Are floppies going to make a comeback like vinyls?

Are floppies going to make a comeback like vinyls?

Attached: N06AP1R.jpg (2448x3264, 1.44M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The bits are so much warmer on 5-1/4"

Nope. Also kiss your SSD/HDDs goodbye. The cloud is coming for them.

No.
They're still a save icon for the moment.
Within 10 years it will disappear completely and be replaced with a cloud icon

Vinyl ads analog flaws to digital produced songs and are also neat as collectibles with nice huge cover artwork.
Floppies have none of that. Maybe box art but then you could also just have CD ROMs in there.

Vinyls is an objectively better sound storage format than streaming and MP3s, because there is no lossy compression going on. It's impractical as fuck, but it is the same as a CD with regards to capacity and quality and had a comeback because of nostalgia.

Floppies, however, are not objectively better than flash memory sticks in any way. They suffer from data degradation, are extremely error prone, and have extremely low capacity. So probably not.

>Vinyls is an objectively better sound storage format than streaming and MP3s
Oh boy, here we go

>Are floppies going to make a comeback like vinyls?
> comparing a digital storage solution to vinyl
> 8" disk in 5.25" 1541 drive
this entire thread is all kinds of fucking retarded
>Vinyls is an objectively better sound storage format than streaming and MP3s, because there is no lossy compression going on
> he thinks vinyls don't use any compression
is this bait or you pretending to be retarded? you're not getting the entire / original source signal stamped onto a record. the audio has to go through compressors and limiters to conform with the record cutter. records also have a limited frequency range of what can be cut and reproduced by players.

tl;dr: vinyl records are lossy, you stupid cunt.

>Kiss SSDs and HDDs goodbye, your data is now going to be stored on someone else's SSDs and HDDs

No. There aren't as many retards in the tech circuit as there are in the audiofag one.

>It's an "user thinks the cloud is going to replace HDDs/SDDs" episode despite the fact that so server costs for that type of cloud usage would be through the fucking roof and the other more basic technological issues such an endeavor would entail

HDDs and SDDs aren't going anywhere. If anything, flash drives might be a thing of the past in the next 10 years, or at least the lower end ones.

The difference between vinyl and floppy is that a vinyl holds music of length comparable to a CD and theoretically in higher quality, whereas a floppy holds the same bits as any other digital storage format, but about a wet fart worth of them. Most images on Jow Forums nowadays exceed the storage space of a floppy.

>floppies aren't going anywhere
>usb ports aren't going anywhere
>audio jacks aren't going anywhere
>ethernet ports aren't going anywhere
>ssds/hdds aren't going anywhere

Sorry, grandpa.

>hurr iphone has no audio jack this means audio jacks are dead
>hurr chromebook has no real hard drive this means hard drives are dead

I'm only willing to pay for physical copies, anything that doesn't have a physical copy or I don't want a physical copy gets pirated and archived on one of these pic related bad boys or a Sony Optical Disc Archive 3.3tb cartridge
I like SACDs
>not objectively better
All my official release floppies still work, all my over 20 year old back up floppies still work
All my flash memory sticks die in under a year if I don't put them in a computer every now and then

Attached: 1535625111528.jpg (1080x1052, 263K)

>people will never be willing to pay for a download, people aren't that stupid
>paying for a download is now the only legal way to acquire most new media

No.

You can bullshit yourself in believing that vinyl is good for anything other than collecting and looking nice on the shelf and actually has superior audio quality.

You cannot bullshit yourself into believing that a floppy holds equal amounts of information as your flash drive or somehow keeps your data better and more reliably.

>paying for a download is now the only legal way to acquire most new media
Are you fucking retarded?

>All my flash memory sticks die in under a year if I don't put them in a computer every now and then
Are you fucking retarded? Do you know why it's called solid state? We're not in the age of Gameboy cartridges with SRAM batteries anymore.

>Are you fucking retarded?
> Jow Forums

TAKE A FUCKING GUESS

Out of all of those, only the floppy has gone away and that's because they were shitty even when they were common storage appliances. No shit they went away when HDDs became a thing (and a cheap thing to produce en masse). Everything else is literally still in use after 20-40 years since their first appearances, you fucking dolt. I swear, every time I come back to this board, a new brand of retard appears with dumber and dumber arguments about shit they know nothing about.

It's not "analog flaws" that make vinyl sound better with modern music, it's the simple limitations of the format itself.

Shitty modern music will try to "sound loud" even if they really aren't, it's called the loudness war. One of the reasons a growing number of people prefer vinyl is because it can't play a digitally alteration meant to make the music sound louder. It's just the limitations of the needle rolling along the track, the loudness added makes the music sound like static on a vinyl.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

tl;dr modern music producers have gone over the line and customers are reverting to vinyl to fix that

>If anything, flash drives might be a thing of the past in the next 10 years, or at least the lower end ones.
they won't be going anywhere
intellectual retardation: the post
>All my official release floppies still work, all my over 20 year old back up floppies still work
can relate. all my c64 disks, dating back to 1983, still load up perfectly like they were written yesterday. the stock of blanks i have date back three decades and all work 100%.
>I'm only willing to pay for physical copies, anything that doesn't have a physical copy or I don't want a physical copy gets pirated
only way to be. i will only pay for physical copies. can't provide a physical release? fuck you, your shit is now pirated instead.

>One of the reasons a growing number of people prefer vinyl is because it can't play a digitally alteration

You delusional fuck.

I'm not, shitty music just can't be played on vinyl. It has to be pressed as recorded (or pretty close), not as edited.

I'm pretty sure the reason Gameboy and other game cartridges last is because they were flashed.

they should make floppy-shaped SSD with 720GB, 1.44TB and 2.88TB capacities

Attached: sd-card-floppy-drive-100647369-large.jpg (580x406, 26K)

Some later gameboy carts featured a battery of questionable quality for save files, user. This is why there are no original working copies of Pokemon Gold, Silver, or Crystal. You can still play the game, but you can't save and the clock won't work.

No.

>only way to be. i will only pay for physical copies. can't provide a physical release? fuck you, your shit is now pirated instead.
Absolutely based and redpilled
How the fuck can these people expect me to give them money when they don't like their own creation, which they are charging for, enough to give it a proper release?

Attached: tfw you take a physical copy out of its case.png (392x489, 346K)

>vinyls
>came back
never happened. The only people into vinyls are hipster faggots and the same autistic losers and old people that never gave them up in the first place.

I know that, but I thought the reason the game data itself still works after all these years is because it was "flashed" on and not the way data is put on a flash drive through a USB. Not sure if this is true or not, but I read that flash drives could last as long if whatever you put on it such as a game were flashed on like game cartridges and not through a USB drive, of course you wouldn't be able to delete or put anything else on.

nah senpai it's audiophiles who think they can hear the difference and people who think vinyl looks cool
dont like the loudness? just turn down the volume, it works whether it's vinyl or streaming

>the loudness added makes the music sound like static on a vinyl.
that's if the dub plate survives the cutting process. there's only so much signal that can be cut before the cutter starts annihilating a neighbouring track with crosstalk or just cutting right through the wall. mastering engineers have no choice but to have a signal that isn't completely garbage if they want any record to sound any good.
>How the fuck can these people expect me to give them money when they don't like their own creation, which they are charging for, enough to give it a proper release?
i yea agree. i really can't support such shitty business models.
wrong.
> don't like the loudness?
> just turn down the volume of a distorting signal
> signal still distorted just at a lower dB
imagine being this retarded? on Jow Forums of all boards? what a total non-surprise.

Attached: cc0f06fc-1fa5-4cf7-af7f-e78d59fe3387_1.e539ca672fac4ed17e6e2086e3713e94.jpg (2000x2000, 1.74M)

Attached: 71luU0UOswL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 149K)

Its bullshit and you know it. What were masters on? Not a record. It was reel to reel.

Its physically impossible for the vinyl to sound as good as a reel to reel.

Yes as soon as we've develop the magical ability to compress a tb of data into 1.2mb of storage space.

>Its physically impossible for the vinyl to sound as good as a reel to reel.
those pro-vinyl retards have no idea about superior tape formats or know anything about the recording process. too much for their tiny pea shaped brains to comprehend.

nice way to prove his point

>vinyls
anything you say after this is wrong

> a cd-r made to look like a record
> proving a point
> i'm serious, i'm not retarded
you're retarded.

You actually think that is vinyl coming back?

>flash drives might be a thing of the past in the next 10 years
people still use those?
i stopped buying them after i setup a home lan around the mid-2000's

underrated

>correlation means causation

Attached: st,small,215x235-pad,210x230,f8f8f8.lite-1u2.jpg (210x230, 10K)

the reason game carts will last forever is because they're not flash at all, they're mask rom, very different technology

ps. and no, you cannot electrically create mask rom, the data is placed on the chip literally as part of the chips' layout
it's only cost-effective to do with very large quantities (with exactly the same data)

wew, not sure i can tolerate replying any more to you poorly educated fucking morons. i need to sleep. but i will leave you pro-vinyl faggots with a final message:
suicide - just fucking do it.. or learn how the audio mastering process works before vomiting up your retarded facts from the land of fantasy and the make believe.

Ahaha, oh my god, the retard thinks loudness refers to volume control.

Nope, Great Granda told us these newfangled transistor music boxs dont sound right, cold she called them. She had a golden ear ya know.

why. do they sound better than platters?

oh yea, platters you can hear the glass screeching and the way it vibrates is just wrong.
The acoustics of a floppy are a lot more streamlined because of how the floppy can bend without the gong sound of glass platter. Dont even get me started on the aluminum ones.

>dont like the loudness? just turn down the volume
oh my fuck
what is with audio and bringing out people like this?

Dude, you're posting memes about vinyl non-stop without replying to anything anyone is actually saying. We all know you're staying up until your parents wake up.

Based

You picture is 1.44 mb, but your floppy is not MF2HD, please do not make this mistake in the future.

I guess I'm going by personal anecdotes since I don't really use flash drives anymore. Still though, comparing anything we have today to floppies is retarded because everyone knew floppies were shit but couldn't do anything about it till better tech like HDDs and CDs came on the market. There's really no storage tech today that is so bad that its going the way of the floppy. Even with HDDs, they'll probably become more niche for bulk storage uses as SDDs become cheaper, but they won't go away.

yes, we're not 'stuck with' something now like we were with floppies
flash drives alleviated the need for universally supported, random-access, writable, small storage
now we have home networks, wifi, and high speed internet access, which for the most part, eliminates the need for sneakernets (at least for small files)