tag):
I = Image
T = Text
C1 C2
T I
I T
T I
I T

How can I make the mobile view to follow this pattern:

T
I
T
I
T
I

...what

Depends on what you use. If it's just flexboxes then just a simple direction change with a media query

Can someone explain me why the javascript on my page is not working (to display math), it works fine offline but it's not working when it's on the server. smatchcube.neocities.org/SICP/Ex1.13.html

Ok i'm retarded, i was linking a script to a local file.

Ok, I figured out the build artifact thing. I needed to add this shit to my buildspec.yml

artifacts:
files:
- dist/*

But now I have a permission issue on my deploy stage. Something's not allowed to do s3:GetObject on my build artifact bucket... I gotta figure out what.

Shill your best youtube channels with webdev stuff.
Traversy Media
Derek Banas
Coding Tech

Adam Khoury

>sarahelizabethpitts.com/
>CTRL+SHIFT+J on her webpage
>ERROR: JQUERY IS NOT DEFINED
>ERROR: $ IS NOT DEFINED

Holy shit

it's obviously because you are using it wrong.
It was designed to be loaded via http, not https.
take note

It's because she hardcoded the jQuery script src as an HTTP resource, so your browser is refusing to load it.

She probably doesn't see it herself because she's either using an old browser that doesn't care that it's insecure, or she's using a newer version of Chrome (I think on MacOS specifically) that auto-upgrades the request to HTTPS. (Maybe some other browsers do this too but idk.)

Let this be a lesson to all of /wdg/: test your site in more than one fucking browser.

Attached: lets_do_webb.jpg (638x359, 18K)

Use display: flex and flex-flow: column
Then give order to your divs
Check this example
codepen.io/luiscarvalho/pen/zBazkZ

thanks pajeet
really thanks

Can anyone recommend me a good SVN client for windows?

Use TortoiseSVN

I dont fucking understand how to make a react native project.

Do i just NPM something? I mean there must be something with the width or what, I am so confused about react in general.

It amazes me you couldn't possibly verbally explain your current design

probably a pajeet or subhuman from some 3rd world country

Reactive programming is nothing more then a programming concept or a way of thinking. Make an index.js file, insert something reactive and you've got your react native project.

ReactDOM.render(
Hello, world!,
document.getElementById('root')
);

Only coding tech from that list. Traversy Media is shit. Derek Banas used to be okay but I'm still subscribed to his channel.
Others are sentdex, FreeCodeCamp (sometimes they have good stuff), Coding Garden, Watch and Learn and a bunch of conferences related to web dev stuff.

Alright so my 2nd site is nearly done, BUT IT LOOKS LIKE ASS. How do I get to the level were its worth posting on HN/showing to normal people? Do I go learn bootstrap or use Google's Material Components and design guidelines?

Pingendo

thank me later

??? I fixed my permission issue by giving my cross account role full admin privileges. I'll have to do some testing later to figure out just what actions I was missing...

Now I got a new problem tho. I created a deploy stage which writes my build artifacts to my s3 bucket, but it doesn't delete the previous contents. I could do that by running a delete command in my build stage, but that totally defeats the purpose of having the deploy stage, so either I find a way to clear the bucket from the deploy stage or I have to re-architect my whole pipeline.

React is not reactive programming, though.

Is it even humanly posible to make the webpack dev server and browsersync play nice with wordpress?

Attached: 1555350621588.jpg (695x624, 18K)

in order to learn php all I have to do is read phptherightway and php's best practices? don't I have to learn C, nginx, composer, swoole?
I've noticed here in my area php jobs asks for OOP, although I already know OOP in theory (SOLID principles, composition over inheritance, design patterns), do I have to read an specific book about php OOP? if so what you guys recommend?

> Write long, detailed blog post
> Perfect HTML on fast loading site
> Someone from marketing posts a link on Reddit with one shitty comment
> Google first hit is that Reddit post
>Blog on page two

SEO is a fucking meme.

Asp net core hosting? Any recommendations

stop reading books, start programing php

Is there a HTML audio event for when play or autoplay has been initiated, but before it has succeeded?

the onplay and onwaiting events don't trigger until a request to the server has been completed
but I want to show a spinning loader before that, which displays until the audio request either starts playing or 404 or 403 is received

Generally you get the larger sites at the top because it involves more trustworthy content.

It's kind of the artificial ranking that led to only a few sites dominating the whole web. We use much fewer sites than we used to use 10 years ago.

Why not just initialize the state to loading?

because sometimes autoplay is blocked by the browser
But I can call play in JS rather than use the autoplay attribute, so that solves it

thanks user, got it working with
.photos-container {
display: flex;
flex-wrap: wrap;
justify-content: center;
}

.photo {
width: 300px;
height: 300px;
background-position: center center;
background-size: cover;
margin: 25px;
background-image: url('whatever.jpg");
}

nope, the code is there. That's some client side shit that is fucking breaking it

LMAO WORKS
HOLY FUCK

Flexbox or CSS grid??

Attached: Dl70TQxUUAAzhic.jpg (634x624, 92K)

What's the usual templating engine used for Spring Boot projects?

god I fucking hate CSS, is there any site where you can get snippets of it so I don't have to bother thinking of the design myself?
Example being something like a card component, I gotta use an old bootstrap and can't get the "card" element without installing some port of it.
Just simple shit like that, not the whole site design

They're for completely different things

both

What's your boyfriend using?

Guys please I'm stuck, and btw I decided I'm going to use typescript. I even set up a project that serves the front end, connects socket io, and uses Pixijs for rendering

Honestly, I would love to make an H game. It's just that I can't think of an interesting way to combine game play and art (and this will hopefully be more of a PVP game anyways). If I can conjure up an idea that works, I'll totally make something H related

any way to detect specifically 404 or 403 errors from a HTML audio element?
as far as I can see there is no way to distinguish this from a client side connection failure. Both give a networkState of NETWORK_NO_SOURCE
so I will be left having to separately poll if the file exists

Ok, I have a first iteration of my cross-account pipeline working...... and I'm really unhappy with it. In a single account pipeline, this is trivial. You can run

aws s3 sync build_artifacts s3://my_site_bucket

during the build stage, which will empty the s3 bucket and then put the new build artifacts in it. In a cross-account pipeline, the build stage should run on the devops account, and the s3 syncing should occur on the dev account. Unfortunately, when I gave the build stage the role to perform that s3 syncing on the dev account, it started trying to run the build on the dev account too (which of course failed).

My solution to this was to create a second build action in the deploy stage. This is just a barebones build action that doesn't do anything except let me run another buildspec.yml, which I called deployspec.yml, which runs the aws sync. It works, but the problem with this solution is that this second build must be created and run on the dev account, which means in order to track my pipeline I have to be logged in to both the devops account and the dev account, which completely defeats the point of having a devops account separate from dev. The point of a devops account was to have the whole cross-account pipeline in one place, but now my pipeline is sprawled over two accounts.

I need to spend like 2 more days looking for a way to make this better. This is a huge pain.

Attached: sad.png (367x873, 23K)

Why are people still building their backends with php when Go and .Net-Core exist

Attached: 1540029884672.jpg (399x400, 13K)

Does anyone know why
Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined method mysqli::password_hash()
appears?
That's the line of where the problem happens... I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, and it works on XAMPP, but not when I host it online.
$password = $mysqli->password_hash($_POST['password'], PASSWORD_BCRYPT);

Also PHP version is 7.1

ask this user