Programming for my teenage bro?

My brother is very invested in playing older games and is interested in old tech. He's kind of a sperg but has a big interest in game development.
Whats the best way to introduce them to programming without overwhelming them? I think he could do with something that allows him to mess around and have fun for a while before he starts taking it seriously.
Whats the best way to go?

Attached: xdsl.jpg (1152x864, 206K)

Other urls found in this thread:

romhacking.net/start/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

make him install gentoo, learn x86 assembly language and write demoscene releases

Unity

Introduce him to game modding. Game development is hell; between physics, AI, camera, and graphics programming your brother will lose interest. If he wants to develop games he probably doesn't want to sit down and learn recursion and data structures, so it's better to introduce something stupid simple like a minecraft mod.

he should write emulator of 16-bit computers. I tried to play revelations: persona recently, you cant even run with DOSbox.

He's not that particularly crazy about minecraft; he's outgrown it. He's moderately interested in Skyrim tho but he prefers older TES games. What would be the appropriate software to modify various 3D PC games tho?
Also forgot to mention that he has a huge fondness for PS1 games too. For him, the flashier the better. Not sure how easy it would be to mod PS1 games. I'm kind of clueless on both avenues myself desu. Would like to learn alongside him.

>Demoscene releases
Heard a lot about this. Whats a good basic starting point? He'd probably find it interesting to create 3D shapes and other stuff attached to it.

I'm so clueless as to where to go myself.

Games generally have individual software that you use to modify them with created by a community, if they're made for PC.

Modding PS1 games is easier than it seems, but it depends on the game. If he likes older games, I suggest he starts with GBA games and NES games, their ROMs are easy to modify and there is a lot of software out there available to do it, it's more standardized than PlayStation or PC.

My brother is kind of autistic. He is always looking through the behind-the-scenes videos of all kinds of computer games. I really would love to see him fiddle around making small things since it would gradually build his confidence and see him achieve to make some of the stuff he likes to study.
I only have an idea of what he could do but like I mentioned earlier; I really don't want to overwhelm so that he turns away from it. The energy is there.

Is there any specific sites that provide all the kinds of material and software that could do all of this? And how could he learn to use some of the stuff without getting turned off?

Just set him up with a game engine like GoDot or Unity, they have templates you can build off of and a lot of community resources available. Alternatively you could get him something like RPG Maker, which is very easy to use.

Scratch

theres a cool wiki resource but cant think of name, think its sizecoding? have a look for that, its almost explicitly in demoscene context

For the most part it's best to do your own research to find the right tools. But there are sites like romhacking.net which provide a fairly good collection of tools for individual games.

This, just start him off with RPG maker, it's very easy to use, has a lot of guides and tutorials and will ease him into stuff like scripting.

Tell him to make a 2d game about his life and his school or something . Doesn't have to be with good graphics or anything fancy.

Amateur game dev is getting huge. He might be well served by starting there. Tons of material exist to cater to non-programmers.

Alternatively you could introduce him to romhacking. The barrier of entry is a bit higher though.

romhacking.net/start/

>tried to play revelations: persona recently, you cant even run with DOSbox.
Well duh its a ps1 game, negro.

In all honesty OP, install him love2d its lua and the drawing pipeline is very simple, Unity and loldot(if it even runs lel) will just get him in the habit of copypasting poojet tier shit.

this, tell him to make a school shooting simulator and to show it to the girls in his class. girls love a guy with a twisted, nihilistic sense of humour.

What about DOOM? I've never modded for it myself, but I understand it's pretty easy as a starter, it's old and has some technical merit.

He likes DOOM but he's not that particularly crazy about it. He does like the particle effects though.

How to Design Programs. Just go to htdp.org and download Racket. I seriously doubt there is anything close.

If he didn't start programming in elementary school, it's too late