Canada Job Thread

Canadanons how hard is it to get a job that pays 100K or am i just retarded. Make 50K for reference

Attached: eh.jpg (1200x900, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nationalpost.com/news/canada/city-of-vancouver-criticized-for-boasting-about-low-pay-of-its-tech-workers-in-amazon-hq-bid
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why do people pretend canada isn't a 3rd world country?
Apparently everything costs double what it does in the US and everyone lives within 100 miles of the US border so they drive down to the US to do all their shopping because their money is practically worthless.

that's like 30 years ago dude. also, rent in canada is generally better than in the us. things like food are sometimes dirt cheap in the us, so once in a while we'll go over and get something. but that's rare. nowhere near as much as before. combine that with your paranoia at the border.

Only retards go to the states for groceries. American food is disgusting... Who the fuck wants to eat * based product. Yall niggas don't even have real cheese its just cheese based product.

Go to a real 3rd world country and say that. Fact is Canada is comfy as fuck and the people are generally not a bunch of assholes.

Rent is shit tho, probably not as bad as the US but the pay is shit too so it matches up.

I like how you guys stayed on topic fucking niggers

Shut the fuck up. Also lets stay on topic. Muh pay is shit, live near Vancouver. What do?

I'm a software dev in Vancouver and make 200k at a medium sized company.
I fought tooth and nail for it, and I'm really good at my job.
You can make ~130k at Amazon without much trouble if you can make it through their interview.

Hook me up. I am studying Java two years out of uni and doing CTCI. What were you your interviews like. I can't solve shitall on the whiteboard

Only hongcouver can put SF housing prices to shame

Attached: no really fuck off.png (545x49, 12K)

I have not interviewed at Amazon personally (cppfag, no interest in java), but we've lost a couple employees to them.
If you want to impress at the big corporate interviews CTCI is a fine start, but you'll want to move up to some tougher competitive programming questions. If you suck in whiteboard/pressure situations, the only real solution is practice

Yeah, 200k seems like a lot for Canada, but I still rent.

>200k
>canada
I don't believe you user, there is a reason developers leave this country in droves. 70 - 80k is the typical high end canadian tech salary.

50k in Canada is the norm starting out unlike the states. The harsh truth is unless you want to go into project management, or IS you are making trash salaries in tech. Emigrating south is how you make real money.

speaking of money you guys got friends that do patreons on the side
what do they do and how you get $$$

Don't bother, Amazon was outright bragging about how they can pay half what they do to employees in Seattle in Vancouver.
nationalpost.com/news/canada/city-of-vancouver-criticized-for-boasting-about-low-pay-of-its-tech-workers-in-amazon-hq-bid

>100k canadian is only 70k US
>200k canadian is only 140k US and not everyone is going to get that and the ones that do have to live in places where the cost of living is so high that it only goes half as far anyway.

t. Make 106K US working part time (12 weeks/yr) as Government IT Contractor.

That was hard to read. "The lowest-cost tech hub in North America". Seems like canadian devs are getting cucked by american companies.

I am immigrant in Canada as it is with a Canadian degree from a top school in the province. Going down south seems even harder. How will are american tech companies to hire remote workers?

Attached: canapepe.jpg (250x248, 10K)

130k is for fresh grads, though. If you have experience, you can get much more than that.

Jow Forums is an absolute shithole.

its technology related you bitch

A good 50-75% of my class left Canada to work in SF/San Jose/Seattle/NY because the pay in Canada is so awful. There is no reason to stay in Canada if you can make it in Cali if you care about money. UW btw

Depends. Do you have any qualifications and will past employers give you great references (yes we check)?

I suppose those would be foreign students.

No, mostly Canadians. Chinese students usually go back to China.

I have held the job for a few years, starting salary was much lower than that, so ya I got a few qualifications. Employers will give good references too

on top of the already super low pay in canada, canada is taking in record numbers of immigrants per capita, the highest of any country in the world
a ton of them are skilled labor on work visas that companies use to hire cheap skilled labor which drastically undercuts wages
anybody with a shred of STEM talent in canada needs to leave asap if they want to make money
for me what was shocking was how much easier it was to get hired in the states. after I finished my masters I was struggling to find data science work in canada, with recruiters not getting back to me for weeks and a lot of disinterest. it wasn't until I started applying in america that I realized how hotly I was desired, with recruiters getting back to me within a few minutes and interviews happening almost the day after I applied