Is ECC memory a meme? Outside of servers...

Is ECC memory a meme? Outside of servers, what is the justifcation for having ECC in a workstation given how DDR4 already has a degree of error correction in the first place

Attached: ecc-vs-nonecc.png (999x721, 35K)

1. you can shit on your non-ecc friends
2. with right amount of investment (proper cpu, proper motherboard, proper psu, water cooling system) you can build a VERY overclockable system, thus getting the performance of 10% more expensive cpu for just 60% higher price.

ecc certifies that it has been blessed by a rabbi

RAM issues can cause all kinds of problems. One bit flipped in the wrong place, and your entire file system breaks.

Basically zfs.

OP if you aren't running a server forget it. your gaymes will not benefit at all from ecc ram.

>about 5 single bit errors in 8 Gigabytes of RAM per hour using the top-end error rate

It's a meme for consumers because it runs slower, which is OK on servers where there are more tasks running in parallel which needs more accuracy. You don't want a server without ECC RAM to process your payments, right?

If you're going to use intense cryptography and use large files than maybe it can be useful
But you're better buying cheap non-ecc memory and running memtest from time to time

Faster resolves of collision means less latency. Pretty simple.

>DDR4 already has a degree of error correction
source, please. This is the first I've heard of this.

Then how comes I haven't noticed any of those over an aggregate of 40 GB of non-ECC memory over 5-10 years?

>given how DDR4 already has a degree of error correction in the first place
You are absolutely full of shit.

if youre asking, you dont need it.

>Then how comes I haven't noticed any of those over an aggregate of 40 GB of non-ECC memory over 5-10 years?
You sure? you are dying a little everyday

Working with large data sets, such as those in simulations that attempt to be as close to reality as possible.

But what if I want to pay only $2 on a $2000 pc?

Every iteration of DDR Memory has better error correcting than the one before it, look it up user.

>he fell for the zfs ECC meme

>Is ECC memory a meme?

lol no. it does error correction

"I might possibly have an error in my calculations"
vs
"I will never have an error in my calculations"

evidently you're not a scientist else you would give a shit
>inb4 muh deep learning low precision
you're a data monkey, not a scientist

>thus getting the performance of 10% more expensive cpu for just 60% higher price.

Attached: 1de.jpg (680x695, 55K)