Favorite programming book not on a chart?

Mine goes to Touretzky's "Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation", an excellent book if you've never done any programming. The first 2 or 3 chapters you do "programming" on paper, which I thought was rather fun. The only downside to this books applies to nearly every programming book: You have to figure out some kind of text editor and how to install the language, in this case Common Lisp. My favorite part of this book comes from the problems/exercises, there are so many of them and they really help. I'd recommend this book to anyone who hasn't programmed before or has only read one intro book. Beyond that it probably won't interest you. Oh and it's available for free: cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/book.pdf - Though I do recommend picking up a physical copy, either the old or new edition, doesn't matter which.

Attached: SYM.jpg (260x326, 25K)

Easily one of my top books is Programming From The Ground Up

Attached: yuthrkbabcgd.jpg (1920x1440, 1.56M)

Zelle's Python Programming was my first book and I liked it. I do think starting with SICP is better. Possibly even Composing Programs is the best way though.

I've read that and was not amused.

Why not?

Attached: 1877524.jpg (307x400, 19K)

Attached: cover.jpg (300x390, 86K)

Attached: craft-cover.png (432x648, 54K)

Attached: 61QhOtVb0ML._SX342_QL70_.jpg (342x423, 40K)

Attached: wirth.png (638x321, 30K)

Attached: ssa.png (539x696, 77K)

although parser chapters in all compiler books are full of useless crap on how to parse poorly designed grammars that anyone sane would rather avoid

Attached: algo.png (483x692, 39K)

simple but refined guaranteed to blow your mind
THE LAND OF LISP

with an exception of wirth ofc

>simple but refined guaranteed to blow your mind
any time?

is it still readable ?

125 pages in and it's pretty generic first introduction to programming
when does it start to be interesting?

The language is super useful. For most of that, the first chapter is enough. Read on for a few much deeper topics that are of interest independent of the language. A simple file-based database is introduced, some parsing, and in general lots of stuff you would never think to use AWK for. But it works well and all example code is very simple and elegant.

Attached: download-awk-book.png (541x660, 342K)

Algorithm Design Manual
Competitive Programmer Handbook

Admittedly, most of it is indeed pretty generic. It just happens to describe games. However, Dice of Doom really goes beyond what you'd expect. Reading that you will learn a few things you likely didn't know yet, not just about Common Lisp.

Attached: functional javascript book.png (827x844, 427K)

No bullshit

Attached: 99D0DB87-ED10-433F-8743-E8B21AB08E94.png (997x1230, 138K)

trash